PDA

View Full Version : Custom watercooling, need advices

Lamb
08-17-2008, 05:38 PM
Hey guys!

I was looking over the forums to see what would be needed to build a custom watercooling system. I want ''top-notch'' cooling for the quad-core (Q9550) I want to buy since I plan to overclock as much as possible :).

So the parts would be:

Pump: Liang DDC-2 + EK High-Flow Fitting (G 1/4" Thread, 1/2" OD)
Radioator: Thermochill PA120.1 (will be used with Scythe Ultra Kaze 3000rpm's)
CPU Block: D-Tek Fuzion v2
Reservoir : EK-RES150 Rev.2 + EK Reservir holders
Tubing : Tygon R-3603
Feser : Long Life Red Coolant Additive

Any advice ?

aspire.comptech
08-17-2008, 05:41 PM
If you can afford a 120.1 instead go for a 120.2 or .3

It will offer you a lot more room to grow.

lyl
08-17-2008, 05:48 PM
If you can afford a 120.1 instead go for a 120.2 or .3

It will offer you a lot more room to grow.
+1

And,
Where can you still get DDC2's? You'll need a pump top to put the EK fittings on it

Lamb
08-17-2008, 06:06 PM
I thought about buying at Petra's Tech Shop since it looks to be one good recommended e-tailer on XS, but just seen they where ''out of stock'', another good option instead of the DDC-2?

And since I'm from Canada, If I can find someplace to buy my stock here so I can save money on shipping, I'll do! Can't find alot of watercooling parts @ NCIX, Canada Computer, TigerDirect and such...

lyl
08-17-2008, 06:11 PM
DDC350/DDC355 are good.

NCIXUS has fairly low prices prices compared to other US stores (from what I've seen), I'm surprised NCIX is expensive in CN...
Maybe they get you w/ shipping :confused:

aspire.comptech
08-17-2008, 06:12 PM
I'm pretty sure NCIX has a pretty good selection, could be wrong...

roofsniper
08-17-2008, 06:13 PM
the ddc2 was replaced by the ddc 3.2 which is a much better version. get a ddc 3.2 and get a custom top for it. heres martin's reviews of ddc 3.2 pump tops: http://www.martinsliquidlab.com/DDC32PumpTopTesting.html. also a thermochill 120.3 would be a much better choice than a 120.1.

Lamb
08-17-2008, 06:14 PM
Actually, NCIX, with pricematching, is one of the cheapest e-tailer in Canada, with the best selection since it's the biggest. Even with shipping I can save money buying from NCIX and not from Microbytes (in Quebec) at 5 mins. of my home :P

Shouldnt have problems fitting a 120.3 into my TJ07? (money isnt really a problem)

aspire.comptech
08-17-2008, 06:19 PM
People have fit a lot more than a single 120.3 into a tj07, you just have to sacrifice the bottom hard drive racks.

Lamb
08-17-2008, 06:25 PM
People have fit a lot more than a single 120.3 into a tj07, you just have to sacrifice the bottom hard drive racks.

:shocked:

Lamb
08-18-2008, 03:39 AM
Morning guys :P

So this morning I've been searching with more attention on NCIX if they sold any watercooling stuff, and it seems they actually do! :D

Laing pumps aren't available tho, but there is the Swiftech MCP655, that would do the job with the PA120.3? (which they can also get! :)- I plan to watercool my GPU later too, so the bigger the better ) Would I need to change the barbs and to get a pump top for this one just like the DDC-3.2 to get better performances?

For the CPU block I can get the D-TeK FuZion v.2 no problem there too, they got Tygon R-3603 for tubing, EK High Flow Barbs 1/2" G3/8" as PA120.3 fittings.

''Primochill PC Pure Extreme Water Replacement Coolant 32OZ'' is good to use as the liquid?

My only problem right now would be the reservoir, they don't have the EK ones :( (well they do but only the small one)

So it comes down to these :
Swiftech : http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=20091&vpn=MCRES-MICRO&manufacture=Swiftech
Danger Den : http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=19716&vpn=DDS525BR&manufacture=Danger%20Den

Which one would be the best choice?

