PDA

View Full Version : I will never ever laugh at other peoples mistakes, again..

Eddie3dfx
08-13-2008, 06:20 PM
as I was the first to do so until today lol.
I had this system rigged up perfectly.
Only thing I had to do with was find a wire extended for the power on the graphics cards and a few more leds for the alphacool bay holes.
Had it rigged up and it was gorgeous.. The lights.. the colors... the way I wired everything.

Instead of taking pictures. I decided to overclock a bit and test the waters, unfortunately my system took this Literally.
While I was playing call of duty 4, just as I was planting a bomb, I felt blinded. Water shot out so far it shot all over me, in my case, and all over everything.
I immediately was stunned by lunged for the psu cord.
I soaked everything in towels and cleaned everything.. Took about 15 minutes.
Boot up again.. I got a C1 error on the 780i..
Great I'm thinking dead motherboard. <sigh> Tried all 4 slots on the memory, but one booted up.
Called up evga, didn't tell them what I did, but they said it's a memory error.
I have a feeling something got shorted.

All in all I am a dumbass.
Why did this happen? All of the tubing was attached to barbs with zip ties, sometimes 2-3.
This one was the one piece of 3/8" tubing that I spent 5 minutes getting on a 1/2" npt barb... No ziptie on this one.. the only one.
No way that sucker was getting off.. well it did.
Lesson learned..

:shrug::down:

Hopefully it's just a voltage error and I don't have to rma this thing.

BlueAqua
08-13-2008, 06:23 PM
Oh that sucks. Sounds like a good time to take pictures of the damage for us to enjoy and share your pain.

Time to buy some more crap.

sirheck
08-13-2008, 06:27 PM
*Thinks he should put zipties or some type of clamps on his tubes*:eek:

twwen2
08-13-2008, 06:32 PM
Ouch. Hope everything gets sorted out and there's not too much damage.

Eddie3dfx
08-13-2008, 06:33 PM
Ouch. Hope everything gets sorted out and there's not too much damage.

Yeah, looks like everything is fine.. worst comes to worse I would have to rma the motherboard.
I'm using it right now and only 1 memory stick is booting.
Could of shorted out the memory controller, but I'll test it more later.
Everything else seems to work properly.
I'm getting a C1 error when booting in memory slots 2-4

It could have been a lot worse.

Navanod
08-13-2008, 06:36 PM
IMHO, you should've dried off the things more before powering up.
15mins and just towel wiping is not enough

I would use a hairdryer on the thing for long enough to heat the board up to the point where it hurts to touch. that should cook off any water between the cracks

Eddie3dfx
08-13-2008, 06:39 PM

I would use a hairdryer on the thing for long enough to heat the board up to the point where it hurts to touch. that should cook off any water between the cracks

Yeah, oops, sorry, to clarify I dried it up with a towel then I used a hairdryer for 5 minutes.
I didn't want to take any chances.

sirheck
08-13-2008, 06:41 PM
Another way is alchohol 90%, pour it all over the place and blow out with air.

Loser777
08-13-2008, 06:42 PM
Man, that blows. If it were me, I wouldn't be worried about the initial damage, but it would be my OCD. I could never run a system that had been doused with a clear head.

DarthBeavis
08-13-2008, 06:44 PM
Something is wrong with this story . . .3/8 tubing does not come off of a 1/2 barb at the pressure a D5 pump puts out unless the fluid is really heated . . .what were your temps when you oc'd it? were you monitoring temps?

Boyu
08-13-2008, 06:47 PM
How can 3/8" tubing that slip to 1/2" barb cause leak?, i have been using 7/16" tubing over 1/2" barb without using any clamp and zip ties and have no problem for over 1,5 year running water cooling, maybe i need to have clamp after reading this post.

Eddie3dfx
08-13-2008, 06:49 PM
Something is wrong with this story . . .3/8 tubing does not come off of a 1/2 barb at the pressure a D5 pump puts out unless the fluid is really heated . . .what were your temps when you oc'd it? were you monitoring temps?

Yes, of course. Had speedfan up and temps were good.
Was also messing with the fan controller adjusting speeds to temps as well. Everything was fully monitored except that one barb that I forgot about <sigh>
If it makes a difference, it was very thin wall 3/8 tygon and not the 5/8 od kind.

ownage
08-13-2008, 06:51 PM
How can 3/8" tubing that slip to 1/2" barb cause leak?, i have been using 7/16" tubing over 1/2" barb without using any clamp and zip ties and have no problem for over 1,5 year running water cooling, maybe i need to have clamp after reading this post.

Then your rig is a time bomb!

