PDA

View Full Version : BSODs during XP boot up caused from USB dongle

Exahertz
08-19-2008, 04:11 PM
I use a Logitech Wave Laser mouse on my HTPC and every time I reboot I have to remove the dongle from the onboard USB ports or I will always get a BSOD right after POST no matter what port it’s in.
When I remove it I can boot right into windows no problem. All I have to do is re-insert it at the login screen. This OS has been installed for maybe 2 days now, so it’s fresh. I don’t think I had this problem when I was installing drivers, but I "think" it started happening around the time I was updating windows.

Furthermore I installed SP3, but I did replace my BrowseUI.dll file in the System32 folder with the one from the original install (this is done so you still have the address bar in SP3). But I heard some ware that it can cause problems???? I don’t think this is why it’s BSODing right after post though...

I have:

Asus A8V32-SLI deluxe
EVGA 8600 w/ 512mb
AMD FX-53 CPU (not oc'ed)
Windows XP Pro x86

Sorry this post is so long. Main facts and questions are in the first paragraph, but I do have many questions. Does XP try to load USB drivers in the very first few seconds it’s being loaded? And has anyone else had an issue like this?