PDA

View Full Version : Registry error on start up

Dapper
10-01-2003, 09:24 PM
The power went out here today and now anytime I re-boot I get an error box pop up and say that registry had an error but it was recovered by a back up copy, ok thats great but why is it doing it every time i restart?? If it recovered it from a back up why is it still telling me about it?

Oh almost forgot WIN XP PRO with SP1 and all updates.

Smizack
10-02-2003, 08:26 PM
Corrupt backup mabey? What's the error say?

Dapper
10-07-2003, 08:31 PM
It's a gray box titled: Windows - Registry Recovery

and it says:

One of the files containing the system's Registry data had to be recovered by the use of a log or alternate copy. The recovery was successful.

If it worked why does it keep coming back after a fresh start or re-boot??

Thanks
Dapp

Keeper
10-07-2003, 08:54 PM
Once you are up and running do a chkdsk /f and a chkdsk /r and be ready to wait a while does it's thing..

And put your Windows CD in the drive before you reboot It may search other devises and pick it up files on the CD.

Running a norton windoc if you have it might work too.

Dapper
10-07-2003, 09:51 PM
Ok, I can try that

Dapper
10-10-2003, 08:42 PM
Well I tried all kind of stuff and nothing, I even disconnected my other drives to narrow it down, I finaly bit the bullet and did a fresh format and reinstall, guess what, still does it.

I think my 4 month old Maxtor 160 giger has got problems, so I guess I'll wipe it and send it in for a new one.

Thanks anyway guys

Keeper
10-10-2003, 09:13 PM
Are you hooked up to the net through a router?

Dapper
10-10-2003, 09:51 PM
I was but I'm direct to the modem right now due to the newest firmware causing disconnect errors.

Keeper
10-10-2003, 10:35 PM
Did the Maxtor disk manager give you an error?

They are going to want one for an RMA.

You can download it off their web site. It will also provide a reformat program that will zero the whole drive, windows doesn't clean the whole drive.