PDA

View Full Version : Modded ASUS P5Q/Pro/Deluxe/Premium BIOS

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Dee
09-26-2008, 06:42 AM
Hey Ket, do any of the P5Q-E BIOS "officially" support our CellShock PC2-8000? Not that I'm having any issues, it's running great. Just wondered.

carepolice
09-26-2008, 06:43 AM
My five cents.......
Whit Intels 0803 i couldnt even look at memory tweaks/oc, But now whit your 1306 P5Q-E Mbios i can easily go nice mhz whit low volts (doh my a-datas are rated 1.8->1.9 :ROTF:)

I am pretty unhappy that you are goin to do better versions for only p5Qpro and dlx. But no chance to complain, after all i cant even belive that this all is only by one person cheers! :up:

Ket
09-26-2008, 06:56 AM
The Cellshocks arent in the QVL, but Micron D9 ICs are, so its the same thing really :up: Oh and the new stuff I'm trying will be for other boards as well, its just the Pro and Dlx for now.

xdan
09-26-2008, 07:10 AM
Ok, i have a P5Q-PRO so i'm on the list:welcome:

Dee
09-26-2008, 07:25 AM
The Cellshocks arent in the QVL, but Micron D9 ICs are, so its the same thing really :up: Oh and the new stuff I'm trying will be for other boards as well, its just the Pro and Dlx for now.

No worries bro, I'm happy with 1306 for now anyways.

hema
09-26-2008, 07:30 AM
Oh and the new stuff I'm trying will be for other boards as well, its just the Pro and Dlx for now.
well done ket
still waiting for new version
have a nice day

carepolice
09-26-2008, 07:38 AM
Ok, i have a P5Q-PRO so i'm on the list:welcome:
:cussing:

oh snap :D

Ket
09-26-2008, 09:16 AM
I'll try to start work on the "uber" BIOS in the next few days, once I have something it will be posted. Naturally, with the BIOS that will be released proceed with EXTREME CAUTION! I do not know what may happen when ppl try it.

carepolice
09-26-2008, 09:28 AM
"uber" BIOS EXTREME CAUTION!
:eek::eek:

ghost_recon88
09-26-2008, 09:41 AM
Thanks a lot for these :) Can't wait to flash my incoming P5Q Pro with them.

JHS
09-26-2008, 12:00 PM
I know that i have cleared CMOS everytime i have installed mbios, but this battery remove? Is that necessary? :confused:

No, you don't need to pull the battery. All you need to do is move the jumper, wait, and move the jumper back.
Easier way is to flash with afudos and extra switches :)

afuXXX /i<ROM filename> [/o<save ROM filename>] [/n] [/p[b][n][c]]

/n - don't check ROM ID
/pbnc -
b - Program Boot Block
n - Program NVRAM
c - Destroy System CMOS

Removing the battery fully clears the CMOS, just setting the jumper to "clear" does not. To see this for yourself you will notice when not removing the CMOS battery the board holds various settings still such as time and date.

Not sure about the system clock but all other settings are cleared with /pbnc ( or /pc ) and never needed to move jumper or remove battery after flash. Few times after too aggressive OC though :)

Have to check the clock thing next time when I flash. Never really paid attention to it so not sure. But never had posting issue with those extra switches so far

Dee
09-26-2008, 01:08 PM
Seems unnecessarily complicated. Using EZ Flash tool built into the BIOS is easiest and safe.

Ket
09-26-2008, 07:26 PM
People can argue all they want, after all the disecting of the P5Q series BIOS I'd hope I know the most effective way to clear its CMOS by now :rolleyes:

SiGfever
09-26-2008, 07:38 PM
I'll try to start work on the "uber" BIOS in the next few days, once I have something it will be posted. Naturally, with the BIOS that will be released proceed with EXTREME CAUTION! I do not know what may happen when ppl try it.

Shouldn't that be...Xtreme Caution!? :D

Vazovskiiii
09-27-2008, 12:04 AM
thank's ket you are the man :)
but plz don't forgot poore people wich have p5q non pro:)
can you arrange the more overclockin features in next p5q non pro bios like in p5q-e there is a lot of things for cpu overclocking :)
yes you are the really best asus need to get you on the job :)

so what you meen in uber bios what is it? i'm sure you'll do the best but what is it ? and will be it for p5q non pro?

thamk you

Ket
09-27-2008, 05:03 AM
Is anyone experiencing issues with the P5Q Pro not POSTing when setting NB voltage to 1.7v+?

xdan
09-27-2008, 09:45 AM
Yes, i've tryed once with a fan on Nb but it didn't post. And another issue
is that at 1.36 Nb i can raise the PLL voltage more than 1.6 because it didn't post either. May be i get a P5Q-PRO moore unstable at voltages :down:
And the Nb is also unstable at hich than 1.42 V, it freeze after 5-10minutes,
even with a fan on heatsink.
As a fact after i get that the NB heatsink and heatipe are pretty hot i've put a small fan (froom Fx5500) on Nb.:up:
A good question is this: Is the NB heatsink made from copper or from Al it seems to be to hot at not so high voltages ?:confused:

Kain665
09-27-2008, 02:48 PM
Hi, I have a P5Q Deluxe with a X6800 B2 Step. 6. My P5K-E runs at 500x7 with an e6750 24/7, but I am having trouble getting my P5Q posting at 500mhz. Can anyone post their settings for a stable 500mhz fsb?

noxon
09-27-2008, 05:11 PM
Hi, I have a P5Q Deluxe with a X6800 B2 Step. 6. My P5K-E runs at 500x7 with an e6750 24/7, but I am having trouble getting my P5Q posting at 500mhz. Can anyone post their settings for a stable 500mhz fsb?

Try these settings, i gained about 30fsb
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3283480&postcount=307

truehighroller
09-27-2008, 07:34 PM
Here are a couple of videos that show my issue that I have uploaded to Youtube so Asus can see the issue for them selves easily.

Video#1 = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27uHHbx1Jk0

Video#2 = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVDBZWfmz4o

Video#3 = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fR5HcbHZTY

Four will be up soon and it shows me going right back into Vista on the 0803.

Enjoy, :up:

carepolice
09-27-2008, 09:39 PM

http://img356.imageshack.us/my.php?image=quadfsbxt2.jpg on P5Q-E

CPU: 1.43xx
vFSB: 1.34
vNB: 1.46 (why not ? :D)
vRAM: 1.92
vPLL: 1.56

samsonJS
09-28-2008, 03:25 PM
truehighroller: no idea about the cause of your problem, but since it's clearly specific to your hardware maybe booting vista in safe mode will help identify the problem, by either showing that safe mode works or hanging on a device driver. I also noticed you use grub. how does linux react to the various BIOS versions?

Kain665
09-28-2008, 11:06 PM
This board fails so much... I have a hard time posting at 400mhz at any voltage. Im trading this to a friend for my good ol' P5K-E.

waynetu
09-28-2008, 11:29 PM
it seems that the board has no good compatibility with 65nmcpu. but with e8200 or 8400, situ turns to be good and stable, as all you can see through this forum

Mask
09-28-2008, 11:47 PM
can someone tell where P5Q vcore measure point?

IronAge
09-29-2008, 06:10 AM
Ket can u Mod a P5E3 Deluxe Bios so it will have a different VCore but Auto as default setting ?

You can flash a P5E3 Deluxe with a P5E3 Premium.

They only catch is that the CPU got to work with 1,00 VCore @ default clock rate.

So it would be VERY helpful to have a P5E3 Premium modded to lets say 1,35 VCore as default and not Auto/VID Setting.

regards ironage

truehighroller
09-29-2008, 06:25 AM
truehighroller: no idea about the cause of your problem, but since it's clearly specific to your hardware maybe booting vista in safe mode will help identify the problem, by either showing that safe mode works or hanging on a device driver. I also noticed you use grub. how does linux react to the various BIOS versions?

What is Grub? Sorry for my ignorance, I honestly don't know. Safe mode does the same thing..

Ket
09-29-2008, 06:52 AM
it seems that the board has no good compatibility with 65nmcpu. but with e8200 or 8400, situ turns to be good and stable, as all you can see through this forum

Not true. My E4400 is 65nm, and while support isn't the greatest on the P45, my E4400 is still putting out 3.4GHz, and max FSB around 425. Same as my old AW9D-Max, so like I said, not the greatest, but still good.

can someone tell where P5Q vcore measure point?

voltage read points (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/8783-asus-p5q-pro-p45-motherboard-review-14.html)

Ket can u Mod a P5E3 Deluxe Bios so it will have a different VCore but Auto as default setting ?

You can flash a P5E3 Deluxe with a P5E3 Premium.

They only catch is that the CPU got to work with 1,00 VCore @ default clock rate.

So it would be VERY helpful to have a P5E3 Premium modded to lets say 1,35 VCore as default and not Auto/VID Setting.

regards ironage

So you want a BIOS where the vcore defaults to 1.35v instead of auto?

Ket
09-29-2008, 07:13 AM
New post so my other one doesn't get into some kind of essay length. I recently modified some very early P5Q series BIOSes, specifically, the ones without that FSB Enhancement option, whatever the hell its supposed to do, it doesn't seem to do it just cause porblems. Anyway after modding 703 for the P5Q Pro pow just like that my system is seemingly stable as a rock with 1200+ memory frequencies. I put trfc to 42 and a perf level of 8, all good so far :toast: once my system has finished running OCCT v2a I will upload these early rev. modded BIOS files. For me the difference is staggering. I think we should all jump on the back of the Asus bandwagon and keep harassing them until they remove that FSB enhancement option. Asus haven't even added that FSB enhancement option to the Maximus 2 Formula even in the M2Fs latest BIOS rev. (1307) so why the hell put that POS FSB enhancement option on the P5Q series? Surely Asus have got the message by now its problematic for everyone.

ThugsRook
09-29-2008, 07:25 AM
I recently modified some very early P5Q series BIOSes, specifically, the ones without that FSB Enhancement option, whatever the hell its supposed to do, it doesn't seem to do it just cause porblems. Anyway after modding 703 for the P5Q Pro pow just like that my system is seemingly stable as a rock with 1200+ memory frequencies. I put trfc to 42 and a perf level of 8, all good so far :toast: once my system has finished running OCCT v2a I will upload these early rev. modded BIOS files. For me the difference is staggering.
are you running a wolfie yet?

early bioses have a minimum vFSB of 1.20v for wolfies. (should be 1.10v)

IronAge
09-29-2008, 07:25 AM
Yeah. I want a P5E3 Premium Bios where the Default VCore ist set to 1,35.

So i can do a cross flash of a P5E3 Deluxe to a P5E3 Premium and start it without having a first class OC CPU. (Which runs default clock rate at 0,99 VCore to be exact)

Think their would be a bunch of guys happy having it - including me.

The most recent P5E3 Premium Bios canbe found here:

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket775/P5E3_Premium/P5E3-ASUS-Premium-0505.zip

If you could take a look that would be great. :up:

Edit: Maybe it would be good idea to even chose 1,45 VCore at default since the cross flash seems to change the VCore range.

Ket
09-29-2008, 09:59 AM
are you running a wolfie yet?

early bioses have a minimum vFSB of 1.20v for wolfies. (should be 1.10v)

Not yet. Penciled in but I have other things that keep coming up. If a few people want to buy some of the stuff in my sig tho then that will move the wolfie purchase forward :D

samsonJS
09-29-2008, 11:12 AM
What is Grub? Sorry for my ignorance, I honestly don't know. Safe mode does the same thing..

I was probably mistaken but it looked like you were selecting Windows from the boot loader known as grub (http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/), most frequently seen for booting linux systems or multibooting > 1 OS. I thought I caught a glimpse of it and assumed you had a Linux distro installed.

