PDA

View Full Version : New Laptop: Asus G50V-A2 [impressions/features]

Serra
08-24-2008, 12:23 AM
The other day I picked up a new laptop. I didn't particularly want a gaming laptop, but I was looking for a 15" screen and a whole lot of horsepower and it turns out that if that's what you're looking for a gaming laptop is what you pretty well have to buy. That's OK though, the added GPU heat is surprisingly small. Anyway, I'm quite satisfied with it so I thought I'd take some time to deliver a quick micro review and generate some awareness for this new Asus series.

Oh, and did I mention it's overclockable without voiding the warranty?

Anyway, what I got was an Asus G50V-A2 and I'm posting a mini review to let you know what I think of it. Here are the specs:
- CPU: Intel C2D T9500 (2.5GHz, 35w TDP) [stock overclockableto 2.78GHz]
- GPU: Geforce 9700M, 512MB dedicated GDDR3
- RAM: 4GB (2x2GB) PC2-6400, 6-6-6-18.
- Screen: 15.4" 1680x1050 "glossy type" widescreen LCD (glare isn't that bad)
- HDD: Dual 200GB 7200rpm drives, configurable in RAID-0 [I will be swapping out one of the hard drives for a 64GB OCZ Core Series SSD]
- ODD: 2x Blu-Ray reader / DVD writer
- Ports: 4x USB, 1x HDMI, 1x eSATA, 1x Firewire, 1x TV tuner, speaker ports
- Wireless: Intel b/g/n
- Weight: A bit over 6lbs
- Warranty: 2-year overnight replacement
- Price: ~$1930 CAD

Goodies it comes with:
- Alone in the Dark (an effing TERRIBLE game, but runs very smoothly)
- Re-branded MX518 gaming mouse
- "Republic of Gamers" branded backpack

I have a camera, but stock pictures are better than the ones I can take:
I'm taking the easy way out & linking to a retailer for pics (http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=32615&vpn=90N-SPYA8Q35286KQL0Y%20&manufacture=ASUS)

Looks / First Impressions
So OK, the look is a little controversial. It does indeed have an orange trim, but it looks better than I thought it would. It also has LED bling on the top cover and all around the mousepad, but you can turn off the annoying bling on the top and the mousepad LED's look good. A cool feature of this laptop is that it has a small OLED screen between the keyboard and LCD. It's not terribly useful, but you can use it to keep track of CPU/RAM usage, just display a note, or even notify you of IM's and e-mail.

The screen is quite firmly attached with very little wiggle on the hinges. I was a little disappointed to see there are no latches to hold the screen down to the chassis when closed, but it stays down pretty well regardless.

The keyboard layout is excellent. The biggest benefit I see is that it includes a full number pad without minimizing all the other keys and, of course, has many convenient shortcuts using a function key. For gamers who don't understand how WASD works, it has the arrow equivalents posted on those keys.

Before we even boot into the OS, there is an option to just wave your hand over an LED-lighted key next to the power button to enter an embedded mini linux variant that gives you immediate ability to surf the web, play some terrible flash games, use Skype, or listen to music/watch videos. True to advertising, it does only take a little over 10 seconds to get loaded (though sadly the native/max resolution of this embedded linux is not the native resolution of the LCD).

Booting Up / Playing Around
Once I got all the Vista set-up stuff out of the way I noticed two things: the next boot-up was very fast for a laptop, and according to the CPU utilization LCD, Vista bootup only makes use of 1 core (?).

The Asus features are pretty cool. The best one is the Direct Console 2.0 - it lets you turn off the LED's you don't want to have on, change your power profile, and - most importantly - lets you overclock the thing up to 2.78GHz (which is doubly cool when you realize you keep your warranty).

One strange thing I quickly noticed though was that Asus decided to partition both hard drives for you. I don't quite understand why, but both hard drives have been broken into two equal 90-some GB partitions.

Final Thoughts
Ok, this has been really brief so far but it's all you're getting for now. In terms of real-world performance, I'm not much of a gamer but I did set up the game they gave me with it - Alone in the Dark - and it ran very smoothly on this laptop. What's more impressive is that although the CPU display read as full load (and presumably the GPU was at least somewhat loaded) the fan was so quiet I couldn't hear it over the ambient noises the game was making. What probably helps with this is that there is an 80mm intake vent under the notepad itself.

