PDA

View Full Version : How do I flash the bios on my gtx260

BababooeyHTJ
08-14-2008, 08:15 PM
I want to try to get a higher oc on my gtx260. I think flashing the bios is the only way. Can someone teach me how or link me to some good articles.

Kondik
08-15-2008, 12:02 AM
Download it with GPU-Z there is save bios button.
Open the bios in nvBitor edit it
Create a MS-DOS Boot floppy, put the bios on a second one with a nvidiaflash
boot from the floppy to the DOS mode, then swithc the floppy disks for Nvidia one, run the nvflash one follow the instructions
restart
dance

BenchZowner
08-15-2008, 01:58 AM
BIOS Flashing will not give you higher overclocks.
Software overclocking & BIOS overclocking have the same results.

Anyways, here's a detailed guide (http://www.benchzone.com/page.php?al=geforce_overclocking_gui) ( Ignore the title, I need to edit it, as it's suitable for all the GeForce 8,9, and GTX series cards )

BababooeyHTJ
08-15-2008, 12:02 PM
That is a great guide. Dude, awesome work. I bookmarked that for sure. One question I have is, why did you have to type in -5 -6 in the command to flash the bios?I just need a little more info on how changing the voltages will effect my max stable clocks and temps. I would also like to know if it is worth it to try to tighten up the memory timings. Thank you for the help.

BenchZowner
08-15-2008, 12:58 PM
Thanks for the comments.
Actually there's more space for enhancements to the guide, which I shall have ready soon.

The -5 and -6 are switches ( commands or options don't know which word you prefer, for the flashing application ) to force the flash ( if you're using another manufacturer's BIOS for example.

Exact documentation and all the available switches can be found in the help display ( type nvflash /? ).

Changing the voltages ( if you have a card that can be Voltage Modded via software ) will give you higher clocks, and depending on the step you'll see a minimum gain of about 20MHz on the core and about 40MHz on the RAM.

Loosening the memory timings, might give you the ability to clock your RAM higher and gain in bandwidth ( unless you loose them all the way :p: ) which can help in high resolutions along with AA and AF.

BababooeyHTJ
08-15-2008, 01:24 PM
I am using the stock cooler at the moment. Should I bump up the voltage? What kind of temp difference would I expect to see? I will be buying an aftermarket cooler at some point. Thanks for all of the help btw.

BenchZowner
08-15-2008, 01:44 PM
If you're talking about raising the voltage options in the BIOS of your GTX 260, then don't raise any hopes, because as far as I know it's not working.
The only way to bump the voltages on your GTX 260 is by modding the card ( soldering resistors ).

BababooeyHTJ
08-15-2008, 01:52 PM
That sucks! I guess Ill be sticking to software overclocking for now.