PDA

View Full Version : EK Supreme - Correct Orientation??

Lloyd
08-25-2008, 10:16 AM
Hiya guys,
a friend just asked me if there was a correct orientation for the EK supreme (like when u have a quad plate in a Fuzion?) And i couldn't give him a straight answer (c sig, lol) so i thought i'd ask here, c'mon RRR u must know ;)
TIA
Regards
Lloyd

evil-98
08-25-2008, 10:24 AM
this is how i have it mounted

http://evil98.insanity-asylum.com/computers/homewrecker/126.jpg

D-Cyph3r
08-25-2008, 10:35 AM
I've had mine mounted both ways and seen no difference in performance.

Lloyd
08-25-2008, 12:48 PM
@ evil and RRR - are u getting EVEN temps accross ur chip ? Because my mate wasn't getting even temps accross the chip, i said u need to lapp the chip, that was my advice. But as i say i don't have experience with the EK.
Thankyou very much for your input so far

evil-98
08-25-2008, 01:43 PM
left its RRR orientation right is how it have it

left both dies share the heat spread, right head is divided down the middle

Lloyd
08-25-2008, 01:50 PM
RRR - that's how i would have it, and suggested to my mate. As i looked into one i had (sitting around) and there seemed to be a channel/barrier running in between the EK and Supreme logos almost like it was a built in quad plate (sorry i'm not describing it very well) which would run along this line....

EDIT- Just seen evils post, so there is a kinda quadplate inbuilt?

IanY
08-25-2008, 01:55 PM
Its hilarious that you guys can't agree.

Does the manufacturer even have any input in this?

evil-98
08-25-2008, 02:03 PM
Its hilarious that you guys can't agree.

Does the manufacturer even have any input in this?

yea i remember eddie talked about it when the supreme was first introduced ill search it

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=2604469&postcount=391

Hi!

It is very likely that the turning the block for 90° would make a difference.
If you know how the cores are oriented you should turn the block that the channel section covers direct area vver the cores.
See very raw image:

edit:

eddy's super uber raw drawing

Lloyd
08-25-2008, 02:22 PM
So maybe mount one way for a dual core and another for quad? Thoughts anyone?

evil-98
08-25-2008, 02:23 PM
its worth a try, for a dual core really orientation wont matter

Martinm210
08-25-2008, 03:03 PM
Dang, you mean I'm running it wrong!...lol

Seriously I've been running mine with the nozzle slots lining up with the cores or horizontal lake Naeku and R3. I'll have to try it the other way and see what I get...Actually, I'm not sure I can...it might conflict with my NB waterblock..

Martinm210
08-25-2008, 03:38 PM
left its RRR orientation right is how it have it

left both dies share the heat spread, right head is divided down the middle

I'll have to make this run out in a fully logged setup, but I'm pretty sure I'm getting very noticeably better temps as shown on the left where the block is horizontal in the case parallel to the slot lever and the nozzle lines up with the cores...:shrug:

Like this:
http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/6425/supremeorientationks5.jpg

NaeKuh
08-25-2008, 04:37 PM

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p73/aigomorla/IMG_1148.jpg

Which is the same way martin and RRR has shown.

And yeah ive tested it. You wont get even temps cuz of the way the EK was designed. It washes the water out on one side not the entire block like D-tek.

So you need the injectors intersecting the cores and not go in the middle of the cores.

NaeKuh
08-25-2008, 04:44 PM
LOL,

and that's what messes me up. The way the board sits on my bench is like you have above, where what most people consider the side, is actually the top on my bench. So when I look at my board, and everyone else pics, it confuses the hell out of me.

Thank you for posting that pic, and restoring my sanity,

andyc

:up:

yeah i have the same problem too because i have a bench as well. :rofl:

Lloyd
08-25-2008, 04:46 PM
Here are the pics...

Look at orientation of CPU on my MB:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3236/2797007863_49bbf976b2_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3290/2797007859_c34c104cb2_b.jpg

I have not run my CPU hard on water yet. Just ran a few test runs to make sure the MB was still OK after installing waterblocks... I know nthe CPU is oxidized, will be hitting it with 2500 grit sandpaper this week...

