PDA

View Full Version : EVGA 6800Ultra Query

Wellcomef3-a
08-12-2008, 05:43 PM
Hi people, I have an EVGA 6800Ultra AGP graphics card that I am using in a combined Phase/Watercooling rig and am unsure of what something on the card is or does. The best way I can describe what it is is that at the far (molex power plugs) end just before the capacitors is what looks like a metal mosfet heatsink which is about 1/4" wide and 2.6" long and actually made of plastic. This unreal heatsink is fixed to the card by 2 pushpins - the ones that when you push them the opposite end has an expanded triple leg which you have to compress to push back through the plastic part to remove it. Anyway after removing this part I found that it covered 5 small, shallow metal electrical components, with a marking on each surface, one of them is:

VT1103S
AE0432

Now can anyone tell me what these components are and would it be safe to cover them with a proper copper heatsink such as the Enzotech MOS-C1 Motherboard/Video Card Mosfet Heatsink because I cannot understand why plastic would be used as a material for a heatsink? :shrug: if that is indeed what they are, or is the plastic component just a plain cover to prevent damage to the small, shallow metal component?

So can anyone help me here? I could upload a photograph of the card if it would help any. Thanks!

Nanometer
08-12-2008, 07:39 PM
A picture is worth a thousand words or something along those lines. Let's have it!

Wellcomef3-a
08-12-2008, 11:00 PM
Here we are, there are 3 blue/silver and 2 gold components, I have covered up the waterblock because of bright reflections when taking the pictures. Anybody have any idea if I can use proper copper mosfet coolers rather than the plastic wanna-be cooler?

Vatos_locos
08-12-2008, 11:03 PM
swifteck has some mosfet cooler that will fit perfectly there ;)

Nanometer
08-12-2008, 11:29 PM
probably voltage regulators since they are right next to the chokes, but I don't know for sure.

Wellcomef3-a
08-13-2008, 12:35 PM
Nanometer, what are the chokes you are referring to and what do they do?

So do you think it would be safe covering the "voltage regulators" with the Enzotech Mosfet Heatsinks shown below?

Wellcomef3-a
08-13-2008, 12:46 PM
swifteck has some mosfet cooler that will fit perfectly there ;)

Vatos_locos, are you talking about the SwiftTech black aluminium mosfet cooler used for the nVidia 8800 series graphics cards? IIRC they are approx. 20mm long and 6mm wide; I think the Enzotechs are a better choice because they fit the component to a "T". Thanks for the suggestion though! ;)

Plan.B
08-13-2008, 06:16 PM
I believe those are digital vrm's (voltage regulators), and the heatsink is aluminum, not plastic. drop it on concrete (the heatsink) and listen to the sound, it's metal. On my 6800u I removed the heatsink, cleaned off the stock thermal interface material, cut the heatsink into 2 parts (one longer for the three vrm's, and one shorter for the two vrm's), cut off the push-pin ends, and mounted them on the vrm's with artic silver thermal adhesive. when I volt modded the card (via the bios) the heatsinks were quite warm to the touch.

Nanometer
08-13-2008, 06:36 PM
I actually have no idea what chokes do. I think they are supposed to smooth the voltage out or something. all I know is that you pretty much always see them when there's something that requires a large voltage supply.

Vatos_locos
08-14-2008, 01:29 AM
Vatos_locos, are you talking about the SwiftTech black aluminium mosfet cooler used for the nVidia 8800 series graphics cards? IIRC they are approx. 20mm long and 6mm wide; I think the Enzotechs are a better choice because they fit the component to a "T". Thanks for the suggestion though! ;)

yheap i have some of those on one Gtx and they are fine even in those Pwm that you want to put them sure the enzotechs are better they are cooper :p but i didn't know that they exist :rofl:i haven't seen those here in Greece

I actually have no idea what chokes do. I think they are supposed to smooth the voltage out or something. all I know is that you pretty much always see them when there's something that requires a large voltage supply.

Chokes and Cap's filters the Voltages so you now what the do :p you said your self :D

Wellcomef3-a
08-14-2008, 12:48 PM
I believe those are digital vrm's (voltage regulators), and the heatsink is aluminum, not plastic. drop it on concrete (the heatsink) and listen to the sound, it's metal. On my 6800u I removed the heatsink, cleaned off the stock thermal interface material, cut the heatsink into 2 parts (one longer for the three vrm's, and one shorter for the two vrm's), cut off the push-pin ends, and mounted them on the vrm's with artic silver thermal adhesive. when I volt modded the card (via the bios) the heatsinks were quite warm to the touch.

I do believe you are correct sir! To confirm what you said I filed the heatsink and you can tell straight away the difference between when filing plastic and filing aluminium. :up: Even though it is made from aluminium, I will still use the Enzotechs because the stock VRM heatsink does not have good contact with them (the VRMs).

Those are the black square components beneath the VRM's, yes?