Ket
09-29-2008, 11:30 AM

So i can do a cross flash of a P5E3 Deluxe to a P5E3 Premium and start it without having a first class OC CPU. (Which runs default clock rate at 0,99 VCore to be exact)

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket775/P5E3_Premium/P5E3-ASUS-Premium-0505.zip

Edit: Maybe it would be good idea to even chose 1,45 VCore at default since the cross flash seems to change the VCore range.

I tried to open the BIOS image with a few tools, but none could.

xdan
09-29-2008, 11:35 AM
So, Ket , sorry if i'm a little rush :(, but when you post the new mbios for P5Q-PRO, i'm also a little dissapointed with my MB performances, mainly because it's not reached it's full potential(P45 potential) but i know that you can fix this with a good bios.:up: . I don't know if you work somwhere, but i know the right job that will catch you : Bios progamator :yepp:. I mean it, even in this forum i don't saw another man who can "work" bioses than you:up:

alall
09-29-2008, 12:09 PM
Ket:
Could you please give me a little help with some initial overclock settings for an ASUS P5Q Pro (your 1306 mBios) and a E8400 cpu.
i need a base to start at.

Thanks for any help, AlAll

truehighroller
09-29-2008, 12:19 PM
I think we should all jump on the back of the Asus bandwagon and keep harassing them until they remove that FSB enhancement option. Asus haven't even added that FSB enhancement option to the Maximus 2 Formula even in the M2Fs latest BIOS rev. (1307) so why the hell put that POS FSB enhancement option on the P5Q series? Surely Asus have got the message by now its problematic for everyone.

Agreed in whole.. Did you see my videos this time? Lol I made it to easy for you to say no.. :yepp:

CapFTP
09-29-2008, 01:14 PM

if I remember well the delta Vcore is about 0.4 (stummerwinter measured 0.375 less) so make your calculation for the CPU you have.
I had to start the mobo with a 6550 (which was capable of boot with very low voltage) and then set a higher voltage and then switch to a 8600 cpu.

After all this mess, I decided to mod it

Ket
09-29-2008, 02:36 PM
xdan: I can only work on the BIOS when I have free time.

I will uploading some modded early rev. BIOSes for people to try. Incredibly my modded 703 gives me by far the best results. My system is stable with memory frequencies beyond 1233MHz. Whereas with any other BIOS, that damn FSB enhancement option cripples everything.

Truehighroller; Not yet :p: Working on BIOS code isn't the only thing I'm doing, I'm also working on a megamod for STALKER :yepp: If anyone is curious you can get info, screenshots, videos etc from HERE (http://gamerspedia.net/stalkermod/viewtopic.php?t=13) :up:

alall: I'll post the settings I use when I've finished tweaking them.

YMAA
09-29-2008, 02:51 PM
That's really interesting, I wonder why Asus would do that? Can't wait to try this out on the Deluxe, my Redline 2GB modules hates to clock past 1030 or so.

Ket
09-29-2008, 03:00 PM
I had almost the exact same memory frequency limit - I was stuck at 1040MHz or so. The system would POST with much higher frequencies, but not be stable in Windoze.

P5Q Series mBIOS pack download (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CYL4M0TJ)

Ket
09-29-2008, 03:12 PM
People are asking this question a lot in various threads so hopefully making a new post will help people see it easier. The purpose in CPU Margin Enhancement is to help provide better FSB clocking with cheaper C2Ds.. that is, according to intel. In practicality this option only seems to play absolute havock with peoples systems. If you are experiencing odd system instability, not able to get FSB clocks as high as you could, or having strangely low DRAM frequency barriers I strongly advise you try one of these P5Q Series mBIOSes (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CYL4M0TJ). The pack contains modded BIOS files for all P5Q series boards using code before asus added CPU Margin Enhancement.

axy1985
09-29-2008, 03:26 PM
I understand where you're coming from, stupid decision to add that, even more stupid not to remove it... but would ppl be missing out on something useful when going that back with such "old" BIOSes? I ask, cause if someone knows what exactly they added, improved, etc in their later releases, it would be you. :)
I'm aslo guessing that the CPU Margin Enhancement isn't something you can just turno off huh lol.

Ket
09-29-2008, 03:31 PM
All the BIOS releases asus have done mostly just work on memory compatibility and CPU support.. but as the BIOSes in that mBIOS pack all use the memory table from the P5Q Premium 1401 BIOS and my custom P6 CPU table that adds even more CPU support - your not going to be missing much if anything :up:

axy1985
09-29-2008, 03:34 PM
*dowloads 704m and takes out USB drive*

Dee
09-29-2008, 04:22 PM
You mean 704? Let us know how you get on.

axy1985
09-29-2008, 04:38 PM
Figured what the heck, I've tried almost everything else. :)

Tony
09-29-2008, 04:42 PM
That's really interesting, I wonder why Asus would do that? Can't wait to try this out on the Deluxe, my Redline 2GB modules hates to clock past 1030 or so.
Guys Asus sell different levels of motherboard at different prices. They will limit the OC on lower levels to push enthusiasts to buy the better boards, simple strategic play and i bet all the motherboard manufacturers do it. what pisses me off is the lower boards can be real bad with ram but end users never see that.

Keep in mind they make very low margins on the lower spec boards...they do NOT want enthusiasts buying them really...they want you buying ROG boards etc

truehighroller
09-29-2008, 04:46 PM
Since I have now seen that I can turn my vfsb up higher I might give your 0704 a run and try to crank my shiznit up some more for benchies if you think it might be better then the 0803 you modded for me.

hema
09-29-2008, 04:59 PM
even with last modded 0703 for P5Q non pro bios
I cant get ram to run lower than 800
even without CPU Margin Enhancement

Toysoldier
09-29-2008, 05:01 PM
So far so good. 704m Runs and benches fine on my Deluxe board. I'm going to see how high I can push my Q6600 on the FSB.

Ket
09-29-2008, 05:45 PM
Guys Asus sell different levels of motherboard at different prices. They will limit the OC on lower levels to push enthusiasts to buy the better boards, simple strategic play and i bet all the motherboard manufacturers do it. what pisses me off is the lower boards can be real bad with ram but end users never see that.

Keep in mind they make very low margins on the lower spec boards...they do NOT want enthusiasts buying them really...they want you buying ROG boards etc

Why do you think I busted out my BIOS modding tools? :p: I was all too well aware of Asus pulling crap like this, and tbh when I bought the P5Q Pro it was around £100 before postage, so not exactly cheap for a mobo. Asus especially have very poor comprehension of that lower-mid highend boards will net them the most money. I have only ever ONCE bought an uber board - Asus Crosshair, BUT, it just looked fancy. Didn't exactly have anything I hadn't seen on other, CHEAPER boards. Now with my skills applied to BIOS 703\4\7 (depending what mobo you own) the board I have at least has never clocked better. 1206MHz memory frequency rock stable, before nomatter what I modded any BIOS that had that pesky CPU Margin Enhancement I couldn't crack 1066 stable even though I could boot much higher frequencies (1200+)

truehighroller
09-29-2008, 05:52 PM
The 0704 was a little slower for me so , I figured ok maybe more speed then but, nope. I couldn't boot into 495 x 8 but, I could 490. I went back to 0803 I get 5ns better lats with it. Thank you though Ket :up: .

Ket
09-29-2008, 06:21 PM
Its just as I said somewhere in this thread, everything is subjective, what works for one may not work for another ;) I may find myself flashing up to 1307m again once I get a wolfie, but in the meantime I'll keep my 1200MHz+ mem frequency :D

ThugsRook
09-29-2008, 06:42 PM

yes we know, thats why we hate Asus and love guys like Ket.

next youll hear how Asus is upset that someone is messin with their bios files and how these files are messin up ppls boards :ROTF:

SPiTFiREgr
09-30-2008, 03:37 AM
703m on my P5Q-PRO resulted no POST with OCZ2N1066SR1G. ASUS crappy memory support..

Ket
09-30-2008, 03:42 AM
I'll look at 901 beta for the Pro, if theres no CPU M-E, I'll mod that one up for people to try. Which mem slots did you put those SR1G sticks in?

Mick64
09-30-2008, 04:31 AM
Ket, Just wondering if you, or you no of someone, who can supply a modded BIOS for the Asus P5K Premium that would improve the memory frequency steps? Thanks...

ghost_recon88
09-30-2008, 05:23 AM
So which BIOS is currently the best for a P5Q Pro and a E7200?

Ket
09-30-2008, 05:25 AM
Try 1307m, if that doesn't quite work out try 703m.

SPiTFiREgr
09-30-2008, 05:32 AM
I'll look at 901 beta for the Pro, if theres no CPU M-E, I'll mod that one up for people to try. Which mem slots did you put those SR1G sticks in?

Yellow ones. I've tried blacks in past to see if they'll let me overclock better but got the same results.

mhw100
09-30-2008, 06:13 AM
Ket, Just wondering if you, or you no of someone, who can supply a modded BIOS for the Asus P5K Premium that would improve the memory frequency steps? Thanks...

...or the P5K-E for that matter.

Vazovskiiii
09-30-2008, 08:03 AM
I done these a little while back and haven't made new versions for the new betas, mainly because for the time being at least the new beta BIOS versions don't seem to bring any improvements.

What these BIOSes do:

The aim of these BIOS versions is to further enhance memory compatibility & OCing (on lower end P5Q models), add support for a few more CPUs (39, +8 on P5Q & Pro, +2 on other models).

Quite a lot of people have noted being able to get some rather impressive OC results on their Deluxe or Premium with my mBIOS versions too, which is why I'm doing them as well.

Note that you may need to do a CMOS reset after flashing to any of these mBIOSes

P5Q mBIOS 1004 (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=A7MI68PD)
P5Q Pro mBIOS 1104 (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=IS3FCVWS)
P5Q-E mBIOS 1201 (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HF0B0YLQ)
P5Q Deluxe mBIOS 1201 (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CFO80BB8)
P5Q Premium mBIOS 1201 (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=F6R7J4PX)

Special modded BIOSes for P5Q series using BIOS revs BEFORE asus added the problematic CPU Margin Enhancement.

...and for anyone that needs it;

you think that 703 is better than 1307 on my comp result of 1307 is more than 703:) this is old 0703 right? there still is problem with core temp on Q6600 i think that 1307 is better on my com:)
buy the way wen you are planing do the uber bios? you told that you are starting working on it :) so what this uber bios meens? what is uber bios? i'm sure that it will be realy good but can you tell me please what is uber bios and when you planing finish it? :)
thank you
you are the best :0

TJK
09-30-2008, 10:03 AM
Hey Ket I made this tinyurl to point people to this thread who ask about my BIOS. Maybe ya'd like to use it as well.

http://tinyurl.com/moddedp5q

axy1985
09-30-2008, 12:40 PM
Mmm... BIOS 704Mm is causing some odd issues were the BIOS does not retain settings... I'll look into it a tad further.
Additionally, no matter what OCed settings I use, it won't boot. Back to 1306 I guess.

Kai Robinson
09-30-2008, 12:44 PM
Any idea why the P5Q will NOT overclock with half dividers? I have the P5Q Deluxe and an E7200 - runs at 400x9 fine and even runs at 445x9 fine, but 9.5x400 is a no go - it posts but windows just instantly bluescreens. Put the divider to an integer value and all is well...

Edit: I'm using the 1306 Factory BIOS, currently.

Vektor67
09-30-2008, 01:03 PM
I went back to the Premium memory table for its versatility. I was just testing out the M2F table, working on theory that it should be able to clock memory better.. turns out with later BIOS revisions the P5Q Premium memory table pisses all over the memory table from the M2F as it better supports, shall we say "our kind" of memory ;)

Sweet :D

Every BIOS is subjective based on a persons hardware. Its probably worth a whirl, and if not, hey you haven't lost anything, just revery back to 1402 :cool:

The last Dlx BIOS to use a Premium memory table is 1306.

