PDA

View Full Version : Worth adding another 120 rad to my loop?

arnemetis
08-25-2008, 01:24 PM
Most of my case modding is complete and I'm getting close to ordering actual components soon, so I'm re-thinking the option of adding more cooling capacity to my loop. I've fit a Thermochill PA120.3 in the top of my stacker with 6x medium yates, and had originally planned on that being enough. Back then my graphics cards were to be 8800gt's, and now they will be gtx 260's, so the heatload has increased. I have the option to cram an MCR120 onto the back 120mm exaust fan for that last bit of added cooling - I need to know if this is worthwhile for me. The loop and components are below:

Swiftech Microres to dual DDC3.2's each with petras tops (7/16" masterkleer tubing)
PA120.3 w/ 6x medium speed yate loons from petras @ 12v each (no shrouds)
Dtek fuzion v1 w/ quad nozzle on heavily overclocked q6600
EK/Bitspower northbridge block for evga ftw 780i or 790i (haven't decided yet)
EK full cover gtx280 blocks on dual gtx 260's (reasonable overclocks, no volt mods)

The 120 would either go between tc rad/cpu, cpu/nb, or nb/gpu1. Would this help me out appreciably? The swiftech goes for like $35 which I can handle, the TC is far too expensive and has a larger footprint so that is out. According to martin's flow rate estimator, I should be around 2GPM so I'm pretty sure it will swing the added restriction of the 120, however he hasn't tested this rad so I don't know for sure. Thanks in advance for any advice! :up:

Conumdrum
08-25-2008, 03:38 PM
It doesn't matter where in the loop it's placed. And yea, you might need an xtra rad in there, you are pushing a lotta heat. And I don't think adding that rad would affect flow very much.
I hope a 120x1 and the PA 120.3 is enuff, I'd almost split the loops with the 120.3 to the GPU's and a 120x2 for the CPU/NB. Depends on your OC's and your ambient and fan choice etc.

Keep us posted on results.