PDA

View Full Version : Problems with a 9800GX2

Buckeye
09-08-2008, 05:57 AM
Hi everyone.

Trying to get my bench setup with BlackOps. I have flashed to G28 using a E8500 and RAM shown in my sig.

The board works great with a 8800gtx but as soon as I put on a 9800GX2 it will not post, it will not even get to BIOS.

This happen from the very start of setting this up, meaning it was the first GPU I tried to run on this. I could not get it to work so I put in a 8800gtx and everything worked fine.

I have searched around and just not coming up with anything that would explain my problem.

Thanks for any help !

MusicIsMyLife
09-08-2008, 06:30 AM
Do you get a post code on your board?

Slovnaft
09-08-2008, 06:32 AM
have you tried the card in other mobos? my first guess would be an issue with the card.

Buckeye
09-08-2008, 06:56 AM
I believe the code was E7, I will recheck that tho.

Yes the card came from the system in my sig and has had no problems what so ever.

I tried the card in the blue and red PCI slots but recieved the same problem.

Slovnaft
09-08-2008, 09:18 AM
ooo hows the quad-sli nowadays? I'm about to go totally nVidia (sig rig is intheworks) and there hasn't been a whisper about quadsli lately.
Sry, a bit OT.

Seeing as there have been recent posts of 9800gx2 with blackops I have no reason to believe it's the board alone.
did you do your driver cleaner, etc?

Buckeye
09-08-2008, 10:07 AM
ooo hows the quad-sli nowadays? I'm about to go totally nVidia (sig rig is intheworks) and there hasn't been a whisper about quadsli lately.
Sry, a bit OT.

Seeing as there have been recent posts of 9800gx2 with blackops I have no reason to believe it's the board alone.
did you do your driver cleaner, etc?

With the BlackOps you can only use 1x 9800GX2 so no Quad SLI. And with that it has been a complete clean install so no need for driver cleaner.

As soon as I plug in the 9800GX2 it will not post, boot or anything.

Quad SLI runs just fine on the equipment in my sig.

MusicIsMyLife
09-08-2008, 10:07 AM
I believe the code was E7, I will recheck that tho.

Maybe 1E? If yes, you probably have the same situation like me since r600 on ati-side and g92 on nvidia-side.

A long time ago I had a 8800 gts 320 which worked perfect for me. After I put in a 2900xt (or later a 8800 gts 512) my monitor (HP LP2065) didnīt show a picture. But after several attempts I realized that the system was up and running because I could shut down the rig by pressing windows -> arrow up -> enter -> arrow down -> enter.

Here is the thing that I found out: My monitor has a problem with newer vgas because everytime I boot up the system first time a day, I get a black screen (but as said the system is running fine).

Since I use a kvm-switch I change the pc and start a pc that has a simple onboard-vga. When I get a picture on my monitor I can switch back to the other pc, power it on and then I get a picture on that too. :eek:

I donīt know the reason why this happens but I can handle that. If it is the same issue with your gx2 than you can try this: Put in your 8800 gtx and power on your rig. When you have a picture on your screen power down your pc (but donīt switch off your psu). Change cards to gx2 and power on again. If itīs the same problem you will get a screen than....

jolliffee
09-09-2008, 02:53 AM
I've an EVGA e-GeForce 9800GX2 SSC in mine, and it has worked fine from day one even prior to drivers being loaded. No help other than saying it works for me.

saaya
09-09-2008, 03:23 AM
have you tried both dvi slots on the card?
did you check if the cards power cables are connected properly?
is the card seated in the pciE slot properly?
whats the boot code, did you check again?

there is a pciE issue with p35/x38/x48 which causes the vga to not initialize properly.
Ive seen this on many boards, especially when i worked at cellshock where i rebooted a dozen systems every couple of minutes each and swapped the memory.
Anyways, moving the vga around from one slot to the other usually solves it after changing it a few times.
sounds like you tried that already tho, so that doesnt seem to be the issue... weird...

what psu are you using?

Buckeye
09-09-2008, 04:14 AM
have you tried both dvi slots on the card?
did you check if the cards power cables are connected properly?
is the card seated in the pciE slot properly?
whats the boot code, did you check again?

there is a pciE issue with p35/x38/x48 which causes the vga to not initialize properly.
Ive seen this on many boards, especially when i worked at cellshock where i rebooted a dozen systems every couple of minutes each and swapped the memory.
Anyways, moving the vga around from one slot to the other usually solves it after changing it a few times.
sounds like you tried that already tho, so that doesnt seem to be the issue... weird...

what psu are you using?

The PSU I am using on my bench is a Cooler Master UCP 1100W, this is a Beta Test unit that I have used for awhile now. With my rig posted in sig it has held a max load of 861watts with that system and 2x 9800GX2's. I don't think it is the power supply.