So just to be clear 1403 does or does not have the Premium memory table, the one which "pisses all over the M2F", I've been running your 1402 and like it for it's stability and mainly because I can finally use NVFlash. I take it 1403 also sees NTFS partitions? Oh and by "your kind of memory" I gather you are rferring to Cell Shock's or D9 modules. Lil ol me is just running some budget Gskill DDR2 1000 2x2GB, in your opinion would I be better served by the M2F or the P5Q Premium table? in other words 1402 or 1403 I'm itching to upgrade the bios why I don't know, it's a disease I guess. Whats really funny is that it's 99.9% certain that by the time I get a reply I will have updated to 1403. lol

Ket
09-30-2008, 01:34 PM
Mmm... BIOS 704Mm is causing some odd issues were the BIOS does not retain settings... I'll look into it a tad further.
Additionally, no matter what OCed settings I use, it won't boot. Back to 1306 I guess.

Thats very strange. By the looks f your setup your system may be one of the ones that prefer a BIOS with CPU M-E.

Any idea why the P5Q will NOT overclock with half dividers? I have the P5Q Deluxe and an E7200 - runs at 400x9 fine and even runs at 445x9 fine, but 9.5x400 is a no go - it posts but windows just instantly bluescreens. Put the divider to an integer value and all is well...

Edit: I'm using the 1306 Factory BIOS, currently.

Theres a known issue with half multis with the P5Q series, Asus are aware of it, if they fix it or not is another matter.

you think that 703 is better than 1307 on my comp result of 1307 is more than 703:) this is old 0703 right? there still is problem with core temp on Q6600 i think that 1307 is better on my com:)
buy the way wen you are planing do the uber bios? you told that you are starting working on it :) so what this uber bios meens? what is uber bios? i'm sure that it will be realy good but can you tell me please what is uber bios and when you planing finish it? :)
thank you
you are the best :0

I'll release it when I get chance to finish it, at this time there is no ETA.

So just to be clear 1403 does or does not have the Premium memory table, the one which "pisses all over the M2F", I've been running your 1402 and like it for it's stability and mainly because I can finally use NVFlash. I take it 1403 also sees NTFS partitions? Oh and by "your kind of memory" I gather you are rferring to Cell Shock's or D9 modules. Lil ol me is just running some budget Gskill DDR2 1000 2x2GB, in your opinion would I be better served by the M2F or the P5Q Premium table? in other words 1402 or 1403 I'm itching to upgrade the bios why I don't know, it's a disease I guess. Whats really funny is that it's 99.9% certain that by the time I get a reply I will have updated to 1403. lol

If 1402 is working good for you and all is well, no real point it messing and "disturbing" your system ;)

SPiTFiREgr
09-30-2008, 02:11 PM
Theres a known issue with half multis with the P5Q series, Asus are aware of it, if they fix it or not is another matter.

What? I'm using a half multi too! Is this confirmed?

Ket
09-30-2008, 02:12 PM
Its confirmed to the point Asus are aware of something odd going on :p:

ThugsRook
09-30-2008, 02:21 PM
my 7.5 multi works fine, but there is no 6.5 multi for me :shrug:

(e8200/p5q)

SPiTFiREgr
09-30-2008, 02:41 PM
Its confirmed to the point Asus are aware of something odd going on :p:

There are so many odd things happening with the P5Q series :P Maybe the series is cursed :P

I'm also stable with 9.5 x 365 but nothing higher than 365...

YMAA
09-30-2008, 03:00 PM
Just flashed to Ket's modded 704 BIOS for the P5Q-Deluxe...very nice. My Redline 2GB sticks are currently Priming at 528MHz (DDR2-1056) at 2.1v. They needed at least 2.2v to get up there with any degree of stability. I like! :D

I really appreciate the work you're doing on these BIOSes. If you have a PayPal email address I'd be happy to toss you a small donation for your effort.

Vektor67
09-30-2008, 03:33 PM
Thats very strange. By the looks f your setup your system may be one of the ones that prefer a BIOS with CPU M-E.

If 1402 is working good for you and all is well, no real point it messing and "disturbing" your system ;)

Sage advice, but as predicted by the time I read it I had already flashed, and I'm doing well, whether it's the bios or that I just hit on some better settings but I've eeked another volt less 1.21 in Bios 1.2 actual and PL7 pull outs enabled vs 8 on 1402 Intelburntest stable. I actually booted into windows with my ram @ 1066 but my linpacks were off(didn't crash however) So I likee. Nothing earth shattering but a nice reasonable 20% and I get to keep my fans real quiet. I did test stable 500 FSBx6 earlier so I could get a whole lot more out of this I'm sure but... I'm happy for now. Thanks Ket

Ket
09-30-2008, 03:45 PM
Just flashed to Ket's modded 704 BIOS for the P5Q-Deluxe...very nice. My Redline 2GB sticks are currently Priming at 528MHz (DDR2-1056) at 2.1v. They needed at least 2.2v to get up there with any degree of stability. I like! :D

I really appreciate the work you're doing on these BIOSes. If you have a PayPal email address I'd be happy to toss you a small donation for your effort.

Sadly I don't have a paypal account anymore :( they once tried just taking £200 from my account, no explanations why or replies to my emails \ calls. I am looking into other methods similar to paypal though, only much more secure :)

Big Lar
09-30-2008, 04:23 PM
Ket, or someone else more knowledgeable than I,( prob 75% of the folks here :D ).
Question as to Skews and Phase Pull-Ins. Do, for instance the Phase pullins relate to a cpu core? As in, PhaseA PH1, would this relate to say Core0? Same question as to Skews. I am talking about the P5Q-D here. Probably a bit confusing as to my question, but hopefully I put it out there correctly.

Larry

hema
09-30-2008, 04:23 PM
my 7.5 multi works fine, but there is no 6.5 multi for me :shrug:

(e8200/p5q)

I canot get 7.5 multi with my P5Q and Q6600 or any fine ratio like (6.5 , 7.5 , 8.5 ,....)
my bios version now is 703 ket bios

YMAA
09-30-2008, 04:45 PM
65nm chips don't support the .5 multipliers.

Dee
09-30-2008, 05:17 PM
Ket, or someone else more knowledgeable than I,( prob 75% of the folks here :D ).
Question as to Skews and Phase Pull-Ins. Do, for instance the Phase pullins relate to a cpu core? As in, PhaseA PH1, would this relate to say Core0? Same question as to Skews. I am talking about the P5Q-D here. Probably a bit confusing as to my question, but hopefully I put it out there correctly.

Larry

I believe Pull-Ins relate to memory performance? Enabled = better.

I am willing to be corrected on this, though. :D

Big Lar
09-30-2008, 05:26 PM

:) That much I knew. Let me expand a bit, my Weak core is Core1 in Prime95,so I am wondering if I disabled PH1 on both banks and or Messed with the Skews if this would help at all with that. GTL's are the best they will ever get, as well as VTT and NB voltage and the NB GTL.

Thanks for the reply Dee :)

Larry

Dee
09-30-2008, 05:40 PM
Ah, sorry. I'm not sure anyway, you probably know a whole lot more than I do already.

axy1985
09-30-2008, 06:10 PM
Well, thanks for the BIOSes Ket, they work well. They didn't fix my weird FSB limit tho... I guess I just got an overclocking dud :(
My luck... I've tried everything, but can't get it stable past 430MHz FSB :shakes:

Vektor67
09-30-2008, 07:27 PM

It's funny I thought the pull ins did the exact opposite. lol
I wish there were a definitive Bios Guide, so I could research all of the settings. How are you supposed to figure this stuff out?
I'm curious about other settings as well, I mean even stuff like PNP OS, memory hole, PEG/PCI, force bios ect. I get what PNP OS Does but am not sure if enabled is the way to go, the others I'm pretty well clueless. and thats not to mention the skews and such in the AI Tweaker portion. The manual doesn't really get into the nuts and bolts. Those seem obvious on the surface but I wish I could research more with out having to page through forum threads. Someone in the know should do a definitive Republic of Gamers Bios guide. That would cover most things in our bios and then some.

B.E.E.F.
09-30-2008, 08:07 PM
Asus especially have very poor comprehension of that lower-mid highend boards will net them the most money. I have only ever ONCE bought an uber board - Asus Crosshair, BUT, it just looked fancy. Didn't exactly have anything I hadn't seen on other, CHEAPER boards.

Wrong. Its a competitive market even at that price level. Only the ROG series are really differentiated from the competition. That's why they can charge a premium.

Its not just a motherboard. Its the ROG, so pay up. :D

Common marketing strategy. If ASUS didn't do this, they would not be around to make you that P5Q-Pro you enjoy. They would be crushed by the competition long ago.

But thank you for your work Ket. Its awesome to get more performance than I ever expected when I bought this board.

Your m1402 BIOS is great. :clap:

Vazovskiiii
10-01-2008, 01:57 AM

thank's ket you are the men:)
but pls tell me what is the urban bios? what the features you think to install there?

Ket
10-01-2008, 03:02 AM
Wrong. Its a competitive market even at that price level. Only the ROG series are really differentiated from the competition. That's why they can charge a premium.

Its not just a motherboard. Its the ROG, so pay up. :D

Common marketing strategy. If ASUS didn't do this, they would not be around to make you that P5Q-Pro you enjoy. They would be crushed by the competition long ago.

But thank you for your work Ket. Its awesome to get more performance than I ever expected when I bought this board.

Your m1402 BIOS is great. :clap:

A premium is one thing, but bloody £250 or so for a board thats effectively the same as a board costing £110 less just with a crapload of heatsinks? Thats bad Asus, very very bad Asus. Its not like the folk at Asus are that competent and chances are if your ever unfortunate enough to have to RMA to Asus what you send for RMA they will either A: lose, B: You will be waiting forever for it to come back, C: You will get the same damn thing back, D: You will get an RMA replacement back thats in worse condition than what you sent, E: A combination of all of the above.

Horrendous things like that is exactly why Asus can't charge a premium as you get utter crap back that just barely works if you have to RMA.

Dee
10-01-2008, 03:10 AM
I wish there were a definitive Bios Guide, so I could research all of the settings. How are you supposed to figure this stuff out?

I also wish there was a definitive BIOS guide. Another thing -- opinions differ and conflict, especially when it comes to vTT, etc. Very frustrating. Maybe I should go back to AMD! Overclocking was so much more simple back in the day...

Leeghoofd
10-01-2008, 03:13 AM
Ket for the Q9450 users is there a way to disable or completely remove the CPU enhancement line ?

truehighroller
10-01-2008, 03:29 AM
Thank you Leo,

Ket
10-01-2008, 03:33 AM
I also wish there was a definitive BIOS guide. Another thing -- opinions differ and conflict, especially when it comes to vTT, etc. Very frustrating. Maybe I should go back to AMD! Overclocking was so much more simple back in the day...

I have a BIOS guide I drew up, its nothing spectacular yet though.

Ket for the Q9450 users is there a way to disable or completely remove the CPU enhancement line ?

I could remove it from the BIOS, but I don't think it would be as simple as getting rid of the entry for it, that thing probably runs through the BIOS like a black shadow of doom.

Dee
10-01-2008, 03:35 AM
I'll be interested in seeing your BIOS guide if you ever post it.

Mick64
10-01-2008, 04:43 AM
I take it that you only have a knowledge of the P5Q BIOS and do not modify any other BIOS's, such as the P5K?

Ket
10-01-2008, 04:47 AM
I'll post it up when its a little more complete. Also, yet another mBIOS! :scope: This one is for the P5Q Pro, 901. The last version there was not to have the CPU M-E option. Theres been all the usual tweaks plus I have renamed some stuff to make things a bit clearer. I have also optimised some boot settings which should help speed boot times up. Also, take a look at the attached screenshot. People are complaining of "poor" CF performance on P45 boards, I think those NB options may have something to do with it. No, those options are not visible in BIOS before anyone asks :p:

P5Q Pro 901m (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QIEEBFR0)

ghost_recon88
10-01-2008, 05:02 AM
So the P5Q Pro 901m BIOS doesn't have the CPU Margin Enhancement while the 1307m does? Is the E7200 considered "low enough" that you think it would benefit from it?

