PDA

View Full Version : trying to overclock my cousin MacBook Pro

Mk
08-28-2008, 02:28 AM
It dos have windows XP installed so i think set_fsb will work but will it save the settings?
should i lap the CPU and apply a good thermal past or its not even worth it?
when i try to stress test the CPU (stock) the temp some times reach 80-85:(:down:

well i'm trying to tell my cousin it a an impossible job to get a 24/7 overclock out of it but he just don't listen:shakes:

dM@n
08-28-2008, 04:29 AM
I'm not sure about Set_FSB working, but I am certain that you shouldn't lap your CPU :p

Notebook CPUs sometimes don't have an IHS, so you'll probably kill it from lapping. Applying better thermal paste is fine though.

Personally, I think 80-85C is normal on notebooks, because of the small heatsink and such.

TRF-Inferno
08-28-2008, 09:28 AM
You really need convince your cousin not to overclock the MBP. I'm not sure if SetFSB works, but some things to consider:

-The MBP has a very poor heat dissipation system. Most of the components such as the CPU and GPU are already running at 80-90C, which is actually really high for a laptop. An average Core 2 Duo notebook shouldn't have CPU temperatures over 80C.

-Unlike other notebooks, every component on the MBP is integrated. The CPU and GPU are all integrated on the mainboard, so if you kill one of them from excessive heat, the whole logic board will need to be replaced. Look at websites that sells Apple parts like ifixit.com and you can find out how expensive it can be to replace.

I've yet to see a Core mobile processor have an IHS on them, so no, you can't lap it.

Riggs
08-28-2008, 10:37 AM
It doesnt seem like it would be worth it anyways. Laptops dont seem to overclock well lol...

Bobsama
08-28-2008, 05:52 PM
With proper cooling, they typically overclock well. The difference is there's no reason to--they're already overflowing with power few people need. Even if it gives you a boost--it also keeps you connected to a wall. And as was stated--it already has poor cooling, so don't stress it like that.

drizzt5
09-20-2008, 06:43 PM
Even if it gives you a boost--it also keeps you connected to a wall. And as was stated--it already has poor cooling, so don't stress it like that.
True that. I wouldn't bother doing it, chances are your just going to end up breaking it/not really get any benefit from it. Laptops are meant to be mobile, and OC'ing it is just going to cause it to eat up more juice and then you will have fun with your 10 mins of battery life if you don't end up frying it.