PDA

View Full Version : If the MOBO says no, or stop drinking !

Kondik
08-12-2008, 03:42 PM
Early morning guys

Yesterday I had a tiny problem , my sound card was't detected and the system said , no audio device installed. I looked propperly at the slot but the Creative was there, blue glow from the shiny X-Fi logo = working. So i turned the PC off disconnected the Elite Pro console pulled out the fdd power conector and powered the machine on. The bios IRQ detector said there is the soundcard in the 1st PCI slot , Windows = No Audio Device inside. I took the creative and digged out the ADI Sound MAX bug which kame with the Rampage board, turned it on in bios ... System loading , Sound Max bla bla detected installing drivers ... hmm busted X -Fi I thought , instalation done ... no Audio Device detected ... What ? Didn't I just saw a sucessfull installation of the SoundMAx ? Allright , restart, same thing. I took the whole Internal PC organ network put it on my table, nothing , I tried 3 Cards no Audio device , then i took the Soundcard and put it in a different slot , audio device found drivers instaled ... so just for the curiosity i put it back intro the slot before ... Audio device OK, so I started to think I must be nuts, powered the PC off took care of a couple of things powered the PC on , ASUS Display - DET RAM , allright man dead ram .. powered it off , powered it back on .. DET RAM. Took 2 modules out PC booted fine, Turned it off sticked back those two modules ... booted without any problems.

The main question is ... MOBO Issue ? It started 2 days ago [ Maybe, it was a bit of weird and unstable but one BSOD per 5 days, who cares ] when I flashed the old 0403 BIOS for the new 0407 downloaded from the ASUS webpage and flashed in through the Bios EZ application through USB key. Should this be the BIOS problem and the 0407 is useless or the board is dying and I should say bye bye to her and RMA It or it's the memmory problem from your point of view [ Thank god of my paranoia I have a spare MOBO ]. Because loosing components "on The Fly" Isn't that funny, one restart and one piece of HW missing.

Tried it without OC and with it, same results, dissapearing components that after switching ports and pluging back worked.

Every logical explanation / friendly advice is welcome.

Nasgul
08-12-2008, 03:59 PM
It's 8pm here right now.

IMO, RMA time.

Memory shouldn't be an issue with the IRQ, problem is the board and its BIOS version that won't recognize your SC. So RMA IMO.

philbrown23
08-12-2008, 04:31 PM
damn asus! they do this to us on purpose! They make their boards so damn sexy that you just cant resist, then you find out it's nothing but a 2 dollar whore!

xdrift0rx
08-12-2008, 06:06 PM
i have the same problem with my razer AC-1 right now. it worked for a few weeks then it just died...im in the process of RMAing it right now but damn theyre slow on responding. its kind of annoying. im in no rush though..thank god.

Kondik
08-12-2008, 11:45 PM
i have the same problem with my razer AC-1 right now. it worked for a few weeks then it just died...im in the process of RMAing it right now but damn theyre slow on responding. its kind of annoying. im in no rush though..thank god.

The thing is , the card works perfectly , but it's detected by the OS after i reseat it's slot and then return it back, then its there the memory issue. I'll probably use the spare MOBO and check it on that one

Kondik
08-14-2008, 12:29 AM
I give up,

I formated the whole PC installed the x64 Vista again ,
Intel Linpack64 for 7150 MB 8 times repeat , one test 500 sec so 4800 Sec in total
Passed Memtest, Passed OCCT , Passed that useless Passmark Burn In test
Then I clicked options on Miranda IM and BSOD. I tried it also on the 2nd mobo but it looks
like it was screwed more than my ASUS is so Gigabyte RMA no 2 [ That distributor is pretty retarded, I returned a clean mobo
I got back a messy piece of :banana: ] I don't know what can be the issue anymore,

All is on stock

V core is 1.2 ~ 1.25
NB 1.35 V
RAM 2.1 V
SB 1.55 V
FSB 1.2 V
PPL 1.6 V

Everything works fine , responds fast until I do something really ligh , editing an 200 kB TXT file and I get an BSOD and after that It won't boot back until it re-restarts itself to the safe stock config.

Any thoughts ?

nanohead
08-15-2008, 04:52 AM
First of all, NEVER stop drinking. That may be your problem right there :rofl:

Sounds like it could be a software problem. I would use Driver Cleaner to remove the X-Fi drivers, as as well as ALL audio drivers. But it is IMPERATIVE to make sure that the motherboard audio is DISABLED if you expect any add in sound card to work consistently.

Start from a known baseline. Memory has nothing to do with IRQs as nasgul says. Totally different subsystems.

Check BIOS to make sure that the the IRQs are handled dynamically by the mainboard.

After you're created a stable baseline, with NO audio drivers, and no sound cards, as well as making sure your mobo is allocating IRQs correctly, now you can reinstall and see what happens.

Windows reads the IRQs from the mobo, and needs to do it correctly for the drivers to work properly and bring up the hardware.

You can use the Device manager in the hardware section, and check on the 'resources' tab after you install the sound card again. If there are conflicts, it will show you what the conflict is

[XC] Hicks121
08-15-2008, 05:08 AM
By any chance do you have an ATi VC? On my Max Formula, if I have the ATI HD audio drivers installed, it cause all sorts of crazieness, bsod's, random errors, took me forever to git it figured out.

Kondik
08-15-2008, 05:36 AM
I took just the MOBO cleaned it with high pressured aircans , reseated my Thermalright HR05 on NB and SB, put the MX-2 on the MOSFET's ,
Put my C2Q back , all 4 Corsair modules , Placed IFX 14 on the CPU , added 3 Noctua P12 fans, Put VGA in the bottom slot [ thanks to HR05 on SB and soundcard which will be placed in the upper PCI , because if I put GTX in the upper PCIE it heats my X-Fi Elite like hell and if I put it down it blocks the airflow from two Noctuas in the bottom ]
Flashed back the 0403 BIOS defalut , set everything on stock , put memories on 1066 and timings on def. Formated the raid took just one disk , instaled vista x64, turned off usual crap from the system , installed OCCT and Intel Linpack, OCCT for 4 Hours [ custom mix ] , passed , Intel Linpack 64 , 7200 MB +/- and repeat time 10, one test 420 sec +/- so 4200 sec of 100% burn, gues what, nothing 100% stable , then i reformated it used the RAID 0 with all 3 disks , repeated the process , nothing , not a single one error. Then i OCed my C2Q to 3.400 / 1600 FSB / 1.28V on core , dod the OCCT + Linpack test [ just shorter now just 2 hours ] , no god damn Error . Added the soundcard , repeated , no error. :shakes:

Through this exhausting testing three botles of sparkling water and one 0.75 L bottle of White Rum passed away :(