Ket
10-01-2008, 05:08 AM
I don't think any CPU can really benefit from CPU M-E. I would generally advise people first try a BIOS without CPU-M-E, and if things don't go so hot then try the latest mBIOS.

B.E.E.F.
10-01-2008, 05:14 AM
A premium is one thing, but bloody £250 or so for a board thats effectively the same as a board costing £110 less just with a crapload of heatsinks? Thats bad Asus, very very bad Asus. Its not like the folk at Asus are that competent and chances are if your ever unfortunate enough to have to RMA to Asus what you send for RMA they will either A: lose, B: You will be waiting forever for it to come back, C: You will get the same damn thing back, D: You will get an RMA replacement back thats in worse condition than what you sent, E: A combination of all of the above.

Horrendous things like that is exactly why Asus can't charge a premium as you get utter crap back that just barely works if you have to RMA.

Support is a separate department, and ASUS doesn't seem to have it all together.

Its priced higher the same reason a BMW or a Mercedes is priced higher. Because they can. Its marketed as an exclusive, premium product for hardcore gamers. The price helps to sell it. If its more expensive, it MUST be good!

I'm talking about the marketing strategy. Why they price the product at that level. Not what its actually worth.

Ket
10-01-2008, 05:37 AM
I take it that you only have a knowledge of the P5Q BIOS and do not modify any other BIOS's, such as the P5K?

More along the lines of I'm ONE (1) person. Not many, nor am I an octopus :p: Theres only so much I can do at any one time and as I have said before, unless there are expectional circumstances (such as truehighrollers) I am NOT going to be modding all kinds of BIOS files simply because I A: Don't have the time, and B: Its not like any company is paying me to do this. I started it simply because I was pissed off at the :banana::banana::banana::banana:ty condition Asus let the P5Q Series out the door in.

hema
10-01-2008, 06:00 AM
what about insert some options from Maximus-II-ASUS-Formula- to the last version there was not to have the CPU M-E option.
this project still keep on or what

CryptiK
10-01-2008, 06:15 AM
:) That much I knew. Let me expand a bit, my Weak core is Core1 in Prime95,so I am wondering if I disabled PH1 on both banks and or Messed with the Skews if this would help at all with that. GTL's are the best they will ever get, as well as VTT and NB voltage and the NB GTL.

Thanks for the reply Dee :)

Larry

CPU and NB clock skews affect the cpu and northbridge respectively. When you increase the FSB, especially above 400, the clock begins to drift, and the clock skew setting allows you to pull it back a little. This can aid stability. With wolfdales, anywhere from 100 - 500ps delay can help, usually 300 - 500 get the best results. I'm not sure about quads, I've never owned one. With the NB clock skew, it can be used in conjunction with the cpu clock skew, but it requires less adjustment, usually 100 - 300ps works well.

The 'Pull-ins' relate to memory channel phases. Enabling the phase pull-ins theoretically reduces the latency and increases the performance a little, kind of like reducing the PL but not as strong an effect. However, I have actually found that on my P5Q-Deluxe and Maximus II Formula the pullins do absolutely nothing.

Mick64
10-01-2008, 06:26 AM
More along the lines of I'm ONE (1) person. Not many, nor am I an octopus :p: Theres only so much I can do at any one time and as I have said before, unless there are expectional circumstances (such as truehighrollers) I am NOT going to be modding all kinds of BIOS files simply because I A: Don't have the time, and B: Its not like any company is paying me to do this. I started it simply because I was pissed off at the :banana::banana::banana::banana:ty condition Asus let the P5Q Series out the door in.

Thank you for posting a reply! I can well understand where your coming from, just thought as you are modding the ASUS P5Q BIOS you might have a go at modding some other ASUS BIOS's. Perhaps you could make this into some kind of business?

Ket
10-01-2008, 06:34 AM
So the P5Q Pro 901m BIOS doesn't have the CPU Margin Enhancement while the 1307m does? Is the E7200 considered "low enough" that you think it would benefit from it?

Also, let us know how 901m does :up: I won't make any further changes until some feedback is recieved.

truehighroller
10-01-2008, 06:48 AM
They might be pulling the option out real soon that is all I will say....... Ket I pmed you.

B.E.E.F.
10-01-2008, 06:50 AM
Perhaps you could make this into some kind of business?

Can you spell copyright infringement?

The only way I see this working is if he writes original BIOSes from scratch.

Mick64
10-01-2008, 06:54 AM
Can you spell copyright infringement?

The only way I see this working is if he writes original BIOSes from scratch.

Didn't think of that! Perhaps Ket should get a job at Asus....

Kai Robinson
10-01-2008, 07:42 AM
Aaah so the half multi is a known issue - well, glad (in a way) that i'm not the only one to have experienced it.

Currently, running orthos at 420x9.5, 1.4250v and it's stable 21 mins in, whereas 445x9 wasn't (same settings otherwise, vtt, vMem, vCore, NB)...the BIOS's that are newer than the 1306 i'm assuming are Beta's?

Oh and whats CPU Margin Enhancement?

truehighroller
10-01-2008, 08:00 AM
Aaah so the half multi is a known issue - well, glad (in a way) that i'm not the only one to have experienced it.

Currently, running orthos at 420x9.5, 1.4250v and it's stable 21 mins in, whereas 445x9 wasn't (same settings otherwise, vtt, vMem, vCore, NB)...the BIOS's that are newer than the 1306 i'm assuming are Beta's?

A :banana::banana::banana::banana:y option that is forking stuff up for Q9450 users and maybe,, other Quad users.. You have nothing to worry about if you are using a dual core.

Ket
10-01-2008, 08:09 AM

People are asking this question a lot in various threads so hopefully making a new post will help people see it easier. The purpose in CPU Margin Enhancement is to help provide better FSB clocking with cheaper C2Ds.. that is, according to intel. In practicality this option only seems to play absolute havock with peoples systems. If you are experiencing odd system instability, not able to get FSB clocks as high as you could, or having strangely low DRAM frequency barriers I strongly advise you try one of these P5Q Series mBIOSes (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CYL4M0TJ). The pack contains modded BIOS files for all P5Q series boards using code before asus added CPU Margin Enhancement.

That should explain it ;)

truehighroller
10-01-2008, 08:19 AM
:yepp:

IanB
10-01-2008, 08:20 AM
Are the reported problems with Q9450 ONLY occurring with those, or on the Q9550 as well? I'm currently losing sleep over an upgrade decision on Q6700 or Q9550 (with P5Q Pro)... :p: Are the 45nm quads more trouble than they are worth compared to the older models?

truehighroller
10-01-2008, 08:27 AM
I say get the 9550 and stick to a BIOS that doesn't have the option on it and you will be happy.:up: They will be removing the option very soon at this point any way so problem almost solved.

Ket
10-01-2008, 08:40 AM
There is going to be a new set of BIOS files I will be releasing in a few days hopefully, quite heavily modified. These files will NOT be the "uber BIOSes".

truehighroller
10-01-2008, 08:50 AM
Picture is worth 1000 words,,

http://img390.imageshack.us/img390/4776/1000wordscb7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Ket
10-01-2008, 08:58 AM
1403 works for you? If thats the case, tell Asus to bloody hurry up and churn out a 1403 for all the P5Q series.

truehighroller
10-01-2008, 09:04 AM
It works with my Q6600 that is the key note my freind , that is the key note. You know what this means right? My Q9450 has been damaged by this damn setting.......:shakes:

Ket
10-01-2008, 09:39 AM
Bad Asus. They didn't put CPU M-E in the M2F BIOS and that board uses a P45 chipset, so why did they put it in the P5Q Series? At the very least Asus should have thoroughly tasted an option such as CPU M-E before releasing a BIOS with it in :shakes:

samsonJS
10-01-2008, 11:15 AM
Are the reported problems with Q9450 ONLY occurring with those, or on the Q9550 as well? I'm currently losing sleep over an upgrade decision on Q6700 or Q9550 (with P5Q Pro)... :p: Are the 45nm quads more trouble than they are worth compared to the older models?

It's highly dependent on your setup. I see no issues on my p5q-e with my q9450 & newer BIOSes like 1201 and 1402.

Big Lar
10-01-2008, 01:23 PM
CPU and NB clock skews affect the cpu and northbridge respectively. When you increase the FSB, especially above 400, the clock begins to drift, and the clock skew setting allows you to pull it back a little. This can aid stability. With wolfdales, anywhere from 100 - 500ps delay can help, usually 300 - 500 get the best results. I'm not sure about quads, I've never owned one. With the NB clock skew, it can be used in conjunction with the cpu clock skew, but it requires less adjustment, usually 100 - 300ps works well.

The 'Pull-ins' relate to memory channel phases. Enabling the phase pull-ins theoretically reduces the latency and increases the performance a little, kind of like reducing the PL but not as strong an effect. However, I have actually found that on my P5Q-Deluxe and Maximus II Formula the pullins do absolutely nothing.

Thank You for that information, it does help some and is appreciated :)

Larry

samsonJS
10-01-2008, 02:36 PM
fwiw clock skews can make all the difference with quads too. unlike my gigabyte ep45-ds3r i don't need to adjust clock skews to get high clocks on the p5q-e, but especially when OCing memory they do come in handy. the only trick is to get a 50ps interval on p5q boards you have to adjust the dimm clock skew as well as the cpu and nb skews, since the latter 2 only have 100ps intervals on p5q boards. regardless you might find they help you squeeze out the last few mhz you're after. in some cases they might even help you achieve lower clocks with less volts than with skews on auto, so they're not strictly for OCs that push the limits of your hardware.

edit: found a nice light explanation of clock skews that helped me understand them better ... http://www.overclock.net/faqs/119265-how-clock-skew-can-save-your.html

cka3o4nuk
10-01-2008, 03:02 PM
ppl can anybody upload somewhere bios seting for p5q-e and e8500 e0 higt overclock? (espesialy interested in gtl and vtt and northebridge) oc 4.5 or higher for m1402 bios?

Ket
10-02-2008, 01:38 AM
Uh-oh.. Cryptik.. its one of "those" people :p:

Ket
10-02-2008, 08:29 AM
BIOSes removed.

Dee
10-02-2008, 08:53 AM
Hi Ket. What's the reason for setting CPU Margin Enhancement to Compatible?

Ket
10-02-2008, 09:18 AM
Theory is it'll enable the BIOS to act more like the versions before CPU M-E was added.

Dee
10-02-2008, 09:36 AM
OK, P5Q-E 1402m is scary. You might need to pull it down before anyone else tries it.

Loaded defaults on 1302, rebooted, Flashed to 1402, system rebooted, entered setup and set defaults, tried to save and reboot, and it rebooted to a blank screen. Got scared, thought my system was screwed, but managed to reboot properly after turning all power off. Rebooted, entered BIOS, it was back at stock settings. Entered defaults, tried to reboot, system froze. was able to boot after turning power off again, but got "Press F1 to restore BIOS settings" screen or whatever it is. I did that, and entered BIOS again. Settings were back at default. 1402 will not save BIOS settings and every time I try to get into Windows with defaults, I get "Press F1 to recover BIOS", blah.

I'm all for adding more memory and CPU compatibility Ket but I think maybe you went too far with these! I'm not sure about renaming stuff in there anyway, I'd rather keep the original names for stuff... call me old fashioned if you like, but it's kinda pointless renaming it to Xtreme Clocker. My OC's are not very extreme anyway!

