PDA

View Full Version : S-IPS 30" Monitor (~2.000$)

Cliff Burton
08-15-2008, 05:48 AM
Hi my fellow OCers.

I am currently searching for the best 30" LCD Monitor with S-IPS panel, as I will use it mainly for graphic design and postproduction (TN/MVA/S-MVA/A-MVA/PVA/S-PVA panels suck in this aspect).

After some days of searching, I have found some 30" S-IPS LCD Monitors which I list below, but I still need the final advice of expert users. The maximum budget would be around 2.000$.

LG Flatron W3000H
HP LP3065
Dell 3008WFP
Apple Cinema Display
NEC LCD3090WQXi

Click (http://tinyurl.com/63rpl4)

I was almost decided for the Dell 3008WFP, but I have read that the 3009WFP is on his way, and that most of Rev. A00 panels have had some display problems.

And a final question, does anyone know why, depending on the day, the 3008WFP is priced at 1.480€ and at 2.280€ in its european official site (http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=es&l=es&cs=esdhs1&sku=142657)?

saki_bomber
08-15-2008, 05:58 AM
NEC LCD3090WQXi

its in a class all its own and is actually an H-IPS panel which is a better panel than S-IPS. all of other panels listed dont even come close, except the apple and the dell would probably come in close to last on that list.
the only 2 on that list that photoshoppers or critical color work pros will even consider is the NEC or apple.

you can hardare calibrate it also as it has a 12bit LUT.

if you have a hardware colormeter like a pantone one eye display2 with the spectraview software or a spyder3, you can get the most out of the monitor and is highly recommended to get that software from the NEC site. its made especially for that type of monitor and will do wonders for your display.

MasterOfTheReal
08-15-2008, 06:17 AM
I would reccomend the Apple, its expensive but its a fatasic screen to work with.
Coming from a photogrpahers background I know a number of working pro's who use it for colour correction and will swear by it.

Cliff Burton
08-16-2008, 10:58 AM
Thanks guys.

I will definitely go for the NEC one.

SNiiPE_DoGG
08-16-2008, 11:59 AM
I would reccomend the Apple, its expensive but its a fatasic screen to work with.
Coming from a photogrpahers background I know a number of working pro's who use it for colour correction and will swear by it.

That's because most pro photographers are ignorant and brainwashed by a industry moniker of "you MUST use apple". My father (professional photographer (www.dennishelmar.com) uses 2 NEC 2690 WUXi's and they are truely superior in color to any other monitors. I've had the "excellent" apple displays side by side and they look like a TN panel compared to the 2690.

MasterOfTheReal
08-16-2008, 12:19 PM
That's because most pro photographers are ignorant and brainwashed by a industry moniker of "you MUST use apple". My father (professional photographer (www.dennishelmar.com) uses 2 NEC 2690 WUXi's and they are truely superior in color to any other monitors. I've had the "excellent" apple displays side by side and they look like a TN panel compared to the 2690.

Well I'd respectfully disagree on the 1st point, Apple generally make more user friendly interfaces that take out the chaff of many other programs and just let you get the job done.
As for your father, Im sure he used the NEC's fine but I can assure you that the Apple displays are used for industury standard colour correction for print. design and manufacture. The NEC's may be excellent also but so are the apple screens.

SNiiPE_DoGG
08-16-2008, 12:26 PM
Well I'd respectfully disagree on the 1st point, Apple generally make more user friendly interfaces that take out the chaff of many other programs and just let you get the job done.
As for your father, Im sure he used the NEC's fine but I can assure you that the Apple displays are used for industury standard colour correction for print. design and manufacture. The NEC's may be excellent also but so are the apple screens.

I can assure you that I have used the apple side by side to the NEC, the NEC is more correct to print, hands down

MasterOfTheReal
08-16-2008, 01:29 PM
I can assure you that I have used the apple side by side to the NEC, the NEC is more correct to print, hands down

Dont get me wrong Im not dismissing your opinion, but I can gaurentee you that apple displays if calibrated are also absolutly correct to print, this is a fact.

cadaveca
08-16-2008, 02:03 PM
Dells' 3007 with 98% NTSC color gamut, and no input lag is/wqas my first choice, and I'll never go back, but if I made purchase today, the NEC has 102% NTSC color gamut, but has small viewing angle.

Apple has bad input lag. still iamge this is not going to matter, but I do not use my monitor for jsut 2-D images.

Newer dells suck...input lag is horrible. This is what happens when panels have on-baord scaling though. the 3007 is just a panel though...all colour calibration, etc must be done by vga driver, unless you own a dell pc.

NEC seems to have every issue I've run across dealt with...the only question is whether you end up with backlight bleeding or dead pixels...

MasterOfTheReal
08-16-2008, 02:05 PM
Dells' 3007 with 98% NTSC color gamut, and no input lag is/wqas my first choice, and I'll never go back, but if I made purchase today, the NEC has 102% NTSC color gamut, but has small viewing angle.

Apple has bad input lag. still iamge this is not going to matter, but I do not use my monitor for jsut 2-D images.

Newer dells suck...input lag is horrible. This is what happens when panels have on-baord scaling though. the 3007 is just a panel though...all colour calibration, etc must be done by vga driver, unless you own a dell pc.

NEC seems to have every issue I've run across dealt with...the only question is whether you end up with backlight bleeding or dead pixels...

I'd agree never use a Apple screen for gaming it does have noticable input lag.
Havent used the new Dell screens so.

dsecrieru
08-17-2008, 11:54 AM
Why no Eizo on the list?