PDA

View Full Version : So my brother owes me a large sum of money...

Th3MadScientist
08-15-2008, 12:16 PM
I let him borrow my car right after I had washed it because his car had an electrical problem. My brother is a big Honda guy. Even him and his mechanic buddy couldn't figure it out ( it was a fuse in the end which I found :shakes:) but anyway, I let him borrow my car and I told him to be careful, not 2 minutes later I get a phone call and him saying "I've been in an accident" :mad::mad::mad::mad: I'm think sh** this kid just wrecked my car but it was only a sideswipe. Didn't go through insurance because on a thing like that insurance would probably put it as no fault and I'd have to pay out the ass in premiums, he said he would pay for it. Anyway I took the car to a bodyshop that I know very well and he told me $1,700 if it was through insurance, for you it'd be $1,200. I need a new door skin and some quarter panel work. So I'm like okay cause it needs to be repaired. From the time it had an appointment to the time I got it back it was 3 weeks, I have not seen any money yet. He always promises me money but in the end he says deals did not go through. (He is unemployed and flips car parts). The car had to go back cause there was some minor paint imperfections which I couldn't stand, another week went by, no money. I'm out of $1200 and all this kid does is lie out of his ass. He sold my good friend some parts for $200 and when I asked him about money,he said oh he did not sell them he only left them at his house. How do I get this kid to give me my money?

lyl
08-15-2008, 12:24 PM
Tell mom (sorry i had to)

or

Take something of his that is of value to him as leverage.

Tough situation, sorry to hear

fart_plume
08-15-2008, 12:36 PM
Simple show him you mean business, Sue him, once you get the suit filed and he gets served, he'll call you and you tell him he starts making payments or you'll see him in court.

lyl
08-15-2008, 12:41 PM
Im not sure that would make for a great lawsuit... Im no lawyer though. Either way, it would just cost more money w/ lawyers.

Maybe fake court papers served to him?
This is a sibling we are talking about, revenge is OK

Th3MadScientist
08-15-2008, 12:52 PM
my mom said to let the car stay the way it was and not get it fixed...i told her she was crazy. I'm about to raid his room and sell all of his possessions.

fart_plume
08-15-2008, 01:03 PM
Well go rent a storage put all his stuff in it, then tell him he gets his stuff back when you get your money................

(you can file small claims and not get laywers involved, but just getting him served would make a believer out of him.)

@lyl, producing fake papers can get you in big trouble, I wouldn't advise doing that. in some states it's a felony.

TedShred
08-15-2008, 01:03 PM
Many jurisdictions have Small Claims Courts, with relaxed rules of evidence and not a lawyer in sight. Filing is usually pretty cheap, and the forms are pretty simple. Might provide some incentive anyway.

MikeB12
08-15-2008, 01:16 PM
when I let family borrow money I rarely see it back... because let's face it the only ones that can't pay or need money in the first place are the ones that will in most likelyhood end up with bad credit or be more prone to not make promissory payments... a financially responsible adult would have settled the debt outright even if it meant putting it on a cc at the repair shop..

my advice is to try and get him to put up collateral until the note/debt is paid... be calm and businesslike, yet demanding and forceful and take something worth value and most importantly is important for him to get back and not just write off.. chances are you will not get something worth $1200, but you may get something that motivates him to pay you $100-$200 a month until it's paid back... you need to sit and think calmly about what this collateral item should be.. then present the proposal to all parties that need to hear it at once in the same room.

not sure what age we're talking here... and it sounds like mom doesn't want to get involved...
even as family gets older, these kinds of things never are easy when dealing with someone who is not financially responsible and has a flighty lifestyle... every family has these type individuals, and they rarely pay back the money because it's viewed as a gift or necessary part of dealing with life to them... to them it's not there fault accidents happen, and they don't feel responsible after the fact for events or circumstances that they felt were not their fault. when in reality, it's not about fault, it's about being responsible for your actions. but most of these people never learn that, even when they're 50-60yrs old...

not saying your brother is like that, I'm just saying if the shoe fits...