Ket
10-02-2008, 10:16 AM
I renamed it just because "Ai Tweaker" sounds a bit gay :p: I'm not sure why the BIOS acted weird for you, its only mostly been minor layout changes. Did you properly reset the CMOS after the flash? (remove power cord and battery etc)

Kai Robinson
10-02-2008, 11:23 AM
Just a question, what are you using to edit the BIOS files? Is it IDA Pro? If so, i have v4.8 and can't open anything :(

Dee
10-02-2008, 11:37 AM
I renamed it just because "Ai Tweaker" sounds a bit gay :p: I'm not sure why the BIOS acted weird for you, its only mostly been minor layout changes. Did you properly reset the CMOS after the flash? (remove power cord and battery etc)

Yeah, it is a bit gay. Fair point! :D

Nope, no reset, I have never needed to reset CMOS and I've done literally dozens of flashes on this board. I'm on the previous version of 1402 right now, btw. All is well.

Mrki
10-02-2008, 01:10 PM
Hello Ket

Now is was at 530MHz FSB 1:1 with my Mushkin 2x2GB Black 1066MHz

I think i have a FSB Wall and i will ask you what BIOS i should have to try? The Last in your Post Today 1402 or the 703m 3 Days ago?

It was in both BIOS the CPU Margin E. at disabled or only in the 703m?

Board was a P5Q-E

Ket
10-02-2008, 01:42 PM
Just a question, what are you using to edit the BIOS files? Is it IDA Pro? If so, i have v4.8 and can't open anything :(

Nope I use AMIBCP and MMTOOL.

Yeah, it is a bit gay. Fair point! :D

Nope, no reset, I have never needed to reset CMOS and I've done literally dozens of flashes on this board. I'm on the previous version of 1402 right now, btw. All is well.

Well now thats not very good is it :p: When experiencing odd issues resetting the CMOS by removing power, batter and setting jumper to "clear" is always the first thing to try. I've lost count of the amount of times various system of mine hasn't POST after a BIOS update and I've had to remove power, battery and set jumper to "clear". Sometimes pretty big changes are made in a BIOS rev. and a CMOS clear is just necessary.

Dee
10-02-2008, 03:09 PM
I never needed to do it! Maybe I'll try doing that next time, but whatever BIOS I've flashed to, it's always just worked fine without any fuss.

axy1985
10-02-2008, 04:59 PM
Bah, remove battery... I wouldn't mind if the video card wasn't in the way lol.

carepolice
10-02-2008, 08:16 PM
Uhh.. not good 2x remove battery and cmos lear AND still not working! :(

I am really afraid now, posting from laptop

Should i keep repreating this?

mathewgx
10-02-2008, 09:29 PM

Loaded defaults on 1302, rebooted, Flashed to 1402, system rebooted, entered setup and set defaults, tried to save and reboot, and it rebooted to a blank screen. Got scared, thought my system was screwed, but managed to reboot properly after turning all power off. Rebooted, entered BIOS, it was back at stock settings. Entered defaults, tried to reboot, system froze. was able to boot after turning power off again, but got "Press F1 to restore BIOS settings" screen or whatever it is. I did that, and entered BIOS again. Settings were back at default. 1402 will not save BIOS settings and every time I try to get into Windows with defaults, I get "Press F1 to recover BIOS", blah.

Same story here , did clearmos before and after the update. Something is very wrong with this bios. Please Ket remove it , before someone screws up his system.

Huexxx
10-02-2008, 10:49 PM
I haven't had problems at all with 1402m Bios...

mathewgx
10-02-2008, 11:52 PM
Maybe the problem occurs only with p5q-e ?

I noticed that when i restarted after flashing , the fsb was at 800. I changed it to 400 (with 9 multiplier) , changed the ram to 1066 , 5-5-5-15 , finetuned some other settings (which always worked fine with other bios) , but when i resterted it prompted me to preess F1 and all the settings were back at default (even the settings for ide/raid).

That was strange because with all the other bios , when restarting from a bad o/c , the only things that were restored at default were only the cpu / ram options.

Vektor67
10-03-2008, 12:12 AM
New set of mBIOSes.

P5Q ver. 1307
P5Q Pro ver. 1307
P5Q-E ver. 1402
P5Q Deluxe ver. 1403
P5Q Premium ver. 1401

Changes:

Rename "Ai Tweaker" "Xtreme Clocker"
Renamed some options in "Xtreme Clocker"
Optimised some boot config timeouts, should help speed booting up a bit
Set "CPU Margin Enhancement" to "compatible"
Customised "setup defaults" to help get folk up and running faster
Renamed profile options under "ASUS OC Profile"
Added P5Q Premium memory table to mBIOSes
Added custom P6 table to mBIOSes
Custom boot logo :p:

Thats everything. Awaiting feedback on these before changing anything else in them :up:

P5Q mBIOSes DL (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JUQFKF39)

Stupid Question is this just a bundle of previously released M Bios from you or are they a R2 further tweaking of the earlier mods? in other words is the 1403m i got the other day the same as the one in this pack?
Thanks as always.

Ket
10-03-2008, 03:26 AM
I never needed to do it! Maybe I'll try doing that next time, but whatever BIOS I've flashed to, it's always just worked fine without any fuss.

I started investigating why the P5Q-E mBIOS was so flaky by using the P5Q Pro version on my board, I started with just a couple name changes and went with that, then POW, no POST. So I'd say its pretty safe to say these AMI BIOS files don't like having things renamed, regardless of how harmless renaming an item is. That said though my board was acting up very slightly by taking ages to POST before the flash. All the usual has been done, full CMOS reset, swapped RAM with various other kits etc, nada. So to be on the safe side I'm yanking the last set of mBIOSes.

Stupid Question is this just a bundle or previously released M Bios from you or are they a R2 further tweaking of the earlier mods? in other words is the 1403m i got the other day the same as the one in this pack?
Thanks as always.

Their further modified, but theres some very weird issues, so DONT use those files.

carepolice
10-03-2008, 03:34 AM
Any ideas what to do if i cant get my computer work, after i flashed to these new bioses my computer screen is just black and graphic gards fan spin like crazy. :(
Should i contact straight to asus or what ? :((

xdan
10-03-2008, 03:42 AM
I'm very wory that my P5Q-PRO is dead :shrug: I know, Ket that all mbios are not guaranted 100% to work to every P5Q-PRO MB. ]
Yesterday i had m1307 and I had flah to m901 to see if there any improvement whitout CPU ENHACEMENT. I flash the bios with ASUS EZ FHASH from an USB as usualy. Everithing fine with operation, but after restart no post(usually), power off/ power on(usually boot normally) but this time no post, nothing. I must say that i've tryed almost all mbioses and neither one didn't do me problems like this 901. 1004, 1104, 1306, 1307, 703.
Next what i did:
remove the power source/push the power buton on to discarge/remove bios battery/set clear cmos/ wait a minute/put the bathery back/cmos normally/ power on but no post, nothing.
I've tryed this more three times, no post:shrug:, i've remove the cpu, memory,VGA nothing. What should i'll do ?:confused:
I've not do right the cmos reset ? What could be wrong ?
I need some help please !!!:(

Ket
10-03-2008, 04:10 AM
Sorry folks something is indeed up with the files I flashed the Pro version to my board based on Dees results to troubleshoot the issue and you guessed it.. no POST. I've submitted an RMA with the place I bought it from. In my case perhaps its not a bad thing though, occasionally I was getting the CPU fan error message pop up on POST, so looks like the CPU fan sensor was starting to go out already :eek:

We have learned something though, the massive epic fail of the supposed "crashfree BIOS 3" procedures. I started in baby steps to find what was causing the issues Dee was having so the first thing I did was keep everything as-is and just rename a few things. A very minor adjustment, which means the boot block was completely unchanged. So to not even get the BB coming up after the flash.. well thats not something I did its something asus did wrong. :shakes: for asus, and :( from me to all those who suffered the same fate as I have.

xdan
10-03-2008, 04:38 AM
So, the only solution is the service ?:confused:
crashfree BIOS 3" procedures- from what i know bios on P5Q-PRO is dual bios, this don't mean that an bios remain unchanged even when flashing to a new bios ? Or, i'm getting this wrong ?
The only problem(i wonder if it) is that i mounted a fan on NB heatsink and i left two marks into the lamels, from the screw. There are not vizible imediately, but on service it might be vizible, and they can say "i applied a force on NB chipset" because i have done something on NB heatsink"
and i'm wory to not lose the garancy !!!
Anyway next week i would go to service.
One more time Ket, i know that it's not your fault it's Asus stupids fault.
All mbioses except this 901 worked without even a clear cmos.:up:

truehighroller
10-03-2008, 05:54 AM
Have you guys switched to your backup chips? The chip you flashed might be screwed but, the other should still be fine..

carepolice
10-03-2008, 06:21 AM
i Will try when i imagine wich is the main chip

carepolice
10-03-2008, 06:31 AM
WOAH HIGHROLLER you saved my day, i was :( whole day on job when i thinked about RMAING my board! SO IT WORKS AGAIN !!!! :D

I CHANGED TO BACKUP BIOS CHIP AND WORKS 100% NOW.

XDAN! I got just samekind of problem that you have, but well now it works :)

I got itty bitty feeling about staying on unmodded bioses now, No hard feelings ket!

SPiTFiREgr
10-03-2008, 06:41 AM
I wasn't able to POST also with the pre-CPU M-E bios on my P5Q PRO. And this is 99% because of memory support. I had to switch to some other RAM to POST and reflash the BIOS back to 1307 so i can use my OCZ memory..

truehighroller
10-03-2008, 06:43 AM
Just use one of his other ones they are better then the Asus ones. He just slipped on this one no biggie. You can get new BIOS chips sent to you for twenty bones up front then send the bad / switched ones back and get that money back FYI. I have done it with this board. :up: :welcome:

CryptiK
10-03-2008, 06:44 AM
You guys can just order a new BIOS chip from asus, plug it in place of the broken one, and you'll be where you were at before the bad flash. The other mod BIOSES are fine, it was just the renaming of things that caused the problems.

xdan
10-03-2008, 07:55 AM
WOAH HIGHROLLER you saved my day, i was whole day on job when i thinked about RMAING my board! SO IT WORKS AGAIN !!!!
I CHANGED TO BACKUP BIOS CHIP AND WORKS 100% NOW.Have you guys switched to your backup chips? The chip you flashed might be screwed but, the other should still be fine..

And how do i do this guys?
Horry if i'm not understanding but I'm not so good at "tech" part.
I mean , i can install all hardware components, but i don't no anytihing about what you say. Please , help me and explain !:yepp:

carepolice
10-03-2008, 08:07 AM
Okey ill try explain it as simple that i can !

Hmm first of all you need to know where those little bastards are!

On my P5Q-E motherboard is reset and power switch on the board (so i belive that pro version got it too ?!). These little fellas are near of them! two little black boxes that you can pull out by using your fingers.

Then you need just exhange those boxes positions like: 1-2(default) -> 2-1(after you have done this trick) Simple!

B.E.E.F.
10-03-2008, 08:13 AM
There's a backup BIOS chip built in?

truehighroller
10-03-2008, 08:19 AM
Yes. It is another whole seperate chip. You pull out the bad one stick in the backup one and vuala, problem solved. You don't have to leave the bad one in either you can run with just the good one still standing in by itself it won't hurt anything.

xdan
10-03-2008, 08:22 AM
By reset and power switch you mean the sistem panel header?, or you have power and reset butons on P5Q-E. It might help a picture because in the area are plenty of little boxes:up:

Ket
10-03-2008, 08:27 AM
I wish my P5Q Pro had a backup BIOS chip :fight: On the plus side sending the board back to the etailer means I'll get a P5Q Pro with the new rev. NB, which should mean the board won't fail to POST when NB voltage is ste to 1.7v or above. With any luck the dividers when using the 400 strap will work properly on the new rev. board as well :D

truehighroller
10-03-2008, 08:36 AM
Yeah mine won't post or acts funny when above 1.4v.... It might not be seated well "the heatsink on it". I haven't botheed looking yet.

xdan
10-03-2008, 08:41 AM
So from what i understand it's hoppless with P5Q-PRO, i don't have backup bios ?