Mate, that looks awesome, i can't wait to rebuild rig 1 with those compression fittings (well 3/8" ones anyway)

Martinm210
08-25-2008, 04:47 PM
OK, I just ran it like this picture is showing which is vertical on my DFI board, triangle in the lower right corner.

Anywhow, this is the WRONG WAY. I get a solid 7 degrees worse Highcore temps running it that way and about 4 degrees worse average temp.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=84204&stc=1&d=1219702693
Don't run it like this.

NaeKuh
08-25-2008, 04:55 PM
ROFL....

Martin didnt I tell you that when i mailed you my EK to test the first time?

:wasntme:

Also inlet right, outlet left shows some improvement as well vs inlet left outlet right.

:T

Someone can retest that if they want. I didnt have enough time to go in depth on that. I honestly thought it wouldnt make a difference, but i did record some difference.

Lloyd
08-25-2008, 04:59 PM
OK, I just ran it like this picture is showing which is vertical on my DFI board, triangle in the lower right corner.

Anywhow, this is the WRONG WAY. I get a solid 7 degrees worse Highcore temps running it that way and about 4 degrees worse average temp.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=84204&stc=1&d=1219702693
Don't run it like this.

So the way RRR has it is right then? (sorry it's late and i've drank far too much :) )

Martinm210
08-25-2008, 05:21 PM
So the way RRR has it is right then? (sorry it's late and i've drank far too much :) )

Yes, follow the pictures that R3 posted. When the lever is locked down this should be inline with the barb orientation.:up:

Martinm210
08-25-2008, 05:24 PM
ROFL....

Martin didnt I tell you that when i mailed you my EK to test the first time?

:wasntme:

Also inlet right, outlet left shows some improvement as well vs inlet left outlet right.

:T

Someone can retest that if they want. I didnt have enough time to go in depth on that. I honestly thought it wouldnt make a difference, but i did record some difference.

Probably, but you expect me to remember that far back...I have a hard enough time remembering what I ate for lunch today let alone that far back..:ROTF:

Seriously though, I'll have to check out your inlet right outlet left thing. If it works I'll let you know.

Anyhow, these pics explain it all best:

THIS IS THE CORRECT WAY ON A QUAD CORE

Here are the pics...

Look at orientation of CPU on my MB:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3236/2797007863_49bbf976b2_b.jpg

I have not run my CPU hard on water yet. Just ran a few test runs to make sure the MB was still OK after installing waterblocks... I know nthe CPU is oxidized, will be hitting it with 2500 grit sandpaper this week...

Lloyd
08-25-2008, 06:01 PM
Thanks guys :up:
Much appreciated :)
You confirmed what i thought, thanks! You guys rock :up:

Utnorris
08-26-2008, 03:34 PM
Wow, I thought I had my block oriented correctly. I changed it to the correct position based on RRR pics and got a 3-5 degree drop in temps. That was with me not even redoing my AS5, which I need to go ahead and do. This should be a sticky. Now the question is whether to lap my QX9650.............

Utnorris

NaeKuh
08-26-2008, 04:12 PM
Now the question is whether to lap my QX9650.............

Utnorris

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p73/aigomorla/IMG_1143.jpg

:rofl:

norris, ive been telling my friends about that mounting style on the supreme. AS i said when the block first came out, i grabbed one, and then another, and then another.
I Even destroyed 1.

Minus the creators, and probably even them now, i think no one has more on hand hours on the supreme then i do.

It wasnt til reciently that people started listening to me because everyone had fusion envy while i moved on to better things. :rofl:

Another note, if you guys are gona make custom accelerators, you need to make sure the plate is = thickness to the stock. The reason why i say that is i snaped my custom plate in half trying to pry it off the block. If you taken off the block you'll understand what i mean about prying.

gxavier
08-26-2008, 04:19 PM
Oh wow... so for a dual core it's vertical? Will the supreme even fit on most mobo's vertically?

