PDA

View Full Version : Check your Chipset Cooling

blindfitter
08-24-2008, 10:16 PM
A little item that could help with overclocking the Blackops and other boards.

Take a look at your chipset coolers.

I pulled mine after a conversation with a colleague, and take a look:

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg71/blindfitter/DSCF0039-1.jpg

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg71/blindfitter/DSCF0034-1.jpg

The cooling pipes were only touching the block, they were .05mm above the surface, I set to and lapped the pipes and block, filled the whole area with ceramique paste and rebuilt.

The result was immediate, the block ran hotter, as on air cooling, but once I connected the water cooler the temps now run 32°C recorded by Aegis panel and 27°C on the side of block measured with my fluke digital thermometer, this after running for 2 hours @ 1.808volts on NB

grungero
08-25-2008, 12:59 AM
OMG! It scares me! I've tried my NBcore at 1.6v on stock cooling with mars but not that far as 2 hours run. :(

negev
08-25-2008, 01:37 AM
wow, this probably explains why i have trouble getting over 400fsb on air.

how do you lap the pipes without spreading tiny particles of metal all over the board?

blindfitter
08-25-2008, 02:02 AM
Take the whole assemble off, protect the block sides, hold in vice, start with flat file, finish with wet & dry paper 800.

When happy with finish, clean with sprit, then clean again!

When done, reassemble and test. Dont forget, quality TIM

Took about an hour, but then I’m a bit slow

HDCHOPPER
08-25-2008, 09:17 AM
it's a given to me to allways reseat all sinks on a new board after thay are mass produced eye have seen this on all boards eye have touched including asus & gigabyte needless to say

and ppl can have a bad day :D

beware the south bridge on the MARS it is stuck on pretty dam good be careful !

and fore shure use a flat table or glass to twist and turn and tweek the whole thing to get it good & flat before reapplying ;)

negev
08-25-2008, 10:06 AM
hmm, reseated mine with arctic silver 5 but my temps are still like 53C load on the nb. hopefully after a week or two it'll settle..

grungero
08-25-2008, 03:00 PM
I reseated my copper heatsink on mars twice for now just with AC-MX2, i did the job last week. So far so good but my temps bumped into 1-3c from idle/load and then i realize what could be the cause?

Anyway, did someone here already tried to replace the stock heatsink's bolts/screws?

blindfitter
08-25-2008, 09:49 PM
I reseated my copper heatsink on mars twice for now just with AC-MX2, i did the job last week. So far so good but my temps bumped into 1-3c from idle/load and then i realize what could be the cause?

Anyway, did someone here already tried to replace the stock heatsink's bolts/screws?

On my Mars board the south bridge cooler (4 screws) that hold down were protruding the face, and only the screwheads were touching the cooler block, needless to so they had the treatment.

HDCHOPPER
08-26-2008, 07:43 AM
ya grungero yer sh*t gotta be FLAT ;) and as5 is a little sceary for chipset cooling (conductive) use creamique or mx-2 or normal paste for chipset & mosfet cooling anything nonconductive fore shure

and adding a fan to the rear of the nb helps too just ty wrap one on :)

jolliffee
08-26-2008, 09:37 AM
How easy is it to remove the NB, I tried but it seemed to be on very tight; is it just the two screws holding it on the BlackOps?

negev
08-26-2008, 09:58 AM
Jolliffee, you have to remove the entire assembly, 2 screws under the northbridge 2 under the south bridge and four under the mosfets.

The pic above makes it look like the top of the northbridge just clips off but it doesn't, you have to remove the entire assembly then there are four hidden screws underneath the northbridge block which you need to remove before you can take the top off.

jolliffee
08-26-2008, 10:57 AM
Jolliffee, you have to remove the entire assembly, 2 screws under the northbridge 2 under the south bridge and four under the mosfets.

The pic above makes it look like the top of the northbridge just clips off but it doesn't, you have to remove the entire assembly then there are four hidden screws underneath the northbridge block which you need to remove before you can take the top off.

Opps! Thanks for the tip, I nearly gave it a big lever with a screwdriver!!:confused:

negev
08-26-2008, 11:04 AM
Yeah I came pretty close to that too ;)

negev
08-26-2008, 01:02 PM
FINALLY some progress!

3.33GHz stable for 5 hours (so far) with P95, hopefully tomorrow i can get it higher!

:D :D :D :D