PDA

View Full Version : How do you connect to network from Mac OS to PC's?

IamAnoobieCheez
08-29-2008, 11:41 AM
I am a Mac n00b.

I have a person who has a laptop with Mac OS. He wants to be able to connect to the networked PC's. I prefer to use TCP/IP method.

Oh and, he wants to connect wirelessly. We have a wireless network.

So, first off, the Mac laptop needs to be connected to the wireless network right? ID and password, right?

Then you go open up the browser, click Go menu, select Connect to Server? What is a Finder active? How do you make it active? It needs to be active in order to connect to server by putting in the domain name/ IP address and username and password?

The problem is, I don't have the Mac OS with me so I can't replicate this task.

thanx...

rickeo
08-29-2008, 12:41 PM
If all the person needs to do is connect via WiFi to get simple internet access, then on the menu bar at the top of the screen, there is an Airport icon. From there you can connect to the wireless network. If you're asking about having the Mac join an Active Directory network, then you and the person with the laptop are going to have to do alot of research elsewhere. I would start with the official Apple discussion forums here. (http://discussions.apple.com/index.jspa)

furrylemmings
08-31-2008, 12:40 PM
I run a wireless network and a wired network (daisy chained into the router) and my macbook with leopard detects all of our pcs in finder, they come up under network, on the sidebar. I dont use any sort of domain/password/id on my network, its just plain old dhcp from a router.

Lestat
09-01-2008, 06:09 AM
depending on which OSX you have its automatic you dont need to do anything.
last time i messed with Leopard and Tiger it was automatic atleast.

just scan for wireless AP's connect to it, then where ever your network shares browsing is it should show up withsome sort of windows network or SMB icon which will give you windows shares.

IamAnoobieCheez
09-02-2008, 04:47 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I will let you guys know how it goes. :)

IamAnoobieCheez
09-05-2008, 12:57 PM
Results:

The MacBook already had the wireless picked up from our wireless network which is good. I checked the IP, DNS, and Default Gateway. They all looked good. I went to Go, Network, and showed me a whole list of networked PC's... sweet!

So access to network is good.

But my user now wants to get connected to a USB connected printer in the PC Network. The printer is connected to a server (Dell PowerEdge Server running win 2003 server). All other PC workstations have access to this printer, but I don't know how to add it in his MacBook.... I tried going in to Settngs, Printers, and tried to add one but I don't know how to find it.. Urggggg......:(