Th3MadScientist
08-15-2008, 01:21 PM
he's 18 and that sounds just like him..he is a sleazeball, my mom lent him her credit card so that he can buy gas, he charged $2200 worth of parts on it while she was on vacation :shakes:, now he is paying her back $40 a month. :(

fart_plume
08-15-2008, 01:35 PM
this last makes me think that his "accident" wasn't so accidental. He was probably racing someone. And He probably has no intent on paying you back, so taking him to court may be the only way to get your money from him.

RADCOM
08-15-2008, 01:42 PM
Brother needs a slap lol It's not about the money, he has to learn principles of honour and decency! If he can do that to family how's he going to treat Joe Public? My brother would be decorating my house ( if you trust him there), mowing the lawn and washing the car till the debt's paid!!

Gautam
08-15-2008, 01:48 PM
Beat the crap out of him. (That's what younger brothers are for anyways, right?)

MikeB12
08-15-2008, 01:56 PM
he's 18 and that sounds just like him..he is a sleazeball, my mom lent him her credit card so that he can buy gas, he charged $2200 worth of parts on it while she was on vacation :shakes:, now he is paying her back $40 a month. :(

that is bad.... no wonder she said just don't get it fixed.. what she probably meant was don't get it fixed unless you can take the hit on your wallet.... :shakes:

psyxeon
08-15-2008, 01:57 PM
He is your brother man.

twilyth
08-15-2008, 02:03 PM
(you can file small claims and not get laywers involved, but just getting him served would make a believer out of him.)

Many jurisdictions have Small Claims Courts, with relaxed rules of evidence and not a lawyer in sight. Filing is usually pretty cheap, and the forms are pretty simple. Might provide some incentive anyway.

MS - are you in the US? If so, I definitely agree with the small claims suggestion. It sounds like he made a verbal contract with you or possibly created a bailment. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bailment) You can definitely prosecute a breach of contract action. Not so sure about bailments but the court clerk could tell you. In the US at least you never have to worry about paying for the defendants legal fees - except in extreme cases like the one in the RIAA thread.

For some reason I thought you were in the Netherlands or Belgium though. In that case, I'm not sure what to tell you.

systemviper
08-15-2008, 02:16 PM
yea, you got to make a stand now, or he will be like this for the rest of your lives...

[XC] riptide
08-15-2008, 02:22 PM
Trash him. Plain and simple. Trash him. And make it a weekly occurence. Just wreck him. Sell everything belonging to him. Rob the shoes off him. Watches. Cloths. Everything. Cell phones. And when he gets them replaced. Rob him again. And trash him some more. Simple.

twilyth
08-15-2008, 02:32 PM
riptide;3220999']Trash him. Plain and simple. Trash him. And make it a weekly occurence. Just wreck him. Sell everything belonging to him. Rob the shoes off him. Watches. Cloths. Everything. Cell phones. And when he gets them replaced. Rob him again. And trash him some more. Simple.

I'm feeling a lot of repressed anger. Want to talk about it? :D

b1lk1
08-15-2008, 02:41 PM
I have to agree. This kid needs his ass kicked on a daily basis. If mom wants to bail him out, that is her choice but you shouldn't have to suffer for his stupidity. I would pretty much rip his pockets off every time I saw him and take all the cash he has until he is square. And for everyone saying "he is your brother, be nice" screw that. This dummy needs to be taught a life lesson since he will most likely be beaten to death when he starts ripping off the wrong people because that is all he knows. In fact, you will be doing him a favor by being the one to teach him this very valuable life lesson.

twilyth
08-15-2008, 02:50 PM
Yeah, some people are just leaches - family or not. If they learn that they can get away this sheet, they'll assume that the whole world will react the same way - until someone really does beat the piss out of them.

[XC] riptide
08-15-2008, 02:51 PM
I'm feeling a lot of repressed anger. Want to talk about it? :D

Ya sure. Where do I start. Sit closer, I can't hear you. :)

[XC] riptide
08-15-2008, 02:53 PM
He is your brother man.