I will have to reinstall the 9800GX2 back into the BlackOps again and double check the codes as I do not remember what they were.

saaya
09-09-2008, 04:59 AM
if you can do that thatd be great... and can you keep it set up for a few days and try a thing or two our engineers might ask you to check what the problem is? :D

TheGanG
09-09-2008, 05:45 AM
I have my EVGA 9800GX2 SC on BlackOps and works pretty good (on slot 1 or 2)... But a few days ago tested a 4870 and a 3870X2, then my GX2 SC didn't work again, not even a sign of live... Tried a few times to install my VGA again and worked... Installed GX2 SC VGA drivers again... ;)

saaya
09-09-2008, 06:30 AM
hmmmm so you had to insert the card a few times?
take it in and out, in and out, and then it worked?

thats exactly the pciE issue i had on so many boards...
actually ive even seen it on amd boards... its some weird pciE thing... hmmmm
maybe its bad contact in the pciE slot?

SF3D
09-09-2008, 06:39 AM
Buckeye-

What post code you are getting with 9800GX2? You said it doesn't even get in to bios, so you don't have display signal then.

Have you tried both 1/2 DVI connectors in 9800GX2.

Buckeye
09-09-2008, 07:04 AM
Buckeye-

What post code you are getting with 9800GX2? You said it doesn't even get in to bios, so you don't have display signal then.

Have you tried both 1/2 DVI connectors in 9800GX2.

It will not get into BIOS, or post. Yes I have tried both slots and both connectors. All lights light up fine on the card, the green and blue lights, fan comes on. I tired many times reinserting the card to make sure it was installed correctly.

I will install the card back in today and get the codes.

TheGanG
09-09-2008, 07:27 AM
hmmmm so you had to insert the card a few times?
take it in and out, in and out, and then it worked?

thats exactly the pciE issue i had on so many boards...
actually ive even seen it on amd boards... its some weird pciE thing... hmmmm
maybe its bad contact in the pciE slot?

Yeah, PC was working, i kno that, but my LCD was black and sum GX2 lights was out... It may be a pci e issue but i use different VGA cards and it didn't happen again... Jerking* my GX2 right now, it still works without an issue :D Thanks...

ZillaPct
09-09-2008, 08:11 AM
The Nvidia 9800x2 Video configuration mode working only in this mode:

The dvi cable working only when at boot sistem the VGA cable is linked to first port under blue led.
http://www.pctunerup.com/up/results/_200809/th_20080909180401_P1010002.JPG (http://www.pctunerup.com/up/image.php?src=_200809/20080909180401_P1010002.JPG)

The Vga power plug at sistem boot must be in green led condition .
http://www.pctunerup.com/up/results/_200809/th_20080909180427_P1010004.JPG (http://www.pctunerup.com/up/image.php?src=_200809/20080909180427_P1010004.JPG)

My Zotac Vga test 9800GX2 working correctly with any official bios P02->05 and any beta bios G25->G30

Buckeye
09-09-2008, 08:37 AM
Well interesting. On my Nvidia machine I have the video cable on the other connector and it works fine.

On BlackOps its a no post with error code of 7F

So I just relooked at my Nvidia machine which is in a TJ07 and the video cable is connected to the very top VGA connector, or the closest VGA to the main PCB of the card.

On BlackOps I used the same VGA connector and get error 7F

I just tried the other VGA connector and it now boots. Funny thing is I am 100% sure I tried that on the weekend and had a no boot.

I will keep messing with it to see if I can reporduce the same errors codes or VGA connectors.

Slovnaft
09-09-2008, 08:57 AM
See this is why i just traded this board for a QX6850. random seemingly inexplicable problem.
oh and ZillaPct seems you need to update your sig...

Xello
09-09-2008, 09:08 AM
Hi Buckeye, the error code 7F has this troubleshooting info:

7F
When the system detects that a critical error happened during the last boot attempt or several boot attempts failed, so OC recovery kicked in. There should be a message displayed on the Display informing you that OC revocery kicked in and that its waiting for your input to enter BIOS. If you cant see this message cause your Display stays black, please check the description for POST Code 2b.

And here is 2b:

2b
When the system powers on and the Debug LED shows the usual POST code sequence but hangs on 2b or you get a beep code as soon as the sequence reaches 2b, then the Mainboard cant detect your Videocard properly. Note that the POST code sequence might not halt at 2b but continue, so the final POST Code it displays could be FF, 1E or 7F which means the Maiboard booted, entered BIOS, or OC recovery kicked in and is waiting for Input to enter BIOS. Since the Videocard couldnt be detected properly you will only see a black Monitor and either 2b, FF, 1E or 7F. Check if there is something wrong with the Videocard, the PCIE slot or BUS, the Monitor or monitor cable. Turn the Monitor on and off, switch the Monitor cable from one D-SUB or DVI plug to the other in case your Videocard has two. If this doesnt help then reboot and load the optimized defaults. If that doesnt help either try another Videocard if possible, or try the Videocard in another system to make sure its working properly. Try another monitor or try the Monitor on another System.

