PDA

View Full Version : Im having a problem ** first time builder **

kraifect
08-27-2008, 01:04 PM
Hey guys, im having a really big problem.

Today all my parts arrived:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
4GB OCZ DDR2 1000 Platinum RAM
500GB Segate HDD
620W Corsair PSU
4870 HD Radeon
Asus P5K Premium
Antec 900 Gamers case

Now the problem comes.

I try putting my quad core in ( it only fits one way into the processor ) and now when I try closing it it doesnt close, in order for it to close I have to apply some force to it, is that normal? When I take it out and close it and lock the little latch it has it locks with no problem but as soon as I put the processor back in I try to close it and it wont shut unless I apply some pressure so the latch can lock.

Please someone help me.
Hopefully the premium can support my quad core? It said it did on newegg.

perkam
08-27-2008, 01:09 PM
P5K is one of the worst mobos for that price and is P35 and thus PCI-E 1.1

P5Q-E is one of the best mobos for the price, is P45 and PCI-E 2.0...also 159.99 on Newegg.

Perkam

dengyong
08-27-2008, 01:13 PM
Hey guys, im having a really big problem.

Today all my parts arrived:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
4GB OCZ DDR2 1000 Platinum RAM
500GB Segate HDD
620W Corsair PSU
4870 HD Radeon
Asus P5K Premium
Antec 900 Gamers case

Now the problem comes.

I try putting my quad core in ( it only fits one way into the processor ) and now when I try closing it it doesnt close, in order for it to close I have to apply some force to it, is that normal? When I take it out and close it and lock the little latch it has it locks with no problem but as soon as I put the processor back in I try to close it and it wont shut unless I apply some pressure so the latch can lock.

Please someone help me.
Hopefully the premium can support my quad core? It said it did on newegg.

Don't worry, nothing is wrong as long as you have the notches on your processor aligned with the socket.
Just push the lever down and lock it.

kraifect
08-27-2008, 01:20 PM
Ok its in, thanks, now im having a problem putting the stock fan and heat sink in but I got it.
Time for ram.

zanzabar
08-27-2008, 01:23 PM
make sure that u dont use the stock paste it will mess up your cpu since it has wax in it and u have to sand it out, or go hardcore with a brush

kraifect
08-27-2008, 02:12 PM
Crap! Your kidding right please tell me? I was wondering what that stuff on my processor was after I took off the heatsink.

Chruschef
08-27-2008, 02:16 PM
that's going to suck, a lot.

kraifect
08-27-2008, 02:18 PM
Why would they put it on there if its bad for it "/ ?

zanzabar
08-27-2008, 02:52 PM
Why would they put it on there if its bad for it "/ ?

if u havnt turned it on ur fine it will come off, if u turned it on it can be a pain,

they use it becouse it keeps it from drying out so they can preapply it, and it keeps people from ocing who dont know what they are doing

for paste get mx-2 or tx-2 if u can (they are the same), if u dont have any or cant get it localy get some as5 from radio shack

kraifect
08-27-2008, 03:38 PM
I havent turned it on yet im still putting everything together ( three hours later :P ).

If I rub it off im not going to have any paste on it at all, And I really want to get it started tonight and radioshack closed.

drtitanium0
08-27-2008, 04:53 PM
Are you planning on overclocking? If not you should be fine. It won't run the coolest but it will run.

kraifect
08-29-2008, 01:23 PM
Im going to overclock in the future

drtitanium0
08-29-2008, 03:45 PM
Im going to overclock in the future
If you want to get a decent overclock you shouldn't ever use the stock heat sink/thermal paste.

kraifect
08-29-2008, 05:43 PM
Well, I never new that "/, I guess its to late now to do anything I really dont want to sand anything out that could cause damage.

zanzabar
08-29-2008, 06:03 PM
If you want to get a decent overclock you shouldn't ever use the stock heat sink/thermal paste.

stock sink is fine its the paste that kills the cpu

drtitanium0
08-29-2008, 06:25 PM
In my opinion it pays off to get a new heat sink too. You are right that the paste is the main thing.

fasttruck860
08-29-2008, 06:38 PM
If you can wait until tomorrow and get a different thermal paste. Use 90% or better rubbing alcohol and clean the surface of cpu and heatsink well. Reapply new paste. Check arctic silvers website for instructions on how to apply paste.

kraifect
08-29-2008, 07:40 PM
Rubbing alchohol wont hurt it right?

zanzabar
08-29-2008, 07:45 PM
it wont hurt it if u keep it off of the pcb, just dampen a paper towl with it, and use 90+%

it wont get the wax out of the imperfections though

ExodusC
08-29-2008, 08:25 PM
That's totally unfounded.