Sparky
08-13-2008, 07:09 PM
Clamps. ALWAYS use them. "It won't come off" is a disaster waiting to happen.
I don't trust zipties though, I use these. Better safe than sorry IMO!

http://www.aapsa.com.au/awshop/images/MO4L-LRG.jpg

Th3MadScientist
08-13-2008, 07:22 PM
the only explanation that I find is that the tube got warm and expanded and just slipped off.

Navanod
08-13-2008, 07:33 PM
Clamps. ALWAYS use them. "It won't come off" is a disaster waiting to happen.
I don't trust zipties though, I use these. Better safe than sorry IMO!

http://www.aapsa.com.au/awshop/images/MO4L-LRG.jpg

I dun even trust these as the screw area has a gap where the tubing tend to bunch up and cause leaks

twwen2
08-13-2008, 07:36 PM
I dun even trust these as the screw area has a gap where the tubing tend to bunch up and cause leaks

Compression fittings for you then i guess?;)

majestik
08-13-2008, 07:37 PM
...what?

Just use more force. And for the paranoid in you, there are screw-drive clamps with liner, to prevent any damage to the tubing.

lyl
08-13-2008, 07:38 PM
Why did this happen?

This was probably the mistake...

I soaked everything in towels and cleaned everything.. Took about 15 minutes.
Boot up again..

systemviper
08-13-2008, 07:50 PM
the only explanation that I find is that the tube got warm and expanded and just slipped off.

I have seen that before, and it is logical. you heat it up to get it on and then the water in the hose reheats it , makes it pliable and BAM you got a pressure release...

DarthBeavis
08-13-2008, 07:58 PM
I have seen that before, and it is logical. you heat it up to get it on and then the water in the hose reheats it , makes it pliable and BAM you got a pressure release...
That makes sense. I lube the tubing to get it on with coolant so no expansion problems. I had a massive leak with both pumps died with gpus only in the loop . . .fluid all over mobo and psu. 3/8 Tygon one 1/2 EK barbs came loose. This ONLY happened due to fluid heating.

MoosePower
08-14-2008, 01:51 AM
That same thing almost happened to me, but it was a leaky barb on my gfx block. By boosting the ddr2 voltage up to 2.1v the issue was resolved. There was a giant pool of water beneath my gfx, luckily it didn't damage anything.

MomijiTMO
08-14-2008, 02:02 AM
It is going to happen to everyone at some stage. I haven't had any crazy leaks but it will happen.

lyl
08-14-2008, 04:42 AM
That same thing almost happened to me, but it was a leaky barb on my gfx block. By boosting the ddr2 voltage up to 2.1v the issue was resolved.

:confused: How does RAM voltage fix a leak?

Teqqles
08-14-2008, 05:12 AM
Had the same thing happen to me in January, 7/16 over 1/2 in barbs, took advice and left them unclamped - water everywhere, powered it off quickly, dried it out 15 minutes with a low heat hair drier and then left it 24 hours before powering back up - all hardware intact, its just one of those things I guess, just don't underestimate the power of your pump (and the power of central heating ;) )

Eddie3dfx
08-14-2008, 05:14 AM

The C1 error on the 780i.
Sorry, we just from subject to subject on here. lol

Utnorris
08-14-2008, 05:31 AM
That really sucks Eddie, hope you get it worked out.

Utnorris

Glyph
08-14-2008, 06:26 AM
Recently, after 14 months of wonderful reliable, leak free use, a hose popped off my rig in the middle of the night while it was crunching some numbers...

No warning and no indications before hand.

I woke up to find puddles on the floor and a dead computer.

$3000 up in smoke... or i guess in this case, sleeping with the fishes.

I feel for ya man, i really do.

aspire.comptech
08-14-2008, 07:37 AM
Recently, after 14 months of wonderful reliable, leak free use, a hose popped off my rig in the middle of the night while it was crunching some numbers...

Clamps, Clamps, Clamps...

Navanod
08-14-2008, 07:42 AM

it can't all be dead my friend...trouble shoot and you'll find its mostly the mobo thats dead

xTKxhom3r
08-14-2008, 07:45 AM
AAAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA wow that sucks bro!!! im sure everything working fine you just need to dry it up better try that 99% alcohol

Glyph
08-14-2008, 09:07 AM
Clamps, Clamps, Clamps...

I did clamp it... using those metal ring screw clamps.

In checking the damage i saw that for the tube that popped off, the plastic had softened to the point that the clamp was no longer sufficient to keep it on.

i'll be ordering $100 worth of compression fittings and replacing all the barbs with them when i rebuild my rig. small price to pay to keep the rig operational.

aspire.comptech
08-14-2008, 11:54 AM
You obviously didn't do something right, a properly installed worm drive clamp is enough to hold the tubing on while I hung from it.

Glyph
08-14-2008, 11:59 AM
ofcourse i did something wrong, i got bad tubing that softened too much over the year it was in use.

i'm getting new tubing and compression fittings.

