PDA

View Full Version : Stuff growing in my tubes

D_o_S
09-07-2008, 12:13 PM
Hello all,

recently, I have noticed a green algae lifeform in my tubes... what can I do to get rid of it? I have already considered iodine, but since that marks plastics, I wouldn't want my pump to go brown on the inside...

Other ideas? Should I try some windscreen wiper fluid?

Thanks.

RickCain
09-07-2008, 12:16 PM
Got any pictures?

xVeinx
09-07-2008, 12:25 PM
You ought to clean out things as best you can, and refill with fluid with a biocide, something like PT Nuke, (which is copper II sulfate, as you probably don't want to pay shipping on a two dollar solution from the states ;) ). Once it starts growing, it's harder to kill whats there; even if you do, it decays in the loop and that's not good either. if you need other fluid recommendations, PM me, I might have some other options...

Flip_Lx
09-07-2008, 06:51 PM
think you mean anti-freeze and not wiper fluid there, i'kk second the flush and use a biocide (PT nuke or anti-freeze)

HotGore
09-07-2008, 07:38 PM
You will have to clean out your loop regardless now. Killing it wont remove the goop.

Bojamijams
09-08-2008, 04:47 AM
Take a small stick, put on a 2-3 cotton balls at the end (joined into a big one), dip said cotton ball in 99% isopropyl alchohol and RUB!

Soulwind
09-08-2008, 04:51 AM
If you've already got growth, then you MUST drain the loop, disassemble every component (including pump top), and clean everything.

If you've got visible growth in your tubes, then you've probably got growth inside your blocks as well and just killing the current growth
won't remove it from the loop and it will break up and eventually clog everything up.

Personally, I'd just discard the tubing and use new tubing, but if you want to clean the tubing you can use the rag & coat hanger technique.

After cleaning everything, put it all together again, and make sure to use a biocide with your water (ie PT-Nuke, or similar) to prevent this from happening again.

Remember, anti-freeze (pentosin, etc) may have some anti-microbial properties, but it's not intended to be a biocide...you still need a dedicated biocide.

hotdun
09-08-2008, 07:01 AM
Post some pics!! We can add this to the Goo Thread.

hotdun
09-08-2008, 07:03 AM
Post some pics!! We can add this to the Goo Thread.

P.S. - I bet your tubing was in direct sunlight. I've seen alot of algae growth on systems that are in direct sunlight EVEN with additives like G11, antifreeze, etc... PT_NUKE should be used in EVERY situation. Or like stated a million times before, throw some silver in your res. :D

orclev
09-08-2008, 07:06 AM
Yes, please, see my thread (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=200112) on goo and gunk in your loop. For the regulars on here, whenever you see one of these type posts pop up, can you point them at my thread so I can get their info added to the spreadsheet.