The stock paste is fine, it won't kill your CPU...

anzial
08-29-2008, 08:47 PM
Could someone point in the right direction to find out more about the stock paste? I did make a quick run with stock hsf and stock paste with intention to clean it off later on with rubbing alcohol and a bunch of cotton swabs... are you saying it won't be enough?

fasttruck860
08-29-2008, 09:13 PM
The stock paste is fine if you plan on running your system stock or just a "little overclocked". What they are talking about is the fact that the stock paste has wax in it and once the paste is heated up it melts into the microscopic cavities in the chip and the heatsink. The only way to truly remove this is to sand down the two surfaces, but this will void your warranty. You are not harming the chip, but your now helping it in any way either. Thermal paste fills in the microscopic voids in order to more effieciently transfer heat from the chip to the heatsink. I would say if you ran the system already them you can continue to run it that way until you reach a point where temperature is hampering your overclock. Then buy a better heatsink to lower temps and increase overclock. Rinse and repeat until your up to a phase system.;)

anzial
08-29-2008, 10:22 PM
Thx, so I'll be fine if I clean out the cpu IHS with rubbing alcohol+cotton swabs and swap out the heatsink for something better and apply AS5?

Dragy2k
08-30-2008, 02:49 AM
cant some1 point the poor lad to a good building / overclocking guide !

hollywood
08-30-2008, 04:04 AM
Rubbing alchohol wont hurt it right?

Not at all man. Just get everything together and fucus on getting your PC set up right. Besides that, don't worry about overclocking ANYTHING just yet.

Hang out here on XS and you'll get the idea in no time...

Lev
08-30-2008, 05:13 AM
you dont wanna use cotton, use coffee filters.. and i dont know if that wax stuff is true, probably is, but i had one of my cpus with stock paste for a while and nothing happened to it.

kraifect
08-30-2008, 07:28 AM
I still may be able to remove the paste easily because ive only ran my computer so far for about five minutes max. I havent turned it on for a while cus im waiting for my windows vista CD to arrive. So once I take the paste off the heatsink and CPU then what? Just leave it with no paste?:shrug:

anzial
08-30-2008, 07:49 AM
You use another paste, like AS5 or MX2. Never, ever run cpu w/o any kind of thermal interface material b/n it and HSF, cause it'll have air pockets that will inhibit temp transfer from cpu to HSF

ExodusC
08-30-2008, 08:50 AM
Kraifect, if you've already put on the stock heatsink with the stock paste, don't worry about getting new paste. The stock heatsink for the Q6600 will be sufficient for lesser overclocks, and if you do choose to go further and get an aftermarket heatsink, you can get order some better thermal paste then.

Putting aftermarket thermal paste on the stock heatsink really might not even gain you more than a few degrees...

kraifect
08-30-2008, 11:15 AM
So ok this is what im getting so far.

The stock paste with the stock heatsink is fine right now, it wont hurt it.
But if I plan to overclock and get better degrees switch heatsinks ( Ill probably get a Tuniq Tower ) and apply new thermal paste?

Should I put the new thermal paste over the stock paste or clean the stock off with alch. and then apply it?

Kondik
08-30-2008, 11:36 AM
Clean then apply, never mix compounds, even fresh and old compound of the same grease isn't wise.

ExodusC
08-30-2008, 11:56 AM
The stock paste with the stock heatsink is fine right now, it wont hurt it.
But if I plan to overclock and get better degrees switch heatsinks ( Ill probably get a Tuniq Tower ) and apply new thermal paste?
Yes, that's fine. You can overclock some, I really wouldn't worry about killing your processor, they're incredibly hard to kill...

Should I put the new thermal paste over the stock paste or clean the stock off with alch. and then apply it?
I suggest using some q-tips soaked in alcohol to remove the initial bulk of the thermal paste, then continue this method until none is visible. You can pretty much use paper towels even, just be sure to wipe it off with a no-lint cloth such as a coffee filter or eyeglass cloth to remove the fibers left by whatever you used before. Oh, and higher % alcohol is better. Some will tell you use only 100%, but in my experience, even 70% is fine.

Oh, and when you apply new thermal paste, I would suggest you search for a guide, as there are many methods for various heatsinks that provide the best results.