PDA

View Full Version : tips on cleaning lenses?

evil-98
08-26-2008, 12:11 PM
so i got a few smudges on my D60s lens, i have a pentax lens cleaning cloth but im afraid of using it on the lens as ive used it on different surfaces before and apparently it scratches

so what should i use? what is the best solvent/solution to use to remove oils and such

and just as a side note
can someone recommend me a 52mm polarizer

thanks in advanced

Magnj
08-26-2008, 06:20 PM
Eclipse cleaning solution and pec pads, works for lenses and sensors. Also look into one of the baby spatula tools for the inevitable sensor cleaning.

Nate P.
08-26-2008, 08:58 PM
I just use the cloths that came with my glasses, works like a charm. Also look at some mirofiber cloth, takes off fingerprints super easy.

YugenM
08-26-2008, 11:00 PM
I just use the cloths that came with my glasses, works like a charm. Also look at some mirofiber cloth, takes off fingerprints super easy.

Real men do it with their T-shirt and clone out every single scratch mark that shows up in the image.

evil-98
08-27-2008, 09:17 AM
Real men do it with their T-shirt and clone out every single scratch mark that shows up in the image.

... i almost want to sig that :rofl:

thanks guys

i guess it should be ok to use my pentax lens cloth but ill look into the eclipse pads as i will need to clean the sensor

thanks again

Magnj
08-27-2008, 11:47 AM
Just be careful not to scratch, also a little blower is an option too...but really for the lenses just be gentle and you can use a soft cloth. Really it depends on your glass, if your cleaning Limited or DA* glass I'd be more cautious ;)

twilyth
08-27-2008, 12:06 PM
Zeiss makes some moisten wipes that are safe for polycarbonate and coated lenses. If they work for glasses, they should work for a camera lens. I use my lens cap pretty religiously so I haven't ever had to clean the lens - just some compressed air from time to time.

G H Z
08-27-2008, 12:13 PM
If there's much dust on the lens you'd be smart to blow it off or even rinse it off before wiping the lens. The cleaning cloths you mention are fine...as long as they are clean themselves. If they get any dirt/abrasive on them you'll scratch any lens you try to clean. I like the disposable cleaning cloths.