BlueAqua
08-18-2008, 04:56 AM
I don't really care for the bay reservoirs and like the Swiftech one. It's simple and effective.

roofsniper
08-18-2008, 08:17 AM
Laing pumps aren't available tho, but there is the Swiftech MCP655

laing are the people that design the pumps swiftech are the people that make them.

Lamb
08-18-2008, 08:36 AM
laing are the people that design the pumps swiftech are the people that make them.

Oh...that's great then :up:

Just one last question;

Which waterblock are to be used on a 4870X2, I've read MCW60's would do with custom screws set from Swiftech...

So far that's what the system would be like from what I have available to me in Canada;

Pump: Swiftech MCP655-B --- 69.99$ (no need of speed adjustement, I'll always have it full speed anyway)
Radiator: Thermochill PA120.3 --- 134.99$ (no barbs comes with it)
Radiator Fitting: EK 1/2IN G3/8 Chrome High Flow Barb - 3.99$/each
CPU Block: D-Tek Fuzion v2 --- 64.99$
GPU Block: Swiftech MCW60 --- 44.99$ x 2 --- 89.98$
Reservoir: Swiftech MCRES-MICRO Clear HI-FLOW --- 19.99$
Tubing: Tygon R-3603 --- 18.99$/5 feets
Feser: Primochill PC Pure Extreme Water Replacement Coolant 32OZ - Blood Red --- 11.99$/bottle

Adding a water filter would be of any use? Any pieces I'd need to add to the list?

aspire.comptech
08-18-2008, 09:10 AM
laing are the people that design the pumps swiftech are the people that make them. :down:

Laing makes all the DDC and D5 pumps among many others. Companies like Swiftech, Danger Den, and Koolance just slap a sticker on them.

Conumdrum
08-18-2008, 09:25 AM
Lets talk liquid. You said you wanted to use ''Primochill PC Pure Extreme Water Replacement Coolant 32OZ''. Why? Many of us have moved to just distilled water and a biocide, it's as effective as any other stuff, cheaper, and less problems with buildup etc. I know what the words say about better cooling, non-conductive, no buildup, yadadada.

But to be honest, unless you need UV or colored water for the bling, please keep it simple. Biocide is a few drops of fish tank stuff or Petras PT Nuke or some provodon Iodine.

5ft of hose mis not enuff. Most loops use more, like 6-8 ft. Get 10 ft for mistakes etc and when you add the GPU WC later.

The non-adjustable pump runs at a speed (GPM etc) of 4. The Vario one runs at a higher speed (GPM etc) at 5. The vario is better. And you really don't need to run it at 5, lots of us can drop it to 3 or so. Being able to drop the flow to help bleed bubbles is nice too.

You will have to buy Air heatsinks for the ram and PWM chips for the GPU card too. Swiftech makes some nice ones. Google your card for aftermarket air and WC reviews, you'll see some nice pics on what I mean.

Good rad, I have one.

Hose clamps. Some swear by zipties, some swear by compression fittings. I use lined wormscrewm hoseclamps. They are cheap, tighten well, and are a great way for a first timer to be safe. You need a min of 10 from what I can see. Get a few extra. And exercise them a few times before you use them, they will tighten easier. And a nutdriver is much easier to use to tighten them than a screwdriver.

New thermal paste. MX-2 is one of the better ones. One tube will do 5-8 chips or so, enuff for you now. There are other compunds that are popular, don't go with cheap stuff.

Lamb
08-18-2008, 09:36 AM
Lets talk liquid. You said you wanted to use ''Primochill PC Pure Extreme Water Replacement Coolant 32OZ''. Why? Many of us have moved to just distilled water and a biocide, it's as effective as any other stuff, cheaper, and less problems with buildup etc. I know what the words say about better cooling, non-conductive, no buildup, yadadada.

But to be honest, unless you need UV or colored water for the bling, please keep it simple. Biocide is a few drops of fish tank stuff or Petras PT Nuke or some provodon Iodine.

