PDA

View Full Version : Twisting tubing

Zaskar
08-24-2008, 11:08 AM
Just wondering if its safe to semi twist tubing to get it to semi S shaped offset bends. It stops you from having to have 1 half of the tubing length from bending against its natural bend but puts a little bit of twisting torque on the barbs (depending on which way you do it, it could want to make the barbs tighter or loser, for now assume its looser)

Is it safe for the tube or barb? Can that torque over time loosen the barb?

IanY
08-24-2008, 11:34 AM
If you go 1/4 turn further with a wrench, I don't see that happenning.

I assume those who hand tighten their compressions also use brute force, hopefully.

sirheck
08-24-2008, 11:40 AM
Setting here twisting my spare (approx) 10 inch tygon silver tubing
i can get a 1/4 turn or 90 degrees out of it pretty easy.

Trying for a half turn seems to be a bit too much.:shrug:

Zaskar
08-24-2008, 11:42 AM
If you go 1/4 turn further with a wrench, I don't see that happenning.

I assume those who hand tighten their compressions also use brute force, hopefully.

Cool I should be fine then, tightened the BP Fatboy barbs as much as I could by hand, then placed a piece of tube over and tightened the max I could (around another 1/4, maybe slightly more)

Blkout
08-24-2008, 11:44 AM
You can do it as long as the tubing has rigidity. Softer tubing will eventually collapse from the bend. I've had Tygon tubing do it when I applied some rotational bend.

IanY
08-24-2008, 11:45 AM
Yeah.. don't try a lot more 1/4 turn lol 1/2 would be risky because the o-rings may deform in a weird way.

sirheck
08-24-2008, 11:49 AM
Depending on which part you are trying to twist.
Turn/twist the tube so it tightens the barb for the cpu or gpu waterblock
and loosens the barb for the radiator.

I would feel better cranking the barbs a little tighter on a radiator than a cpu or gpu block.

MpG
08-24-2008, 01:56 PM
Yeah, watch out for the thin-walled Tygon - it may twist fine when you're setting the loop up, but once a little heat gets into the coolant, it just collapses on itself and you find yourself trying to find ways to fix the problem without draining the whole loop first. The thicker stuff isn't quite so bad, but it can still happen.

Conversely, more rigid tubing may twist safely, but the tubing may transfer the torque to whatever waterblock it's attached to, which can lead to mounting problems on waterblocks with no backing plate (i.e. chipset blocks, especially).

septim
08-25-2008, 04:14 AM
i don't see any problems there, so long as your tubing don't come off or cause any leaks where ever...