Taken from http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=190952

raptor1
09-09-2008, 10:06 AM
i too am having a problem with my 9800gx2 - only a week old

only got it to work twice and just about managed to get screenshots of 3dmark 06 results and GPU-Z.0.2.7

my board would power on with a post code of FF then power off

on next power on it would continue until post code 40 and sit there for ages -with no display on the monitor

then it would continue on to post code 54 and stays beeping continusly and would go no further

if i disconnected the 6 pin and 8pin power cables my board would get to boot

i have an RMA got from BFG but i am holding off just to see if anyone has any ideas

i am using a bfg 8800gt oc with out any problems with the same settings

any help would be appreciated

my sig is current with my setup at the moment

raptor1
(previously known as flanr)

Buckeye
09-09-2008, 10:32 AM
Hi Buckeye, the error code 7F has this troubleshooting info:

7F
When the system detects that a critical error happened during the last boot attempt or several boot attempts failed, so OC recovery kicked in. There should be a message displayed on the Display informing you that OC revocery kicked in and that its waiting for your input to enter BIOS. If you cant see this message cause your Display stays black, please check the description for POST Code 2b.

And here is 2b:

2b
When the system powers on and the Debug LED shows the usual POST code sequence but hangs on 2b or you get a beep code as soon as the sequence reaches 2b, then the Mainboard cant detect your Videocard properly. Note that the POST code sequence might not halt at 2b but continue, so the final POST Code it displays could be FF, 1E or 7F which means the Maiboard booted, entered BIOS, or OC recovery kicked in and is waiting for Input to enter BIOS. Since the Videocard couldnt be detected properly you will only see a black Monitor and either 2b, FF, 1E or 7F. Check if there is something wrong with the Videocard, the PCIE slot or BUS, the Monitor or monitor cable. Turn the Monitor on and off, switch the Monitor cable from one D-SUB or DVI plug to the other in case your Videocard has two. If this doesnt help then reboot and load the optimized defaults. If that doesnt help either try another Videocard if possible, or try the Videocard in another system to make sure its working properly. Try another monitor or try the Monitor on another System.

Taken from http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=190952

Thanks Xello !

saaya
09-09-2008, 05:10 PM
7F means the board booted fine and is showing you the "OC RECOVERY" message. if you hit any key itll enter BIOS and should jump to 1E.
So basically the board booted fine, the vga just doesnt put out a signal to the display, or the display isnt working for some reason.

you will get these symptoms when:
the wrong vga plug is used
the vga cable is not connected properly
the vga cable is broken
the vga power cable is not connected properly
the psu is too weak for the vga
the monitor is damaged
there is a bug with the vga BIOS
there is a bug with the mainboards BIOS

In case of the 4870x2 cards for example it was the vga BIOS, thought its always hard to point fingers and actually pretty useless, lets just say it was a compatibility issue between vga and mainboard.

See this is why i just traded this board for a QX6850. random seemingly inexplicable problem.
sorry to hear that... what problems exactly did you get?

oh and ZillaPct seems you need to update your sig...im not sure... hes talking about PL8... not PL12 or whatever the asus 710fsb was with :)

saaya
09-09-2008, 05:16 PM
i too am having a problem with my 9800gx2 - only a week old

only got it to work twice and just about managed to get screenshots of 3dmark 06 results and GPU-Z.0.2.7what happened after that? so you were benching 3d, all was good, and then the card didnt boot anymore?

my board would power on with a post code of FF then power off

on next power on it would continue until post code 40 and sit there for ages -with no display on the monitor

then it would continue on to post code 54 and stays beeping continusly and would go no further
check the post code guide i wrote here:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=190952

what you are describing sounds like a memory issue.
Sounds like you pushed the memory/fsb too high and its not stable.
whats memory and cpu are you using and what speeds and voltages are you running it all at? the same configuration works with another vga though?
thats quite weird...

if i disconnected the 6 pin and 8pin power cables my board would get to boot thats normal afaik, you get the red leds on the power plugs and then it doesnt boot right?

Xello
09-09-2008, 09:20 PM
Yeah error code 54 with beeping, i always got that when i tighten CAS too much, so might try looking there.

raptor1
09-10-2008, 03:15 AM
what happened after that? so you were benching 3d, all was good, and then the card didnt boot anymore?

that is correct it worked fine for 2 days and then it started to misbehave

check the post code guide i wrote here:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=190952

yes i have checked here and no joy

what you are describing sounds like a memory issue.
Sounds like you pushed the memory/fsb too high and its not stable.
whats memory and cpu are you using and what speeds and voltages are you running it all at? the same configuration works with another vga though?
thats quite weird...

the settings that i am using are in my signature - i have a BFG tech 8800gt card and it works with these settings every time

thats normal afaik, you get the red leds on the power plugs and then it doesnt boot right?

it does boot but i cant see any thing on the display - how i know it boots is it goes all the way through the post codes non stop to FF

BulldogPO
09-10-2008, 03:27 AM
saaya: have you receiver my e-mails?