I don't really know what else to say with only another minute or so before I have to go. You know what, it has a very good LCD that I haven't been able to notice ghosting on, a full-size keyboard with a complete number pad, a great CPU (for a laptop), a great GPU (for a laptop), comes with 4GB of DDR2-800, a 64-bit OS, Blu-Ray drive, dual 7200rpm hard drives that you can configure in RAID-0, and some slick looking options such as the OLED screen and brush-over hotkeys. For the price/size, it's a powerhouse.

Downsides? There are a few. Most notably is battery life. In high performance mode it claims I get a little over an hour of battery life doing general desktops tasks like web browsing (though I do keep it in high performance mode). Next downside is the crazy partition system they decided to come up with... I just don't understand why they would do it. My third and final downside is that the touchpad only has left and right buttons - as someone who enjoys firefox I've gotten used to using a third button for tabbed browsing (though, in fairness, they do give you a mouse with the laptop).

If anyone has any particular questions about this laptop, just let me know. I'm not posting a lot these days but I do read through regularly.

m0da
08-27-2008, 11:16 AM
great price. GREAT!
T9500, 4gb, 9700m, dual 200gb hdd, 2xblu-ray. great price. not TOO heavy either

ZL1Killa
09-30-2008, 10:41 AM
I love it. I recently just bought one and have absolutely no complaints. Got mine from newegg, ALSO IF YOU REGISTER IT WITHIN 60 DAYS YOU GET 2 YEAR Accidental damage warranty FREE!!! and newegg had it for 100$ off due to recent specials.

Oh, and did I mention it's overclockable without voiding the warranty?
One strange thing I quickly noticed though was that Asus decided to partition both hard drives for you. I don't quite understand why, but both hard drives have been broken into two equal 90-some GB partitions.

Final Thoughts
In terms of real-world performance, I'm not much of a gamer but I did set up the game they gave me with it - Alone in the Dark - and it ran very smoothly on this laptop. What's more impressive is that although the CPU display read as full load (and presumably the GPU was at least somewhat loaded) the fan was so quiet I couldn't hear it over the ambient noises the game was making. What probably helps with this is that there is an 80mm intake vent under the notepad itself.

If anyone has any particular questions about this laptop, just let me know. I'm not posting a lot these days but I do read through regularly.

Yeh, the 4x90gb partitioned hard drives I don't get. Why not just use xx.xx for windows and leave the rest for all your programs and such???
Keep It Simple Stupid.

About the fan system on this thing, I don't know if anyone has opened it up, I did when I replaced the RAM with some better from G.Skill ;) and did notice a difference.

The 80mm fan hole has NO FAN, HOWEVER, with cooling technology coming into the 21st and 22nd century (don't i sound cool ;) ) ASUS has implemented a neat little trick that they have used with their other units also:

If you look on the bottom of the laptop, you will see this 80mm fan "grill", and if you get to looking and poking around it is entirely non-functional for its "thought purpose". If you pull off your cover to replace ram, you will find out that this entire 80mm hole is sealed. What you will notice on the bottom of the laptop is other "grill" areas, that have slots.

How ASUS does it is they have the "similar" fan design to ATI GPUs, the fan pulls air from the slots through the entire laptop and out over a copper heatsink cooling multiple things at once.

and you will also notice if you open it up that it is a heatpipe design.

;)

I also did the Turbo Extreme in the gamers console thing, and I actually saw 3ghz... will try and post picture of its highest clock. I can also take pictures of taking the bottom off if anyone wants to see

hope this helps some of you wondering about this system.

Klarko
09-30-2008, 12:45 PM
Well my new PC gamer mag. gave it a 84%...

Ups: auxiliary desplay, awesome warrenty; nearly "instant-on" ExpressGate feature more exciting then free ice cream.
Downs: Price/Peformance ratio is behind the curve; tricky keyboard; low battery life; 5,400 RPM

Serra
09-30-2008, 08:59 PM

Ups: auxiliary desplay, awesome warrenty; nearly "instant-on" ExpressGate feature more exciting then free ice cream.
Downs: Price/Peformance ratio is behind the curve; tricky keyboard; low battery life; 5,400 RPM

I'll admit the price:performance isn't on par with what you get from most laptops, but at the same time the price for the performance bracket is on par with or ahead of anything else you'll find.

The keyboard I've found to be fine save one very annoying feature: the dot (period) on the number pad (separate from that of the keyboard) is above the 7 instead of down on the bottom like it is on a full keyboard. For most people this won't make any difference, but when you spend as much time typing IP addresses as I do you'll be bothered by it. Seriously though, I gave up my desktop by sending it to a closet to emulate routers and purchased this laptop to use to access it via SSH command shell. I probably try to type on it for a number of hours every day and find the keys are pleasantly soft yet without any wiggle.

