PDA

View Full Version : NB Block for DFI JR-P45 T2Rs

twwen2
08-27-2008, 05:14 AM
I'm gonna WC this little guy in a SFF case, and i need to know which NB blocks will fit so i can make an informed decision. So far i know that the EK NB/SB 5 universal will fit according to EK's compatability sheet (shown in the pic below on the X48 board), as will the MCW30 (according to evilvision it's a tight fit but will go on).

I can go ahead and grab the EK Universal, but as you can see in the pic below it only covers part of the heatpipe assembly. Is this a problem and will one of the other EK NB block provide better cover? Maybe the EK NB/SB 6 (also pictured below)?

Cheers :)

CrixD
08-27-2008, 07:32 AM
Email Eddy. He would know best :D

CodeNinja
08-27-2008, 08:10 AM
The absolute best way to do it would be to put the EK Universal directly on the northbridge and get seperate coolers for the other items. Right now you are going to have to go through two layers of thermal paste to get to the water block... it'll be better than air, just not optimal.

Praz
08-27-2008, 08:29 AM
The absolute best way to do it would be to put the EK Universal directly on the northbridge and get seperate coolers for the other items. Right now you are going to have to go through two layers of thermal paste to get to the water block... it'll be better than air, just not optimal.
This is the result you have found? I have run the UT X48 DDR2 and DDR3 boards as twwen2 is suggesting using a MCW30 block on the NB heatpipe assembly. Even with Prime at 4500MHz I have nver seen the the PWM nor NB above 38C. Seems like a pretty good solution to me.

http://www.edgeofstability.com/images/48_3/1666r/64/1666r_memtest_64_s.jpg

Waterlogged
08-27-2008, 08:34 AM
twwen2, I'll be watching this thread closely as I'm interested in this board very much. :up:

MasterOfTheReal
08-27-2008, 08:34 AM
Does anyone else run it like this?? On top of the NB heatpipe, cant be ideal and certaintly not as designed I would have thought.

evil-98
08-27-2008, 08:38 AM
sorry i didnt get back to you on that pm twwen2
the ek nb/sb 6 will definitely not fit
the distance between the two center of the holes aligned to the angle of the holes are 61 mm +/- .1

the MCW60 has a mount distance of 60 mm

your best bet will be with the ek NB-SMAX
perfect coverage as the block aligns to the heatpipe assembly and it looks good

also i verify and it fits perfect (i have one)

http://ekwaterblocks.com/shop/images/NB-S-MAX.jpg

edit:

youll need new screws though, id hard mount it for aesthetics

Does anyone else run it like this?? On top of the NB heatpipe, cant be ideal and certaintly not as designed I would have thought.

asus does, gigabyte is starting to, and MSI had a block assembly made by heatkiller that cooled nb, sb, mosfet

Praz
08-27-2008, 08:50 AM
Not ideal? Maybe not in the perfect sense of the word. As designed? That is one of the options DFI had planned for.

NaeKuh
08-27-2008, 09:32 AM
omg tween, yes im mispelling it on purpose because i want to twap you on the back of the head.

:shakes:

This is the result you have found? I have run the UT X48 DDR2 and DDR3 boards as twwen2 is suggesting using a MCW30 block on the NB heatpipe assembly. Even with Prime at 4500MHz I have nver seen the the PWM nor NB above 38C. Seems like a pretty good solution to me.

and what is the delta between that and having a normal fan pointed at your motherboard? Im guessing less then 2-3C at most.

Tween stop trying to copy the monkey's at ASUS. They did this and we all ended up ripping that sink off off and slapping a new cooler.

CodeNinja
08-27-2008, 09:33 AM
This is the result you have found?

To be honest, no. I've not even built a WCed system yet, I'm still running a 3Ghz pre-HT P4 on an i875 board. But it appears to be the case based upon what I've read of other people's results, and a simple understanding thermal transfer properties. TIM isn't transparent to heat, although it is better than nothing. Two layers of TIM isn't optimal for sure. It would be better than air, though, just not as good as putting the the block right on the NB.

evil-98
08-27-2008, 09:39 AM
Tween stop trying to copy the monkey's at ASUS. They did this and we all ended up ripping that sink off off and slapping a new cooler.

we dont have a choose untill i get a mosfet block made :wasntme:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3245009&postcount=80

NaeKuh
08-27-2008, 09:41 AM
we dont have a choose untill i get a mosfet block made :wasntme:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3245009&postcount=80

i swear evil.

one of these days when ash is not looking.

I will get you ban'd. :rofl:

DAYAM i hate your vaporware. Seriously.

And you live local to me, so it makes things a lot worse because if it wasnt i could so easily pick it up from ya.

evil-98
08-27-2008, 09:46 AM
well then it might be a problem because it wont be vapor for that much longer :wasntme:

twwen2
08-27-2008, 05:05 PM

Actually, as has already been stated it was designed by DFI for this precisely. They made it so you can put aftermarket coolers on top, especially the thermalright ones.;)

Thanks for showing up Praz, i appreciate it. Good to see that it works well.:yepp:

sorry i didnt get back to you on that pm twwen2
the ek nb/sb 6 will definitely not fit
the distance between the two center of the holes aligned to the angle of the holes are 61 mm +/- .1

the MCW30 has a mount distance of 60 mm

your best bet will be with the ek NB-SMAX
perfect coverage as the block aligns to the heatpipe assembly and it looks good

also i verify and it fits perfect (i have one)

youll need new screws though, id hard mount it for aesthetics

Thanks heaps evil, that's great news! Just for interest, what did you use to hard-mount it?

and what is the delta between that and having a normal fan pointed at your motherboard? Im guessing less then 2-3C at most.

C'mon, surely it's far better than air? You yourself know how hot the NB can get, especially over 500MHz FSB (which is where i'm aiming). I don't have anything to back me up on this but it's my gut feeling.:rolleyes:

The issue is cooling the PWMs. If i remove the NB cooler base/assembly i'm left with bare mosfets, which makes me squirm. By playing the monkey and putting the block on top, i retain the PWM heatsink. Of course this is only an issue until evil gets his PWM block made. :up:

well then it might be a problem because it wont be vapor for that much longer

Keep me updated, if you actually make them then i'll buy a PWM block for shiz.:cool:

evil-98
08-27-2008, 07:22 PM
Thanks heaps evil, that's great news! Just for interest, what did you use to hard-mount it?

ill measure the size well need and ill let you know what we need

twwen2
08-27-2008, 08:45 PM
Ur a champ evil. :yepp:

I just ordered the board, along with the EK NB-S Max. Both should be here within a week (or two in the case of the block).:up:

Now i sit and wait for the V350 to arrive in this out-of-the-way island :down:

twwen2
08-28-2008, 05:31 AM
Ok this post is for a bloke who PM'ed me asking for pics of the BP swifty adaptors in action. Here they are, it's an MCW60 but the same deal none-the-less:

MomijiTMO
08-28-2008, 05:51 AM
It looks like it's going to topple over lol.