PDA

View Full Version : Power off the computer, and PSU?

kraifect
09-05-2008, 01:18 PM
Ok since im used to having name brand computers etc. like Dell, HP and so on im not really sure of this question which is going to sound really stupid lol.

I finally got my computer working and everything , runs great and smooth.

Now the thing is when I click shutdown, everything turns off etc. but my webcam light still goes on along with some other things. When I shut down my computer do I have to click the powersupply off after every time I shut it down to? Or is it safe to leave it on?

Also my HD 4870 runs about 61 degrees celcius idle, and 75 degrees celcius when gaming, is that good or should I use that fan speed hack? ( I tried it out for like five mintues on 100% and it got my temps down to 25 degrees celcius, and thats without all my case fans on high, they were only on medium with all them on I could probably get to around 20 celcius ).

dengyong
09-05-2008, 01:35 PM
All power supplies stay active when the computer is shut down, it won't harm anything. You can switch off the psu if it bothers you.
Use whatever measure works best for you to lower your gpu temps a little, the fan hack won't do any harm.

kraifect
09-05-2008, 02:23 PM
Oh ok, and about the fan hack, I heard it lowers the life of the GPU?

Dragy2k
09-05-2008, 02:47 PM
it dont effect ur gpu....all fan hack does it lower the temp while increasing fan speed to an acceptable level ..mine set to 35 for games:cool:

twilyth
09-05-2008, 02:51 PM
Don't know about the fan, but conventional wisdom would say that cooler is better - right? Maybe the fan won't last as long though. :shrug:

The only time I turn off the PSU is if I have to yank something out of the motherboard or go fishing around inside where I might bump a cable or something. I've done it with the PSU on many times and gotten away with it, but it's not a good idea. For normal use though - what Dengyong said.

Nasgul
09-05-2008, 02:54 PM
Also my HD 4870 runs about 61 degrees celcius idle, and 75 degrees celcius when gaming, is that good or should I use that fan speed hack? ( I tried it out for like five mintues on 100% and it got my temps down to 25 degrees celcius, and thats without all my case fans on high, they were only on medium with all them on I could probably get to around 20 celcius ).

I think with the new RivaTuner v2.10 you can adjust the fan speed w/o doing the hack and you'll get more control that way, because you can actually adjust the percentage that you want to use. So, go ahead and download RTv2.10 from guru3d and start cooling that bad boy.

Now, when you turn the PC off through windows, everything should turn off as well, even the camera, afaik.

dengyong
09-05-2008, 02:59 PM
Some motherboards leave parts powered, some don't.

kraifect
09-05-2008, 03:23 PM
Alright guys thanks, im leaving my fan speed at 25 percent and its at 40 idle and probably 55 or 60 under load ( estimating ).

Another problem , my stock Q6600 is at 50C idle, is that bad?

Nasgul
09-05-2008, 03:29 PM
Depends........if you're Q6600 is still under the stock heat-sink/fan? Well, sounds about right, otherwise it could do better but not all 3rd party HSF are created equal, so it all depends there, and fudget'bout a Zalman, they aren't that great.

kraifect
09-05-2008, 03:31 PM
Yes, the CPU is not overclocked, and its running on the stock Heatsink along with the fan that came with it, nothing has changed since I took it out the box :P, except a friend put new thermal paste on it for me.

twilyth
09-05-2008, 04:11 PM
Yes, the CPU is not overclocked, and its running on the stock Heatsink along with the fan that came with it, nothing has changed since I took it out the box :P, except a friend put new thermal paste on it for me.

Are you reasonably sure your friend did it correctly? Have you run speedfan on it? Check that all of the cores are at about the same temp (within a few degrees). Also, some TIM's need to "settle" - i.e., have to go through several hot/cold cycles - before they will give peak performance.

kraifect
09-05-2008, 05:34 PM
No im not really sure, as he took my computer and brought it home with him to work on it, its his business ( computer business ) and since hes like a expert I trusted him to do it well.

Yes, let me run speedfan right now and i'll post the results.

CORE0 69C
CORE1 68C
CORE2 63C
CORE3 61C
CPU 51C

twilyth
09-05-2008, 05:39 PM
I don't have nearly as much experience as lots of other people here, but off the cuff, I would say that's a pretty wide disparity. I have the same thing on my new rig and I've been meaning to pull the heatsink off to double check. I've been telling myself to let it settle, but I don't really think that will make a difference.

Hopefully we'll get an Intel guru to chime in. :)

Edit: I'm assuming all 4 cores are under load.

kraifect
09-05-2008, 05:43 PM
To be honest what do you mean by under load? Like I think I know what you mean but right now im not really doing anything but chatting on AIM,MSN and using the web browser, if you would consider that 'under load'?

twilyth
09-05-2008, 05:53 PM
I meant running something CPU intensive that uses all 4 cores - like WCG, F@H, Prime95, etc. If you run something to stress test the CPU, I would guess those temps will go up by at least 5 degrees and possibly as much as 15. Even the lowest temp seems high for no load at stock speeds. Although using a stock cooler, it's hard to say. I've never used a stock fan/heatsink on either of my Q6600's. :shrug:

kraifect
09-05-2008, 06:06 PM
Yeah I know, now that I realize it I feel like an idiot for putting this stock thing on, I should have bought a aftermarket CPU cooler when I ordered everything together.
Now I have to go through all the trouble of taking everything out, putting everything back in, attaching the CPU cooler , ( the stock was hard for me to put on I dont even want to imagine what a aftermarket will do to me :P ), I made a thread in the air cooling section about the cooler but only one person replied I think and to be honest it wasnt really any help but at least he tried, have to give him effort for that and I do appreciate him for triying.