Battery life is actually surprisingly good (considering the hardware), *if* you're willing to sacrifice speed. On battery saving mode I pull a smidgen over 3 hours on this puppy, which I think is pretty darn good.

The hard drives are a bit low-speed, though you do get 2 you can RAID-0. Still, if you're like me and go temporarily insane you can always just sacrifice one HDD and pop in a SSD drive and use the other for storage.

I do have one new complaint, though it isn't really with the laptop itself. It seems the components are effectively too new for the Linux community, so if you're looking to dual-boot and want *all* features to work you're pretty well SOL for another ~4-6 months at least.

ZL1Killa
10-01-2008, 06:08 AM

I NEVER, NEVER listen to PC mags... people are paid to review and rate items and such, I'm not saying I don't read them but I use XS.org for my information and knowledgebase. I also keep up with what is coming out...and guess how i do that... XS.org ;) KUDOS

What do you talk about 5,400RPM hard drive? the G50V-A2 that we are talking about from what I see on Newegg and on ASUS has a 7200RPM hard drive (2x200gb) ??
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220377&Tpk=g50v-a2

I also see no current better graphics card(ed) laptop, unless you speak about twin 8700s or twin 9800s (haven't seen yet)

I played CRYSIS WARHEAD at my resolution yesterday on this laptop with my laptop cooler on the bottom blowing air up to attempt to keep it cooler than it would have been, and it did.

Got on crysis warhead, checked graphic settings and such, and at my resolution (will verify this afternoon after work) I played at 40FPS, laptop didn't even stutter, even with me throwing grenades around like crazy and people running everywhere.

According to RealTemp (intels equivalent of Coretemp for AMD) my temps of the CPU were 65 C and 67 C !!!!!!!! JEEEEEESH - and that was on fully overclocked (turbo extreme) mode.
To me thats a little hot....but who knows with all these new items. Maybe instead of accidental damage warranty it will go under melted from the factory warranty **That is IF, IF RealTemp is accurate. and it was blowing some hot ass air out of it. Will measure the air with my thermocouple tonight ;) I love being an eletrical engineer

EneergE
10-01-2008, 04:55 PM
I also have this laptop, except I have the ASUS G50V-A1 model with the T9400 CPU. So far, it has been the best laptop I've ever owned. It's super fast and runs Vista flawlessly (after a some disabling of services).

The only thing I have to criticize is I cannot get the Direct Console 2.0 to work on mine. A lot of people over on notebookreview.com has had the same problem. Not real sure what the deal is. Nevertheless, everything else seems to be almost perfect. Was able to undervolt it to 0.9625V without sacrificing any performance!

I think what makes this laptop stand out is its raid capabilities. Awesome little laptop. The orange trim is a refreshing new look, imo, also.

~ EneergE

BreeSpree
10-02-2008, 01:36 PM
Never listen to PC Mags, they get paid to say what they say.
As for the overclocking ability, does it affect battery power much? Even with high performance custom laptops that use desktop based processors, it is hard to overclock while not destrying battery life, and overloading the heatpipes.
I have always been a fan of ASUS notebooks, I think they are beutiful, and some of the best looking. There not too heavy, and serve thier purpose perfectly. The new RoG notebooks look fantastic, only thing that gets me is the price to performance. In my opinion, however, nothing beats ASUS build quality.

ZL1Killa
10-05-2008, 10:46 AM
yeh the quality here is freaking awesome. and to have a 2 year accidental damage warranty is freaking sweeeeet!!

I will post up some pics and such.

I have an ANTEC laptop cooler under mine and it keeps it pretty cool, RealTemp says she gets 65 C and 67C for both cores.... thats pretty durn hot, and that was after 1.5hrs of gameplay; so I would guess its rock solid and fine ;)

vengance_01
10-20-2008, 03:39 PM
Makes me want to ditch my desktop. Rarely play any games and would like the mobile factor in the next few months.

Xcel
11-08-2008, 03:47 AM
Can it output 2560x1600 and is there a HDMI to Dual-link DVI adapter?
I've googled for quite a while but can't find a final answer. Seems like the laptop has HDMI 1.3 which should support 2560x1600, but I don't have a clue if it would work or not. HMDI->Dual DVI ->30" without scaler

btw have you swapped out on of the HDs for a SSD already? Good read anyways, I just happened to check out the same laptop today before reading this thread.

Anemone
11-08-2008, 12:21 PM
Thanks Serra for the VERY even handed review, both pro's and con's.

Seems like a very good bang for the buck, looking at the prices out there.