PDA

View Full Version : I have access to a CNC....

Shlomo
08-27-2008, 06:00 PM
First block inventored, gettin' mah feet wet. I'll have a few more designs up later of either my own doing or more of Evil's

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u203/BSShlomo/EvilBlock1-1.jpg

twwen2
08-27-2008, 06:04 PM
Lots of people here would kill for a CNC machine.:p:

Just wait, i'm sure there will be many requests before long!;)

WhiteFireDragon
08-27-2008, 06:06 PM
yes, i would kill for a CNC machine. have so many ideas but no tools to make the custom parts.

whe3ls
08-27-2008, 06:07 PM
im sure youll be gettng alot of requests. so what format do you what us to send them to you in. lol

hotdun
08-27-2008, 06:09 PM
You and evil need to get together.... Check out his thread (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=199304).

twwen2
08-27-2008, 06:11 PM
You and evil need to get together.... Check out his thread (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=199304).

Actually yes, very good point. I'm reserving the first runs for evil, he's gonna make a PWM block for me DFI, aren't you evil ;).

Xilikon
08-27-2008, 06:14 PM
yes, i would kill for a CNC machine. have so many ideas but no tools to make the custom parts.

And I'm killing myself since I had access to one during my airplane machinist classes era. Too bad it's 15 years too early :ROTF:

Since you are starting, I guess something simple but very useful is a good start. Also, try to see if you can have a good project to pratice your skills and if yes, pick a project of building a good wc block.

fart_plume
08-27-2008, 06:22 PM
If I were you I'd pick your favorite wc cpu block and duplicate it in silver for yourself, then if you have time do projects for others..................

HDCHOPPER
08-27-2008, 06:36 PM
ya a 4 nipple water block ! outta copper :)

Shlomo
08-27-2008, 07:02 PM
Lol I'm pretty sure I can set it up to run off of Autodesk Inventor (my personal favorite) or Autodesk CAD. I have both programs on my PC currently so if you send over any stuff you have made up i'll try and get the materials for it and make it. I won't TRULY have access to the machine for probably a couple more weeks from now, but I can start queueing up stuff. I just need a good source of delrin and copper slabs.

I'll ask my teacher about usage of the mill to make sure I can start chewing out copper blocks out of the wazzooo. I'm not sure how much he'll like me using it for other peoples designs.

Personally I was just thinking of building a simple diamond pin matrix NB block to start with. Just need a copper base and a delrin top, no midplate required for that project.

philbrown23
08-27-2008, 07:15 PM
I may just have to kill for a cnc ;) I would go to town on some cpu waterblocks just to try.

evil-98
08-27-2008, 07:18 PM
Actually yes, very good point. I'm reserving the first runs for evil, he's gonna make a PWM block for me DFI, aren't you evil ;).

why yes, yes i would

Herc130
08-27-2008, 07:20 PM
I am envious of you. I have access to a metal shop (not machine shop), but it's not very well geared and all there is are brakes, shears (talking big table ones), pipe benders, various drill presses, band saws and grinders... as well as a bunch of different hand tools.

How about design a motherboard copper block specific to your mobo or one you want, that will run water through NB, SB and chipsets...all on one continuos block. Have the inlet start off on the mosfet, flow around through the NB till it gets to the SB where the outlet is. I wanted to try this myself, but don't think it will come out very well with the tooling I have access to. Not tomention I am not very proficient at using them anyway lol. Would of course need a fairly large copper slab.

Shlomo
08-27-2008, 07:21 PM
why yes, yes i would

Well after viewing those blocks it'd be a real shame if I couldn't mill out at the very least 10 or so blocks off of your designs in the next 8 months. I might be able to sneak in and use it for a couple of hours before/after school. We'll see. Nothing is set in stone until I get the go ahead from my engineering teacher.

evil-98
08-27-2008, 07:24 PM
Well after viewing those blocks it'd be a real shame if I couldn't mill out at the very least 10 or so blocks off of your designs in the next 8 months. I might be able to sneak in and use it for a couple of hours before/after school. We'll see. Nothing is set in stone until I get the go ahead from my engineering teacher.

sounds good to me :up:

looking forward to see what you could put out :up:

hotdun
08-27-2008, 08:07 PM
sounds good to me :up:

looking forward to see what you could put out :up:

Looks to me like "evil's dream world" might come true. I'm looking forward to this....:up:

Shlomo
08-27-2008, 08:14 PM
Hold on to your britches folks, we're a couple of weeks out still. Gives me enough time to come up with a few designs...

mpower1001
08-27-2008, 08:42 PM
I wonder what evil's face looked like when he saw this post :shock2:

twwen2
08-27-2008, 09:02 PM
I really hope you can work comething out Shlomo. I'm already suffering from pre-release tension. :D

edit: Actually that sounded really dodgy didn't it...:rofl:

Shlomo
08-28-2008, 01:04 PM
Where can I find a pretty inclusive source of mounting hole dimensions? I have no clue how far apart any p965 NB mounting holes are, and i'm not about to rip out my motherboard to go measure. I also need socket 775, p965 south bridge, and the HD4000 series videocards.