Slovnaft
09-10-2008, 05:11 AM
ahh saaya, well it started out like any other board, posted and booted fine and dandy everythings working fine at stock speeds etc. Then I go to start overclcoking and, because I'm running Q9450 this means cranking fsb (unlike many who buy this board who run QX's). get from stock 333 to 400 in one step no problem, but anything over 400 won't post and most end up in that annoying 54 post code or something like that sometimes with constant beeping etc. Figured it was probably RAM related (mushkin 2x2 1600 7-7-6-18). Ran every divider available, even tried strapping 1:1. Got timings help from greg, etc. Ends up that the board will only be stable at a higher fsb with an increase in RAM voltage for every 10mhz step or so. Now this seems odd, but i go along with it up to like 430fsb and about 2.05v. Then i get the bright idea to see if my RAM is broken and I reset CMOS, everything at stock, and run memtest. Sure enough memtest fails right away and at every address. Not wanting to believe my $300 ram is really dead, i pop it on my ASUS P5Q3 to memtest again and, guess what, even at stock speeds (which that board is supposed to have issues with) the RAM goes 5 full passes before i get bored and satisfied.
So, OK, for some reason BlackOps doesn't like my RAM. No big deal, I guess i need a 2x1 ddr3 kit anyway for...other stuff...
So I got an OCZ 2x1 1333 6-6-6-20 kit on there and it posts fine, boots fine, passes memtest and everything, but the board is still unstable at any fsb above 410, and won't post higher than 430. Now, given I was able to get my Q9450 to 3.8 on my old gigabyte X48 board, and given the P5Q3 was able to run my chip at 3.9g 1.29v stable 4.0 math benchable, i figured I had a pretty golden proc on my hands and i shouldnt let it sit on a board that couldn't do more than 400fsb stable.
So I unloaded it.

Sorry for the short biography, somewhat of a vent, maybe it's OT, maybe it's not.

saaya
09-14-2008, 05:36 AM
that is correct it worked fine for 2 days and then it started to misbehaveand you tried both dvi connectors? and the vga works in another system?

hmmmm are you overclocking the pciE bus? the gx2 cards dont like as high pciE clocks as single cards i think, maybe thats why the 8800gt works and the gx2 doesnt?

and a dual card might put more load on the chipset, which means the same fsb/mem timings arent stable anymore. can you boot fine with the gx2 at stock cpu/fsb speeds?

saaya: have you receiver my e-mails?
probably, but ive got 200 still waiting to be read, and every email i reply to spawns 1 or 2 new emails, so its taking longer to catch up with my emails than i thought :D

Slovnaft, sorry to hear about those issues :(
can you make a thread about this with all the settings your using?
and if you remember, also the settings you used on the gigabyte board?
thanks! :toast:

Slovnaft
09-14-2008, 02:40 PM
Slovnaft, sorry to hear about those issues :(
can you make a thread about this with all the settings your using?
and if you remember, also the settings you used on the gigabyte board?
thanks! :toast:

Sry saaya, blackops shipped out for trade about a week ago and gigabyte is long gone. i should start keeping notes though. :cool:
but you might want to check out mushkin compatibility with blackops? there seemed to be a problem with those sitcks in particular.

Sorry for the tangent.

saaya
09-14-2008, 06:51 PM
Sry saaya, blackops shipped out for trade about a week ago and gigabyte is long gone. i should start keeping notes though. :cool:
but you might want to check out mushkin compatibility with blackops? there seemed to be a problem with those sitcks in particular.

Sorry for the tangent.
hmmm too bad :(
thanks for the headsup regarding the mushkin problem :toast:

raptor1
09-15-2008, 03:48 AM
hmmmm are you overclocking the pciE bus? the gx2 cards dont like as high pciE clocks as single cards i think, maybe thats why the 8800gt works and the gx2 doesnt?

when the motherboard is overclocked, does this automatically overclock the pcie bus or is there a seperate setting in the bios for overclocking the pcie bus,
as i would like to check if the pcie bus on my motherboard is overclocked

raptor1

Slovnaft
09-15-2008, 04:27 AM
pcie bus frequency is a serpararte setting in BIOS and I don't believe it ever gets changed automaticallly by BIOS.
However, I read a review on 9800gx2 that claimed it's clock was linked to the pcie bus clock in the same way as the 9600 gt. the review linked to this article which explained the interesting phenomenon between the card and the pcie bus http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/Shady_9600_GT/1.html . I'm not sure this shines any new light on the issue with blackops, but it could answer your pcie bus question.

saaya
09-15-2008, 10:34 PM
when the motherboard is overclocked, does this automatically overclock the pcie bus or is there a seperate setting in the bios for overclocking the pcie bus,
as i would like to check if the pcie bus on my motherboard is overclocked

raptor1
it doesnt overclock the pciE bus by itself, and yes, theres a seting in bios to adjust the pciE bus clock. :)

raptor1
09-24-2008, 05:31 AM
finally decided to rma the card

new card has arrived and is working now without any of the previous problems:D

Raptor1

gmcg
09-26-2008, 10:19 AM
It looks like a problem of all Nvidia cards. While you try to overclock the PCI-E bus clock, there is some lock, even clearing of the BIOS doesn't help. Your card doesn't post video at all, the motherboard shows 2d error (video card is not recognized) and then goes to FF. I had that problem with 9800GX2 and then tried 280GTX and 9600GT with the same result - it looks that recognition of the video card is locked somehow, and BIOS reset doesn't help. With ATI cards there is no issue.
Why overclocking of PCI-E in BIOS is not cleared with CMOS reset or even removing the battery for 24 hours - it is another question.
To get rid of situation we need to remove overclocking of the PCI-E bus manually using any ATI card/old Nvidia card or just stop using overclocking of PCI-E at all, IMO.