CryptiK
10-03-2008, 08:45 AM
I wish my P5Q Pro had a backup BIOS chip :fight: On the plus side sending the board back to the etailer means I'll get a P5Q Pro with the new rev. NB, which should mean the board won't fail to POST when NB voltage is ste to 1.7v or above. With any luck the dividers when using the 400 strap will work properly on the new rev. board as well :D

Do you mean the A3 revision as opposed to the A2 or something else? Here's hoping your new board is better than the old problematic one. Killing it was probably a blessing in disguise.

Ket
10-03-2008, 08:59 AM
Yep I'm hoping for an A3, perhaps even an A4 if asus have made further revisions. I know killing my board was a blessing in disguise. I have concluded the following issues on the A2 rev. are probably not BIOS related;

- 400 strap not working with any memory frequency set apart from auto
- absolutely :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana: PCI-E OCing. (102MHz = KO)
- LAN dodgyness (so I hear)
- 1.7v+ NB no POST issue

on top of that;

- CPU fan sensor appears to of started going a bit iffy
- with 901 BIOS I was testing it started taking ages to pass the first POST screen, like it was having a bit of trouble detecting my SATA HDD :\

Seriously considering hitting the DFI P45 board up, can grab it for about £95 and it seems like a lot of issues it was having are resolved.

xdan
10-03-2008, 09:16 AM
So from what i understand it's hoppless with P5Q-PRO, i don't have backup bios ?
So what about my question, the answer is yes, no ?:confused:
Also my opinion that this MB P5Q-PRO it's a crap at it's money:yepp:, a few 30-35E moore and i've could bought an TPOWER IP45 , but two monts ago i didn't found it in Romania, it appeared only two weeks ago. Unfortunately the shop where i bought the Asus doesn't deal with Biostars, so i can't do directly an upgrade.:mad:
And also two month ago i didn't know that TPOWER IP45 is such a good motheboard. :yepp:
http://www.rahulsjohari.com/Repository/protest.jpg
I hope that Asus see this.

chuSS
10-03-2008, 10:34 AM
Ket:
I'm flashe "p5q 1307m.rom" from archive "P5Q mBIOSes v2.rar" for my P5Q mobo, but the board has ceased to function.
Clear CMOS and removing battery for some time not return functionality! :D
Helped only reflasing contents chips on a stationary programmer.

Dee
10-03-2008, 10:53 AM
Backup BIOS was one of the main reasons I chose the P5Q-E. Too many problems with past boards, now I will never penny pinch again when it comes to motherboards!

Ket
10-03-2008, 10:56 AM
I have never done any penny pinching. I picked the P5Q Pro up as on paper its an awsome board, just doesn't quite carry through in practicality unfortunately. Of course, a majority of the issues the P5Q Pro has could be down to the P45 not particularly being geared for 65nm CPUs, just 45nm. I'll be picking a EEPROM programmer up soon anyway, real handy bit of kit to be able to just whack it in a USB port and program a ROM chip with any BIOS you need.

Ket
10-03-2008, 10:58 AM
Ket:
I'm flashe "p5q 1307m.rom" from archive "P5Q mBIOSes v2.rar" for my P5Q mobo, but the board has ceased to function.
Clear CMOS and removing battery for some time not return functionality! :D
Helped only reflasing contents chips on a stationary programmer.

Come again? Not quite sure I fully understand what your trying to say.

Dee
10-03-2008, 11:27 AM
I have never done any penny pinching.

Not saying you did bro. Just speaking for myself. I'm happy to pay a little more for certain features, especially ones that save your ass when the BIOS gets KO'd.

samsonJS
10-03-2008, 11:39 AM
Yup. Last night while I was OCing the BIOS got fubared and my p5q-e just booted EZ Flash in recovery mode, flashed the stock 0610 BIOS and I was ready to go. Way better than the dual BIOS stuff Gigabyte has on my old 7NNXP.

xdan
10-03-2008, 11:40 AM
This feature with dual bios chip is named "DIEHARD BIOS"

DieHard BIOS
BIOS Never Die
The ASUS Diehard BIOS consists of two BIOS chips, a main BIOS and a backup BIOS. The ASUS Diehard BIOS can restore corrupted main BIOS data from the backup BIOS automatically. The technology saves users the hassle of recovering the BIOS file or buying a replacement BIOS chip.
Dee, it isn't all about the money :yepp:. This feature is only from what i verffied built on P5Q-E, P5Q-DELUXE and P5Q3-DELUXE.
The more expensive models like P5Q-PREMIUM, P5Q-WS, MAXIMUS II FORMULA(i check only for P45) don't even have this, even though that there are worth much moore money. This it's all ASUS's fool ideea. In my opinion this feature "DIE HARD" shouhld have been applied to P45 series from P5Q-PRO to the top MAXIMUS II FORMULA not to a few models "here" and "there".
P5Q-PRO is not a cheap MB at least to it's price. :down:
The conclusion it's that Asus are stupids, fools company.:down:

Ket
10-03-2008, 11:44 AM
Not saying you did bro. Just speaking for myself. I'm happy to pay a little more for certain features, especially ones that save your ass when the BIOS gets KO'd.

Never said you were ;) Just saying I don't penny pinch on mainboards. Its the soul of the system after all. Much easier to upgrade the CPU, memory etc when needed than it is a mobo. I'll be ordering a EEPROM\DIL etc programmer in a few mins anyway. Be able to revive my AW9D-Max with the programmer so shes good to go :D

xdan
10-03-2008, 12:00 PM
I'll be ordering a EEPROM\DIL etc programmer
Ket, this is a software, or something hardware?

Pntgrd
10-03-2008, 12:01 PM

Dee, it isn't all about the money :yepp:. This feature is only from what i verffied built on P5Q-E, P5Q-DELUXE and P5Q3-DELUXE.
The more expensive models like P5Q-PREMIUM, P5Q-WS, MAXIMUS II FORMULA(i check only for P45) don't even have this, even though that there are worth much money. This it's all ASUS's fool ideeas. In my opinion this feature "DIE HARD" shouhld have been applied to P45 series from P5Q-PRO to the top MAXIMUS II FORMULA not to a few models "here" and "there".
The conclusion it's that Asus are stupids, fools company.:down:Asus even went one better on The Rampage Extreme. Jumpers to manually set which of two bios's to boot from.

Ket
10-03-2008, 12:08 PM
Ket, this is a software, or something hardware?

If your talking about the BIOS of a mainboard, thats software. BIOS = Basic Input Output System.

xdan
10-03-2008, 12:10 PM
Yes, but what price has Rampage... hmmm. 3X P5Q-PRO and 2.5X P5Q-E
:up:
Rampage is even chasee very closely by Biostar TPOWER which is half and a little more cheap than Rampage Extreme.
So, don't praise Asus anymore.:up:

f your talking about the BIOS of a mainboard, thats software. BIOS = Basic Input Output System.
I asqued about this EEPROM\DIL etc programmer you talked about .

Lukeatluka
10-03-2008, 12:30 PM
So, can i boot pass 1150Mhz with mBios for P5Q-e or not.I love my board.
And if i read enough i can normaly flash back to asus rev. bios, right?

Ow, i need to tell you Ket...You're awesome :)

Ket
10-03-2008, 12:45 PM
Yes, but what price has Rampage... hmmm. 3X P5Q-PRO and 2.5X P5Q-E
:up:
Rampage is even chasee very closely by Biostar TPOWER which is half and a little more cheap than Rampage Extreme.
So, don't praise Asus anymore.:up:

I asqued about this EEPROM\DIL etc programmer you talked about .

The EEPROM\DIL etc programmer is software and hardware. Linky (http://www.virtualvillage.co.uk/items/item.aspx?itemid=4770755&utm_source=baseuk&utm_medium=shopping&CAWELAID=230751477)

So, can i boot pass 1150Mhz with mBios for P5Q-e or not.I love my board.
And if i read enough i can normaly flash back to asus rev. bios, right?

Ow, i need to tell you Ket...You're awesome :)

How far your memory can be pushed is not entirely BIOS dependent. All I can say is from my experiences with mBIOS 703 (704 for you) I had the greatest results for memory clocking, able to POST at 1300MHz. My ICs are Micron D9 GKX though.

Lukeatluka
10-03-2008, 12:54 PM
Can you give me a link to download side.Sry to be lazy :(

Can i flash then back to 1306 original asus bios?

Thanks in advance!

Ket
10-03-2008, 12:59 PM
See first page, and yes.

Kai Robinson
10-03-2008, 01:22 PM
I figured out my issue - having the Mem OC Charger, DRAM Static Read Control & DRAM Read Training set to Auto = flaky as all hell - set to DISABLED on the P5Q-Deluxe!

Ket
10-03-2008, 01:34 PM
I might have to try that.. I like 703m on my P5Q Pro but I also like using the most updated BIOS possible... of course I'm willing to sideline that pet peev in order to get the best OC possible :p:

Lukeatluka
10-03-2008, 01:45 PM
I booted at 1166 now, but i think this is not my maximum.I didn't test stability, just hit fsb, 5:8 and 2.2V on 5-5-5-18.On more than 1166 didn't boot.Like it didn't on 1306 asus higher than 1148 :(

Fitseries3
10-03-2008, 01:56 PM
The pack contains modded BIOS files for all P5Q series boards using code before asus added CPU Margin Enhancement.

ALL P5Q series boards huh? but not the P5Q3 DLX that you keep shunning away from.

not being mean here but i know of several people that have made the request for the p5q3 bios to be modded. it would be great to see it happen.

Ket
10-03-2008, 01:57 PM
1166 is not anything to sniff at. Without knowing whay memory you have its tough to give a ballpark max. OC, but it sounds like you have average kind of memory, and its doing very, very well all things considered :toast:

Ket
10-03-2008, 01:59 PM
ALL P5Q series boards huh? but not the P5Q3 DLX that you keep shunning away from.

not being mean here but i know of several people that have made the request for the p5q3 bios to be modded. it would be great to see it happen.

I don't shun away from it, I just can't be bothered to mod BIOS code for that as well. Besides, people know when I say for all P5Q series boards I mean DDR2 versions. If the archive was for DDR3 versions it would say for all P5Q3 series :p:

Lukeatluka
10-03-2008, 02:01 PM
I have Teamgroup pc 6400 extreem dark cl4 x2GB kit.I know it's awesome to have 2x2GB on 1166, but i think this is not all they can do.

Ket
10-03-2008, 02:35 PM
Depends on the voltage. If your at 2.2v I doublt higher voltages will yeild results much better than that.

Dee
10-03-2008, 04:39 PM
Never said you were ;)

OK, a little misunderstanding. I still love you Ket. ;)

nigelke
10-04-2008, 01:15 AM
Ket,
i have a quick qeustion for you :)
I own a P5Q deluxe and having problems whit the normal bios'es. Like i cannot change anything because i always have to clear cmos. It won't boot after changing like a voltage,fsb..

Sow i was hoping that a bios of you could help me out. but are they 100% safe? like i don't want to kill my mobo :D

Dee
10-04-2008, 03:25 AM
They are safe except for the latest ones, which I believe he took down.

nigelke
10-04-2008, 03:38 AM
ah good to hear :)
this is going to be a litle job for next week i think :-)

Dee
10-04-2008, 03:53 AM
In my case perhaps its not a bad thing though, occasionally I was getting the CPU fan error message pop up on POST, so looks like the CPU fan sensor was starting to go out already :eek:

Ket, I get the "CPU Fan Error" message all the time using BIOS 1402. My CPU fan is on PWM mode and Q-Fan is enabled in BIOS (set to Turbo). Do you think it's something to do with a flaky CPU fan sensor or something else? It only seems to happen with certain BIOS and with Q-Fan enabled. If I flashed back to 1306 the problem would probably disappear. Only thing is now I'm getting tired of all the BIOS flashing, I don't think it's healthy to keep doing it.