The bottom line is, like the original poster, i ain't laughing at other people's mistakes either, cause i've made them myself.

systemviper
08-14-2008, 11:59 AM
You obviously didn't do something right, a properly installed worm drive clamp is enough to hold the tubing on while I hung from it.

Damn that must have been a sight, i know the small work drives are great, also i guess, like everything else you just got ot check it out every month or so.

I remember owning a sweet triumph 500, all black and chrome, with straight pipes, problem was, i had to check the bolts on a regular basis from all the vibration, oh i loved that bike. I remember comming home from the beach once and having to use a bungie cord to hold a side panel on, lol to be young again :ROTF:

gxavier
08-14-2008, 12:02 PM
I've noticed with some cheap tubing that after prolonged use on barbs w/clamps, the thin wall of plasic becomes compressed and more pliable. Whenever I reuse this tubing on a build, I always cut off an inch or two on the end so I don't have to worry about it.

So far I've been lucky... but several years before I got into watercooling, I spilt a bottle of gatorade down the exhaust vent in the top of my case. Dead GPU, dead Mobo, and several other dead things!

HaCKs
08-14-2008, 12:10 PM
Whenever I have had a leak in the past, I dry everything with paper towels and a hair dryer, and leave a fan sitting on it overnight. I would never try and boot it up 15 minutes later with drops of water sitting in the PCI slots.

mike8913
08-14-2008, 12:15 PM
first of all.....why would you zip tie every single fitting except one? irregardless of the tubing to fitting size, just why?

secondly, if you have a leak in the computer and manage to the power cut off in time, you clean everything up and let it sit with ventilation for at least a day to get rid of moisture.

where did you leave your common sense? . . . probably with the zip tie you forgot to attach.

Sparky
08-14-2008, 01:10 PM

If you crank it down too tight, it can. However, it just takes screwing it down until it snugs up and becomes more resistant to tightening. At that point it is holding the tubing on but not malforming it.

mpower1001
08-14-2008, 02:32 PM

:ROTF:

Eddie3dfx
08-14-2008, 02:42 PM
first of all.....why would you zip tie every single fitting except one? irregardless of the tubing to fitting size, just why?

secondly, if you have a leak in the computer and manage to the power cut off in time, you clean everything up and let it sit with ventilation for at least a day to get rid of moisture.

where did you leave your common sense? . . . probably with the zip tie you forgot to attach.

Hmm.
Where did I leave my common sense?
What is this an E-Fight? :up:

I left the zip tie off, so people like you could show me the way, daniel son.

mike8913
08-14-2008, 06:09 PM
I'm sorry, I don't mean to be aggressive but it just seems to me like a total blackout when you don't put a simple zip tie on something that obviously requires it.

Eddie3dfx
08-14-2008, 06:25 PM
I'm sorry, I don't mean to be aggressive but it just seems to me like a total blackout when you don't put a simple zip tie on something that obviously requires it.

I have over 36 barbs zip tied... 4 radiators, 2 sli, 2 ram blocks, 1 hardrive block, nb block, cpu block, mosfet block, 3 pumps..3 bay resevoirs..
It took me such a long time to put it on, no way was that sucka coming off. I was wrong.
I learned my lesson, thats for sure.

shabranigdo
08-14-2008, 09:49 PM
Sorry to hear and hope you work it out. But hey laugh at others, laugh at yourself its all good, if nothing else you chalk it up as a learning experience. I know myself I have had some doozies but I think if you can laugh it off you will live longer (or at least have fun with the time you get :p:) Building my case I have done a few frightfully dumb things, but still have all my fingers (some got a bit thinner when I was playing with the sander but who really needs fingerprints) On topic I plan on using metal worm drives, kinda wish I have gotten the compression fitting but I already bought a ton of barbs so I'll give that a try soon and hope for the best. Good luck resurecting your build and post some pictures!!!!!

RADCOM
08-23-2008, 08:38 PM
I had a similar incident when I was using fluorinert....the alphacool 510 or whatever pump it's called is very powerful especially when you dial it up to 24V. Anyway practical upshot is something in the loop blew and sprayed the precious £150 a gallon fluorinerrt all over the gaff. This is where it was advantageous using a totally non conductive water replacement nothing was damaged except the loss of the precious fluid. Lots of people have probably had this experience but kept it to themselves. We all want our rigs up and running in the quickest times without the necessary testing period :) just referring my honourable gentleman to the post here...... http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=199003&page=3

ShadedNine
08-24-2008, 12:50 AM
It's amazing how much a little pressure applied constantly over a period of time can manage. It's kind of like trying to hold something heavy up with duct tape. Sure, you can tape the thing to death, but give it some time to pull at the tape and eventually it'll come crashing down. In the same way, enough time with a tiny little bit of force pushing your tubing away from the barb can undo 5 minutes of the hardest pushing.

