PDA

View Full Version : KX-7 Problems

Chong345
07-25-2002, 11:47 AM
Okay I just recieved my KX-7 yesterday and I put it in and everything works fine at stock. Well I only used one of my sticks of ram cause I wanted the highest possible OC but I couldn't run through 3dmarks at 183 or higher even though I could do it easily with my epox at 191 with most agressive timings. Even if I set all the timings to 2.5-3-5-3-2t and fast cpu command decode to normal I still couldn't make it through at 183. Then I put my other stick in for testing since I kinda had the same problems with my epox. I needed both sticks in for everything to run ok. sure enough I can make it through 3dmarks but at 191FSB I get ACPI errors stating that this bios does not fully support ACPI. I'm using bios 9k. If anybody can help me with figuring out what the best bios timings are that would be a great help. I just need like a reference point to kinda understand whats going on. I feel like I should be able to run at 191 with fast cpu command decode, 2-2-5-2-1t. I could do it with my epox but not this board. Its very strange. Also I get the ACPI errors no matter what timings I use. The fsb was at 190+ when I get these errors. If I can't run that high then I would say that this board was a waste. I wanted to top my 8k3a+ score but its looking kinda grim. Oh yeah its volt modded and yes I've tried all different voltages except I haven't touched the I/O.

MrIcee
07-25-2002, 12:11 PM
Chong:)

Remember...the Abit at 191Mhz at max timings is alot more aggressive than the Epox....you will definitely need more voltage...I know you've tried many settings. But 3 or 3.1...even 3.2 might do it. Also...in the dram timing section...try adjusting the MD drive strength...I've found setting it to high sometimes makes a difference...then try medium...then lo. Set the last setting...the Delay..at 840PS. Let us know how you make out.

Randi:D

Chong345
07-25-2002, 01:55 PM
Randi,
Running sandra score don't show it being that much more agressive. Also I can't get it to work at any voltage on the DRAM above 2. This is very odd. What about the ACPI thing? I'm gonna try the other settings you gave me. I can post at high voltages but can't boot in at high voltages. Very odd. I'm still playing with it.

Joey

OPP any idea's?

mdzcpa
07-25-2002, 06:46 PM
My 2 cents:

I would do a fresh flash of the BIOS. Stay with 9K.

Also, make sure mem sticks are in DIMMS 1 and 3 for best results.

Chong345
07-25-2002, 08:36 PM
I've heard that 7m is pretty good and that I should flash to it. What do you think? I was thinking about flashing but I dunno. I can run at 193 now but I get in situations when I try to restsart and it doesn't post.

mdzcpa
07-26-2002, 05:42 AM
I have seen no real differences in stability or performance between the 7M or 9K...so either one will probably be fine. I would either flash to the 7M or reflash the 9K if your still getting ACPI errors. And double check those BIOS settings too. You shouldn't be getting those ACPI errors at that level of overclock.

I'm sure you know what your cpu max is from the epox set up. but have you tried lowering the multiplier to get higher FSB speeds just in case?

What memory settings are you using to get that 193mhz?

FYI for reference, I'm using the Corsair PC3000 on the KX7 and get the following without the mem voltage mod.

CAS 2, 4way, 2,5,2, 1T up to 185mhz
CAS 2, 4way, 3,6,3, 1T up to 192mhz
CAS 2, 4way, 3,6,3, 2T up to 202mhz
Above that it's just at SPD

My best bandwidth scores are achieved by running CAS 2, 4 way, 3,6,3 2T above 200mhz. I run 1T at 190 on a daily 24/7 basis when not benching and get great bandwidth there. But my best benches are run at 2T over 200mhz.

Remember...use DIMMS 1 and 3.

Hope this helps.

Chong345
07-26-2002, 06:47 AM
mdzcpa,
Thanks for all your help. Currently I'm using 4way 2-5-2 1t at 193 with fast cpu decode and dram enhance. Pretty agressive settings but they seem to bench just fine. Maybe I just expected more from this board. Also I have only tried tweaking it for about 30hrs. total. I'm still trying to get the feel of how this board works. For some reason it will only go all the way through 3dmarks if I have 2 sticks in. I also have to use the md drive strength to high and the 1&2 dimm to high. I forgot to mention that when I switched the dimms to 1 and 3 I couldn't hit as high as 1&2 even when I turned on the 1,2,3,4 drive strength to high. This board is very touchy.

Thanks again,
Chong

ps. I have tried lowering the multi just to double check that the cpu is at fault. It sucks not being able to use more than 2.9v due to the BSOD's. I've never gotten so many "kick backs" to the desktop out of 3dmarks. Seemed like the epox board never had a problem but as Icee Stated the board has more agressive timings.

MrIcee
07-26-2002, 10:32 AM

If you carefully read mdzcpa's settings with the Corsair you have..you'll see at the higher FSB he has to reduce timings to remain stable. As I said in PM...I believe the kind of ram performance settings at 200Mhz+ FSB you have asked of me, will necessitate better ram. Your BSOD's and kick backs in 3DMark are definitely ram related. 1 good stick of something else will probably take you where OPP and I and DDTUNG have gone as far as 200Mhz+ and aggressive timings are concerned.:)

mdzcpa
07-26-2002, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by MrIcee

If you carefully read mdzcpa's settings with the Corsair you have..you'll see at the higher FSB he has to reduce timings to remain stable. As I said in PM...I believe the kind of ram performance settings at 200Mhz+ FSB you have asked of me, will necessitate better ram. Your BSOD's and kick backs in 3DMark are definitely ram related. 1 good stick of something else will probably take you where OPP and I and DDTUNG have gone as far as 200Mhz+ and aggressive timings are concerned.:)

Ditto. I like the Corsair PC3000. It has been good for me since day one. But there is better out there now. It just depends if you're willing to pony up more cash for the Mushkin or whatever. The KX7 is memory picky but flys with the right stuff.

Chong345
07-26-2002, 03:04 PM
If I soften up the timings and can run faster will it be beneficial to me in 3dmarks? Also Randi I know this is a little off topic but riva won't let me go up in mhz by 1 notch. You know how it shows the real clock value to the left. Well anywhere from 350-358 puts me at 351 and the above 358 it jumps to 364 and my card won't run there. Ideas? Should I switch to coolbits?

MrIcee
07-26-2002, 04:06 PM
Are you using the hardware overclocking feature?? There has been issue with this before where some can get the +1mhz function to work and others can't. If you have the low level overclocking enabled in the first drop down menu...disable it. Drop down the second drop down menu and choose the first choice...then enable hardware overclocking..detect the card now. You will need to rebooytfor thechanges to take effect. See how this works for you. i have no problem using hardware level overclocking in Rivatuner and am able to adjust in 1Mhz increments flawlessly.

As far as the ram timings...thats something you'll need to bench both ways to find out conclusively with your system:)

Randi:)