PDA

View Full Version : Questions about coolant and draining

MNX1024
08-18-2008, 09:09 PM
After reading several threads, seems like you guys find distilled water mix with some chemical to be the most efficient. And this was posted in MaxxxRacer's beginners watercooling faq as the best coolant:
1 drop of Spectrus (biocide) + 1 drop of Continuum (corrosion inhibitor) + 1.5oz glycerine (raises water's thermal conductivity co-efficient) to a litre of distilled water according to Hound53. If you can't get that, then Zerex at 5%.
Due to my lack of knowledge, I have no idea what those chemical are and where to get them. I also don't know where to get distilled water too. So it would be nice if someone can post a link or name an actual product so I know where and how to get it.

As for draining, I'm currently using a koolance ex2-750bk. Yes, I know, not the best and not even a custom built, but I can't do anything about it; received it as a birthday present. I do plan to customize it, so any tip would be helpful. Anyway, let's get back on track. Basically I would like to know how to drain and clean it properly. I already have all the water drained out, but some slight bluish coloring are still left(I meant the water). Same for about a good 2-3 ounce of water since I can't get it out of the res because water level isn't high enough. Any way get those water out?

A bit of off topic questions I need answers to, so I hope you guys don't mind about that. I currently own a DFI LP LT X48-T2R mobo. Is it possible to cool the chipset with a water block? If yes, what water block would you recommend?

Anyway, this currently concludes all the questions I need answers to. Thanks in advance!!!!

roofsniper
08-18-2008, 09:13 PM
a biocide will kill off all bacteria and anything that tries to grow inside your watercooling loop. you can pick up some pt nuke at petra's which will work great or you can get some zerex as well. distilled water can be picked up at a local grocery store.

MNX1024
08-19-2008, 03:09 AM
Thanks for the info.

As for the distilled water, I just walk in and ask for it? How exactly does it look like? It won't be just a bottle of poland spring would it?

Now I just need to know where I can get my hands on Continuum and Glycerine.

A bit off topic, but what thermal paste would you guys recommend?

shabranigdo
08-19-2008, 04:35 AM
You should be able to find the distilled water at the supermarket in the water isle in gallon jugs. Its pretty common used alot for irons etc.

inCore
08-19-2008, 04:42 AM
Thanks for the info.

As for the distilled water, I just walk in and ask for it? How exactly does it look like? It won't be just a bottle of poland spring would it?

Now I just need to know where I can get my hands on Continuum and Glycerine.

A bit off topic, but what thermal paste would you guys recommend?

Depending where you get it, it looks exactly like water but says "Distilled Water" on it. :p:

As thermal paste goes, Arctic Silver 5 is good, as well as Arctic Cooling MX-2. Most others are unnecessary and you'll probably be happy with those.

MNX1024
08-19-2008, 05:58 AM
Thanks for the heads up guys.

What other form can biocide come in beside the pt nuke that petra carries?

Also, anyone know where I can get some zerex beside those in danger den bottles?

orclev
08-19-2008, 06:50 AM
You should forget about the glycerine, it's not needed in a computer water cooling loop.

As for alternative biocides, there's surprisingly few decent over the counter ones, although several people on here have experimented with various "common household chemical" based ideas. There seems to be some merit in using a bit of bleach, but care must be taken with that approach to prevent gaskets and other things from being damaged. Personally, I'd just use PT Nuke, it's got an excellent reputation, and aside from people having problems with sludge when they mix it with some dyes and other additives, it's got few problems (just don't overdo it, a little goes a very long way).

Edit: You also don't need a corrosion inhibitor as long as you're not mixing metals (which is a good idea anyway). The simplest way to do that is to just avoid having any aluminum in your loop, go all copper or copper and brass.

Soulwind
08-19-2008, 06:57 AM
Forget about those fancy receipes for coolant.

All you really need is Distilled Water and a Biocide.

While the glycerine does have some effect upon your loop, it also has a tendency to goop up over time and leave deposits in your blocks.

As long as you aren't mixing metals (primarily Copper and Aluminum are the main culprits), you don't really even need to worry about anti-corrosion additives.

If you do decide to add anti-corrosion, most folks seem to use Pentosin (which is just anti-freeze/anti-corrosion for a volkswagon).

You DO need a biocide (unless you're running with a dark machine..no lighting and no clear panels, then you can get away without it, but it's still kind of recommended).

Most folks use PT-Nuke as it's cheap and easy to get from petra's shop. However, pretty much any commercial biocide (anti-bacterial/anti-algae) for aquariums will work.

So for most of us here: distilled water + pt-nuke = coolant

(then some folks like to add various dyes or uv additives...others prefer not to stain thier tubing/blocks/res's and to avoid any risk of goop buildup since the dyes can preciptate out as well)

Regardless, you'll still need to drain and clean your loops every once in awhile, but with just dw+nuke you can go a lot longer between cleanings. I'm going on 6 months with no problems (although I'll probably do a cleaning soon as I need to replace a part and may as well do the cleaning at the same time) and I've seen reports of a year+ between cleanings.