Utnorris
08-26-2008, 04:27 PM
It's not that I don't think I will benefit from lapping mind you, it's just taking a $600+ processor to a piece of sandpaper that bothers me. In the end I will need to do it since I must have a really bad IHS. I am getting a 15c gap between my highest and lowest temps on my cores. I have remounted it a couple of times and still get the same or near same results, so I came to the conclusion my IHS was warped. Hopefully lapping it will fix it. Of course the other option is to see if Intel will replace it, doubt it since it is an OEM version. Anyway, again, thanks for the clarification on the orientation, thought I had it right based on the instructions included, but obviously I was wrong. :D

Utnorris

Martinm210
08-26-2008, 06:16 PM
FYI,
I tried the right side inlet vs left side outlet and got worse temps again. For whatever reason mine is working best left side in, right side outlet. Why there is even a difference I don't understand. It might have something to do with the accelerator plates not being lapped flush and being slightly tilted. I was tempted to lap my nozzle plate, but I'm not doing anything until I get the "As Shipped" testing done.

I was suprised about the orientation differences as well, mine was really poor when the wrong way...about 4 degrees or so average core and the highest core was almost 7C worse. Differential between cores was also huge when wrong.

twwen2
08-26-2008, 06:38 PM
I lapped my accelerator plate... :up:

800/1000/1500/2000/2500

Pics, pics my good man! ;)

Martinm210
08-26-2008, 06:51 PM
Pics, pics my good man! ;)

Yes yes, we want a reflection in that baby!! :D

NaeKuh
08-26-2008, 07:02 PM
FYI,
I tried the right side inlet vs left side outlet and got worse temps again. For whatever reason mine is working best left side in, right side outlet. Why there is even a difference I don't understand.

ROFLROFL

now you see why this little block has kept me so busy? :rolleyes: Every way you rotate it, you get different temps. And i dont mean slight variances either.

Blah im gonna have to flip it again, and see if that does anything.

Martinm210
08-26-2008, 07:32 PM
ROFLROFL

now you see why this little block has kept me so busy? :rolleyes: Every way you rotate it, you get different temps. And i dont mean slight variances either.

Blah im gonna have to flip it again, and see if that does anything.

Try just flipping the nozzle plate and see what that does.

There is a little slag left behind from the lazer cutting and they are not cleaning the bottoms very thoroughly. This is apparent when you examine the seating of the plate when it's apart, the plate will actually rock back and forth a little bit. This could potentially be favoring flow on one side vs the other and it may not have anything to do with the actual top inlet location. Lapping the plate might take care of the difference is what I'm speculating..:shrug:

NaeKuh
08-26-2008, 07:38 PM
martin when you test my cuplex can you also rotate it 90 degree's and see if it makes any difference.

Martinm210
08-26-2008, 07:59 PM
martin when you test my cuplex can you also rotate it 90 degree's and see if it makes any difference.

Will do...I'll probably be putting that one up soon..:up:

I think I'll be testing waterblocks for the rest of my life. I now have 15 of them...:eek:

Some people collect stamps...:ROTF:

turtletrax
08-26-2008, 09:35 PM
I lapped my accelerator plate... :up:

800/1000/1500/2000/2500

Me too :) As soon as I saw the finnish and the slag, out popped the 3/4" sheet of galss and the 1500 grit. Forgot to take pics tho.

Need to pop the block off one more time so I will grab some then :up:

Utnorris
08-26-2008, 09:52 PM
I hope you don't mean you lapping the block, wouldn't that take the bow out of it?

Utnorris

turtletrax
08-26-2008, 10:06 PM
I hope you don't mean you lapping the block, wouldn't that take the bow out of it?

Utnorris

nah I mean the accelerator plate. I was dull and full of crap from laser cutting, so I lapped it to get rid of the slag and make it purdy :)

SaiNRuB
08-26-2008, 10:15 PM
What mods besides lapping the accelerator plate are you guys doing to the Supreme.

Has there been any news of a different accelarator plate from Eddy?