Ket
10-04-2008, 04:46 AM
I had the CPU Fan Error coming up from time to time with Q-Fan disabled, so I think its an iffy fan sensor.

CryptiK
10-04-2008, 05:11 AM
Uh-oh.. Cryptik.. its one of "those" people :p:

lol, guilty :p:

The more expensive models like P5Q-PREMIUM, P5Q-WS, MAXIMUS II FORMULA(i check only for P45) don't even have this, even though that there are worth much moore money. This it's all ASUS's fool ideea. In my opinion this feature "DIE HARD" shouhld have been applied to P45 series from P5Q-PRO to the top MAXIMUS II FORMULA not to a few models "here" and "there".
The conclusion it's that Asus are stupids, fools company.:down:

Asus even went one better on The Rampage Extreme. Jumpers to manually set which of two bios's to boot from.

The Maximus II Formula has 2 removable bios chips, and also has the jumper which allows you to choose which chip to boot from. It's a nice feature. They just call it Bios flashback rather than diehard bios.

Vektor67
10-04-2008, 06:42 AM
I started investigating why the P5Q-E mBIOS was so flaky by using the P5Q Pro version on my board, I started with just a couple name changes and went with that, then POW, no POST. So I'd say its pretty safe to say these AMI BIOS files don't like having things renamed, regardless of how harmless renaming an item is. That said though my board was acting up very slightly by taking ages to POST before the flash. All the usual has been done, full CMOS reset, swapped RAM with various other kits etc, nada. So to be on the safe side I'm yanking the last set of mBIOSes.

Their further modified, but theres some very weird issues, so DONT use those files.

Whew! Thanks, for once I'm glad that I missed one of your revisions as up until now I've faithfully flashed each since 1306m, 1402m was great for me and 1403m was even better. I wasn't following the thread as closely as I could and I was wondering what you guys were talking about regarding the renaming issue as I was 99.9% certain all my sections still retained the same
names. I get it now. It's a good feeling having the backup bios on this board
I feel fairly safe flashing with impunity. I look forward to the next update. Thanks for all of your good works.:up: Lord knows were I relying on Asus I'd still be unable to use the built in flashing utility with my NTFS partitions being stuck on 1306.:down:

Ket
10-04-2008, 07:03 AM
I wish asus would hurry the hell up and get a 1403 out for the P5Q Pro, its not a tough thing to do. If I knew what asus were doing in those 14xx revs. I would make the changes myself. Kinda crazy to think that lil me all by myself has released more BIOS revisions than asus themselves have, and their better than what asus can do to boot :D

truehighroller
10-04-2008, 08:14 AM
My fan sensor was bad on my last P5Q Deluxe that I sent back. This one seems to be a good one for sensors. The engineer said that we need to set the margin enhancement option to performance for our 9450s but, he is still getting issues at the same time so,, not to stable IMO. I could have sworn that I set mine to that and I still had the issue. Maybe not , maybe I'm getting old and forgeting things. :shrug:

Ket
10-04-2008, 08:47 AM
I doubt that m8 ;) engineers have an uncanny ability to spout utter BS.

truehighroller
10-04-2008, 10:19 AM
True,, not matter what he says works he still said that he was still getting issues with it set to performance, with seeing hard drive in Windows and shut down issues so.. Apparently someone, not saying who was working on a bios version with the option taken out yesterday. I'm still possitive we will see the option removed if they can't get it to play nice.

samsonJS
10-04-2008, 10:26 AM
I haven't noticed a difference with or without cpu margin enhancement on my q9450. And to be honest my OC is basically the same with 0704 and 1402. The biggest difference is 0704 only reads fat32 and 1402 reads ntfs as well, but misses my usb stick so one BIOS only reads flash memory and the other only reads my disk. heh.

----

I figured out my issue - having the Mem OC Charger, DRAM Static Read Control & DRAM Read Training set to Auto = flaky as all hell - set to DISABLED on the P5Q-Deluxe!

I disable those too, except for the OC charger which really helps my p5q-e push my mushkin ascents further.

Ket
10-04-2008, 10:42 AM
True,, not matter what he says works he still said that he was still getting issues with it set to performance, with seeing hard drive in Windows and shut down issues so.. Apparently someone, not saying who was working on a bios version with the option taken out yesterday. I'm still possitive we will see the option removed if they can't get it to play nice.

Yeah I'm glad the english speaking techs at asus at least are listening. If anything I would say that English>Taiwan language barrier is the biggest holdup :p:

truehighroller
10-04-2008, 10:46 AM
True and at the guy that is fine right now, just give it time you will have the issue once it burns your stuff out. Mine was fine to for awhile and other people were fine for awhile as well that are now in same boat as me.

Ket
10-04-2008, 03:35 PM
I'll back that up, my system with my E4400 started to act a bit iffy so I rolled back. CPU M-E effects any C2D\Q it seems.

ghost_recon88
10-04-2008, 06:34 PM
So the 703m BIOS is buggy and causes your board to die? What about 901m? Is 1306m the best one? I currently have the Asus 1306 on my board, but I'm gonna flash it to 1307m assuming the 703m and 901m BIOS are flawed.

Vektor67
10-04-2008, 07:39 PM
My fan sensor was bad on my last P5Q Deluxe that I sent back. This one seems to be a good one for sensors. The engineer said that we need to set the margin enhancement option to performance for our 9450s but, he is still getting issues at the same time so,, not to stable IMO. I could have sworn that I set mine to that and I still had the issue. Maybe not , maybe I'm getting old and forgeting things. :shrug:

I'm not 100% certain my fan sensors are working correctly, how did you determine your sensor was bad? what made you notice? the RPM's ?

truehighroller
10-04-2008, 08:27 PM
I just noticed the rpm in the BIOS dropping off and kicking way back up. but, the fan was staying at one speed.

Vektor67
10-04-2008, 08:34 PM
I just noticed the rpm in the BIOS dropping off and kicking way back up. but, the fan was staying at one speed.

Oh ok thanks. Mines not doing that. Good luck with the new one! :)

whodie
10-04-2008, 09:40 PM
So any ideas on why I can't find my RAM voltage anywhere?!? lol

AI Suite, pc probe, nor hwmonitor report my RAM voltage :shrug:

When I had a P5Q Dlx it overvolted the RAM by .08, but I can't verify the voltage now on my Pro. :confused:

Great work on the BIOS Ket, it's top notch. Finally got my 16FD3's stable past 1100mhz

Don_Dan
10-05-2008, 01:35 AM
So any ideas on why I can't find my RAM voltage anywhere?!? lol

AI Suite, pc probe, nor hwmonitor report my RAM voltage :shrug:

I would like to know that myself, yesterday I was testing some RAM on my mate's P5Q PRO with Asus 1306 BIOS, but then I noticed that I couldn't find the DRAM voltage anywhere, not in the Asus software and not in Everest Ultimate. Does anyone know a way to get a voltage readout?

Ket
10-05-2008, 04:45 AM
I don't think the Pro has anything to monitor DRAM voltage. Its the one thing I think is absolutely silly. £100+ for the P5Q Pro and Asus can't put a damn RAM voltage monitor in or use a dual BIOS thing like on the -E.

Dee
10-05-2008, 05:12 AM
There's no vDIMM monitor on the E. It's always bugged me. Had I known this from the start, I would have bought the Deluxe.

Big Lar
10-05-2008, 05:21 AM

My board has done some odd things since day 1 with the cpu fan header. It reads in bios/everest at times as twice the speed for a second, then back to normal. I thought it was a software glitch?

Larry

Ket
10-05-2008, 05:26 AM
There's no vDIMM monitor on the E. It's always bugged me. Had I known this from the start, I would have bought the Deluxe.

I thought the -E had a DRAM voltage monitor? I could swear I saw it listed in the BIOS :confused: Its silly things like this that make me wonder about Asus. I mean why leave such minor things like that off? People would happily pay an extra £10 for the board to get a DRAM voltage monitor and a backup BIOS. As somebody said, from the Pro onward backup BIOS chip and vDIMM monitor should be standard. Even "cheap" Asus boards are usually £20 more than a competitors.

MonsterDK
10-05-2008, 08:40 AM
Hi,

After seeing this thread and not been overly knowledgeable to make an informed decission over what has been put on this huge thread :) I wanted some advice if this is possible please.
Hope it is ok to post this....
http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20081005220815671&board_id=1&model=P5Q+Deluxe&page=1&SLanguage=en-us
My problem as explained there is really getting on my nerves now, I have tried pretty much all I can think of and wasted money as I go.

Since I appear to be stuck on Bios 610 to keep stable, would these BIOS here, be any use to me to sort the problem?

Any help desperately seeked... thanks in advanced.

truehighroller
10-05-2008, 08:42 AM
What CPU do you have?

Vektor67
10-05-2008, 08:52 AM
I may have spoken too soon, I just launched probeII for kicks and I'm getting voltage warnings. My +3 v is @ 3.34 and the bottom just dropped out of my Vcore(flashing red) perhaps it's just that Vcore is set to warn if it drops below 1. I think I may roll back to 1402 when I have time.

Ket
10-05-2008, 08:53 AM
RMA the board. Preferably to the place you bought it from not Asus.

Pants-Of-Fire
10-05-2008, 08:54 AM
Ket, I just wanted to say thanks, not just for you BIOS work, but for discovering the problem with CPU-ME on later BIOSes. I recently bought a P5Q-Deluxe with a Q9300, and of course the first thing I did was flash the BIOS. I then spent a week fighting the board, and even with extra voltage to the DRAM and NB, the system was still very unstable at stock settings, with crashes, bluescreens, applications falling over, and general crappyness all over. The system behaved like a total lemon, and was even worse at stock voltages.

Now having gone back to 803, the system is totally rock solid, with no crashes or bad behaviour. After a week of major frustration, you've solved my problem and a lot of grief.

It's a pity the 803 runs my RAM a little slower than the later BIOSes, but hopefully we can hassle Asus into fixing this issue and get to use newer BIOSes.

MonsterDK
10-05-2008, 09:07 AM
What CPU do you have?

Q6600 (G0)

truehighroller
10-05-2008, 09:10 AM
Have you tried 0803 Revision BIOS? What are your specs period?What BIOS settings are you using? I think you should post in the P5Q Deluxe thread as well. I would try KET's Modded 0803 though which is here some where in this thread..

MonsterDK
10-05-2008, 09:11 AM
Ket, I just wanted to say thanks, not just for you BIOS work, but for discovering the problem with CPU-ME on later BIOSes. I recently bought a P5Q-Deluxe with a Q9300, and of course the first thing I did was flash the BIOS. I then spent a week fighting the board, and even with extra voltage to the DRAM and NB, the system was still very unstable at stock settings, with crashes, bluescreens, applications falling over, and general crappyness all over. The system behaved like a total lemon, and was even worse at stock voltages.

Now having gone back to 803, the system is totally rock solid, with no crashes or bad behaviour. After a week of major frustration, you've solved my problem and a lot of grief.

It's a pity the 803 runs my RAM a little slower than the later BIOSes, but hopefully we can hassle Asus into fixing this issue and get to use newer BIOSes.

Ket, I'm not sure it is the board. The issues I've had are as Pants-Of-Fire has also outlined above. Applications crashing, BSOD etc etc..

I don't want to RMA a board to end up with the same situation with a replacement. and i've had this board for a while now also. SO they will prob send it off for repair than replace it.