Slovnaft
09-26-2008, 10:24 AM
OCing recent nvidia cards is automatically tied to raising the PCIE bus isn't it? (citing article in my last post)

gmcg
09-26-2008, 11:08 AM
OCing recent nvidia cards is automatically tied to raising the PCIE bus isn't it? (citing article in my last post)

I was talking about this setting *PCI Express clock (100MHz value on the picture):
http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/5632/img3173copydx2.jpg

Slovnaft
09-26-2008, 11:14 AM
yeah that's what i'm talking about too. read the article i posted. it's referenced in an article about the 9800gx2. if what you're saying about the pcie freq. is true then this may be the source of the problem.

gmcg
09-26-2008, 02:00 PM
yeah that's what i'm talking about too. read the article i posted. it's referenced in an article about the 9800gx2. if what you're saying about the pcie freq. is true then this may be the source of the problem.
Yes, your article is a key, IMO.
Why would I lie? Anyone can repeat/confirm the situation with his own overclocked motherboard and videocard, though he has to have an old video card or ATI videocard to be able to restore the settings.

raptor1
09-29-2008, 03:50 AM
Hi!All

it must be obvious by now from this thread that there is a problem with the 9800 GX2 and the Blackops

being a computer engineer for the last 15 years i generally can sort out most problems my self (except overclocking issues and this current issue) hence i don't post here that often, but when i do, this is the best place i have come accross for sorting out issues

i have posted a solution on a number of threads here and at benchtec that seemed to work in the last week or so, that can be disregarded as it only worked for a day

i think the issue with x48 and 9800 gx2 is not fully fixed yet, i read an article a while back but i can't find it at the moment

i have spent the last 2 weekends trying to get my 2nd 9800 gx2 (had to rma the 1st) to work properly with countless reinstalls of winxp x86, winxp x64, vista x64 and all with the same result crysis just will not play without crashing and it happens on my 8800gt as well

with the 9800 gx2 my mb also gives loads of different post codes, d3, 54, 61, clearing the cmos and removing the battery does not help

also what triggers the code 54 is if i need to reset my cmos for any reason then the code 54 starts, the only way to clear it is to put in an older card, restore my settings from the storage and but back in the 9800 gx2 and it will let my pc post but still not let any games work

it does not matter if the mb is running at stock or overclocked, whether it is raid or non-raid, and also regardless of what graphics driver version

sounds like you tried that already tho, so that doesnt seem to be the issue... weird

It looks like a problem of all Nvidia cards. While you try to overclock the PCI-E bus clock, there is some lock, even clearing of the BIOS doesn't help. Your card doesn't post video at all, the motherboard shows 2d error (video card is not recognized) and then goes to FF. I had that problem with 9800GX2 and then tried 280GTX and 9600GT with the same result - it looks that recognition of the video card is locked somehow, and BIOS reset doesn't help. With ATI cards there is no issue.
Why overclocking of PCI-E in BIOS is not cleared with CMOS reset or even removing the battery for 24 hours - it is another question.
To get rid of situation we need to remove overclocking of the PCI-E bus manually using any ATI card/old Nvidia card or just stop using overclocking of PCI-E at all, IMO.

one solution seems to be as suggested above by saaya and gmcg, but this is not an acceptable solution, my board is on the bench at the moment so it is not really a hassle of swapping the board from one slot to another or trying older cards to reset the pcie clock, but once my board goes in to my case, i am not going to go through this hassle

i have tried an old ati x1600 and a nvidia 7950 gt on the blackops and crysis works perfectly in both winxp and vista without crashing

i also put the 9800gx2 in to a hp dx2300 with an intel 946gz chipset and again eveything works fine

i was at i34 and was at the foxconn stand where they were using a 9800 gx2 and they didn't seem to have any problems with it, although they were not playing games but were just benchmarking with 3dmark and wprime

all my current hardware and settings are in my signature

so after all that, i think we need a bios fix for the blackops or a video bios fix for the 9800 gx2

i was ready to ditch the blackops after this weekend, but i don't want to as i love this board and it is by far the best motherboard i ever had, we just need to get these issues sorted ASAP

Best Regards
Raptor1

Slovnaft
09-29-2008, 07:06 AM
try popping in the 7950, but set PCI E clock at 101, 105, 110, and 115 sequentially. See if/where it fails along there.

gmcg
09-29-2008, 07:17 AM
Hi!All

so after all that, i think we need a bios fix for the blackops or a video bios fix for the 9800 gx2

i was ready to ditch the blackops after this weekend, but i don't want to as i love this board and it is by far the best motherboard i ever had, we just need to get these issues sorted ASAP

Best Regards
Raptor1

Hi Raptor1, thanks for your input. I would not blame BlackOps motherboard so much regarding this issue, such as not only 9800gx2, but also 280GTX and 9600GT (which I have tried) have pretty similar issue with it. Of course proper recognition of newer Nvidia videocards is a task of BlackOps (or more precisely, x48 chipset), but after 790i instability issues in this year we all understand that the PC world is not perfect, at least for now.