MNX1024
08-19-2008, 07:09 AM
Well, I'm not too sure if I'm mixing metal or not, so it would be nice if you guys can judge for me. You already know what water cooling system I'm using. I'm switching my current cpu block to a swiftech apogee gtz.

Now, think someone can recommend me a good chipset water block(if one can fit into my new mobo).

orclev
08-19-2008, 07:38 AM
It should be fairly simple to determine if you're mixing metals or not as any quality watercooling product should tell you what it's made out of. The GTZ is copper for instance, as are almost all waterblocks worth owning. Only place you really see aluminum is in some reservoirs, and a few motherboards that come with a waterblock from the factory (I believe some of the RoG motherboards are like this). Also make sure to double check the fittings you're using, they shouldn't be aluminum, but you never know. As an aside, nickel plated aluminum is fine, although copper or brass is better.

On the topic of TIM, AS5 has a proven track history and a fairly safe choice. I've never used MX-2, but I've also heard very good things about it so it's a pretty good option as well. I'm getting ready to try out IC Diamond 7 based primarily on some reviews I read on here (in particular I was impressed that CyberDruid recommended it) and I'm anticipating good results from it.

MNX1024
08-19-2008, 08:11 AM
As for biocide, is something like this alright?
http://www.aquariumguys.com/algaeliquid.html
I mean, I won't be ordering anymore stuff on the internet for a while, so pt nuke is going to have to be delayed until a month from now. So basically I need a replacement for the moment.

MNX1024
08-19-2008, 02:32 PM
Ok, just went into duane read today(a chain grocery store) and they directed me to freaking poland spring and other bottle water when I asked for distilled water. So, do I get those or actual distilled water use for medical purpose?

ShadedNine
08-19-2008, 02:42 PM
Ok, just went into duane read today(a chain grocery store) and they directed me to freaking poland spring and other bottle water when I asked for distilled water. So, do I get those or actual distilled water use for medical purpose?

You should try and find distilled water. While bottled water will be far 'softer' than tap, it still contains a good amount of dissolved solids (because it's healthier, pure distilled is bad for you). Grocery stores with a pharmacy, or other drug stores should generally sell jugs of distilled water.

orclev
08-19-2008, 02:42 PM
Your best bet is to go into a pharmacy or drug store. I'd be a little wary of the bottled waters, because even the distilled ones are likely to have minerals and such added back in to improve the taste. A really pure water is often perceived as having a sharp or harsh taste so most bottled water companies add minerals to it, which is exactly what you don't want. Of course, if you can't find anything better, it's still probably better than tap water.

roofsniper
08-19-2008, 03:03 PM
idk bottled water might be worse than tap water. the fact is distilled water is nearly everywhere you shouldn't have a problem finding it.

MNX1024
08-19-2008, 03:13 PM
Thanks. Guess only distilled water works. Oh well, so far I'm not having too much luck finding it since not much pharmacy around me carry it. And stores like duane reade don't have it and I can't find it listed on websites from these stores(eg: cvs, rite aide).

I'm still having a bit of trouble looking for biocide because I can't get my hands on PT Nuke at the moment or any time soon. So basically, should I get something similar to this as a replacement for now?:

If someone know where I can get some zerex racing super coolant in NYC, be nice if you can tell me.

Also, yea, I need some recommendation on a northbridge water block for my dfi board. Don't want to make an extra thread just for this.

lyl
08-19-2008, 03:13 PM
Thanks for the info.

http://www.chemistryland.com/CHM107Lab/Exp03_DetectOzone/OzoneLab/DistilledWater.jpg

roofsniper
08-19-2008, 03:41 PM
I'm still having a bit of trouble looking for biocide because I can't get my hands on PT Nuke at the moment or any time soon. So basically, should I get something similar to this as a replacement for now?:

distilled water may also be called deionized water as well. that biocide you found should probably work fine but if you get zerex you shouldn't need it. you can get zerex at http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2734 im not sure about how you can get it locally tho. auto parts stores will probably have it.

MomijiTMO
08-19-2008, 03:45 PM
Actually most distilled water isn't actually from distillation. I find this hilarious. I've looked at a couple of 'Distilled water" to find on the side that it is double deionized LOL.

It seriously doesn't matter if you change your water frequently.

C'DaleRider
08-19-2008, 03:51 PM
Actually most distilled water isn't actually from distillation. I find this hilarious. I've looked at a couple of 'Distilled water" to find on the side that it is double deionized LOL.

It seriously doesn't matter if you change your water frequently.

Odd....the gallons I have been buying all say they're from steam distillation....which is distilled, not deionized, water.

Waterlogged
08-20-2008, 12:36 AM
MNX, Do you have any Walgreens near you? That's where I buy my distilled (and it's true distilled). Also, if you have a Petsmart around as well, stop by there and pick up a bottle of this (http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753425). I've been using it for about 2½-3 yrs now with no problems (or growth ;)). It only takes a drop or two per loop to keep thing clear.

Skauneboy
08-20-2008, 12:57 AM
All this scepticism towards glycerine makes me wanna give it a go. :D

5cl glycerine + 1 drop PT Nuke to 1l distilled will be my next coolant. I'll just have to remember not to replace the water with a 50/50 mix of sulfuric acid and nitric acid.