And that is worse. Ripping off, your own flesh and blood is low.

twilyth
08-15-2008, 02:57 PM
riptide;3221061']Ya sure. Where do I start. Sit closer, I can't hear you. :)

Nice try, I'm not falling for that one. :eek: I can hear YOU just fine from here. :D But if you want to buy me a first class round trip ticket to Dublin, we can do a pub crawl and you can bare your soul. Really, you'll feel a lot better and it's cheaper than therapy - I know that for a fact. :up:

fart_plume
08-15-2008, 02:58 PM
unfortunatly in my experience family are the ones who will take advantage of your good nature first. Take him to court if you win and he doesn't pay he then can be charged with contempt of court and get jail time.........................

twilyth
08-15-2008, 03:04 PM
unfortunatly in my experience family are the ones who will take advantage of your good nature first. Take him to court if you win and he doesn't pay he then can be charged with contempt of court and get jail time.........................
Well, technically he would get a judgment but then if his brother doesn't pay, he has to try to enforce the judgment. That means attaching liens, garnishing wages, etc. But it sounds like his brother is what they call 'judgment proof.' Once you get the judgment, you have no way of collecting on it if the person doesn't have any assets. However the process alone should be enough to scare him into paying. And he can always lie about what the consequences will be if his brother doesn't pay. As long as he's not under oath it shouldn't be a problem - although threatening a criminal prosecution is an offense in NJ and probably in most other jurisdictions.

[XC] riptide
08-15-2008, 03:06 PM
Nice try, I'm not falling for that one. :eek: I can hear YOU just fine from here. :D But if you want to buy me a first class round trip ticket to Dublin, we can do a pub crawl and you can bare your soul. Really, you'll feel a lot better and it's cheaper than therapy - I know that for a fact. :up:

I need someone that can last more then 1 hour on the pub crawl. And that can match drink for drink. MY experience with Yankee wannabee pub crawlers has been poor at best. They either sneak off for a tactical chunder, or I catch them getting water at the other end of a crowded bar, while saying they were off at the bathroom. :rolleyes: Or worst... wanna go home. << This I hate the most.

fart_plume
08-15-2008, 03:08 PM
In Oklahoma not obey a court order to pay is a crime, ie. Contempt of court, so here he could be charged with a crime if he didn't pay. Also if he has a bank account you can take the judgement directly there and take all his money out(found this out from a laywer).

hawkeyefan
08-15-2008, 03:12 PM
riptide;3221103']I need someone that can last more then 1 hour on the pub crawl. And that can match drink for drink. MY experience with Yankee wannabee pub crawlers has been poor at best. They either sneak off for a tactical chunder, or I catch them getting water at the other end of a crowded bar, while saying they were off at the bathroom. :rolleyes: Or worst... wanna go home. << This I hate the most.

Haha! You need a good strong alcoholic like myself it sounds like.:D We'll have to get together for some liver damage next year when we visit the island. Wifey and her Irish family go there a lot, I've never been but can't wait.

Her gramps passed last Friday so it's been day after day of Jameson, Johnnie Walker Red and beers starting at around noon. I'll hand it to the Irish...they sure know how to grieve.

[XC] riptide
08-15-2008, 03:17 PM
Haha! You need a good strong alcoholic like myself it sounds like.:D We'll have to get together for some liver damage next year when we visit the island. Wifey and her Irish family go there a lot, I've never been but can't wait.

Her gramps passed last Friday so it's been day after day of Jameson, Johnnie Walker Red and beers starting at around noon. I'll hand it to the Irish...they sure know how to grieve.

