PDA

View Full Version : Will partitioning speed access, if data already in outer sectors?

rge
09-07-2008, 12:06 PM
Just trying to understand something as I research solutions for storage for next build...I currently have a WD750AAKS, with 36 GB used of 750 for OS, apps, games. (My second drive stores all large files, music, pics, etc.) Pic of ultimate defrag illustrates my OS/data is all in outer rings as expected. When I run HD tune, random access for my drive is 13ms.

Question is, suppose I partition or short-stroke my drive to 200GB, and HD tune says my random access time for my drive is now 8.5ms (wild guess at that number). Will I truly get an increase in performance, or since my data/OS is already in the outer rings naturally, am I already seeing an actual access time of ~8.5ms?

enteon
09-08-2008, 05:27 AM
the smaller number comes from the smaller average acces time you would have. but 'average' is not equal to 'in the first sectors' ;)

the only thing you might experience is windos being too dumb and putting a whole lot of space between two (or more) big crowds of data. defragmenting after throwing around a lot of data helps.

i don't know if ntfs becomes significantly slower operating on big partitions, but it shouldn't and the tiny loss of performance should not be sensible anyway.

rge
09-08-2008, 08:23 AM
Thanks, kind of what I thought...but wanted to be sure. Maybe need a program that measures access time only where data is stored.