Ket
10-05-2008, 09:12 AM

If you like my work so far, click the link at the bottom of my sig :yepp:

truehighroller
10-05-2008, 09:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pants-Of-Fire

Ket, I'm not sure it is the board. The issues I've had are as outlined above. Applications crashing, BSOD etc etc..

I don't want to RMA a board to end up with the same situation with a replacement. and i've had this board for a while now also. SO they will prob send it off for repair than replace it.

Hey hey hey now, I need credit for this one guys.. :p: All my precious trouble shooting..

Ket
10-05-2008, 09:19 AM
You just found out Quads hated CPU M-E, I found out Duals also hate CPU M-E :p:

truehighroller
10-05-2008, 09:21 AM
:p::p::p: :rofl: Whatever, the funny thing is that no one would listen to me for a minute...

MonsterDK
10-05-2008, 09:33 AM
Have you tried 0803 Revision BIOS? What are your specs period?What BIOS settings are you using? I think you should post in the P5Q Deluxe thread as well. I would try KET's Modded 0803 though which is here some where in this thread..

I will get the updated bios settings and post them up.

Do you think KETS modded 0803 will help ? I'm not sure what the benefits are... as I said not a guru OC'er etc.

Thanks

Pants-Of-Fire
10-05-2008, 09:33 AM
Hey hey hey now, I need credit for this one guys.. :p: All my precious trouble shooting..

Thanks very much to you too! It hasn't escaped my attention that you are hassling someone at Asus to get it sorted (and apparently making progress), and are also having the "nothing above 803" problem that I'm experiencing.

Seriously, I'm sure a lot of people like me have been knocking our heads against a brick wall until we found this thread and the information on flashing back to before CPU-ME was implemented.

The problem is a lot of people (myself included) think we're getting something better with a newer BIOS, so we tend to want to keep messing with the settings to find what it takes to get stable and keep the latest BIOS. No one wants to admit defeat and flash back to the older BIOS, when really it's an unfixable CPU-ME bug that is never going to give a stable system no matter how many timings and voltages I tweak.

whodie
10-05-2008, 09:36 AM
CPU M-E sure does cause havoc on duals, I stupidly switched from "Optimized" to "compatible" and got BSOD's till the cows came home....

Is the 901m BIOS good to go? I saw it was taken down for a bit but now it's back up.

As for RAM voltage, could anyone post a pic of where I need to slap my multimeter to check it?

truehighroller
10-05-2008, 09:36 AM
I will get the updated bios settings and post them up.

Do you think KETS modded 0803 will help ? I'm not sure what the benefits are... as I said not a guru OC'er etc.

Thanks

It might be a big difference for you. I don't think my siznit here is stable 100% TBH. I have had a BSOD already once..

Ket
10-05-2008, 09:37 AM
:p::p::p: :rofl: Whatever, the funny thing is that no one would listen to me for a minute...

Nobody seems to of taken onboard what I said about duals either. Said it in this thread and the P5Q Deluxe thread. I had all sorts of untold instability with any BIOS with CPU M-E, went back to 703 after modding it and everything worked great. High FSB, max CPU clocking and rediculously high memory clocks.

Ket
10-05-2008, 09:40 AM
Ket, I'm not sure it is the board. The issues I've had are as Pants-Of-Fire has also outlined above. Applications crashing, BSOD etc etc..

Your problems are too numerous to blame entirely on the BIOS. Which is why I say RMA the board to the retailer, then give 803m a shot.

jasjeet
10-05-2008, 10:07 AM
hi wonderfull work Ket,
i would just like to know weather you think that by using one of your mbios's would it allow me to OC further with less vcore. Because i have a Q6600 VID 1.325v so therfore it likes a lot of juice. also it seems as if my corsair 2 gb ram 800mhz, doesnt like bein OC'd very much.

which bios version do you recommend and do i flash it the same way as the official bios's.

Im using the P5Q Deluxe mobo, Q6600, 2X1Gb corsair PC6400 800Mhz ram, ATI 4850.

thanks for your help

Ket
10-05-2008, 10:12 AM
Which P5Q Series mobo do you have? Also, as shameless as it may be, if you like my current work and can spare a few bucks click the linky at the bottom of my sig :yepp:

MonsterDK
10-05-2008, 10:21 AM
Your problems are too numerous to blame entirely on the BIOS. Which is why I say RMA the board to the retailer, then give 803m a shot.

ok thanks...

Where on this mass of topic :) is the latest or only version of the 803m for the P5Q-Deluxe? :|

Can the BIOS be flashed using the flasher @ bios level?

Ket
10-05-2008, 10:31 AM
hi wonderfull work Ket,
i would just like to know weather you think that by using one of your mbios's would it allow me to OC further with less vcore. Because i have a Q6600 VID 1.325v so therfore it likes a lot of juice. also it seems as if my corsair 2 gb ram 800mhz, doesnt like bein OC'd very much.

which bios version do you recommend and do i flash it the same way as the official bios's.

Im using the P5Q Deluxe mobo, Q6600, 2X1Gb corsair PC6400 800Mhz ram, ATI 4850.

thanks for your help

803m. It does away with that nasty CPU M-E but enhanced memory compatibility and OCing while supporting additional CPUs due to the custom P6 table.

ok thanks...

Where on this mass of topic :) is the latest or only version of the 803m for the P5Q-Deluxe? :|

Can the BIOS be flashed using the flasher @ bios level?

Check my first post. Its on there. All mBIOSes can be flashed the same way official ones can, through EZFlash, Windows or AFUDOS.

/shameless plug/ If folk can spare a few bucks click the linky at the bottom of my sig :yepp:

jasjeet
10-05-2008, 10:44 AM
sorry man, i would really like to throw you some cash, but im 16, have no job and u know how it is loool. but thank you a lot, i think the P5Q deluxe has the spare bios chip so i can swap over if it messes up right?

also i will be able to flash back to official bios's in the future form a modded bios right?

thank you ever so much for your advice. i ahve to use 1.40vcore to get to 3.2Ghz from 3.1Ghz at 1.34v, and i think rams at fault even at 1:1 near as 800Mhz as possible. 3.40GHz needs 1.48vcore atm.

im going to flash the 803m mbios and see how it goes

BTW is it the last link on your fisrt post, or is it in the P5Q mBIOS pack?

Ket
10-05-2008, 10:50 AM
It'll be the one saying 803m :up:

jasjeet
10-05-2008, 11:02 AM
ok flashed, i just put my old OC settings in to see if im still stable
8X388 3.1GHz, Ram 777mhz 1:1 4-4-4-13, 1.35625vcore, 1.30v fsb term, 1.20v SB and NB, 1.80v ram.

ill run Blend Prime95 for 10 mins on a 5 minute round, then bump up my FSB to see the max for this amount of vcore. hopefully itll stay stable till 3.20ghz, that would be awesome.

*edit: i was stable at my normal OC, upping the FSB to 392X8 for 3.135ghz i recive a rounding error in 4 minutes. its always the same core, i think playing with GTL ref for cores 0 and 2 will help, but up or down is another question lol

however it failed on a large fft test of 1024 length. im going to run the 8k test as well now to make sure its vcore not the ram

whodie
10-05-2008, 11:38 AM
flashed back to 703m and FSB stability has increased, but sacrificed 1100mhz stability on the 16FD3's :rofl:

Granted I am stuck to the 333 strap and without knowing RAM voltage it's like a shot in the dark unless I want to add a 5th set of Tracers to the dead hardware pile :p:

Ket
10-05-2008, 11:45 AM
Thats the only downfall with 703m, memory compatibility isn't quite as good. Get some D9 GKX and you won't care about that though ;) GKX flys on 703m.

jasjeet
10-05-2008, 11:58 AM
ok, small fft test is still running, therefore its a ram problem not vcore. i will loosen timings and try the default ram volts at 1.80v

*edit i was stable once i did the above so i went for 3.2ghz at 400X8 but somehow when i rebooted the bios corrupted. i resotred it from the backup and am now at 0610 i think lool.

the EZ flash is not in the bios, i think i have to do a key combination on boot up. i will flash back to your 0803M bios and see what happens next.

JC316
10-05-2008, 02:48 PM
So, does the latest bios fix any of the FSB issues that some of the P5Q pro users have? I am using your 1104 BIOS that you posted at TPU, but I just now found this one.

Ket
10-05-2008, 03:05 PM
This is the most updated thread. Nowhere near as many n00bs here either :p: What kind of FSB issues are you having JC?

Dee
10-05-2008, 03:37 PM
Thats the only downfall with 703m, memory compatibility isn't quite as good. Get some D9 GKX and you won't care about that though ;) GKX flys on 703m.

:up: GKX flies, period.

http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/5885/evrm9.gif

Ket
10-05-2008, 03:50 PM
You fantastic fanboy! GKX this, GKX that :p: Once my Pro comes back from RMA I'll have to maybe give 1307m another go.. 1300MHz would POST on 703m but not get much further :(

Dee
10-05-2008, 04:31 PM
What voltage did you try?

I set 2.18v in BIOS but did no stability testing for 1300. I have a feeling it wouldn't be anywhere near stable until at least 2.3-ish anyway.

lenix
10-05-2008, 04:39 PM
What would be the best ( or most stable ) bios out there for the P5Q-Pro so far? Or should I stick to the latest official asus release ( 1306 ) ?

Many thanks to Ket for his work :up: but that latest p5q pro bios is scary :P i'm glad i didn't try it

I'm running a Q9550 atm.

Ket
10-05-2008, 04:40 PM
I was using 2.2v I think, so even if 1300 isn't stable 1250ish should be.

Ket
10-05-2008, 04:41 PM
What would be the best ( or most stable ) bios out there for the P5Q-Pro so far? Or should I stick to the latest official asus release ( 1306 ) ?

Many thanks to Ket for his work :up: but that latest p5q pro bios is scary :P i'm glad i didn't try it

I'm running a Q9550 atm.

703m I had a lot of success with, 1307m might be worth a try as well.

whodie
10-05-2008, 07:06 PM
I dropped tRFC and tRD just to see if there was any hope and I was able to get them stable again at 550mhz. I'll have to see if I can tighten them up, but I'm happy none the less (tRFC 55, tRD 10)

Unfortunately, bandwidth at these settings is pretty sad
http://www.overclock.net/gallery/data/500/band.jpg

Vektor67
10-05-2008, 08:14 PM
I definitely spoke too soon, it's strange because for many days my machine was fine but then after reading that 1403M was having problems and particularly the thread recommending that it be pulled, it was shortly after that, that I noticed Voltage fluctuations (this was all from Asus Probe II) First warning was that my +3 was to high, next was that my CPU Voltage too low. This evening when I got home from work I was met with a dire warning from probe that my cpu temp was 113c!!:eek: needless to say I panicked and shut it down immediately.
(Now I wish I had looked a bit more carefully) Anyhow I flashed back to the stock 1402 for a minute just to get my bearings, my temps and voltages appear fine.
I'm not convinced it was the 1403m bios but it does seem likely. It's also possible I'm having mobo troubles :( time will tell I guess

Ket
10-06-2008, 04:57 AM
The V2 1403m I pulled days ago, the first 1403m I done should be fine, you would be the first to say your having issues. As I said earlier in the thread though, once you find a good BIOS where everything plays nice and clocks well, theres no ned to upset it ;)

truehighroller
10-06-2008, 06:57 AM
Here are a couple of presents,

1: http://rapidshare.com/files/151449360/P5Q-ASUS-DELUXE-1406.rar.html

2: http://rapidshare.com/files/151450217/P5Q-E-ASUS-1406.rar.html

I don't know what's up with these but, good luck :p: I asked him if it was in there still and he said yes. :shrug: Oh well give it a try those who dare.. lol.

Big Lar
10-06-2008, 07:06 AM
Interesting... Are you gonna be the Tester? :D

Larry

Ket
10-06-2008, 07:11 AM
No P5Q Pro? Bad Asus. Very very very bad Asus :shakes: