PDA

View Full Version : Swiftech/Apogee Backplate issues?

gillbot
08-18-2008, 12:54 PM
On my last mount I heard a LOUD crack when mounting my Apogee GT to the backplate. I was afraid to pull it off since my temps were ok and the system was still running fine. Well, I had to swap CPU's today and I finally got the nerve to dismount the block and check to see what cracked.

After looking and looking, I couldn't find out the problem until I tried to mount the block to the backplate. One of the holes in the backplate has the threads all screwed up. Is this a common occurrence with these backplates? I bet I've only made 5-7 mounts on this and the threads look like they are barely there but it's only on one of the holes, the rest look fine. :shrug:

NaeKuh
08-18-2008, 01:01 PM
you tightened it too much that you wore the thread out gill.

If it mounts fine, its okey, if it slips you need a new plate.

gillbot
08-18-2008, 01:16 PM
I can assure you it was NOT overtightened or cross threaded as I use a jewelers screwdriver to ensure I don't overtorque. It looks as though the threads were not cut or were cut shallow. (Shallow meaning the depth of the thread itself, not the depth of the hole. ie: they made 1 pass with a tap but never finished tapping) There are no shavings or threads in the screw so I didn't pull the threads out.

orclev
08-18-2008, 01:19 PM
This (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3223733&postcount=98) might or might not be relevant. He's referring to quality issues with the backplate on the GTX, but it might apply to yours as well. Sounds like a similar issue.

Edit: You might want to try sending him a PM anyway, maybe he can help you get a replacement backplate if this is in fact a quality control issue.

gillbot
08-18-2008, 03:35 PM
I already bought a replacement kit from Swiftech but I haven't opened it yet. It's just aggravating as I don't want this to be repeated.

Movieman
08-18-2008, 03:40 PM
I already bought a replacement kit from Swiftech but I haven't opened it yet. It's just aggravating as I don't want this to be repeated.

Some advice from an old fart?
Crap happens in life and don't let it get to you.
Send Gabe a "polite" note on this and ask him if this has been an issue.
The key is polite.
There is an old expression that "You get more with honey than with vinegar"
Very,very true when dealing with companies.
Always take the high road and overall you will do better.
Good luck to you.

gillbot
08-18-2008, 04:10 PM
I am not holding anything against gabe and IMHO, there is no need for me to contact him as I already have a replacement. I'm just looking for others' opinions on these backplates to see if it's common or if it's an isolated incident. If it's a rare occurrence, EXCELLENT! I heard a few rumblings about the GTX backplates but I heard that all the swiftech backplates were essentially the same so they could have been crossed over and some Apogee GT's got the bad ones too.

Edit: I sent gabe a PM asking him to chime in.

In-Fluence
04-11-2011, 06:51 AM
Digging up an ancient thread here, but just to report I had the same happen to me a couple of days ago. Not overtightened or screwed in at funnny angles, but after a couple of years (and with a max of 10 mounts/dismounts) one of these holes has also become threaded and left nice little metal shavings inside my case - lucky I noticed it! I'm not putting this down to Swiftech at all but it'd be nice to see something with proper bolts in the plate for a bit more peace of mind.

I've sent a friendly email to Swiftech's customer support and hope they will be kind enough to help me out (they already supplied a 775 plate for free, hassle free), or I may need to look into buying one... Any recommendations if it comes to this? Phobya one?

DumpALump
04-11-2011, 06:30 PM
had the same thing happen with mine. Heard a crack but didn't bother taking it off. Crack sound wasn't too loud but definitely heard a crack. I think my issue relates to the bolt that holds the cpu socket to the motherboard. I noticed the screw would hit the backplate so i drilled a small hole in the backplate. I might not have drilled a large enough hole so it still slightly touches on a small part of the back plate. I didn't have this issue with my old mobo. My new mobo is a p8p67 pro.

In-Fluence
04-12-2011, 03:53 AM
All is well, I've just got to wait for the European distributors to get back to me. It appears there was a common fault with a certain batch of these plates so I'm glad michelle was able to help out (I'm quite certain she sorted my 775 backlplate too). Like Movieman said - politeness will get you everywhere! :)

Movieman
04-12-2011, 01:23 PM
All is well, I've just got to wait for the European distributors to get back to me. It appears there was a common fault with a certain batch of these plates so I'm glad michelle was able to help out (I'm quite certain she sorted my 775 backlplate too). Like Movieman said - politeness will get you everywhere! :)

Most times it does and at the very least if someone blows you off you know that you handled it the "right" way and the issue is with them.
I had a pair of XT's that I was planning on using with my SR2 rig but issues with them and the Koolance board block so I gave them to one of the guys on the WCG team.
I did see the potential issue with the backplates and it looks to me that it could be a simple fix at ST end.
On any 1366 boards that come( mostly the dualies) with the backplate already installed to the back of the board the threading is a good 3/16" in the "post" that is attached.
On the ST this is much less and not enough threading for the screws to get a good "grip" to.
Add the threaded post to the ST backplate and solves the issue.