PDA

View Full Version : Problems with dust.

JacobN
08-14-2008, 02:43 PM
I've got a Canon 40D and a 17-55 F2.8 lens. There are actually two issues, one of them is important the other is just a minor annoyance. Less important one first, there is a speck of dust on the sensor, it's mapped correctly and removed by the camera in the picture. It doesn't show up in the pictures, just in the viewfinder and it's really just annoying when shooting more than anything. What do I do about this?

Second issue is slightly worse, there seem to be dust somewhere where it isn't mapped. There's no dust on the front element of the lens, nor any other things there shouldn't be there(i.e. it's clean), but there are 1-2 specks of dust inside the lens. What the hell do I do about this? It comes out as a slightly dark spot in the pictures(I can show an example of this dark spot if anyone wishes to see if I'm wrong and it could be something less of a problem?)

How do I resolve the second issue? It's a PITA to say the least.

Nate P.
08-14-2008, 04:22 PM
There is probably dust on the sensor and the mirror in the camera. Get a rocket blower (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/541904-REG/Giottos_AA1903_Rocket_Air_Blower_.html) and blow that crap out!

JacobN
08-14-2008, 05:33 PM
Righty, I'll look into that... Though I do have some of that canned air around, would that world too or would that be bad? I know it contains various chemicals and I don't know about any residue and such.

JaYp146
08-14-2008, 05:43 PM
Righty, I'll look into that... Though I do have some of that canned air around, would that world too or would that be bad? I know it contains various chemicals and I don't know about any residue and such.

Don't shake it, don't turn it over ... keep the can upright while using and you should be fine.

Nate P.
08-14-2008, 06:29 PM
Don't shake it, don't turn it over ... keep the can upright while using and you should be fine.
NO! Even upright, some moisture will come out, and the blast is probably too strong, and might crack or damage the mirror or sensor. Go to a camera store and pick up a rocket blower, or order one online. You WILL have to use it more than once, and it's an important investment.

JacobN
08-14-2008, 06:40 PM
Alrighty Nate, I'll just drop by the store tomorrow and see if they have any, will report back after I get one.

[XC] Lead Head
08-14-2008, 06:40 PM
Sorry if I am a noob, but isn't the 40D an SLR? If a spec of dust showed up on the viewfinder, wouldn't that point to the dust being on the miror or the lense itself, and not the sensor?

Nate P.
08-14-2008, 06:43 PM
Lead Head;3218766']Sorry if I am a noob, but isn't the 40D an SLR? If a spec of dust showed up on the viewfinder, wouldn't that point to the dust being on the miror or the lense itself, and not the sensor?
True, dust on the mirror will not affect image quality, but trust me, if you had a 40D, you would want to keep it as clean as possible. Plus, it's kinda distracting when composing an image.

JacobN
08-30-2008, 06:30 AM
Right, so I tried cleaning my camera as described by Nate P. and this did indeed remove whatever dust was on the sensor/mirror/something that showed up in the viewfinder. BUT the dust, or whatever it is, that causes a dark spot in my pictures does still show up. I'm not really sure what to do about it. Any additional advice on this, or would it be helpful to see a sample picture to show it/picture that shows the dust in the lens, or something?

Any and all advice is much appreciated.

twilyth
08-30-2008, 07:05 AM
Right, so I tried cleaning my camera as described by Nate P. and this did indeed remove whatever dust was on the sensor/mirror/something that showed up in the viewfinder. BUT the dust, or whatever it is, that causes a dark spot in my pictures does still show up. I'm not really sure what to do about it. Any additional advice on this, or would it be helpful to see a sample picture to show it/picture that shows the dust in the lens, or something?

Any and all advice is much appreciated.
The lens should be sealed (hermetically sealed???) and there should be no chance of dust getting in unless it was disassemble for servicing or something like that. This is sort of obvious, but did you check the back of the lens? Use a strong magnifying glass.

If the particles really are inside though, you should be able to see them if you hold the assembly up to the light. I'm assuming the 40D has a removable lens assembly - haven't checked. If you can see the particles on one of the internal lenses, that is a warranty issue and I would contact Canon. But with their reputation, it's hard to believe they would be that sloppy. I'm guessing here, but the warranty on the lens should be a lot longer than on the camera body.

Anemone
08-30-2008, 07:26 AM
The lens you'll need too send to Canon to have them clean it in a proper environment. Sadly the 17-55 is well known for having dust issues and it will likely happen again after some time of useage.

Keeping a clear filter on the front of the lens helps some folks keep the dust out, but it apparently doesn't insure no dust in every case, so even that's only a "hopefully" solution.

Folks have been complaining to Canon about that lens for a long time now. :(

twilyth
08-30-2008, 07:29 AM
The lens you'll need too send to Canon to have them clean it in a proper environment. Sadly the 17-55 is well known for having dust issues and it will likely happen again after some time of useage.

Keeping a clear filter on the front of the lens helps some folks keep the dust out, but it apparently doesn't insure no dust in every case, so even that's only a "hopefully" solution.

Folks have been complaining to Canon about that lens for a long time now. :(

Wow, that really sucks! Do you think this will be covered by his warranty? How long does Canon give for their lenses?

Nate P.
08-30-2008, 09:34 AM
And surprisingly the lenses are in no way sealed (although some of the L series lenses are weather sealed).

JacobN
08-30-2008, 11:36 AM
I'll get in touch with the place where that sold me the lens it to hear what their policy is on this, depending on that I'll call up Canon and hear them out about the problem and whether or not there's some sort of warranty covering, I doubt there is though...

Anyway, thanks for confirming my fears :p: Oh well, it happens.