PDA

View Full Version : Chips on CPU

Keeper
07-24-2002, 09:42 AM
I got busy last night unlocking my XP2200+, after putting it under the magnifier so I could see all the bridges, I noticed small chips on the edge of the chip itself. I did not see them until I put them under the glass. Being this is my first attempt to unlock a CPU, I have never really seen one this close up. Are these little chips common? I know the CPU works as I tested it earlier, but am wondering about it now. There are no cracks in it, just two small chips missing on the one corner and another along the side of the CPU, so small I didn’t see them until they were magnified.

N8
07-24-2002, 10:17 AM
I've never noticed any before, but hey....if it works :)

IFMU
07-31-2002, 11:20 PM
Some of the time a chip in the CPU can kill it. However it does vary on each CPU. Ive seen one that had the smallest chip in 1 corner, dead as a doornail.
However, my 800 Duron has chips in it the size of a freakin rhino, and it still runs like a rock. OC's pretty well too.
Ive also seen a TBird that was slightly chipped, it still ran, but it wouldnt overclock worth a crap.
It all depends on the chip itself. Just varies.
If yours still works, then dont worry about it.
:D

Keeper
08-01-2002, 06:27 AM
This one still works, I have had it @2001, but I am air cooled and was not comfortable with the temps, so I ordered a new fan -TD8038H Tornado 80x38mm Ultra High Speed fan (84.1 CFM). I will see what I can comfortably clock when it gets here.

Thanks