Lloyd
08-27-2008, 11:38 AM
Any chance we could get this sticky? For an easy find?
Thanks guys

NysoO
08-27-2008, 02:25 PM
FYI,
I tried the right side inlet vs left side outlet and got worse temps again. For whatever reason mine is working best left side in, right side outlet. Why there is even a difference I don't understand. It might have something to do with the accelerator plates not being lapped flush and being slightly tilted. I was tempted to lap my nozzle plate, but I'm not doing anything until I get the "As Shipped" testing done.

I was suprised about the orientation differences as well, mine was really poor when the wrong way...about 4 degrees or so average core and the highest core was almost 7C worse. Differential between cores was also huge when wrong.

Man this is confusing! I understand that the block should be mounted horizontal like in R3's pick. But is the supreme logo or the EK logo supposed to be upwards / downwards? or is it the accelerator / top that is supposed to sit in a certain way?

Martinm210
08-27-2008, 02:35 PM
Man this is confusing! I understand that the block should be mounted horizontal like in R3's pick. But is the supreme logo or the EK logo supposed to be upwards / downwards? or is it the accelerator / top that is supposed to sit in a certain way?

It's probably block specific, you'll have to try your particular block out and see..:shrug:

NysoO
08-27-2008, 02:41 PM
It's probably block specific, you'll have to try your particular block out and see..:shrug:

Doh! It isn't too fun to re mount the block 3 times to see what orientation the block is supposed to be at. Btw, I noticed when cleaning the block that the nozzle plate sits a bit tight in the base. Maybe that's why a space may occur? Hence giving the block so different performances. Also as said earlier in this thread, there is unevenness at the end of the nozzle after machining/lasercutting. It would be good to know all this before mounting the block.

Martinm210
08-27-2008, 02:48 PM
Doh! It isn't too fun to re mount the block 3 times to see what orientation the block is supposed to be at. Btw, I noticed when cleaning the block that the nozzle plate sits a bit tight in the base. Maybe that's why a space may occur? Hence giving the block so different performances. Also as said earlier in this thread, there is unevenness at the end of the nozzle after machining/lasercutting. It would be good to know all this before mounting the block.

Call it tinkering...there's always room for improvement and there's no free lunch..:D

You think 3 mounts is bad, I've been through over 40 mounts in the past few weeks most of which I had to throw away because of problems..:eek:

Practice makes perfect!:)

NysoO
08-27-2008, 02:51 PM
Call it tinkering...there's always room for improvement and there's no free lunch..:D

You think 3 mounts is bad, I've been through over 40 mounts in the past few weeks most of which I had to throw away because of problems..:eek:

Practice makes perfect!:)

Well you are able to do it on a testbed. It's harder if you have to drain and refill the loop when motherboard and such are mounted in a case.
Props to you though for taking time reviewing all these WC components. It's much appreciated :up::up:

Edit: Maybe we should have a mounting competition here at the forums? Fastest to demount and remount wins :D

Martinm210
08-27-2008, 03:00 PM
Well you are able to do it on a testbed. It's harder if you have to drain and refill the loop when motherboard and such are mounted in a case.
Props to you though for taking time reviewing all these WC components. It's much appreciated :up::up:

Edit: Maybe we should have a mounting competition here at the forums? Fastest to demount and remount wins :D

I'm just mounting in a regular TT armor case. I do cheat though, I've since cut a hole in the back of the motherboard tray so I can swap out backplates and hardware as needed, and I've also install two globe valves I can shut down to minimize the water loss when swapping blocks out. Then all I have to do is run the air out into the reservoir and top it off.

But you don't have to break into the loop to try the left right thing. There is always the inlet and outlet as designed, that's not in question here. We're just talking about which side or orientation the inlet should be mounted. All you need to do is unscrew the block mounting nuts and flip the block around with new paste.

