PDA

View Full Version : P35 and Server 2003?

yankee
08-14-2008, 06:02 AM
Check out this email I just got.

one thing that i see that can be an issue for you with this config is that the genuine intel mainboard with the intel p35 chipset does not support windows 2003 server nor are there drivers....we have seen several cases when customers have tried to run 2003 server on desktop boards even from other manufacturers with subpar, unexpected or negative results whether it be an application they are running or just hardware issues itself.

I've installed a few systems for customers with P35 and server 2003. No problems to report. This guy is part of a larger company trying to steal my business.

I'm going to put together some links to manufacturer pages which list 2003 compatibility and email them to him and my customer.

How would you refute this claim?

zanzabar
08-14-2008, 01:54 PM
hes trying to use sp0 disks, and u should do x38 so u can get ecc for servers

B.E.E.F.
08-14-2008, 02:07 PM
Server 2003 uses the same drivers as XP. If it runs on XP, it will run on Server 2003.

Worst case scenario you have to change the OS identifier string in the *.inf file for the driver. From NT 5.1 to NT 5.2... or along those lines. Been awhile since 2003 gave me a problem like this.

And what is this about "support" from the board? The board doesn't support anything. It runs.

BenchZowner
08-14-2008, 05:12 PM
Check out this email I just got.

I've installed a few systems for customers with P35 and server 2003. No problems to report. This guy is part of a larger company trying to steal my business.

I'm going to put together some links to manufacturer pages which list 2003 compatibility and email them to him and my customer.

How would you refute this claim?

ROFL that guy doesn't have a clue.
Nearly every single chipset & motherboard can support Windows 2003.
Intel P35 supports Win2k3 and of course there are 2k3 drivers, and they're in the same package with the rest drivers available at Intel's download section.

As for this:

we have seen several cases when customers have tried to run 2003 server on desktop boards even from other manufacturers with subpar, unexpected or negative results whether it be an application they are running or just hardware issues itself.

You are a noob, and your customers are more than likely noobs as well :D :rofl:

Sorry for that dude, but when you don't have a clue, your best move is to... shut the **** up.

If you need any help yankee let me know ;)

yankee
08-15-2008, 06:21 AM
Get this, I came back with a recommendation for a Supermicro board, which according to them, not intel, will run server '03. This is what he had to say.

we have been down that road also with supermicro with the same negative results......basically if you look close on how they say it it pretty much means that you can get the OS installed on a bare minimum config....they really dont guarantee anything else.......fyi supermicro is notorious making claims and certifying components when at the end of the day it actually does not work or if it does you end up with random problems or other issues......in my eyes if intel themselves does not support a certain OS or have drivers with their own chipsets it really is hard for me to be comfortable with supermicro or any other third party mainboard manufacturer to make the claim that they do...this board will work great with xp pro all day long but intel themselves is adamant about not running desktop boards with server class operating systems....

This guy has something to say about everything. I'm looking at other chipsets, like intel 3000, but really have no clue what's what.

Thanks guys for reaffirming my sanity. It's frustrating when a guy like this comes along and makes you question yourself.

P.S. Is there anything official I can point this guy to and say OWNED!

Xenogias
08-15-2008, 03:27 PM
Just tell him that you will gaurantee it. There's not much he can argue with if his money isn't at stake. FWIW I run 2003 R2 SP2 and an Abit IP35-E and have had no problems. Recognizes all 4GB of ram and stable as a rock. All drivers installed right off the disk. I believe Abit even mentions 2003 support on the driver disk that came with it.

ak_47_boy
08-17-2008, 04:12 PM
Most laptops and desktops with integrated video and audio will have driver issues with 2003.

tiro_uspsss
08-17-2008, 05:21 PM
Most laptops and desktops with integrated video and audio will have driver issues with 2003.

lol - or not - laptops.. mm, maybe; dektops - please specify, cause I highly doubt - besides, as someone has already said, XP drivers for Server03

BenchZowner
08-17-2008, 11:22 PM
Yeap, that's not true.
Mobo's and laptops with integrated audio & video work fine in Win2k3, just as good as in XP.