I'll look forward to that! :up:

PS: sorry for you loss also. :(

BlueAqua
08-15-2008, 03:22 PM
Tell him to get a job. Give him :banana::banana::banana::banana: everyday and don't let him forget about it. Forget about ever getting your money back, it will make you feel better. Just hold it over his head and never do anything for him unless he wants to make it up to you.

twilyth
08-15-2008, 03:24 PM
riptide;3221103']I need someone that can last more then 1 hour on the pub crawl. And that can match drink for drink. MY experience with Yankee wannabee pub crawlers has been poor at best. They either sneak off for a tactical chunder, or I catch them getting water at the other end of a crowded bar, while saying they were off at the bathroom. :rolleyes: Or worst... wanna go home. << This I hate the most.

Yeah, I'm a light weight, and I don't drink anymore anyway since it does too much of a number on my blood sugar. I had planned to be upright the entire time drinking my diet coke. Anyway, as your therapist I really shouldn't be getting pissed when I'm supposed to be paying attention to what you're saying. :)

hawkeyefan
08-15-2008, 03:24 PM
riptide;3221137']I'll look forward to that! :up:

PS: sorry for you loss also. :(

Ah, thanks mate...I'll pass on the sentiment to wifey. Owen had a pretty bad case of lung cancer and was 86 so it was kind of bittersweet on Friday. Poor guy was really suffering so the consensus among the family is that at least he went kind of easy and didn't have to suffer any more.

Anyway, I'll PM you a while before we go so we can hopefully meet up. Quite sure we'll do the whole island so no matter where you are it should work out. They whole fam damily pretty much only vacations in Ireland so they have the area nailed down and promise me I'll love the visit. Can't wait as I've never been to Europe.

/end thread hijack (sorry)

[XC] riptide
08-15-2008, 03:30 PM
86? Not a bad age at all. He was born the year the State was Created.

Th3MadScientist
08-15-2008, 03:33 PM
i just texted him if he has any of my money...lets see what he says ?

RADCOM
08-15-2008, 04:36 PM
Bring it..... your pucinni? is no match for the Jamaican white rum :)

YugenM
08-15-2008, 05:13 PM
i just texted him if he has any of my money...lets see what he says ?

I'm guessing a "not yet" or some other weasel type reply.

Beat the crap out of him and show him you mean business, I doubt you'd like him to stay like that at an age where he's about to enter the real world.

[XC] riptide
08-15-2008, 05:20 PM
Bring it..... your pucinni? is no match for the Jamaican white rum :)

:rolleyes: Puccini = Italian Opera. Poiteen you mean? I'm surprised a London boy like you would even know. Last time I was there, the clubs were populated by Metro Boys drinking brightly coloured pi$$ or alcopops, while wearing makeup & maskara.

adamsleath
08-15-2008, 05:30 PM
im pretty sure i know what judge judy would say. your car, your responsibility; you have nothing in writing from the one who said he would pay you back. your brother, your responsibility; you want to teach him about the value of other people's property?. tit for tat revenge is not the answer, particularly if you get the law involved. im not sure how small claims works; perhaps that is a way to go.

you gave the driver permission to drive the car; you decided to settle without going through insurance.

you have to rely on your brother's scruples. do not entrust him with any or your possessions in the future (which may or may not be feasible)
he needs to learn to value property - that's the bottom line with my young relatives (and by young i am talking 5-6 years old)
:shrug: you can choose your friends but not your relatives... but some people ditch their relatives aswell...

he owes you for damages, dont let that drop, no matter how long it may take him to pay you back. if you can afford to let it drop, then dont entrust him with your property in future.

probly inbetween options i have missed that weigh your relationship with your brother vs. property value.

fart_plume
08-15-2008, 05:30 PM
@ Riptide: so what your saying is their hard to tell from the normal sheep?

b1lk1
08-15-2008, 05:34 PM
Judge Judy would probably slap the crap out of his brother FOR HIM.

adamsleath
08-15-2008, 05:56 PM
because he's old enough to drive he should take more responsibility for his actions...and?

permission was given to drive the car.

if he's old enuf to drive he should be taking responsibility for his own actions, yes, including financial liability. It is a debt that he owes, but i doubt the court will see it that way. I have been looking at it as that the brother is a financial dependent, but i guess he is no longer to be considered a minor, so the court may back up the financial indebtedness...possibly, but i doubt it.

i think the issue could be pushed either way...or should i say bullied, into submission? :lol:

Nasgul
08-15-2008, 06:11 PM
How do I get this kid to give me my money?
Go Tony Soprano on his A$$!

