PDA

View Full Version : Removing Windows Product Key Stickers?

ExodusC
08-30-2008, 11:52 AM
Hey guys... Really random question, but has anyone tried to remove a Windows Product Key Sticker from a case?

I've decided I'm not going to keep putting them on the cases I buy for myself, I'll keep them somewhere else safe, as I change some of PC's cases quite a bit.

Thing is, a lot of my cases already have stickers on them, and I tried to remove one, but it rips very easily.

I don't know if anyone else has done this, but any ideas?

RAW-Raptor22
08-30-2008, 11:59 AM
Hey guys... Really random question, but has anyone tried to remove a Windows Product Key Sticker from a case?

I've decided I'm not going to keep putting them on the cases I buy for myself, I'll keep them somewhere else safe, as I change some of PC's cases quite a bit.

Thing is, a lot of my cases already have stickers on them, and I tried to remove one, but it rips very easily.

I don't know if anyone else has done this, but any ideas?

I am sure you have tried a scraper... hmm I dunno...

</worthless post>

ExodusC
08-30-2008, 12:23 PM
Raptor22;3257926']I am sure you have tried a scraper... hmm I dunno...

</worthless post>
Scraper?...

I was thinking about taking a razor to it, but I don't want to screw it up anymore than it already is.

Will something like a blowdryer or heat gun help loosen it up, or will that screw it up even more?

RAW-Raptor22
08-30-2008, 12:28 PM
Scraper?...

I was thinking about taking a razor to it, but I don't want to screw it up anymore than it already is.

Will something like a blowdryer or heat gun help loosen it up, or will that screw it up even more?

Heat wouldnt be a bad idea. A razor blade would do the job. A scraper is basically a thicker putty knife with a sharper blade. :yepp:

krille
08-30-2008, 12:41 PM
Well, they're not really supposed to be removable so I'm not sure it's possible... use adhesive tape or something in the future, if you want to appear legit.

Cpl Ledanek
08-30-2008, 01:18 PM
n00b question, I have an OEM WinXP copy, and I didn't see the sticker that goes on the case, was there suppose to be a sticker?
as a builder, are we required to place the sticker on the case?

thnx

M31
08-30-2008, 01:34 PM
I'm not sure I understand the OP's question? He wants to remove a Windows product key from a case, but not to use on cases He buys? If you are trying to remove them and they rip easy, then you must be trying to save the sticker information, if you are the legit owner of the OS license ... then just take a note of it, the sticker is not important ... unless it has any relevance to the original PC manufacturer warranty of course.

If you buy new cases, then they wont have any stickers on them.

Cpl Ledanek ... some manufacturers like Dell, Packard Bell .. ETC will have some sort of OEM OS license sticker on cases ... I think they may have stopped this practice now?

I mainly build my own computers and rarely see those bought from big corporations anymore unless I'm fixing one for a friend.

krille
08-30-2008, 01:38 PM
n00b question, I have an OEM WinXP copy, and I didn't see the sticker that goes on the case, was there suppose to be a sticker?

thnxYes, otherwise you breach the EULA or something like that. You are allowed to make some hardware changes. I don't know the specifics, but I do know that you are not allowed to change your case (I think it's just a side effect of the sticker). So, yeah, if you have received systems without the sticker attached, they are most likely not genuine in the strictest sense of the word. And yes, as a builder you are indeed required to put the sticker on the case.

Personally, I don't give a <random obscenity> about that.

M31
08-30-2008, 01:42 PM
As an aside ...

I used to plaster my cases with the various little badge stickers ... like Intel inside, C2D, Nvidea, ATI, Creative Labs ... ETC, stickers, used to do the whole disco thing with dancing changing light fans, cathode tubes too ... Now I'm more content with just a basic black, as unobtrusive as can be (this one is in the next room from my monitor) PC.

The irony is ... Its the fastest most silent PC I've ever built so far :)

Bobsama
08-30-2008, 04:00 PM
I ended up tearing my "Key 3 Spirit" sticker off my case--but I kept the Pentium Dual-Core sticker. Anyways--I just don't put the stickers on either. I have already changed cases once--and I'm seriously eying my third XClio case, a Windtunnel following the purchases of a 188A with the 25CM side fan and a Propeller with a 36CM side fan. Anyways--stickerless, it's a lot cleaner to me and it looks fine to change out systems. I'd only add case stickers to a system I sell--so to oblige with the OEM agreement.

H2omg
08-30-2008, 05:00 PM
Heat will help to soften the adhesive used and will be the best bet for removing a sticker. In the future, don't apply it to the case. Leave it in a folder and put it in the desk drawer.

LagunaX
08-30-2008, 05:02 PM
A blowdryer with heat will help - that is what they recommend for peeling off old bumper stickers off cars.

R1C0CH3T
08-30-2008, 05:05 PM
yes, blowdry it for a few seconds, then slowly peel off. Probaby still have sticky residue left, so use some "GooGone" to get it off. I call it Googonic Chronic because it works so well

xytrius
08-30-2008, 05:41 PM
Why don’t you just save the product key in your email account? If you are really paranoid, just take a pic of the sticker and save it in a directory in your email.

I don’t put product key stickers on my builds (stickers are ugly), I just take a pic of the product key on the receipt and save the pic in my email account, I then shred the sticker and receipt – not that I have ever had to produce proof of purchase.

No need to preserve the product key sticker, IMO. Your retailer can produce a receipt and if you take a pic of the product key sticker and receipt, it should suffice for any MS enquiry (if it happens, I have never heard of one).

ExodusC
08-30-2008, 06:43 PM
I don't know the specifics, but I do know that you are not allowed to change your case (I think it's just a side effect of the sticker). So, yeah, if you have received systems without the sticker attached, they are most likely not genuine in the strictest sense of the word. And yes, as a builder you are indeed required to put the sticker on the case.
That's ridiculous. Don't get me wrong, if I were building these systems for someone else, or if I sell them, I'd put the sticker on the case (assuming I leave the OS on it), but for my personal systems, I've decided I'm not going to put the stickers on (breaking EULA or not) as I change cases rather often.

Heat will help to soften the adhesive used and will be the best bet for removing a sticker. In the future, don't apply it to the case. Leave it in a folder and put it in the desk drawer.
That's what I'm thinking, I'm going to keep them all in one place, maybe with a note of which PC has which key installed.

Movieman
08-30-2008, 06:50 PM

thnx

When I build a machine for someone I put the COA sticker AND the paper it came on inside the case with a small piece of clear packing tape holding that paper down on the inside bottom of the case..
This way it can be removed and the person has it in a safe place.
Best of both worlds for the customer..
I call it" COA to go":D

yankee
08-30-2008, 08:49 PM
hairdryer + razorblade/scraper = win

Bobsama
08-31-2008, 07:17 AM
If I build a system for someone, as I said I drop the OEM sticker on the case just like it says I have to. Then, I take a CD envelope and tape it to the inside of the case, out of the way but difficult to lose. Inside the case is often best--it won't get damaged, won't get lost, and if you're already doing maintenance, odds are you'll want to reinstall anyways. That, and if you fix it for them, it's there for you to use as well.

ExodusC
08-31-2008, 01:45 PM
Well, I successfully removed the stickers I had put on the cases, but I think it voided the "Genuine" silver strip... Oh well, as far as I am concerned, they are genuine because I paid for them.

Oh, and I just took a razor to them, one came off relatively easily, the other I had some trouble with. Either way, thanks for the help guys.