PDA

View Full Version : EK Southbridge blocks for 790i mistake??

aireent777
08-13-2008, 11:18 AM
I was concerned about the release of a new EK Southbridge water block for the 790i

http://ekwaterblocks.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=278

I recently ordered water blocks from EK two weeks ago and it includes the EK-NB/SB-6. Take note that this block is compatible with the 790i as you can see in their compatibility chart(you can also find it in the link above).

I was even confirmed by EK support that there's no problem regarding compatibility on the 790i because the chart clearly shows it. He said the chart is even updated til July 2008. So I proceed with my order.

If you see here:

http://ekwaterblocks.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=21_32&products_id=263

the EK-NB/SB-6 mentioned doesn't support 790i boards, only 780i. What is this? This is very confusing and my blocks are on their way.

Funny thing here is 2 weeks ago, stores like Frozencpu, sidewinder and ppcs didn't put those "EK-NB/SB 6 is only supported with EVGA and XFX 780i boards. Instead I saw EK-NB/SB-6 Northbridge Chipset water block nothing more, that's why I was asking EK to confirm that if it was compatible with 790i boards, and they said yes.
The measurements of mounting hole distances was not even there before (I hope someone also is aware of this) and now the stores have these measurements now. I think they have just updated their website on this item.

The argument here is clearly the Compatibility Chart they are giving to consumers strongly contradicts with what is written on their website.

I hope somebody from EK resolves this.:down::down::down::down:

Jamesrt2004
08-13-2008, 11:22 AM
contact them ? just say i was told this i have proof etc, show them the chart + the email from them and get your money back and/or ask to upgrade to the "new" block that will come for 790i

thats what I would do

bad mistake by EK though

Warboy
08-13-2008, 11:23 AM
this shouldn't be in news, it should be in the water cooling section.

Kunaak
08-13-2008, 11:28 AM
this isnt news, dont go posting things in high traffic areas just cause you want to make the most noise.

everything has a area, and the news area isnt a place for trying to publicly crucify someone.

Razor_Blade
08-13-2008, 12:41 PM
Now that it is in the right place, I have to say that I agree. I bought the sb 6 and it is now a paperweight. It doesn't leave enough room for a graphics card, even if it is water cooled. Kinda pissed me off TBH.

skinnee
08-13-2008, 01:39 PM
This wouldn't be the first time the compatibility chart was wrong or was changed without notice. EK originally had a YES for Tri-SLI support on the SIIE, ordered my blocks, happened to check the chart again from the EK site and it had been changed to NO.

0xdeadbeef
08-13-2008, 01:44 PM
I was concerned about the release of a new EK Southbridge water block for the 790i

http://ekwaterblocks.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=278

I recently ordered water blocks from EK two weeks ago and it includes the EK-NB/SB-6. Take note that this block is compatible with the 790i as you can see in their compatibility chart(you can also find it in the link above).

I was even confirmed by EK support that there's no problem regarding compatibility on the 790i because the chart clearly shows it. He said the chart is even updated til July 2008. So I proceed with my order.

If you see here:

http://ekwaterblocks.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=21_32&products_id=263

the EK-NB/SB-6 mentioned doesn't support 790i boards, only 780i. What is this? This is very confusing and my blocks are on their way.

Funny thing here is 2 weeks ago, stores like Frozencpu, sidewinder and ppcs didn't put those "EK-NB/SB 6 is only supported with EVGA and XFX 780i boards. Instead I saw EK-NB/SB-6 Northbridge Chipset water block nothing more, that's why I was asking EK to confirm that if it was compatible with 790i boards, and they said yes.
The measurements of mounting hole distances was not even there before (I hope someone also is aware of this) and now the stores have these measurements now. I think they have just updated their website on this item.

The argument here is clearly the Compatibility Chart they are giving to consumers strongly contradicts with what is written on their website.

I hope somebody from EK resolves this.:down::down::down::down:

Hello aireent777, I really don't understand your question. Did you get the EK NB/SB 6 and now have a question whether it works with the SB/MCP on the 790i reference mobo? The answer is YES.

The EK-SB VGA 790i also works with 790i reference mobos. It's mainly designed for people with 3-way SLI who can't use the other water block. It's not obvious from the picture but you mount the EK-SB VGA 790i with 2 screws, one screw is mounted from behind and is not shown in the pictures.

Hopes this helps.

NaeKuh
08-13-2008, 01:47 PM
blah...

the reason why EK said it would fit is because the sb on both the 680 and 780 and 790i were identical.

