PDA

View Full Version : ASUS Rampage Formula Water Cooling

NoPeace
08-16-2008, 12:39 PM
The question is, is it worth it? It's going to cost me about $200 for the mosfet and chipset blocks. That's quite a bit of money that could go to something else if it's not worth it.

NoPeace - out

Zaskar
08-16-2008, 12:47 PM
Id have to say not worth it, the blocks on that board look very good, and its an Intel chipset which runs cool, so you really wont get Any benefit from watercooling them unless your going to be using some kind of sub ambient cooling on the CPU for purpose of short bench sessions as the air cooling on the chipset now will cool it perfectly up to the maximum safe voltage the chipset can take for 24/7 use.

So unless you are going to be doing bench sessions that go decently above safe voltages for very short periods of time, its to me atleast not worth it. (another thing to keep in mind, all the tubes going across the NB and mosfets will make it impossible to remove the CPU block without draining something even if its on separate loops, you will get more performance benefits from being able to remount whenever you want.

Ofcourse there wont be any harm in WCing them either, so really it comes down to whatever you want to do.

Eddie3dfx
08-16-2008, 12:49 PM
Well whats worth it to you might not be worth it to someone else.
It's all relative.
If you want top notch performance, then sure!

NoPeace
08-16-2008, 12:57 PM
Id have to say not worth it, the blocks on that board look very good, and its an Intel chipset which runs cool, so you really wont get Any benefit from watercooling them unless your going to be using some kind of sub ambient cooling on the CPU for purpose of short bench sessions as the air cooling on the chipset now will cool it perfectly up to the maximum safe voltage the chipset can take for 24/7 use.

So unless you are going to be doing bench sessions that go decently above safe voltages for very short periods of time, its to me atleast not worth it. (another thing to keep in mind, all the tubes going across the NB and mosfets will make it impossible to remove the CPU block without draining something even if its on separate loops, you will get more performance benefits from being able to remount whenever you want.

Ofcourse there wont be any harm in WCing them either, so really it comes down to whatever you want to do.

Aye, so it wont matter much with a 24/7 systems. I've been using nVidia chipsets for a while now and all I know is that they are very hot and need decent cooling. So if the Intel ones are actually cool then there isn't any need for them.

Also this is mostly down to having a silent system as opposed to having a high performance one. That's why I've water cooled some of my older motherboards.

NoPeace - out

Zaskar
08-16-2008, 01:00 PM
Well whats worth it to you might not be worth it to someone else.
It's all relative.
If you want top notch performance, then sure!

Thats the term I wouldn't go throwing around, since especially on an Intel chipset you wont actually gain any extra performance for 24/7 use. those chipsets reach FSB caps and max safe voltages before risking serious silicon degradation before running into heat issues where the temp will hold it back.

Benching is different though as they push usually severely past safe voltages for very short sessions so the risk of the higher voltage causing silicon degradation is low.

Heat on those isnt the only limiting factor. Though im sure there will be people WCing X58 chipsets and NV200 chips, just cause they can even though it wont net you anything. Nothign wrong with it though, just don't want people to get the wrong idea that just cause its cooler that you will get better performance. Its just not true in every case.

leo_bsb
08-16-2008, 03:02 PM
I decided to watercool the north bridge chipset only on my new Maximus because it was reaching over 60º when benching.
I'll leave the mosfets with stock cooling since the voltages are not fluctuating.

D3mon_Hunt3r
08-26-2008, 12:36 PM
I'm checking a kit that costs €159 i have a P35 with a MIPS Kit. It's kinda hard thinking a motherboard change will cost me €230 + €160 :P

Duddits
08-26-2008, 01:09 PM
I decided to watercool the north bridge chipset only on my new Maximus because it was reaching over 60º when benching.
I'll leave the mosfets with stock cooling since the voltages are not fluctuating.

+1
I recommend the same thing, the north bridge gets very warm.
Put that under water, ignore the rest. (mosfet, SB).

gxavier
08-26-2008, 04:09 PM
I watercool my x38, and will be watercooling the x48 of my Rampage Formula that I just replaced it with. If you're giving that chipset 1.5+ volts, you'll see some high temps :)

And yeah, no reason to do mosfets.

bigslappy
08-26-2008, 04:18 PM
that X48 chip gets hot & unstable when it is hot .... just cool the CPU & the X48 the rest is candy but remove all the stock cooling as it's St*t i got 2 of them had 3 them
Crack monkeys put the cooling on ... most of it never touches the MoBo
get some of the air cooled heat sinks for the mosfits & blow some air on them You'll be Happy then Trust Me I Know about the R/F's it's a great board