I'm down to just a few minutes and that even using digital calipers to measure spring tension on all four corners...:D

NysoO
08-27-2008, 03:05 PM
if you count refilling and bleeding the loop also, I'd win:D

andyc

I guess we'll have to find out ;)

But you don't have to break into the loop to try the left right thing. There is always the inlet and outlet as designed, that's not in question here. We're just talking about which side or orientation the inlet should be mounted. All you need to do is unscrew the block mounting nuts and flip the block around with new paste.

Yeah that's really mind boggling. How could that possible affect the performance when the inlet and outlet is always the same?

I'm down to just a few minutes and that even using digital calipers to measure spring tension on all four corners...:D

Ah man, that's really somethin' somethin' to tell the women: "You know, I'm really fast at measuring spring tension :hrhr: :D

Martinm210
08-27-2008, 03:38 PM
I guess we'll have to find out ;)

Yeah that's really mind boggling. How could that possible affect the performance when the inlet and outlet is always the same?

Ah man, that's really somethin' somethin' to tell the women: "You know, I'm really fast at measuring spring tension :hrhr: :D

LOL:ROTF:

This is the reason I think it might matter. The heat signature is not perfectly centered on the IHS...it's actually offset a couple of mm or so that's the theory. So there might be some very small advantage to having more flow rate on one side vs. the other... Who know though...it could all just be testing error on our part..

Lloyd
08-27-2008, 04:27 PM
If we stickied everything, the whole front page would be a stickey at this point :)

andyc

no, i know mate. It's just someone earlier in the thread asked for it to be sticky, and no one responded. So i thought i'd ask. np buddy
And since i saw a thread about a dif section for specific advice, i thought i'd ask.
And it seems this has affected seasoned users and noobs alike, so seems like it should be a sticky

Lloyd
08-27-2008, 04:32 PM
I'm ready, meet the tripletts:D

http://lh4.ggpht.com/mcoffeyXS/SKNrrgDi3iI/AAAAAAAABOA/dUTyv7WCjkI/s800/DSC_0011.JPG

http://lh3.ggpht.com/mcoffeyXS/SKMEJADj45I/AAAAAAAABNg/rM1EyRB8CRs/s800/DSC_0009.JPG

and where they hang out most of the time:D

You just gotta have fun with it sometimes. Takes the drudge out the drudgery.

andyc

which quick disconnects are u using - colder? Are they the ones that spill a ml or summin? Mine are huge in comparison - i like the ones u are using, have u got a link? (sorry i've been drinking far too much vodka while playing bf2142, lol)

twwen2
08-27-2008, 05:40 PM
OMG Andy those triplets are gorgous! :rofl:

Nice QD's too.

Waterlogged
08-27-2008, 08:39 PM
if you count refilling and bleeding the loop also, I'd win:D

andyc

You just take your ball and go home, no one wants to play with you. :p: :ROTF:

NysoO
08-28-2008, 06:40 AM
Andy, man that's cheating! You hear me? Cheating!! :D

NaeKuh
08-28-2008, 09:14 AM
Andy, man that's cheating! You hear me? Cheating!! :D

dude dont even look at me if you call that cheating.

ive been "cheating" for 1 yr now with different ideas. :rofl:

hell im even trying to find a cheat to our biggest wall, "thermodynamics".

Unfortunately, the large hadron collider required for it is still out of my budget. :rofl:

twwen2
08-28-2008, 04:36 PM
See..that's what happens as you get older, you slow down some, but you get sneaky:D

andyc

Lol. Sneaky old buggers :p:

tistou77
11-05-2008, 06:29 PM
hello

I have the EK supreme and if I understood, for a dual or quad, the WB is mounted horizontally with the left exit and entry right it's that?

thank you very much :up:

NaeKuh
11-05-2008, 11:20 PM

first stand on one foot.

one hand rubbing your head, the other patting your tummy.

and then....

:rofl:

Each supreme is different, so you really need to give both sides a try b4 you can find out what side yours likes the best.

tistou77
11-05-2008, 11:46 PM
ok thank you, I will leave horizontal ^^

tistou77
03-01-2009, 08:49 PM
hello

I'd would like to known, if with "Intel I7" the EK supreme must always be mounted like that?

Here are the pics...

thank you