Also as a note, I got the go-ahead from my teacher to let me get basically free reign at the mill whenever i'm not working on stuff so theoretically I could start milling out blocks very soon. So Evil if you want your stuff done up read my PM ;-)

AndrewZorn
08-28-2008, 02:06 PM
I found this earlier today actually, becuase last night I had a vision of designing my own waterblock.
http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=8412&page=5
It's just a thread, but it's been going on for a while apparently.

So surely this find will add me to the queue of guests to the CNC machine?

Shlomo
08-28-2008, 02:58 PM
Noice, I don't know why this information isn't just widely available by manufacturers and intel... it baffles me as to why I have to use google fu skills for 30 minutes or end up asking on the forums to find something as simple as mounting hole dimensions.

Shlomo
08-29-2008, 02:18 PM
Heres one of the blocks Evil and I are currently working together on, so I inventored up all the parts (because we use 08 and hes got 09, had to remake the block off of his dimensions) and this is what was come up with. Just a little teaser before we get into more impressive stuff

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u203/BSShlomo/EvilBlock1-1.jpg

Evil Watercooling, enjoy ;-)

Bobly
08-29-2008, 03:01 PM
If I were you I'd pick your favorite wc cpu block and duplicate it in silver for yourself, then if you have time do projects for others..................

Though if you're gonna make it out of silver at least make a Nehalem one so it lasts longer :P

Shlomo
08-29-2008, 03:56 PM

Man I don't have the money for a 2" x 2" x 1/4" slab of silver lol.

AndrewZorn
08-29-2008, 04:34 PM
Can you use SolidWorks files?

I'm just getting into it again, and holy crap is the liquid simulation cool. It's basically FOR US. It shows vectors where the water will go and its velocity when flowing through a block. I made a really basic one (a cube with spouts) just to see what it was like and it really impressed me. Can't wait to see what a real block modeled in this looks like...

Shlomo
08-29-2008, 05:04 PM
Edit: yeah any block made in inventor can be used in solidworks, it has an import feature, however i'm not sure about my ability to use solidworks assemblies and parts

AndrewZorn
08-29-2008, 05:34 PM
Send me the part/assembly so I can do the flow thing and send it back! It's super-cool!!!

The0men
08-29-2008, 05:47 PM
I Have access to CNC, I work in a model/patternshop lol, we have a HAAS and a KASUGA, theyre only 3 axis,
and I've learnt Powershape and how to make basic toolpaths in Powermill. We are quiet at work to, but mostly
instead of computer parts, I'm flat out making stuff like a jewellry cabinate for my Girlfriend, and various bit and
tools. Really need to make some waterblocks and things though I think.

Shlomo- what do you make your tool paths with? and what kinda CNC you got?

Shlomo
08-29-2008, 06:12 PM
3 axis CNC, unsure of brand, and we use EdgeCAM software for it

I've yet to actually use this mill but the EdgeCAM software seems really intuitive so I doubt it'll take much effort to figure out how to mill a block, especially since EdgeCAM can take a solid file (like inventor files in STEP format) and then come up with a crude milling path from it. I'm sure EdgeCAM would be able to easily figure out how to mill something simple like a waterblock base from just "seeing" the 3D model.

The0men
08-29-2008, 08:34 PM
3 axis CNC, unsure of brand, and we use EdgeCAM software for it

I've yet to actually use this mill but the EdgeCAM software seems really intuitive so I doubt it'll take much effort to figure out how to mill a block, especially since EdgeCAM can take a solid file (like inventor files in STEP format) and then come up with a crude milling path from it. I'm sure EdgeCAM would be able to easily figure out how to mill something simple like a waterblock base from just "seeing" the 3D model.

Nice, I have never used EdgeCAM, but powermill is pretty good like that, you
can just set bounderies and you can run the paths with normally no collision or start and end worries. It's terrific in that we never get a dig in or hole though.

I still havn't crashed anything, just machined the top of a clamping bolt off,
but I though that might happen, so I just slowed down the feed and machined it off no worries lol.

Anyway it's great to see some onle else with an interest in it :)