It's business.

wdrzal
08-15-2008, 06:20 PM
Well let the insurance Pay, if they raise your rate, that will remind you not to lend your car to anyone..........

Th3MadScientist
08-15-2008, 07:17 PM
he knows that if he doesn't pay me, he's getting disowned, i already told him, if you don't give me my money don't ever ask me for sh** ever again, no matter what the situation calls for. I'm just waiting for him to ask me to borrow my car again so I can laugh so hard in his face.

@YugenM - i don't think he knows he's about to enter the real world, he flunked out of a private college, there goes my moms $30K and she is trying to get him to go to a community college but he is even reluctant to cooperate. He rather hang out with his friends...till he is 30. I'm just waiting for the moment when the real world hits him straight in the face.

His computer crashed and he's been asking me to fix it, I should tell him it will cost him $1200. lol

carmatic
08-15-2008, 07:19 PM
do something that only brothers can do to each other... like, move into his room and dont let him move into yours etc etc etc, that will be very painful for him, and he will probably understand why you did it

Hondo=TFD=
08-15-2008, 08:45 PM
Take him to Judge Judy. I always see family disputes there. Up to $5,000.00.

gundamit
08-15-2008, 09:38 PM
Have him sign over the pink slip on his Honda. Let him know that you'll wait 6 months for full payment on the debt. If the debt is not completely paid you'll "re-po" the car and sell it, take the debt due, plus interest and give the rest of the money to your mom his other creditor. Tell him to get his @ss back on a bike and everyone on the road will be a lot safer. :up:

jimmsch
08-16-2008, 02:25 AM
And the winner is...

Beat the crap out of him. (That's what younger brothers are for anyways, right?)

berk
08-16-2008, 06:21 AM
Have him Raped.

Entity_Razer
08-16-2008, 09:25 AM
Have him Raped.

>.>

None of that here shall we? ;)

Anyways best thing to do is basically bug him, bug him, bug him, bug him. Every day, hour morning to night. if he sleeps in and doesn't have a job, kick his ass out of the bed at 6 AM and tell'm to go find a job.

Its a shame but with people like that you have to push so hard untill they can't stand the sight of you no more and just fork over the cash to be rid of you.

hollywood
08-16-2008, 10:30 AM
my mom said to let the car stay the way it was and not get it fixed...i told her she was crazy. I'm about to raid his room and sell all of his possessions.

First...what kind of car is it? Second, things (possessions) should NEVER come between family.

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana: happens. Don't ruin a relationship over a car. Take your time and work something out.

CyberDruid
08-16-2008, 10:42 AM
If this is the way your Brother treats you and your Mom I have to go along with XC Riptide: take everything he has and sell it. That will get the point across. Since your Mom seems to be pretty wishywashy about the whole thing I doubt there will be any lasting repurcussions for you taking his stuff in a partial exchange for the debt.

About beating his ass...unless you guys have a history of scuffling and so on I would avoid that route...but if in the past you have sorted things out with a good brawl by all means add that to the payment of the debt...sounds like he deserves it. But sell his stuff first...

MikeB12
08-16-2008, 11:07 AM
get a rat trap and write "PAY UP SUCKER!" in magic marker on the wood.. then set it down by his bathroom toilet, so when he gets up to pee in the dark, SNAAAPPPY toes!!!
-just kidding....

I've only been in this type deal with family a couple times, and ended up eating the debt... so I quit doing it long ago... yeah, they think you're a d1ck when you say NO, but that's the way it is... once the trust is broken, there's not too much that can happen that will restore it..

Grafton
08-16-2008, 07:14 PM
there's not much that cant be settled via tire iron...

