PDA

View Full Version : Moutning resevoir at the lowest point.

Extigy
08-16-2008, 01:49 PM
I am having some troubles with my set up at the moment and being able to mount pump and res at the bottom of my system would make life easier in terms of mouting and routing but.... i realise bleeding the system would be a nightmare which is why i was wondering if:

I mount a shut off valve on top of an xspc RES top at the bottom of my system, to this attatch a 'fill line' that would extend a above the highest WC component which would be used purely to fill the system during bleeding. once the system is bled it would be removed with ease.

Would this work ?

Thanks!

Repliquant67
08-16-2008, 02:03 PM
Yes some people do it. You could also lie your case to empty the reservoir without problem. But a filport dangerden is a good choice if it fit on your case.

armeniandave
08-16-2008, 02:15 PM
I have my XSPC res at the bottom for both my GPU loop and my CPU loop. It took literally three minutes and all the air bubbles were gone from the GPU loop. I don't understand why you would need to extend a fillport unless you wanted it just to make filling it up easier. Maybe a pic would make it easier to see what you want to do.

lowfat
08-16-2008, 02:43 PM
It doesn't matter where the res is as long as the pump has a good supply of water. If you have a res-top, it doesn't matter one bit where the pump is located.

Extigy
08-16-2008, 02:57 PM
My concern was topping up the res. If i take the top off and the res is at the bottom wont i get back flow ?

Xilikon
08-16-2008, 03:05 PM
My concern was topping up the res. If i take the top off and the res is at the bottom wont i get back flow ?

No, my htpc pc have the same restop on the bottom and air pressure is sufficient to keep water in the reservoir. As for filling, I just fill the reservoir to the top, start the pump then pour the water as fast as the reservoir get low until it stabilize. Let it bleed for 10-15 mins then you are good to go.

I love that reservoir for sure :)

Extigy
08-16-2008, 03:30 PM
thanks for the comments! expect some new entries to my build very soon!

Conumdrum
08-16-2008, 04:03 PM
Yea, Res at top is great. Having it close to the pump so as you fill it don't run dry is priceless, and most important. armeniandave pics show that well, nice pics/rig too armeniandave.

MpG
08-16-2008, 05:49 PM
Practical example: Bad angle, but you can see the top of my XSPC restop circled. In this case, it's below the entire motherboard and two PA120.3's, but not one problem. In fact, since the reservoir design keeps turbulence out of the res itself, I didn't even bother screwing on the filler cap between top-ups while filling the system.

Wolf132
08-16-2008, 07:35 PM
All i did with my xpsc res top thats at bottom of my H2g0 was unscrew the black plastic screw, filled the res about 3/4ths, and then cycled the pump until it was almost empty. Fill the res back up, then repeat till the level doesnt drop anymore. Then leave the pump opened overnight and it should get almost all the bubbles out.

armeniandave
08-17-2008, 12:31 AM
Yea, Res at top is great. Having it close to the pump so as you fill it don't run dry is priceless, and most important. armeniandave pics show that well, nice pics/rig too armeniandave.

Thanks I appreciate that!

Waterlogged
08-17-2008, 12:42 AM
Most of my builds wind up having the res lower than most everything in the loop, haven't had a single problem.....just make sure not to open the loop somewhere else with the cap off the res, you'll have a mess on your hands very quickly. ;)

jonny_ftm
08-17-2008, 04:37 AM
Most of my builds wind up having the res lower than most everything in the loop, haven't had a single problem.....just make sure not to open the loop somewhere else with the cap off the res, you'll have a mess on your hands very quickly. ;)

Those info are great. I'm also one that always thought the water column would make the water go out of the res as soon as you open its cap.

I now understand it better. The vacum in other components would counterbalance the water column. So, unless inlet and outlet of the res are under the water level and all other barbs are well fitted (incl bleeding screws of radiators) th ewater won't pop out of the res when you open the cap

Should be stickied as it is really a mis-known fact that can simplify life when integrating a waterloop

C'DaleRider
08-17-2008, 07:17 AM
Those info are great. I'm also one that always thought the water column would make the water go out of the res as soon as you open its cap.

I now understand it better. The vacum in other components would counterbalance the water column. So, unless inlet and outlet of the res are under the water level and all other barbs are well fitted (incl bleeding screws of radiators) th ewater won't pop out of the res when you open the cap

Should be stickied as it is really a mis-known fact that can simplify life when integrating a waterloop

There's no vacuum conterbalancing anything in a loop. I suppose you could say there is vacuum on the suction side of the pump, but that's equalled by the outlet/output side of the pump.

It's simply atmospheric air pressure, approx. 14.7 psi at sea level, that is responsible.

My MicroRes is almost the lowest point in my loop with only the pump being lower. I have the top port on the reservoir "barbed" and tubing attached to it which then goes to a fillport on my case's top. I can leave the fillport open all day long and have nothing happen, even when running.

Now, open ANOTHER port somewhere, like a not-quite-sealed barb, or just take a tube off a barb, and THEN you'll have fluid everywhere because atmospheric pressure has TWO points of entry and will use its force to move the fluid from one point to another.

Remember, water is going to follow the path of least resistance, and your loop is much less resistive to the water's travel than pushing against a column of air pressurized to 14.7 psi....atomspheric pressure. Now, completely kink your tubing or cut off the flow somewhere in your loop and your pump will shoot water out your reservoir, if having an open port, because that cut off travel in the loop is more restrictive than the atmo. pressure outside the loop.....and you will get water shooting out your res.....but that's an odd case as most don't intentionally block off their loop's water travel.

Repliquant67
08-17-2008, 07:48 AM
I have my XSPC res at the bottom for both my GPU loop and my CPU loop. It took literally three minutes and all the air bubbles were gone from the GPU loop. I don't understand why you would need to extend a fillport unless you wanted it just to make filling it up easier. Maybe a pic would make it easier to see what you want to do.

Forget what I said. I did'nt understood well what was your problem :shrug:

lyl
08-17-2008, 03:38 PM
no problems here! bleeds very quickly

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q204/lyl18/WC%20Worklog/DSC_0285.jpg