5ft of hose mis not enuff. Most loops use more, like 6-8 ft. Get 10 ft for mistakes etc and when you add the GPU WC later.

The non-adjustable pump runs at a speed (GPM etc) of 4. The Vario one runs at a higher speed (GPM etc) at 5. The vario is better. And you really don't need to run it at 5, lots of us can drop it to 3 or so. Being able to drop the flow to help bleed bubbles is nice too.

You will have to buy Air heatsinks for the ram and PWM chips for the GPU card too. Swiftech makes some nice ones. Google your card for aftermarket air and WC reviews, you'll see some nice pics on what I mean.

Good rad, I have one.

Hose clamps. Some swear by zipties, some swear by compression fittings. I use lined wormscrewm hoseclamps. They are cheap, tighten well, and are a great way for a first timer to be safe. You need a min of 10 from what I can see. Get a few extra. And exercise them a few times before you use them, they will tighten easier. And a nutdriver is much easier to use to tighten them than a screwdriver.

New thermal paste. MX-2 is one of the better ones. One tube will do 5-8 chips or so, enuff for you now. There are other compunds that are popular, don't go with cheap stuff.

I just wanted that stuff because it was red, that's it. :ROTF:

But if distilled water is cheaper and works just as great I'll get that since I'll put red cold-cathodes in my case, so it should look like red anyway...

So, just some Perrier and fish tank stuff...simple enough heh...:up:

I bought MX-2 when I bought my TRUE-120, I got plenty left ^^

These ramsinks would do the job? http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=20176&vpn=MC14&manufacture=Swiftech

Conumdrum
08-18-2008, 10:55 AM
Fesser makes some VERY nice colored tubing, and UV to boot. So you can get the best of both worlds, bling and ease of coolant. Distilled water, local Walmart in USA $1 a gallon.
Those HS are fine. Get 2 packs. The 8 are enuff for just the RAM, you also need to do the regulators too. You will have to chop a few down for clearance for the block fittings, good pair of wirecutters do fine. A chainsaw might be fun too! :)

Noticed your gonna get a 4870x2, might need more HS.

Lamb
08-18-2008, 02:32 PM
Fesser makes some VERY nice colored tubing, and UV to boot. So you can get the best of both worlds, bling and ease of coolant. Distilled water, local Walmart in USA $1 a gallon.
Those HS are fine. Get 2 packs. The 8 are enuff for just the RAM, you also need to do the regulators too. You will have to chop a few down for clearance for the block fittings, good pair of wirecutters do fine. A chainsaw might be fun too! :)

Noticed your gonna get a 4870x2, might need more HS.

Theres the MC14's (pack of 8) for the ram and MC21's (pack of 4) for the mosfets, but I need even more MC14's for the regulators...aight, taking notes ;)

ShadedNine
08-18-2008, 02:57 PM
There is an item that contains MC14 * 13 and MC21 * 4:
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=22448&vpn=MC8800%2DSET&manufacture=Swiftech

Furthermore, the Thermochill 120.3 hasn't been in stock for a while now, and may be a while longer before you see it again. Alternatives would be an MCR320 (cheaper, but if you aren't using low speed fans, you won't really notice a difference) or the Feser X-360 (more expensive, basically the same performance, some regard it as more stylish).

Finally, to give you another alternative, the Primochill Primoflex Pro comes in UV Red among other colours and is very highly regarded, comes in typical sizes (3/8, 1/2). As was suggested, use a coloured tubing like this or the Feser, with distilled water and some PT Nuke: http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=25454&vpn=NUKE%2D10&manufacture=Petra%27sTech

Really, the only thing ncix doesn't carry that I was looking for is XSPC (from which I needed a top for the 355), but the shipping on just that from the US wasn't bad at all, and was cheap enough that it incurred no duties.

Finally, there's really no sense in using 3000rpm fans on a 120.1. You'll be better off with 1*MCR320 + 3 Yate Loons in both cooling and noise. Don't forget to pick up a fan controller too.