* legal * not telling you to beat the $hit outta him, but i would if it was my brother

YugenM
08-16-2008, 07:26 PM
Sign him up for the USMC then? I'm pretty sure a drill sergeant will get his arse straightened out ;)

fart_plume
08-16-2008, 07:42 PM
You guys realize advocating violence is against forum rules...................

[XC] leviathan18
08-16-2008, 10:30 PM
talk to him, tell him to be a man and paid what he promised, you are his brother you wont kill him, but if he owes someone with a bad character and tries to be like that running from the responsibility things can get ugly even for 1200$

tell him you are very disappointed of his behavior and actions, tell him you wont trust him anything else because he is just a liar and tell him you are very sad for it because you are his brother... make it feel like a scum bag

[XC] gomeler
08-16-2008, 11:27 PM
First offer to let him pay you back within an acceptable period of time. $1200, that can be saved within 30 days working a dead end job if housing is already taken care of. If within those 30 days he doesn't pay up, take him to court and get the law on your side. Do not harm him, don't rob him, don't do anything that he can then leverage against you. He may be your brother but he sounds like scum and if I've learned anything from scum, when cornered they will lash out with anything and everything you hand them.

riptide;3220999']Trash him. Plain and simple. Trash him. And make it a weekly occurence. Just wreck him. Sell everything belonging to him. Rob the shoes off him. Watches. Cloths. Everything. Cell phones. And when he gets them replaced. Rob him again. And trash him some more. Simple.

hahaha, oh riptide, what are we going to do with you :shrug:

Hor$eman
08-17-2008, 12:09 AM
When I was 16, I lent 40 bucks to a friend, and never saw the money again. I thought about it for years, a huge waste of time end energy. Eventually, once I wrote it off, I realized that it was only money.

My brother. He was smart. He never borrowed money from me. He just asked for it, and since I was better off than he, I never minded giving it, no strings attached. I only had the one brother, and he was killed in a car accident. I wish he was around to owe me money... it's only $1200 bucks.

When your brother has the cash he will give it back to you. I'm sure he feels terrible about it. I have a sister who never paid me back a grand I lent her, and well, it saved me from ever having to lend her more. He won't ask to borrow another car and he won't ask to borrow money... consider it a small investment in to what it could have cost you, a car, or more importantly, your brother.

xlink
08-17-2008, 12:18 AM
make the bum get a job.

I had one at 16. I'm 19 and I'm still there and have even been offered a promotion(had to decline as I cannot work full time while doing school full time)

Entity_Razer
08-17-2008, 08:02 AM
When I was ....SNIP..... consider it a small investment in to what it could have cost you, a car, or more importantly, your brother.

From the day we are born we start our path to death. its a fact, its a given, its a inevatability in life.

That however does not mean, in my opinion, that we should let everything slide because of what might happen if xyz happens on wtf point in time.

We do not know the situation the OP's in financially and that might be that he needs the cash for other stuff, bottomline is, he got the car fixed like he should have, his brother wrecked it, now he pays it.

simple as. None of this "but if your brother dies someday in the future for whatever reason that may be?"

sorry you underwent such a loss, really, and I can understand you partially, but please try and understand me when I say its a inevatability in life and such things should not dominate our outlook or perspective on right/wrong

ownage
08-17-2008, 08:09 AM
He wrecked your car? Wreck his car.

Jamesrt2004
08-17-2008, 08:57 AM
He wrecked your car? Wreck his car.

+ 1

or cut the breaks lol

big poppa pump
08-17-2008, 09:18 AM
or cut the breaks lol

That has to be most stupidest comment I have seen in this thread so far!

Give it some time. Sooner or later your brother has to grow up and realize things for himself. Trust me, its just not worth doing some of the retarded advice given over here!! You can always do a $hitload of things to hurt him ot make him pay for his deeds, but is it worth it?

You have to make your brother realize if he continues with this crap, the next time he needs somebody during his hard times, it will be difficult for you to be there for him.

fart_plume
08-17-2008, 10:19 AM
+ 1

or cut the breaks lol

I have already said it once, ADVOCATING VIOLENCE IS AGAINST FORUM RULES.