PDA

View Full Version : 4870 EK block

Shogan
08-26-2008, 05:53 AM
Just got my EK 4870 block delivered, any advice on the installation? I see its just one solid block, with sections to cool the core obviously, and memory chips. Then there is a black addon extension for the power mosfets. Is there anything else on the card that needs to be cooled in addition to these? Just want to make sure I haven't missed something.

Cheers

MomijiTMO
08-26-2008, 05:58 AM
Just check that there is full contact between the block and the ram etc. Sometimes these block have a nasty warp.

Sparky
08-26-2008, 06:34 AM
I don't think I've ever seen an EK block warped :confused: They are machined, how does it get warped? I've seen improper installation of the blocks though that result in the card being warped, but never the block.

Shogan
08-26-2008, 06:37 AM
Thanks so far my block looks pretty normal to me. Apparently I need to apply thermal paste between the connection of the main waterblock and the addon mosfet aluminium part too? Anyone done this?

Sparky
08-26-2008, 06:58 AM
Anything that makes contact for cooling you want thermal paste between the two. General rule of thumb. Check the installation instructions first to be sure though ;)

Boyu
08-26-2008, 07:08 AM
just don't overtight, it will result poor contact coz the card will be warped

Shogan
08-26-2008, 07:12 AM
Ok I'll try not to overdo the tightening on the screws :D

Thanks for the info so far guys. The block of copper is pretty solid though, I don't think it will have any warping issues!

|Oc|REvO_HsArC
08-26-2008, 07:19 AM
really carefull ightening the screws. The pcb bends like paper.

Shogan
08-27-2008, 08:17 AM
I noticed that Revo, thanks.

I was careful, but the instructions told me to apply 1.5mm thick thermal pad to that large black regulator thing, and 0.5 mm thinner pad to the 5/6 chips behind that one. Once I put the paste on the Qimonda ram and GPU core, I then mounted the heatsink and addon piece for vrms, and screwed it all in carefully. The PCB does bend slightly when the screws go in, even lightly... Anyway, I checked the aluminium piece to see if contact was being made, and there was no contact! About 1mm gap between the thermal pads on the smallest vrms ( I think thats what they are ) and the heatsink, so in other words, no contact! I took the sink off, applied new paste to ram and core, and cut more thermal pads (0.5mm ones) into strips, and made a sandwich of 3 layers of the thin pads on the vrms. This then allowed them to make contact when I applied the block for the second time. I am attaching some screenshots from CCC and GPU-Z 0.2.7 to show you guys the temps. Could you give me any feedback on the results? Do the temps look good? I think the GPU core temp is perfect at 34degrees C idle, thats brilliant, but tell me what you think about the RAM and VRM temps...

Cheers :)

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i127/shogan85/wxx.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i127/shogan85/temps.jpg

sargatanas
08-30-2008, 11:28 PM
Hi, I'm thinking bout getting 2 4870 1gb versions. Does anybody know if the EK block will fit the 1gb version too? Haven't a picture of the pcb.