PDA

View Full Version : Nikon Garbage.. Help needed

bullet2urbrain
08-20-2008, 06:03 AM
Hey,

So i went on a trip to Niagara falls, the canadian side. took some pics, with my El Cheapo Nikon, its a PAShoot, that takes AA Batts to give an idea of quality.

Anyway there is 3 shot choices, one being Single, the other being continuous and the other being 16 burst, i took some photos on 16 burst thinking that i could stitch them and make a panorama of the falls.

however, it actually takes 16 small images and creates a single image file, so how do i take that single image file, seperate into 16 small pictures and then stitch, and please dont say i have to crop/seperate by hand.

any software or advice you can post would be appreciated, and maybe i'll post some of my rookie shots in this thread when i have time this Sunday night.

twilyth
08-20-2008, 06:11 AM
I don't think I can help, but I have a couple questions that might be useful to others.

How is the image(s) stored? If it's jpeg, I don't think you can have multiple images in one file like you can with tif for example. In that case, maybe there is software that recognized the boundaries and can isolate each image. Have you checked for downloads on the Nikon web site? Just an idea. The manufacturer usually will have software that supports specialized features like that.

Just out of curiosity, how does burst mode work? I thought it took 16 images in rapid sequence. If so, how do you get a panorama out of that unless you're moving the camera quickly at the same time?

Dave_Sz
08-20-2008, 12:08 PM
El Cheapo Nikon, its a PAShoot, that takes AA Batts to give an idea of quality.

huh? What does that have to do with quality of a product? That is the dumbest, most ignorant thing i've read today. So you'd rather spend $40 on a proprietary battery rather than $10 on a set of rechargable AA?

Nate P.
08-20-2008, 08:12 PM
Not sure what your are asking here... you want to separate the pictures just so you can stitch then back together again?

Magnj
08-21-2008, 07:55 AM
Uh, my pentax slr uses AA's what the hell does the battery have anything to do with it. Your camera isn't bad because you don't understand it's features. RTFM.

ShadedNine
08-25-2008, 09:30 PM
I hate to break it to you, but by the time you downloaded, installed and made use of a product that had the ability to automate the task, you could have already cropped each image manually.

+1 on AA batts not meaning anything though. The Canon A80 uses AAs, and I'd put that down as one of the best point & shoot digitals ever made (better than most of the 8-10MP garbage they're spitting out these days).

bullet2urbrain
08-25-2008, 10:00 PM
I don't think I can help, but I have a couple questions that might be useful to others.

How is the image(s) stored? If it's jpeg, I don't think you can have multiple images in one file like you can with tif for example. In that case, maybe there is software that recognized the boundaries and can isolate each image. Have you checked for downloads on the Nikon web site? Just an idea. The manufacturer usually will have software that supports specialized features like that.

Just out of curiosity, how does burst mode work? I thought it took 16 images in rapid sequence. If so, how do you get a panorama out of that unless you're moving the camera quickly at the same time?

The image is stored as one JPEG, thats what im asking for is software to recognize and make new files from the boundary image... the camera does take 16 images quickly and stores them in "presumably some onboard memory" and yes i was moving the camera, i've done this before on Canon's and it worked wonderfully.

huh? What does that have to do with quality of a product? That is the dumbest, most ignorant thing i've read today. So you'd rather spend $40 on a proprietary battery rather than $10 on a set of rechargable AA?

Okay, well i use Lithium Ion batts properly so over the usable life of a camera i dont need to replace the batteries... and yes, i would rather spend 40$ on a LiOn batt that can charge and discharge ALOT faster than Alkaline AA which slows the camera operation...

Not sure what your are asking here... you want to separate the pictures just so you can stitch then back together again?

Basically, there are 16 pictures in 1 file, i want 1 large panorama.

Uh, my pentax slr uses AA's what the hell does the battery have anything to do with it. Your camera isn't bad because you don't understand it's features. RTFM.

okay!! the AA's in this camera make its operation slow and clunky, where as all the Canon's with LiOn batts are fast and responsive both in amount of time to recharge the flash, and time spent writing to memory card, even @ Higher resolutions... also the features have nothing to do with how long it takes before its able to take another picture.. im sure with your magical SLR you can take upwards of 3 pic's per second, this Nikon im lucky to take 1 frame per 3 seconds, not due to settings due to :banana::banana::banana::banana: camera.. literally, the more i look @ the 16 pictures i took, i dont think a stitch will work properly because the water flow of Niagara falls changed so much in the ~30 seconds it took to capture all 16 images.

I hate to break it to you, but by the time you downloaded, installed and made use of a product that had the ability to automate the task, you could have already cropped each image manually.

+1 on AA batts not meaning anything though. The Canon A80 uses AAs, and I'd put that down as one of the best point & shoot digitals ever made (better than most of the 8-10MP garbage they're spitting out these days).

Fine, if you are all content with AA batts, then so be it, im not here to debate whether LiOn can discharge faster than Alkaline... point being i have 16 pictures in 1 file that i want to stitch... if you can help great.... if not.... piss off

Nate P.
08-26-2008, 09:08 PM
Maybe Nikon provides software for this (check Nikon website and any software that may have been included with the camera). It's probably a proprietary Nikon thing because I've never heard of it.