Lamb
08-18-2008, 05:50 PM
I already had the Ultra Kaze for a while now and plan on using them ;)

I'll probably get http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=19655&vpn=SST-FP33-B&manufacture=Silverstone%20Technology as the fan controller, so it fit with the case and with the Silverstone Floppy Drive enclosure it will be damn sexy :)

Think I'll go with the tubing you told me , http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=21329&vpn=PFLEXP10-34-R&manufacture=Primochill , I luv teh red!

Would the Swiftech radiator perform just as well as the Thermochill? for 80$ less I don't care about something like 3-4 degrees :P

aspire.comptech
08-18-2008, 06:19 PM
No, a swiftech mcr320 is not as good as a pa120.3 by a pretty long shot. But it does cost about a third as much, and performs quite well for the price.

Conumdrum
08-18-2008, 06:26 PM
The TC rads cool better with lower speed fans. It's documented.
http://www.thermochill.com/pa1202.php#Results
yes, thats their web page, but it's been tested by others. Look closely. It's a 120.2 vs a 120x3.
http://www.martinsliquidlab.com/Thermochill-PA-120_3-Review.html
Martins review

So, it comes down to this:
Will your loop be able to cool effectively with a lesser rad? Will it be able to cool with a lesser rad with low speed fans or will you have to run louder higher pressure fans?

As long as your not getting a ATI 4870 x2 a MCR 320 will be fine, the fans might need to be faster. It's your choice I guess. I got a TC rad, money wasn't a big worry. I wanted to be sure the rad I got was enuff. And when I went from a 8800GT to a GTX280, I knew my temps wouldn't suffer much, my CPU went up 2C under load (45C), and I still keep the fans on low at 82F in my room. My PSU fan is the loudest, or is it my HD?

All up to you! The MCR320 will be adequate. TC is better.

That fan controller should be fine. It 'should' be able to handle 3 medium fans on one channel, leaving the other two open for whatever.

Lamb
08-18-2008, 06:32 PM
Oh money isnt a problem at all...but if it's not available at NCIX I'll just find some other place to buy it anyway since it's so much better than the Swiftech one, won't wait 2 months to get it from NCIX ;)

So from what I've been reading, these would perform better with the PA120.3 than the Kaze 3000

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=22644&vpn=D12SL-12&manufacture=Yate%20Loon

Conumdrum
08-18-2008, 06:36 PM
http://www.dangerden.com/store/product.php?productid=205&cat=15&page=1
In stock right now. One of the bestest peeps to work with, they also make awesome GPU FC blocks among other goodies.

Don't forget the fatboy fittings. Very popular, the plastic stock fittings suck.

TC Rads are hard to come by, they could triple their output and still be hard to get.

roofsniper
08-18-2008, 07:02 PM
That fan controller should be fine. It 'should' be able to handle 3 medium fans on one channel, leaving the other two open for whatever.

it says .4A a channel. i know my 1800 rpm zm-f3s run at .35A. as long as your fans use less than .13A then you are fine but i doubt they even have fans that run that low.

Utnorris
08-18-2008, 07:27 PM
Just curious at why you are not considering a XSPC Res top or XSPC top with a MCP355 pump for your loop. Small footprint and great performance.

http://jab-tech.com/Swiftech-MCP-355-12v-DC-Pump-pr-3510.html

http://jab-tech.com/XSPC-Acrylic-Reservoir-for-Laing-DDC-pr-4123.html

Here are some colored tubing so you can run distilled water if you want.

http://jab-tech.com/Primochill-Tube-c-319.html

I didn't see a big difference between using G11 and straight distilled water personanlly.

As far as rads go, I run 2 HD3870x2's with full cover EK water blocks, 1 x XSPC Res top with MCP355 pump and 1 x MCR220 rad. My temps never go above 35-36c (ambient is 25-26c) while playing games, running 3DMark06 or Vantage benchmarks. My second loop is an EK Supreme, a DD NB, XSPC Res top with MCP355 pump and MCR220 rad. This is cooling my QX9650 overclocked to 4Ghz and NB on my Blitz and my temps under OCCT load have yet to exceed 65c, while playing games or doing video conversions and normal day to day stuff it never exceeds 55c. Seriously, I think a lot of people discount the MCR series from Swiftech. My fans are San Denki's at 5v. I personally would save the money and put it towards your hardware.