Eddie3dfx
08-24-2008, 04:06 AM
i agree unless was some cheap tubing that can't take heat well, turned to mush an slid off barb for was too short to begin with.

Not Cheap, thin walled tygon :shrug:

jcool
08-24-2008, 04:59 AM
This is why I only use screw-in fittings.. only way to be safe IMO.

Kougar
08-24-2008, 08:02 AM

Yeah, seriously. If water got into everything like you are saying, then it will take hours before it starts to dry out in some places. Inside chokes, underneath motherboard components between them and the PCB, inside sockets... I bet there is still some inside your memory slots causing that. Or underneath the northbridge chipset.

Believe it or not there is a roughly 0.5mm gap of space between the northbridge chip and the motherboard PCB, and if water gets under there only compressed air will get it out. If you wait for it to dry on it's own it will take a day or two.

Yeah, oops, sorry, to clarify I dried it up with a towel then I used a hairdryer for 5 minutes.
I didn't want to take any chances.

Unless you used a hairdryer on the entire mainboard, under the chipset wafer, and the memory slots I'm pretty sure ya still had water in the hardware. :rolleyes:

[XC] Synthetickiller
08-24-2008, 08:38 AM
Funny, I've been running for a year w/ no clamps. Well, no, I have 1 clamp on the cpu block, but without having a rubber lining inside the clamp, it can't hold tight and would leak, so I didn't install the second clamp.

I have not had any leaks in over a year. If you shove the tubing far enough over the barb, you're golden IMO. If you can't get it over the barb, do some grip work, its not that hard. ;)

Circaflex
08-24-2008, 08:55 AM
Please dont RMA your board, it was YOUR fault, you caused the problem. This is one reason board prices are so high, we have people spilling water, getting condensation on them, or physically damaging the board and "scamming" the RMA system. :down:

Eddie3dfx
08-24-2008, 09:06 AM
Please dont RMA your board, it was YOUR fault, you caused the problem. This is one reason board prices are so high, we have people spilling water, getting condensation on them, or physically damaging the board and "scamming" the RMA system. :down:

Just to clear something up, the problem that I experienced after the spill, which never touched the board, was the same problem I had before the spill.. C1 error on the memory controller.
So it was to be rma'd either way.
I used the board after the spill and had the same c1 problems on slots 2-4 that I had before, so everything was A-Okay in terms of the water... There was zero damage.. still using the board now, as I am typing this.
The Rma was for a prior problem and in the process.
I certainly didn't cause the c1 error before hand, as evga stated it's a problem that many 780i boards experience... went through 4-5 tech support chats and forums to guide me through.
Save your morality bs for someone else, no offense. It doesn't apply at all here.

Circaflex
08-24-2008, 01:48 PM
"Save your morality bs for someone else, no offense. It doesn't apply at all here."

im not the only one that feels that way.

"I soaked everything in towels and cleaned everything.. Took about 15 minutes.
Boot up again.. I got a C1 error on the 780i..
Great I'm thinking dead motherboard. <sigh> Tried all 4 slots on the memory, but one booted up.
Called up evga, didn't tell them what I did, but they said it's a memory error.
I have a feeling something got shorted."

seems like water caused that, you didnt mention c1 errors other than after your watercooling spilled, seems like your backtracking on what happened/your word? Im just giving my opinion and it looks like you are at fault, especially when water spills over everything when its turned on, thats your fault. Im not here to fight and argue though, just giving my 2cents

Eddie3dfx
08-24-2008, 02:03 PM
im not the only one that feels that way.

Well I'm not sure you understand..
The board was under RMA before the spill due to a c1 error.
Spill occurred.. zero damage.. just same c1 memory problem.
So when I say, don't lecture me on morality, I really think you aren't reading what I'm writing.
No where did I say I was rmaing a trashed board because of a watercooling error.
I RMA the board because of a previous C1 error that was already in the rma process.

I got a C1 error on the 4th slot, which I normally don't get, since thats the boot memory slot.
The reason I got it was because I pulled the plug, hence it cleared it.
Anytime I pull the plug, the 4th slot ends up in c1. At first I thought it was fried, but then I realized it happens anytime I pull the plug.
your cause is lost as my rma was issued before I even started watercooling it..

Lets not argue over something that never happened.
I understand your thought on people trashing a board and getting a free rma, I'm just saying thats not the case here.

Circaflex
08-24-2008, 02:22 PM
:up: again not trying to bash or trash you no hard feelings :toast:

Eddie3dfx
08-24-2008, 02:27 PM
:up: again not trying to bash or trash you no hard feelings :toast:

:up: