PDA

View Full Version : Water, ASIII, and Other Water Cooling Questions

Svenn
07-25-2002, 10:24 AM
Okay, a few quick questions. I've got everything in now but my case and cpu block which shouldn't be long now. Specs are in my sig.
1. Do I use ASIII for the CPU, NB, and GPU blocks?
2. What's the thing to use with Water Wetter and Fluorescent dye? Distilled water? Tap water? What effects do these have?
3. I don't have a resevoir so what's the best way to fill the line? Should I get a T or Y fitter for filling? Submerse the pump until filled?
Thanks a bunch. I'm a watercooling virgin, but not for long :)

dmitriyaz
07-25-2002, 11:50 AM
watercooling virgin...bahahahahaa!!!
ne ways,
1) yes
2) if you are buying dye and/or water wetter or other additives, use distilled water, and add additives following the directions on the bottle. as for dye, do the same, and if its good dye, you need just a tiny bit of it and your water will still be very bright.
3) i dont know how exactly you are planning to set it up, i am sure YOU do :) . search google for guides on watercooling and pick whichever applies to your setup the best.

Svenn
07-25-2002, 11:57 AM
Okay, here's what I'm thinking. Submerse the pump (Eheim 1250) in tub of water. Turn on. When water is flowing all the way through the setup and out the other end, hook hose to pump? I keep seeing things about bleeding though, what is it and do I need to do it?

dmitriyaz
07-25-2002, 12:09 PM
bleeding is getting the air completely out of the system.
i can't tell you this, because i am not sure.
i am in the process on building a waterchiller out of a 850w dehumidifier (oh yeah :D ), and i decided i am not gonna waste money on radiators etc., stuff that i will not use after i get my waterchiller running anyway. so i didn't exactly set one up yet, so don't rely on what i say there.
sorry i wasn't much help :(

Bulldog
07-27-2002, 01:30 PM
I suggest ,Distillied water, plus water wetter+ whatever dye you choose for color. Bleeding the system means removing ALL air bubbles My suggestion is to assemble entire system fill with water ++ and run for 24 hours to check for leaks look at pump base to see if any bubbles accumlate there...I have used a y in the past for filling upper end of 1 side I attach a long hose and fill from above and cap off end when done.....and yes to AS3

Leo
07-27-2002, 04:14 PM
The easiest way to fully prime/bleed a system is to construct a Du-bro type reservoir. It keeps the system inline and makes bleeding a breeze. By placing a Du-bro at the highest part of your cooling system, all the air bubbles effectively work their way up to the Du-bro where they then dissipate. Worked like a charm with my old 3-1/226w pelt setup.

Instruction to construct one are at http://www.ocmodshop.com/res.asp

Here's a Du-bro reservoir in use:
http://www.procooling.com/articles/html/project__the_rock-_page_5.shtml

As for AS3, you should use it anywhere a heatsink or waterblock is attached if possible. Basically anywhere where maximum contact for heat dissipation purposes is needed.

Use distilled water, it's not very expensive and is generally free from the many impurities of tap water; though I have seen people use tap water without a problem thanks to the effects of Water Wetter.

Svenn
07-27-2002, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Svenn
Okay, here's what I'm thinking. Submerse the pump (Eheim 1250) in tub of water. Turn on. When water is flowing all the way through the setup and out the other end, hook hose to pump? I keep seeing things about bleeding though, what is it and do I need to do it?

Leo, Using that method wouldn't get all the bubbles out?

Leo
07-27-2002, 04:47 PM
From what I've seen no not really. Nick aka DisposableHero tried that and it sucked in a bunch of air right as he stuck the hose on, even though the pump was completely submerged. I don't think it was some freak occurence either. I mean, if it was that easy to prime/bleed a system, why would anyone add heat to their water by using a submersible system or go through the trouble of making things like Du-bro reservoirs and air traps :)?

Svenn
07-27-2002, 04:58 PM
Hmm, did he connect it while both the hose and pump were under water or did he try to pull the pump up? I dunno, I'll see how it comes out and add reservoir/air trap as needed.

Leo
07-27-2002, 05:27 PM
Underwater, the entire system was fully primed in a submersible state when he tried to connect the hose. It's hard to explain in words but when you see it happen for yourself, it'll be pretty evident what the problem is.

Svenn
07-27-2002, 05:32 PM
Interesting, how is it possible for it to suck in a bunch of air, if there is no air to be sucked in?

Leo
07-27-2002, 05:38 PM
Well it's not sucking in tons of air, you'll just see lots of small air bubbles here and there. It's the velocity of the water and the impeller of the pump I believe. You'll see it when you get your system up and running and try it. Like I said, if it were that easy, why would we even need submersible systems, air traps and reservoirs? If you figure out a way to get it to work let us know.

Silversink
07-27-2002, 05:54 PM
Okay, a few quick questions. 1. Do I use ASIII for the CPU, NB, and GPU blocks?
2. What's the thing to use with Water Wetter and Fluorescent dye? Distilled water? Tap water? What effects do these have?

Let me answer your Dye question to save you a few Dollars

I have Tested 3 types

D-Teks UV green Dye $15

Dye Lite ALL in One Dye $6 bought on the internet from an Auto supplier

InterDynamicsFlourescent Leak Detector Dye $5.99 from Auto Zone

Basicly the InterDynamics Flourescent Dye glows about twice as bright as all the rest, dont waste your money spending $15 at D-Tek or elsewhere, go to AutoZone

I'll post some pictures proving my claims later. ;)

Svenn
07-27-2002, 06:14 PM
Well Silversink, I already orderd the dye. Oh well, I tested it and it seems to be pretty bright. I did get 2 for hte price of 1 though... I thought they sent me yellow/green instead of the clear/blue so they sent me another, and it ended up when I put it into water it was clear/blue.... Oh well.

Silversink
07-27-2002, 06:28 PM
Well Silversink, I already orderd the dye. Oh well, I tested it and it seems to be pretty bright. I did get 2 for hte price of 1 though... I thought they sent me yellow/green instead of the clear/blue so they sent me another, and it ended up when I put it into water it was clear/blue.... Oh well.

Svenn,

I have more than I need, I'll try to find some small vials and send you or anyone else some and add a few drops and make it glow even brighter ;)

I'll try to find some vials Monday

Svenn
07-27-2002, 06:32 PM
Excellent. Just leave me a PM if you got any extra.

King_of_qb
07-27-2002, 08:26 PM
http://www.procooling.com/articles/...4.shtml#H2OCool

this is a good place for info

Nohto
08-10-2002, 12:55 PM
THIS LINK SHOULD WORK BETTER. (http://www.procooling.com/)