Just my opinion.

Utnorris

Conumdrum
08-18-2008, 07:38 PM
Ohh ya, with those fans I agree, my bad. In that case since your using those fans already, save the $ and go the MCR 320. It IS a good rad, just not as good as the PA series.

UTNorris, you run NO biocide in your loop? G11 has no biocide. But no worries, not dissin ya. And you run FOUR FANS on each rad? I rest my case about more-capable rads. Yea, I admit, they are on low..... but.......

I'm not worried that a MCR 320 can't handle it, but since the OP hasn't decided on a GPU yet, I want to stress the long term viability of having the most capable rad for future use. You read what the 4870x2 puts out for heat? OMG, amost a fuzion reactor!

If the OP can afford it, go the best, but the MCR 320 would be my next option for sure.

ShadedNine
08-18-2008, 08:00 PM
Would the Swiftech radiator perform just as well as the Thermochill? for 80$ less I don't care about something like 3-4 degrees :P

If you don't care about 3-4 degrees, then I think you'll really want to take a look at the swiftech, because you're only looking at about a degree's difference, depending on your fan speeds. Besides, even if you go dual gpu, if you stick with low restriction blocks, a single MCP355 with a good top will give you enough flow to run 2*MCR320, 2 GPU blocks, and a CPU block, and it should run plenty cool (You can check all of this with Martin's tools).

Utnorris
08-18-2008, 10:35 PM
Ohh ya, with those fans I agree, my bad. In that case since your using those fans already, save the $ and go the MCR 320. It IS a good rad, just not as good as the PA series.

UTNorris, you run NO biocide in your loop? G11 has no biocide. But no worries, not dissin ya. And you run FOUR FANS on each rad? I rest my case about more-capable rads. Yea, I admit, they are on low..... but.......

I'm not worried that a MCR 320 can't handle it, but since the OP hasn't decided on a GPU yet, I want to stress the long term viability of having the most capable rad for future use. You read what the 4870x2 puts out for heat? OMG, amost a fuzion reactor!

If the OP can afford it, go the best, but the MCR 320 would be my next option for sure.

No biocide. and as far as the rads, my point is that it isn't necessary to get the TC's. Yes, if money is no object, then by all means get the TC's, get some velociraptors while your at it and a QX9650 on a Rampage Extreme and DDR3. But the MCR220's would be easily enough for what he is doing, even with dual GPU's and they won't be as thick as the TC's which will make placing them in his case easier.

As far as me running 4 fans per rad, I had them laying around, so why not. Even when I was running only 2, it still was better than the best air coolers available. I also have a MM case, so space is not an issue as it is with 90% of the cases out there.

Again, this is just my opinion and I am not knocking the TC's or the Fesser's, I just think for a third of the price the Swiftech's are a better buy.

Thanks,
Utnorris

Lamb
08-19-2008, 12:22 PM
No biocide. and as far as the rads, my point is that it isn't necessary to get the TC's. Yes, if money is no object, then by all means get the TC's, get some velociraptors while your at it and a QX9650 on a Rampage Extreme and DDR3. But the MCR220's would be easily enough for what he is doing, even with dual GPU's and they won't be as thick as the TC's which will make placing them in his case easier.

As far as me running 4 fans per rad, I had them laying around, so why not. Even when I was running only 2, it still was better than the best air coolers available. I also have a MM case, so space is not an issue as it is with 90% of the cases out there.

Again, this is just my opinion and I am not knocking the TC's or the Fesser's, I just think for a third of the price the Swiftech's are a better buy.

Thanks,
Utnorris

I don't mind spending money on my system up to a certain degree. More than 800$ for a processor, no thanks ;)

I'll consider your advice for the radiator because I seriously, for 80 bucks, don't mind 2-3 degrees like I said and with the Swiftech rad I wouldnt need to buy new fans too.

I'm not on a budget but If I can save money, why not!

Thanks everyone for all the helpful advices! Will probably help me to choose easier ^.^