PDA

View Full Version : D5 noise isolation box?

Eddie3dfx
09-06-2008, 07:35 AM
For some the D5 is quiet and for others the D5 is very loud, as are both of mine.

I think it's almost ridiculous to spend money on low speed fans and have a screaming wife in the background :yepp: :D

So, what do you think of a D5 box.. A square aluminum box, slightly bigger than a D5, with insulation, open on the bottom for a fan, and a few perforated holes on the top for air vent.

In terms of barbs, you can drill out 2 holes and add 3/4" grommets.

There are tons of project boxes on ebay... I was thinking of something like this but obviously more square.

http://i21.ebayimg.com/01/i/001/09/6d/a80e_1.JPG

Brandon_Tyler
09-06-2008, 08:04 AM
Are you sure its your actual pump thats loud? Or, is it the way you possibly have it mounted? Vibration isolation would be first to be looked at first in my way of thinking. As a test try stilling the pumps on a neatly folded hand towel (not your spouses decorative ones) to see if isolating the pumps from the case surfaces quiets them down a bit.

- Brandon

wdrzal
09-06-2008, 09:49 AM
For some the D5 is quiet and for others the D5 is very loud, as are both of mine.

I think it's almost ridiculous to spend money on low speed fans and have a screaming wife in the background :yepp: :D

So, what do you think of a D5 box.. A square aluminum box, slightly bigger than a D5, with insulation, open on the bottom for a fan, and a few perforated holes on the top for air vent.

In terms of barbs, you can drill out 2 holes and add 3/4" grommets.

There are tons of project boxes on ebay... I was thinking of something like this but obviously more square.

http://i21.ebayimg.com/01/i/001/09/6d/a80e_1.JPG

If you want to try that idea out first(cheap) just find a suitable size corrugated cardboard box and see if that works for you. It will be easy to mod with with a razor knife. ;)

armeniandave
09-06-2008, 12:22 PM
How do you have the pump mounted? Do you have a pic?

Freaky Freezer
09-06-2008, 01:06 PM
I don't understand how some people say the D5 is loud. I cant hear mine unless I go right up to the case, literally a foot or two away. And even then it sounds like a very low level hum that just doesn't bother me, kind of like a powerhead inside a fishtank. Do the D5's vary depending on who they're packaged by? Are some just defectively louder than others? Or is the low level hum that I hear actually loud to some people? I can't imagine it being unless they have no fans cause I definitely can't hear the pump over my fans.

Otherwise, if you have the room, I think it's a great idea. Buy a sheet of sound-proofing for $20 or you can even just use weather-stripping. Line all 6 inside panels and depending on where the box is positioned (right near a case fan) you might not even need the fan hole, just intake and exaust vents. It would kind of be like one of those anti-sound HDD boxes. I have one and it works unbelievably despite having complete opening at 2 ends.