What progam should I download out of the ones you mentioned for the stress test, and approx. how long do these tests go for?
Im new to vista and all and it seems like after like four or three hours my computer goes into hibernation mode, XP never did that.

dengyong
09-05-2008, 06:12 PM
Here's a good and easy to use one for you http://www.majorgeeks.com/OCCT_d5612.html.

kraifect
09-05-2008, 06:19 PM
Ok downloading now.

EDIT: Downloaded prime95, ran it, failed.

twilyth
09-05-2008, 06:51 PM
Ok downloading now.

EDIT: Downloaded prime95, ran it, failed.

Not a good sign. It looks like I'm going to have to pull off my heatsink too. I've got a 14C difference between low and high temps.

I would recommend the Xigmatek S1283. You can get it for around $30 and it comes with a 120mm fan. Just check your case measurements carefully to be sure it will fit. It's as good as the Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 (TRUE 120) - ok the true beats it by at most a couple degrees and you don't have to worry about sanding down the IHS and base like you do with a TRUE. Plus, it comes with the push pin mounting. Now everybody here will tell you how much they hate push pins and that is somewhat deserved, BUT, at least with the pins, you don't have to remove the mobo to replace the heatsink. The other advantage is that once you're sure you have everything the way you want it, you can get the mounting bracket for the S1283 and then do it up right. Just make sure that the mobo has good support in the area around the cpu socket because you will have to press hard on the pins to get them to click and you don't want to damage the mobo.

kraifect
09-06-2008, 06:40 AM
I was looking at the TRUE and reading some people that have it in there Antec 900 and they said it just barly fits, I dont really want something that will just barly fit.

And I don't really have a problem with the push pins, thats what this stock cooler uses at the moment to.

I dont really have "great" support under the mobo, I usually just hold it with my hand while pressing down so I dont bend it, what can I use for support, that wont damage the motherboard? And what type of thermal grease should I use this time?

twilyth
09-06-2008, 10:52 AM
I was looking at the TRUE and reading some people that have it in there Antec 900 and they said it just barly fits, I dont really want something that will just barly fit.

And I don't really have a problem with the push pins, thats what this stock cooler uses at the moment to.

I dont really have "great" support under the mobo, I usually just hold it with my hand while pressing down so I dont bend it, what can I use for support, that wont damage the motherboard? And what type of thermal grease should I use this time?

I don't know about barely fitting. The Antec 900 is 8.1" deep or 206mm and the S1283 and True120 are both 160mm + or - 1mm. A lot of people like the Tuniq Tower (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835154002) which is 153mm. But the S1283 is the best buy. I have mine in a Xion case that is also 8.1" wide and it fits fine. I did have to remove the 120mm fan from the side panel, but I compensated for that by using an Scythe Ultra Kaze for the exhaust fan. This case doesn't have a lot of options for fan placement but you already have 3 fans with the 900 - none of which are on the side panel - so you should be fine.

As far as support goes, if you're using all 9 of your standoffs under the mobo, you should be fine. The Xion case has bumps where the stand-offs would normally go so that offers a little more support. Just check the mounting holes for the mobo and verify that there is a screw in each one. That should imply that there is a standoff or bump behind each one. Just be careful and be observant. I think you usually press the pins on the diagonal simultaneously and then do the other pair but read the instructions.

kraifect
09-06-2008, 11:18 AM
Yes I know the Tunique Tower fits and I know it does a good job but its ugly :P haha.
So I probably will get the S1283, I dont mind taking off the fan from the sidepanel, not even sure if it makes a difference or not.

twilyth
09-06-2008, 11:26 AM
There's a fan on the side panel? I looked up the 900 on newegg and it said 2 rear one front - all 120mm. Unless SOMEBODY was trying to pimp out their case. Huh? You can tell us. This probably the only place on the planet where guys get wood over cold cathods and plexi side panels. ;)

stangracin2
09-06-2008, 12:06 PM
look at the pictures again its sorta obvious where it goes

twilyth
09-06-2008, 12:37 PM
look at the pictures again its sorta obvious where it goes

I know - I'm just saying it doesn't seem to be standard - hence my pimp comment.

Would I put an extra fan on the side panel if I were him? Yeah. But if the choice is 5C difference on the cpu and slightly better case cooling, I'll take the 5C. You can always compensate by getting higher cfm fans if air flow through the case turns out to be the weak link.

kraifect
09-06-2008, 12:45 PM
I didnt pimp it haha, alright you were right about getting wood over plexi glass and cathodes :yepp: .... kidding :ROTF:.

But all joking aside, the side panel did come with a slot that all I had to do was slide the fan on there and it snapped into place, I did no pimping what so ever, there was a space for it :)