PDA

View Full Version : DICE questions - my first attempt at sub-zero !!!

aussie-revhead
08-26-2008, 04:10 AM
Guys , quick questions , I just popped my first bits of dry ice into my pot and watched temp in bios (rampage) and temps stayed at ambient 16 degrees C. I poured a little acetone on the dry pieces and got the classic vapours flowing out but temps stayed the same , why is this ? Secondly it smells , probably the acetone , and my rig is in the lounge room , can I use something else that wont smell so much ? Alternatively how can I operate this rig remotely from my pc desk ? How far can I extend usb and dvi cables before degradation etc ?

Any help would be great.

Vivi
08-26-2008, 06:47 AM
i have no idea what u mean about remotely controlling your PC.

the 16C temp is just a Chip bug / lock, i get it allot. if u KNOW u are mounted correctly your temps are around -60 - -74.

I dont know where the smell comes from? i never smell the acitone heavily. it should be ok, maybe u using some weird type of acitone.

aussie-revhead
08-26-2008, 07:45 AM
i have no idea what u mean about remotely controlling your PC.

I mean I have a kvm but I need a longer range , like to have the dice rig in next room or even outside. I saw wireless kvm's but they are worth a fortune.

:shrug:

Vivi
08-26-2008, 08:18 AM
haha if i were you i'd rather want to be near the Dice rig incase something goes wrong. u will also BSOD and restart many times, and check for water vapor forming.
but yea if u want to controll it from distance no one is stopping u!

[XC] gomeler
08-26-2008, 09:00 AM
Use alcohol. Acetone smells like garbage and is the source of your problems. You need a thermometer to get accurate base temperatures but with dry ice you can just ram the pot full of dry ice and then our about shot's worth of acetone/alcohol/gasoline/paint thinner/etc so that the base of the pot is submerged in a dry ice/solvent slush. I wouldn't suggest using gasoline or paint thinner, I was desperate once and they smell horrendous :down:

stangracin2
08-26-2008, 12:55 PM
gomeler;3247011']Use alcohol. Acetone smells like garbage and is the source of your problems. You need a thermometer to get accurate base temperatures but with dry ice you can just ram the pot full of dry ice and then our about shot's worth of acetone/alcohol/gasoline/paint thinner/etc so that the base of the pot is submerged in a dry ice/solvent slush. I wouldn't suggest using gasoline or paint thinner, I was desperate once and they smell horrendous :down:

what are you talking about paint thinner smells good lol

1Tanker
08-26-2008, 01:01 PM
I like the alcohol idea. Then you can have a cold drink with ice, when your done benching. :up: :p:

aussie-revhead
08-26-2008, 01:46 PM
Sweet but what sort of alcohol ? Methanol ? I have drums of that .

:D

G H Z
08-26-2008, 02:22 PM
Acetone cannot be matched for temperatures, I'd adjust to the smell, I don't even notice it anymore. Either that or place the setup near a window. That board (RE?) will not report temps correctly in BIOS, I can be under -100 and it will report temps in the plus range. You need to use a themo-couple with a digital thermometer if you want accurate temperatures.

MomijiTMO
08-26-2008, 02:28 PM
Yeah acetone isn't the greatest thing to have a wiff off. There was this one time where I was in a daze and didn't know if the bottle had any acetone so I took a big wiff. Well I didn't eat anything for the rest of the day and I felt like crap. However the stuff is the best solvent ever!!! MSDS on acetone just says to not inhale it.

Just do it in a well ventilated area. Whack a fan on in an adjacent room.

philbrown23
08-26-2008, 06:37 PM
nice gonn be DICIN this thursday so I'm eating all this up, I've been using alcohol only gettin about -32c loaded so maybe acetone will help

aussie-revhead
08-27-2008, 05:18 AM
Thanks guys , I have 10kg of dry ice coming on friday so expect some results friday night /saturday morning ....

:up:

Slovnaft
08-27-2008, 05:47 AM
so in conclusion, acetone is best, just wear a mask?
and use as little as possible to cover base of pot.

i've never diced before, but i should be getting a pot soon. how often to replenish acetone?

Vivi
08-27-2008, 06:16 AM
about every 1 hour. or about 50 mins. u will notice the temps get hotter when the acetone runs out

aussie-revhead
08-27-2008, 06:26 AM
Can you trust coretemp/realtemp ? Or only external temp probe with dice ?

:up:

Slovnaft
08-27-2008, 06:29 AM
now temp probes--expensive? cheap? can i buy one at ACE Hardware? =]

philbrown23
08-27-2008, 07:57 AM
you can buy voltimeters that have temp probes with them, those are the bst bet the can be expensive for a good one though, but you should be ble to get one at the hardware store.

[XC] gomeler
08-27-2008, 08:41 AM
Fluke 16, has a temp probe and full scale multimeter in it :up:

Slovnaft
08-27-2008, 08:48 AM
sweet, but wowpricey! i just killed my bank account with hardware, idk if i can spend that much on a probe.
for that much its almost worth guesstimating "cold"-"very cold" with teh pinky finger.
i mean, at this point in my game.

[XC] gomeler
08-27-2008, 08:56 AM
sweet, but wowpricey! i just killed my bank account with hardware, idk if i can spend that much on a probe.
for that much its almost worth guesstimating "cold"-"very cold" with teh pinky finger.
i mean, at this point in my game.

Wouldn't suggest actually doing that as your pinky finger will stick to the cold metal if there is any moisture. Just doing a standard dry ice run you can run without a probe, just make sure there's enough solvent in the base for adequate heat exchange.

Slovnaft
08-27-2008, 08:58 AM
yeh i was kidding.
all though i suppose sarcasm is hard to read on the intranet

[XC] gomeler
08-27-2008, 09:20 AM
yeh i was kidding.
all though i suppose sarcasm is hard to read on the intranet

and people do stupid stuff when they read about it online :up:

Slovnaft
08-27-2008, 10:24 AM
I've actually found some nice deals on these on EBAY:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=200249359776

and there are more.
I won't be pouncing as i'm done spending for a while, but...you know...FYI