PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! RAID 0 error...Please tell me I'm not screwed!

hiiyah777
08-30-2008, 04:01 PM
So I was finagling around with my video card, trying to fit some different/unique/probably stupid cooling solutions. (Long story, probably best-saved for a different thread.)

Anyway, once I put the video card back in and booted back up, I got a black screen a few times even though everything inside the case seemed to be operating correctly. Finally, I got a boot-up screen, and it showed an "NVIDIA STRIPE ERROR" while trying to detect my array.

I checked all the connections, and they look good. I pressed F10, and it showed the error and only gave me the option to delete it or clear it.

Am I screwed? Are the hard drives messed up or the motherboard? Is this fixable? Is the information on the drives restorable? I'm petrified that I've lost everything on my C: drive. I've been meaning to back up, I just haven't gotten around to it. Now I'm kicking myself.

Please somebody help me!!!!!!

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn98/hiiyah777/088.jpg

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn98/hiiyah777/090.jpg

dengyong
08-30-2008, 04:23 PM
Did you do anything to the drives ?
Double check all connections, sata cables and power cables.
Did you change anything in the bios ? Try clearing the cmos and redo your bios settings.

Speederlander
08-30-2008, 04:58 PM
Your main data was kept on RAID 0 without backup? :shakes:

Your best bet is to install windows on a separate drive with proper drivers and hope it can see the raid 0. If you have a LOT of luck, it's just preventing you from booting off the RAID array. Otherwise you're probably screwed.

dengyong
08-30-2008, 05:07 PM
:idea: I forgot to say...... CLEAN YOUR SCREEN.

hiiyah777
08-30-2008, 05:31 PM
Did you do anything to the drives ?
Double check all connections, sata cables and power cables.
Did you change anything in the bios ? Try clearing the cmos and redo your bios settings.

I didn't do anything to the drives. And I triple-checked the connections. They're all good. I made no changes to the BIOS, except after I was having problems, I undid my overclock. I'll try clearing the CMOS and stuff and hope that helps.

Your main data was kept on RAID 0 without backup? :shakes:

Your best bet is to install windows on a separate drive with proper drivers and hope it can see the raid 0. If you have a LOT of luck, it's just preventing you from booting off the RAID array. Otherwise you're probably screwed.

Yeah, I know. I get side-tracked and lazy and I kept putting off backing things up and storing the important stuff on my other drive (1TB of expensive, unused space. How stupid am I?!?!)

I'm gonna put Windows on my other drive and see what happens. It makes sense if it can only not boot from those.

:idea: I forgot to say...... CLEAN YOUR SCREEN.

Yeah, I'll get to it, lol.

Keep the suggestions coming, everybody. I'm desperate here!

hiiyah777
08-30-2008, 06:08 PM
Thanks for the help everyone. It's working, I'm on it right now. I feel like a total idiot. I reset the BIOS and with the RAID disabled, it detected ports 2 and 3, but not 1. So I quadruple-checked the connection. Only this time, when I touched it, it fell out. :doh: So I hooked it back up and everything is running just fine now. I'm so relieved.

I am currently in the process of storing all the important information onto a 500GB partition of my current 1TB drive, and after that's done, I'll be backing up the OS onto the other partition.

Lesson learned.

When I go to purchase additional storage for the sole purpose of serving as a backup, do you think I should use a 1TB and backup weekly or get 2 more 500GB's and set up a RAID O+1/1+0 array? Thanks.

Speederlander
08-30-2008, 07:17 PM
Thanks for the help everyone. It's working, I'm on it right now. I feel like a total idiot. I reset the BIOS and with the RAID disabled, it detected ports 2 and 3, but not 1. So I quadruple-checked the connection. Only this time, when I touched it, it fell out. :doh: So I hooked it back up and everything is running just fine now. I'm so relieved.

I am currently in the process of storing all the important information onto a 500GB array, and after that's done, I'll be backing up the OS onto the other partition.

Lesson learned.

When I go to purchase additional storage for the sole purpose of serving as a backup, do you think I should use a 1TB and backup weekly or get 2 more 500GB's and set up a RAID O+1/1+0 array? Thanks.

Just back it up to a TB and call it good.

hiiyah777
08-30-2008, 07:23 PM
I'm kinda with you on that, I think. It's less complicated without adding more arrays. The only problem is that I can currently get 2x500GB 7200.11's cheaper than 1x1TB 7200.11. But the small price premium is preferable over a complicated array and more maintenance. Simple is good.

dengyong
08-30-2008, 07:24 PM

coo-coo-clocker
08-31-2008, 04:29 AM
I'd say you dodged a bullet. Most often, we have to endure loss before we take appropriate precautions, but this was a rare happy story. Best of all, I get to go to school on your experience, because I am running a raid 0 here on one of my rigs and havent saved off my important files yet.

So guess what I'll be doing today :idea:

Yakyb
09-01-2008, 02:00 AM
i have actually recovered data from a failed raid 0 array for anyone reading this in a panic so it can be done. i rebuilt the array from the original disks put in the same ports and then used a file recovery software on what appeared to be a blank drive (that incidently took a day to run) and got back about 80% of my data (bout 200gig from 240 gig array)

i beleive i was very lucky so would not set the above as a rule but can be done

congrats on getting your data back i know how you felt !!!

Brian MP5T
09-01-2008, 02:22 AM
The 1 TB HDD is now only $137.00 at my local store now, Get One and use it as a backup with a thermaltake BlackX

hiiyah777
09-01-2008, 05:31 AM
The 1 TB HDD is now only $137.00 at my local store now, Get One and use it as a backup with a thermaltake BlackX

Yeah, there's a 1TB 7200.11 (I exclusively use 7200.11's, I'm OCD) for sale at ZipZoomfly for $139 with free shipping. I was about to pick it up because it's such a great deal, then I decided to wait. I've successfully copied all my important documents, pictures, music, videos, and movies over to one of the 500GB partitions of my current 1TB drive, and it barely took up half the space there. So I labeled that partition "Storage", and the other partition "Backup". I backed up the C: drive, and it only took up about 120GB of space after compression. So I'll use what I currently have until it's not enough room. Then I'll purchase another 1TB drive solely for backup. Thanks again for all the help everyone!

Lu523
09-01-2008, 03:05 PM
I had a the same thing a few weeks back. Kept getting an error on 1 of my Raptors. Checked and rechecked the cables. Come to find out it was a bad sata cable. Swapped it out for another and not a bit of trouble since.