Best thing to do is let eddie know. He's not the type to lie and cheat his customers.

skinnee
08-13-2008, 02:01 PM
I'm not even trying to insinuate that Eddy would try to lie or cheat his customers...just that the data published on that sheet needs to be verified before being published.

aireent777
08-13-2008, 10:19 PM
contact them ? just say i was told this i have proof etc, show them the chart + the email from them and get your money back and/or ask to upgrade to the "new" block that will come for 790i

thats what I would do

bad mistake by EK though
That's exactly what I'm going to do. Thanks

Warboy;3214744']this shouldn't be in news, it should be in the water cooling section.
Sorry. I didn't know. Thought everybody should know and that's news. Just trying to help those who's also misinformed bout this.

This wouldn't be the first time the compatibility chart was wrong or was changed without notice. EK originally had a YES for Tri-SLI support on the SIIE, ordered my blocks, happened to check the chart again from the EK site and it had been changed to NO.
I wished I could get that chart you are referring to, but as you can see, the chart now(7/2008) is still saying yes to Tri-SLI support for the 790i

Hello aireent777, I really don't understand your question. Did you get the EK NB/SB 6 and now have a question whether it works with the SB/MCP on the 790i reference mobo? The answer is YES.

The EK-SB VGA 790i also works with 790i reference mobos. It's mainly designed for people with 3-way SLI who can't use the other water block. It's not obvious from the picture but you mount the EK-SB VGA 790i with 2 screws, one screw is mounted from behind and is not shown in the pictures.

Hopes this helps.
0xdeadbeef, the EK-NB/SB-6 I ordered is still on it's way, I only presumed that it won't work because if you can see the description for that block on all the stores "now" who has it (even at EK's website) states that it is only supported by XFX and EVGA 780i boards (which I didn't see 3 weeks ago, I don't know what happened, they kinda changed it suddenly), and to think that the EK chart clearly contradicts that, so there's should be some explaination to do from EK.

I'm not even trying to insinuate that Eddy would try to lie or cheat his customers...just that the data published on that sheet needs to be verified before being published.
Exactly.

aireent777
08-13-2008, 10:34 PM
this isnt news, dont go posting things in high traffic areas just cause you want to make the most noise.

everything has a area, and the news area isnt a place for trying to publicly crucify someone.

First of all, I'm not trying to make noise, Just trying to help and inform the public.

Second, for me this is news, in the sense that I'm trying to make news(getting information to the public) to those who already purchased or still planning to purchase this item.

Third, I'm not crucifying anybody. What I did is my "RIGHT" to get the correct information from manifacturers like EK so there will be no misinformation of the public in this case.

aireent777
08-13-2008, 10:51 PM
Just contacted Eddy and he told me quote "It is also for 790i No worries". So as you can see this is getting more confusing. This is clearly misinforming the public. So the stores selling the EK-NB/SB-6 chipset water block should correct this and add 790i compatible/support for this item but not Tri-SLI. As for the compatibility chart, the support for 790i Tri-SLI should be changed to NO for this block. I hope that clears everything.

skinnee
08-13-2008, 11:43 PM
I wished I could get that chart you are referring to, but as you can see, the chart now(7/2008) is still saying yes to Tri-SLI support for the 790i.

I was referring to the Asus SIIE 790i, the EVGA and XFX are different board layouts.

0xdeadbeef
08-14-2008, 01:29 AM
Just contacted Eddy and he told me quote "It is also for 790i No worries". So as you can see this is getting more confusing. This is clearly misinforming the public. So the stores selling the EK-NB/SB-6 chipset water block should correct this and add 790i compatible/support for this item but not Tri-SLI. As for the compatibility chart, the support for 790i Tri-SLI should be changed to NO for this block. I hope that clears everything.

aireent777, 3-way SLI is supported with the EK-NB/SB-6. I'm using it myself right now with 8800 GTXs and EK-FC8800 water blocks. However, with certain combinations of fittings, big bore tubing and water blocks the EK-NB/SB-6 might not work for you. In that case you can try the EK-SB VGA 790i as a fallback.

aireent777
08-14-2008, 01:59 AM
aireent777, 3-way SLI is supported with the EK-NB/SB-6. I'm using it myself right now with 8800 GTXs and EK-FC8800 water blocks. However, with certain combinations of fittings, big bore tubing and water blocks the EK-NB/SB-6 might not work for you. In that case you can try the EK-SB VGA 790i as a fallback.

Okey I'll have to wait for the block to come in and try it myself. Anyway, I have already talked to Eddy regarding this and he said he will soon update the compatibility chart.