PDA

View Full Version : acer one graphics help

masterg
08-26-2008, 03:33 PM
i just bought a acer aspire one with intel atom 1.6ghz 120gb hdd and 945gse intel integrated video. is there a way to increase the performance of my video "card?" planning to upgrade the 1gb ram soon

WhiteFireDragon
08-26-2008, 03:34 PM
it's integrated, so you won't be able to upgrade. integrated means it's not a separate video card but rather run's from the main motherboard.

TRF-Inferno
08-26-2008, 06:07 PM
No, there's nothing that can be done for the GMA950 in these netbooks. There's no "miracle" drivers, no overclocking, nothing -- nada. You should be thankful that it even supports DirectX 9.

vengance_01
08-27-2008, 09:13 AM
I think these are even underclocked. What did you expect from the GMA950 in a netbook. :)

masterg
08-28-2008, 10:16 AM
i am able to play age of empires 3 on low settings, how does AOE3 compare to other games graphic wise?

Anarki
08-29-2008, 10:39 AM
Rather than creating a new thread I thought I would ask in this one about the Acer inspire one netbook.

I'm thinking of getting the 1.6GHz/512MB RAM/120GB HDD with linux. So now for the questions:

Is it easy to format and install XP?

masterg - you mention it can run AOE III, I was interested in running C&C generals myself which has lower system requirements so I guess it will run fine. The thing that concerns me is the max resolution the Acer one supports :shrug:

When playing games on it how long does the battery last? 1 hour or so?

Regards.

masterg
08-29-2008, 02:52 PM
i thought the 120gb hdd was xp and 1gb ram onry

the TWO resolutions are 800x600 and 1024x600

the 3cell lasts about 1.5-2hrs 6cell would be better. probably want to keep it cool the fan gets warm when playing and performance dips in laggy situations

masterg
08-29-2008, 02:57 PM
i just looked at my cpu-z for this thing and its not running at the stated 1.6ghz it says it is. .798 x2 isnt teh same as 1.6

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Masterg_/acer.jpg

Anarki
08-29-2008, 03:22 PM
Thats the speedstep kicking in I believe (the multi drops to 6) it does this when the computer is idle to save battery.

Put a load on the system (Prime95) and it should show the CPU running at 1.6GHz.

GoldenTiger
08-29-2008, 06:25 PM
Rather than creating a new thread I thought I would ask in this one about the Acer inspire one netbook.

I'm thinking of getting the 1.6GHz/512MB RAM/120GB HDD with linux. So now for the questions:

Is it easy to format and install XP?

masterg - you mention it can run AOE III, I was interested in running C&C generals myself which has lower system requirements so I guess it will run fine. The thing that concerns me is the max resolution the Acer one supports :shrug:

When playing games on it how long does the battery last? 1 hour or so?

Regards.

XP only for the 1GB/120GB hdd, I got mine for $250 + tax out the door at bestbuy + a $30 giftcard by mail. I love it! Two resolutions: 800x600 (4:3) or 1024x600 (wide) are available. Runs fine, since the graphics chip isn't that strong anyway you wouldn't want a higher resolution really.

I don't know about when playing games but when browsing the 'net with a USB connection to my phone for a cellular data plan, I get over 3 hours of battery life on the One (3-cell, I'm in the northeastern United States) while it is keeping the phone charged too. I'm guessing for games it would probably last about 2 hours on battery, maybe 1 hour 45 minutes.

I *LOVE* the thing as I said before... keyboard is just about full-size and is easy to type on, very snappy computer even with my antivirus/antispyware running, and it is SO light (~2 pounds) and nice to carry, plus it includes a little cover case for it that's a nice bonus.

Oh, and by the way...

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/6240/pic0015ry3.jpg

10FPS!!! LOL... ripped from the Aspire One User forums, credit for pic to loopyoyo.

Cpl Ledanek
02-16-2009, 03:57 PM
I'm so interested with Acer One with XP home, but I do want memory maxed.

Which retailer should I go to get memory upgrade?
Fry's
Microcenter?
BestBuy...urgg...I got goosebumps just mentioning that :shakes:
mom-pop store?

just want it for internet/email/mp3+mp4:movie watching-via 16GB USB flashdrive

hardly any gaming

advance thanks

RejZoR
02-20-2009, 06:30 AM
If you want to boost performance you'll need this www.gmabooster.com. You can overclock GMA950 chip from 166MHz to 400MHz.
However i still wonder how come i can't get Far Cry and Crysis to run on Aspire One. I've set everything to low in Far Cry demo, yet it still runs like crap. Could be because it's just demo?
But i've seen Youtube videos where even Crysis was like super smooth (all to Low but still). I don't get it.