I have already lost some money swapping from 790i Ultra to BlackOps, now it looks it is a good time to lose some more money swapping 9800gx2 to 4780x2 ... the 9800gx2 has lost like 50% of value since I bought it during EVGA's 90 days step-up process "updating" my old 8800GTX ... in April.

Even having those issues I also love BlackOps ... it is the best motherboard I ever had as well - except of it's technical support.

LardArse
09-29-2008, 06:20 PM
Can't let that happen.... I think the older bioses work better with GX2, my memoryh is getting short, try G28 and backwards :)

raptor1
09-30-2008, 02:54 AM
Can't let that happen.... I think the older bioses work better with GX2, my memoryh is getting short, try G28 and backwards :)

thanks for that

if the older bioses work better with the GX2 why is it not carried through on all new versions of the bios, instead of us having to flash down to an older bios and maybe loose something else that works in the newer bioses

i have already tried g27, will try g26 as i can't go lower as i well loose full support for E8xxx cpu

what do you mean by "can't let that happen"

Best Regards
Raptor1

LardArse
09-30-2008, 03:47 AM
just that they should reciprocate that love you have for the black ops with the bios for you :D

gmcg
09-30-2008, 06:15 AM
just that they should reciprocate that love you have for the black ops with the bios for you :D

Thanks, LardArse :D

I have received my board from RMA and now it works (I mean it passes 2d code stop), I can't say that it works fine though (they have flashed P05 BIOS in it).
I am not overclocking it for now. 9800GX2 was replaced with 4780x2 temporarily (or may be forever).

I am getting a strange message during BIOS start-up (it is usually posted twice, like this):
*WARNING: HAVE OPTION ROM CAN NOT BE INVOKE (VENDOR ID:197Bh, DIVCIE ID: 2363h)
*WARNING: HAVE OPTION ROM CAN NOT BE INVOKE (VENDOR ID:197Bh, DIVCIE ID: 2363h)

What does it mean? Why DIVCIE, not DEVICE?

PS. OK, found something while I wait for the answer:
Vendor ID = 197bh, JMicron Technologies, Inc.
Such as I don't use eSATA, I will disable it in BIOS and see what happens with the error message.

raptor1
09-30-2008, 11:15 AM

Thanks as well from me, LARDARSE

bad news i'm afraid, i have tried every bios from G25 TO G30 and i still get that 54 post code even at bios defaults when i put in the gx2:mad:

the gx2 works fine in 2 different boards i have here, an asus maximus extreme and a board with an intel 946 chipset

my blackops is now constantly staying at post code 54 and the clear cmos is not working

removed the battery and now i am getting an 0c post code even with an old ati x1600 graphics card

this is getting redicoulus, i am going to rma the blackops and hope i just have a faulty board:(

best regards
Raptor1

gmcg
09-30-2008, 11:43 AM
Thanks as well from me, LARDARSE

bad news i'm afraid, i have tried every bios from G25 TO G30 and i still get that 54 post code even at bios defaults when i put in the gx2:mad:

the gx2 works fine in 2 different boards i have here, an asus maximus extreme and a board with an intel 946 chipset

my blackops is now constantly staying at post code 54 and the clear cmos is not working

removed the battery and now i am getting an 0c post code even with an old ati x1600 graphics card

this is getting redicoulus, i am going to rma the blackops and hope i just have a faulty board:(

best regards
Raptor1

Hmm, 54 looks like a memory controller/memory chips issue, did you try to use just one stick in a memory slot? Did you try to loose settings or to raise voltage on your memory?

http://www.xtremesystems.org/FORUMS/showthread.php?t=190952&highlight=LardArse+error+code

54 Intel memory configuration and testing code (54 with beeping, check detailled description on the top)
54 - Memory Sizing Code

54 with beeping
This POST Code is a part of the above initial memory configuration and testing Codes, but If the Debug LEDs display 54 with a lot of beeping, it might be something else. When you apply new settings in BIOS and hit save and exit you might get this error. It doesnt NECESSARILY mean that the settings you tried to apply dont work. Keep the power button pressed for 4 seconds to shut the board down - wait 10 seconds - then power the board on again. OC revocery will kick in, enter BIOS but just hit "save and exit" and see if the settings work now. If you get error 54 with beeps again the settings your trying wont work, most likely cause the memory cant take it. Check if the set of memory has been tested by us or any other user, search for topics/threads in the foxconn section about this set of memory to see how other users are configuring it.

raptor1
09-30-2008, 12:07 PM
hi gmcg

yes i have tried with stock settings and bios defaults, have tried the blue and white slots and with only with one stick

i have a pair of ocz 1800( the reason i got the cellshock) and it happens with that memory as well

the cellshock memory is been used at stock values in the asus and is working fine

i wont be overclocking the asus (the blackops replaced this) as i will be only using it until my blackops is replaced, unless someone has another solution i can try

