PDA

View Full Version : Clother/Tumble dryer blowout?

skuliaxe
08-13-2008, 03:55 AM
I was wondering I anybody here had some general knowledge of Clothes/Tumble dryers and could help me out.

My clothes dryer keeps knocking out the main security in my apartment (Hope I translated this so itīs understandable). The security for the bathroom where the dryer is located doesn't switch off, but the main switch for the whole apartment. If I switch the security back up and turn the dryer ON it everything getīs knocked out again in 10 sec. to 1 minute.

The dryer is about 5 years old and has been working and there have been no electrical or connection changes in the house. Iīve tried plugging the dryer in another wall socked (also in the bathroom) but the same thing happens.

So I guess the dryer is where the problem is. What could be wrong? Could a security be blown out in the dryer?

Any help would be great :)

skuliaxe
08-13-2008, 06:01 AM
Lemme get this straight ? Your plugging a dryer into a normal wall socket ? How is that even possible dont they have different plugs for the washer and dyer.

Not in Iceland they donīt. The Clothes dryer is plugged in a normal 220v European type C wall socket (http://www.lakewoodconferences.com/direct/dbimage/50235766/Socket_Outlet_Double.jpg), always and everywhere in Iceland at least.

BlueAqua
08-13-2008, 06:51 AM
Do you know what the amperage rating on your breaker that your dryer is on? Do you have a special outlet that is just dedicated to the dryer? It could be a problem with the circuit breaker to the whole apartment, it may be tripping at the incorrect setting. Do you have a landlord or an apartment owner that can replace that?

Since it takes a few seconds for it to trip it's probably the breaker. Usually there are two different trip functions to a breaker. The instantaneous trip and the long delay trip. The instantaneous' current rating is lot higher than the long term trip rating.

Call and electrician or whoever is responsible for the property and have them check out the main breaker.

Entity_Razer
08-13-2008, 07:07 AM
Not in Iceland they donīt. The Clothes dryer is plugged in a normal 220v European type C wall socket (http://www.lakewoodconferences.com/direct/dbimage/50235766/Socket_Outlet_Double.jpg), always and everywhere in Iceland at least.

yup same here in belgium.

only we have the 2 holes you have and the ground line "sticking out" of the wall socket.

But yes, think your "security" as you call it isn't up to the challenge. (fuse is the right word btw)

twilyth
08-13-2008, 07:18 AM
Check the duct hose that goes from the dryer to the vent - vent will probably be on an exterior wall. Although I don't see why the dryer would draw more power if the vent were blocked. It's more likely that the clothes just won't dry properly and/or you'll get a lot of humidity in the bathroom.

It also doesn't explain why the apartment breaker flips off before the bathroom breaker does. That should never happen. I'm thinking out loud here, but I would go with the option already stated that the main breaker is malfunctioning. The only other thing I can think of - in light of the fact that it takes 10-60 seconds to go off - is that the main breaker has a faster switch than the bathroom breaker. Old style fuses were either slow blow or fast blow with the slow blow fuses allowing excess current for a longer period of time. Maybe breakers work in a similar way.

skuliaxe
08-14-2008, 01:17 AM
1) Do you know what the amperage rating on your breaker that your dryer is on?
2) Do you have a special outlet that is just dedicated to the dryer? It could be a problem with the circuit breaker to the whole apartment, it may be tripping at the incorrect setting.
3) Do you have a landlord or an apartment owner that can replace that?

Since it takes a few seconds for it to trip it's probably the breaker. Usually there are two different trip functions to a breaker. The instantaneous trip and the long delay trip. The instantaneous' current rating is lot higher than the long term trip rating.

Call and electrician or whoever is responsible for the property and have them check out the main breaker.

Thanks for the replies,
1) Sorry to say, I donīt know the amperage rating on the breaker. But the dryer has been plugged in the same wall outlet for over 2 years now.

2) No, all wall outlets are the same in my apartment. The Dryer is on top of the washing machine, in the bathroom where there are special water in/out pipes for the washing machine and a outlet. So that outlet should be for a washing machine/clothes dryer.

I never run them at the same time.

3) This is a students apartment and there I can call for assistance. But they charge like theyīre the king and Queen of the world. Changing a master-lock after a break in cost me about $200.

1) Check the duct hose that goes from the dryer to the vent - vent will probably be on an exterior wall. Although I don't see why the dryer would draw more power if the vent were blocked. It's more likely that the clothes just won't dry properly and/or you'll get a lot of humidity in the bathroom.

2) It also doesn't explain why the apartment breaker flips off before the bathroom breaker does. That should never happen. I'm thinking out loud here, but I would go with the option already stated that the main breaker is malfunctioning. The only other thing I can think of - in light of the fact that it takes 10-60 seconds to go off - is that the main breaker has a faster switch than the bathroom breaker. Old style fuses were either slow blow or fast blow with the slow blow fuses allowing excess current for a longer period of time. Maybe breakers work in a similar way.

1) This is actually a Ventless dryer. But yesterday I open the back and checked for dust/fluff buildup but there didnīt seem to be any buildup. The motor and belt looks good and is fairly easy to spin with my fingers.

Although the drum itself wasn't as easy to turn.

2) Thatīs what I was thinking. The bathroom breaker should flip.

Doesn't my problem point to the dryer if:
My washing machine, connected to the same outlet works just fine with no breaker going out.