PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade Path?

lessonz
08-13-2008, 08:29 AM
I've looked at some of the threads, particularly perkam's, but I was looking for some in depth answers and I didn't want to hijack that thread.

Okay, so I have a pretty sweet rig right now. I've got an 8800Ultra, single Raptor for boot and apps (a larger drive for storage), 4GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2 800, PC Power & Cooling Silencer750, and the beauty: a Q6600 @ 3.2. My Asus P5K Premium made it easy.

The trouble is I now find myself in need of a second machine. I could build a cheaper machine and be content, but I thought I'd see if I could get a better machine and use my old one as the step down.

This is a whole new build, so I'm thinking $2500 including a monitor. Games will definitely be the most demanding use. Also, I do some programming, but nothing too demanding. I want to build by the end of the month or there abouts. I'm not interested in waiting for Nehalem (sp?).

Thoughts:
I've loved my Armor VA8003BWS with its 25cm side fan. I only use air cooled, so while I'd be open to a different suggestion, please talk about airflow.

I've been happy with the performance of my Big Typhoon cooler, but with a different case, a different solution might be better. I'd love that Chilltec, but that's pretty expensive.

I only need one DVD drive, preferably with lightscribe. My last drive was a LITE-ON OEM with no drivers. I found some custom drivers that did the trick, but manufacturer drivers would have been nice. (The issue with the generic drivers was it couldn't read a dual layer disc.)

My 8800Ultra, while blazing, has been the cause of my only crashes. I use a 64bit OS, and apparently NVidia's support for 64bit is not so great. I like the idea of an ATI again, but I have two concerns. 1) Heat, I've always used stock cooling for my graphics, but I hear these run hot. Please address this. 2) I haven't bought an ATI from anyone other than ATI, who are the top manufacturers? NOTE: The card doesn't have to be an ATI, but please address the cost/performance issue of say a 280. Also, will any of these be an actual improvement over my Ultra?

I'm assuming RAID is still not really that great of an idea if you don't plan on buying a dedicated controller, correct?

My Asus board has been great. I'm open to other brands, and I definitely don't know which chipset to go with. In the past, I've never been a fan of going the SLI/Crossfire route, but Crossfire is sounding pretty appealing right now. I hear great things about the P45 Biostars, but I have no experience with this maker.

Arctic Silver is still the paste of choice? Or is there something better at about the same price point?

Any recommendations on a better power supply at about the same price as the PC Power & Cooling? I've been happy with it, but I don't mind hearing about better.

I'm pretty set on DDR2 as you can't beat the price point. Right now I have 4 GB (4 x 1), but I'm wondering if 8 GB (4 x 2) might not be better. Again, you can't beat the price. My concern with the 4x2 is heat and timings. Any advice?

Last, but not least, the processor. I was very pleased with my Q6600 OC. I realize there are no guarantees, but what Quad can I hope to at least equal my 3.2 if not better it on air? Also, I believe the 45nm chips run cooler, right? I know there are a lot of people saying to go dual core right now, and I'd be willing to hear them out, but I personally believe before 3.2 is the limiting factor, programs will be better utilizing all four cores. I'd consider AMD, but I don't want to take a step back from my 3.2.

Thanks for any input.

lessonz
08-13-2008, 09:01 PM
Okay, so maybe some direct questions would help:

What are some cases with excellent airflow? Any particular CPU coolers work particularly well inside this case?

The 4870 and 4870x2 sound great, but how's the heat? Anyone running these with stock coolers? How's that working out? How's the 280's stock cooling situation?

Is RAID using the MB's controller worthwhile? Or is RAID only worthwhile with a RAID card?

Better PS at or near the price point of http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341011 ?

With DDR2, any reason to go 8 GB? 4GB better? 4x1 or 2x2?

What quad core can I be pretty sure of getting better than a 3.2 ghz OC? What's the board to do it with? Which chipset?

Thanks again.