Raptor1

saaya
09-30-2008, 10:34 PM
To get rid of situation we need to remove overclocking of the PCI-E bus manually using any ATI card/old Nvidia card or just stop using overclocking of PCI-E at all, IMO.even removing the bios battery doesnt reset the pciE clocks? thats really odd... or maybe the videocards somehow lock their pll to the pciE clocks and this setting is saved on the vga even when you remove it from the system? hmmmm i def need to check this out... weird...

i think the issue with x48 and 9800 gx2 is not fully fixed yet, i read an article a while back but i can't find it at the momentits a general pciE issue... ive seen this on intel and amd plattforms on asus gigiabyte and foxconn boards alike when i worked for cellshock... but that issue was a one off only, after maybe 100-500 system reboots the card might not be detected, black screen, and the board boots fine. in that case moving the card around in the pciE slots solved the problem.

i have spent the last 2 weekends trying to get my 2nd 9800 gx2 (had to rma the 1st) to work properly with countless reinstalls of winxp x86, winxp x64, vista x64 and all with the same result crysis just will not play without crashing and it happens on my 8800gt as welldid you overclock the pciE bus?
did you overclock the videocards?
you tried fresh installs so i guess drivers clutting up is not causing this?
hmmmmm

with the 9800 gx2 my mb also gives loads of different post codes, d3, 54, 61, clearing the cmos and removing the battery does not helpthose are all memory errors indicating either your memory is not fully stable or the fsb is not fully stable, which would explain why crysis keeps crashing regardless of what card you use.

also what triggers the code 54 is if i need to reset my cmos for any reason then the code 54 starts, the only way to clear it is to put in an older card, restore my settings from the storage and but back in the 9800 gx2 and it will let my pc post but still not let any games workthats weird... i always just had to shut down the board, wait 5 seconds and then turn it on again.
if i power it on again immediatly or use the reset button then itll beep and give me code 54 again. are you sure you have to put in another card to get the system to boot at all? if yes, did you overclock the pciE bus before or the VGA?

So far i thought the vga takes the pciE clock as reference and multiplies it to get its gpu clocks, but its starting to sound like overclocking the gpu actually overclocks the pciE bus and the multiplyer of the pciE clock to create the gpu clock remains the same? if thats the case then overclocking the gpu will overclock the pciE bus, which would explain those issues...
that would be incredibly stupid and weird from nvidia though... i find it hard to believe that this is whats happeing...

but just to be sure, please let me know if your overclocking the gpu at all or if its running at stock speeds.

it does not matter if the mb is running at stock or overclocked, whether it is raid or non-raid, and also regardless of what graphics driver versionhmmmm is the system fully stable at stock speeds? is the memory 100% stable?

i have tried an old ati x1600 and a nvidia 7950 gt on the blackops and crysis works perfectly in both winxp and vista without crashinghmmm they put less load on the board/chipset and psu... hmmm the 8800gt and the 9800gx2 both dont work fine? that doesnt make any sense tho, there are loads of people running this combo and nobody had any issues so far... hmmmm
not to mention that shamino was benching 9800gx2 cards for countless hours...

so after all that, i think we need a bios fix for the blackops or a video bios fix for the 9800 gx2well you get the same problems with the 8800gt, right?
the only thing i can think of is the PSu beeing too weak since the other cards you tried that worked fine draw less power hmmm... if thats not it then its either the board or a bios compatibility issue... which doesnt make sense tho cause others run that combo fine. so it sounds like your board somehow got damaged and cant run the 9800gx2 and 8800gt anymore? weird...

Best Regards
Raptor1ill try to reproduce this right away...
BO+gx2+XP+Crysis doesnt work at all for you?
or it crashes after some time?
you said at first it did work, right? for how long?
and what happened that triggered the issues?
how long until you saw issues?

raptor1
10-01-2008, 01:26 AM
but just to be sure, please let me know if your overclocking the gpu at all or if its running at stock speeds.

My Last gx2 the one i rma,d was overclocked but the replacement i have now is not and never was and i never touch the pcie clock setting in the bios, it is always at 100

hmmmm is the system fully stable at stock speeds? is the memory 100% stable?

yes as per your reply to my thread about about memory testing - i have run test #5 for an hour and all is ok

i have tried a different brand of memory at stock speeds and still the same problem

my blackops is not overclocked at the moment, so if this is also happening at stock speeds then maybe my board is not stable at stock speeds

the only thing i can think of is the PSu beeing too weak since the other cards you tried that worked fine draw less power hmmm... if thats not it then its either the board or a bios compatibility issue... which doesnt make sense tho cause others run that combo fine. so it sounds like your board somehow got damaged and cant run the 9800gx2 and 8800gt anymore? weird...

i have connected a spare enermax liberty 620 just to the gx2 and nothing else and it still happens, so i don't think it's a psu problem

ill try to reproduce this right away...
BO+gx2+XP+Crysis doesnt work at all for you?
or it crashes after some time?

correct, and it happens in vista as well

you said at first it did work, right? for how long?

the games issue has only being noticed now, as up to now i was just getting my board stable, and was not doing anything major in windows

my first gx2 lasted for 2 days before the 54 post code started and it worked ok in 3dmark06 but i had not tried any games until i got my second gx2 and thats when i noticed this issue

and what happened that triggered the issues?

it all started when i got the 1st gx2

how long until you saw issues?

for the games issues it was straight away

Best Regards
Raptor1

raptor1
10-02-2008, 12:02 PM
Hi! All

I have definately found the culprit:clap:

anybody want to have a guess

i will leave you all in suspense until i check one more thing:D

Best Regards
Raptor1

Catz
10-02-2008, 01:06 PM
drivers?

Slovnaft
10-02-2008, 04:22 PM
Power cable?:rofl:

Catz
10-02-2008, 04:54 PM

That'd seriously crack me up badly :rofl:

saaya
10-02-2008, 07:09 PM
mhhhh soundcard? :D

raptor1
10-03-2008, 12:29 AM
here's a clue: it is a hardware component

update: the 54 beeping is gone, reinstalling windows and drivers atm, will check the games problems tonight

drivers?

No

No, but on the the right track

mhhhh soundcard? :D

No

Slovnaft
10-03-2008, 04:54 AM
well I have heard of some people having problems with G92 gpus and that galaxy psu? though I mostly disregarded these accounts as it doesnt sound logical...and i'm getting one in the mail soon...

saaya
10-06-2008, 03:24 AM
mhhhhh this is a tough one! :D
bad vga power cables/plugs?

raptor1
10-13-2008, 11:49 AM
Ok and the winner is Slovnaft who was the nearest:D

it was the galaxy power supply which is gone back under RMA

i am pissed off with enermax as a company atm as this is the second power supply to fail on me inside a year, my liberty 620 blew up on me earlier this year, which with it's replacement under rma, ironicaly is what i am using to power my black ops with until my galaxy comes back

Raptor1

Slovnaft
10-13-2008, 11:51 AM
Ok and the winner is Slovnaft who was the nearest

it was the galaxy power supply which is gone back under RMA

i am pissed off with enermax as a company atm as this is the second power supply to fail on me inside a year, my liberty 620 blew up on me earlier this year, which with it's replacement under rma, ironicaly is what i am using to power my black ops with until my galaxy comes back

Raptor1

urrrm. uh oh. I just got a used galaxy...haven't gotten the 8pin adapters yet, so I'm not using it, but...uh oh.

saaya
10-13-2008, 10:56 PM
huh... so it worked but wasnt really stable cause it couldnt cope with the load?
but your not even on a quad, and a gx2 doesnt draw THAT much power?
i mean your system must be at...

100W cpu MAX
200W vga MAX
50W mobo MAX
25W hdd+mem MAX

so thats less than 400W... most likely your at around 300W... and the psu couldnt cope with that? :eek:
or maybe some cap inside the psu blew or it was already faulty when you got it?

very interesting LOL id never have guessed its the psu!! :lol:

Slovnaft
10-14-2008, 04:20 AM
huh... so it worked but wasnt really stable cause it couldnt cope with the load?
but your not even on a quad, and a gx2 doesnt draw THAT much power?
i mean your system must be at...

100W cpu MAX
200W vga MAX
50W mobo MAX
25W hdd+mem MAX

so thats less than 400W... most likely your at around 300W... and the psu couldnt cope with that? :eek:
or maybe some cap inside the psu blew or it was already faulty when you got it?

very interesting LOL id never have guessed its the psu!! :lol:

Well the Galaxy came out in 06, right? So his PSU could potentially be over 2 years old, with heavy use that might be enough for some hardcore degradation?
it's a stretch though.

saaya
10-14-2008, 06:36 PM
hmmm i guess... bu then again i wouldnt know what inside a psu would degrade... except for the caps if they use bad electrolyt caps...

NaeKuh
10-17-2008, 04:21 PM
if any of you guys are having problems after installing a block of some sort i think i figured it out.

The SLI bridge built onto the two cards ARE NOT BACKWARDS COMPATABLE. Meaning they have 1 that needs to line up. You'll see the triangle, and 1 on the card. If you have this FLIPPED, the card will not boot.

Ran into this problem and realized it was the cable.

PaceT
06-04-2010, 02:07 AM
I bought this card second hand really cheap and have had big problems getting it to work properly. I Have tried many different drivers and OS's including suse. It always hangs just before it initialises the desktop. I can only get 197.45 driver to work in XP 32 bit SP3. Even then it hangs when I try and OC the cpu (even to a modest 3GHz Q6600) and when i try and install my PCI-e TV Card.

It also shows both entries in device manager but one of them has a yellow ! I was wondering would this be because my MB doesn't support SLI or would you think there is a hardware issue with the card.

Mescalamba
06-04-2010, 09:25 AM
Man, this is Foxconn forum, if you have ASUS, dont you think you are bit "off"? If you want advice, get rid of that card as fast you can.. its just one big piece of problems. I managed to RMA it due "bad design" and I was very happy. :D

Btw. SLI is irrelevant, as its single card (it has SLI bridge on card).

PaceT
06-04-2010, 03:07 PM
Sorry man...my bad. First forum post ever! Will be more vigilant next time.

Good advice anyways. Think im gonna ditch it and go back to my old 8800 gts in sli on the p5ne. Shame tho as the card with the WB looked sooo nice.

Thanks Mesc.