PDA

View Full Version : Viper Tight Bend from ViperJohn

LinusTech
08-12-2008, 03:02 PM
Looks like no one has posted this up yet. ViperJohn has a cool new product called a Viper Tight Bend or VTB. He uses a heating process and some special equipment he fabricated to pre-bend tubing to a radius that is not possible without the special treatment.

That means kink-free tubing and awesome flow even through tight turns.

Check out the photo on my blog at http://www.linustechtips.com

RickCain
08-12-2008, 03:16 PM
Interesting!

aspire.comptech
08-12-2008, 03:21 PM
Interesting. Hopefully it's reasonably priced...

philbrown23
08-12-2008, 03:22 PM
wow I could use a few of those, though I would rather just make them myself

NaeKuh
08-12-2008, 03:23 PM
how about you just soak the tubing in hot water and then bend while it cools down for the same effect?

Its really that simple.

i thought he made a bridge like the sli ones which are adjustable and had a copper 90.

This tube thing isnt something to be raving about.

Its actually something a lot of guru's been doing since home depot tubing days. Which means a VERY VERY LONG time ago.

Linus you should do it and sell small sections for CPU->NB subsections.

Apollo4g
08-12-2008, 03:30 PM
Interesting. Hopefully it's reasonably priced...

14.99 CAN$ at NCIX

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=32706 (http://http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=32706)

Zaskar
08-12-2008, 03:31 PM
Wonder if he is using some kind of mandrel bending system, with a bendable metal insert on the inside when heating the tube up to make sure it retains its exact circular inner shape throughout the bend. That cant be done normally without an insert, its how many metal tubes are bent.

aspire.comptech
08-12-2008, 03:46 PM
15 bucks!?!?!

Jesus christ I can buy 6 feet of tubing for that much...

Bojamijams
08-12-2008, 03:47 PM
Wonder if he is using some kind of mandrel bending system, with a bendable metal insert on the inside when heating the tube up to make sure it retains its exact circular inner shape throughout the bend. That cant be done normally without an insert, its how many metal tubes are bent.

Apparantly he used an autoclave according to Linux on NCIX forums.

Lloyd
08-12-2008, 03:48 PM
OH That's cool, i could do with a few of those

EDIT: Oh $15 each? Ouch atleast u should only need one or 2 per system. I can live with that when u think a barb is £3.99 (what $8 ish) these days (feser compression).

kinghong1970
08-12-2008, 04:29 PM
so, lemme get this straight... we're buying a u-shaped tube?

i thought it was some tubing that we can form and shape ourselves... THAT would have been AWESOME!!!

eXa
08-12-2008, 05:12 PM
Heh... just boil and bend urself. Lazy folks....

NaeKuh
08-12-2008, 05:22 PM
Heh... just boil and bend urself. Lazy folks....

Post 5

:D

Or there is a Plastic U ment for fish tanks. It goes on a Wet Dry filter. The old ones.

If you want to go the hard tube approach. All you need to do is cut down to needed length.

Navanod
08-12-2008, 05:33 PM
Apparantly he used an autoclave according to Linux on NCIX forums.

autoclave? I've that in ma lab
LOL :rofl:

I'll try that out and see if i can produce the same thing! :shocked:

LinusTech
08-12-2008, 06:05 PM
Yeah I don't think you'd be replicating this bend radius and the degree to which it is still round with a simple dip in hot water...

I'd like to see people try and check out the results though.

Whenever I've tried heating tubing it makes it MORE prone to kinking, not less.

Eddie3dfx
08-12-2008, 06:10 PM
15 bucks!?!?!

Jesus christ I can buy 6 feet of tubing for that much...

Yes, but a 90 degree delrin plus 2 barbs is about $10-15

eXa
08-12-2008, 06:52 PM
Yeah I don't think you'd be replicating this bend radius and the degree to which it is still round with a simple dip in hot water...

Daam, wish i had a picture of the tubing in my friends machine.
Well he has a Asus p5n32 with 2 mosfet, nb and cpu blocks and we made nice kink free bends all around there...
http://www.gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2006/11/p5n32.jpg

Sparky
08-12-2008, 06:56 PM
Yes, but a 90 degree delrin plus 2 barbs is about $10-15

That's why you use copper elbows or a plastic 90. Cheaper, and the copper elbows cause less restriction.

SNiiPE_DoGG
08-12-2008, 06:59 PM
just buy the primochill pro tubing, it is like invincible to kinking lol

Staudie
08-12-2008, 07:29 PM
If you hold the tube at a low pressure (air) and then slowly heat while bending and the tube it will hold the shape and not kink. :up:

Might work with just water pressure, but I've never done it that way before.

NaeKuh
08-12-2008, 07:30 PM

linus you dip with smart coils. Koolance has metal ones if you guys want those.

:rofl:

i thought u knew about that.

anyhow different note: 15 dollars?? :O

Linus how much tubing we getting?

id rather go back to these guys:
http://www.koolance.com/water-cooling/product_info.php?product_id=560
Tubing outer spring to help avoid kinks in tight areas. Steel with black plastic coating for 13mm (1/2") ID, 19mm (3/4") OD diameter tubing.

heres more colors and flavors
http://www.koolance.com/water-cooling/default.php?cPath=62_80

DarthBeavis
08-12-2008, 07:42 PM
I have an autoclave in my clinic . . .will try it. Anyone want to give me some ideas on what to do?

Also, nice DD demo rig there Linus . . .love the new rounded corners on the Towers . . .have you see the air-brushed Danger Den towers yet?

Kibbler
08-12-2008, 07:55 PM
I'm guessing something like a lubricated u-bolt thru the tube, then fire up the autoclave.

kiparosu
08-13-2008, 01:55 AM
What I do is bend the tubing until it kinks, but still allows a little water to flow. Stop the fans, let the water hit 40-45deg Celsius and let it run like this for 20mins, and then the tubing will auto-dekink :) Just my 2 cents.

ViperJohn
08-13-2008, 02:56 PM
It's kinda obvious the people here have never tried making preformed U-bend tubes. I see a lot of methods that will not work and one that might work once in several tries but only after going through a lot more $$$ Tygon and time than the price of a Viper Tend Bend Unit (from which you can cut two U-bends).

Here are the full spec's:

Tube Type = 1/2"ID x 11/16"OD Tygon
Lenght Before Forming = 20.250"
Native Hose Barb Spacing C to C = 2.50 - 3.00" (no tube bend stress range)
Minimum Hose Barb Spacing C to C = 2.00" (without tube kinking)
Maximum Hose Barb Spacing C to C = 3.50 - 4.00"
Number of U-Bends Obtainable per Unit = 2
Clamp Type/Size Typical/Recommended = Herbie Size "G"
Can Cut Symmetrical/Asymmetrical Leg Lenghts = Yes
Can Be Heated to Relax U-Bend Radius = Yes

Viper

NaeKuh
08-13-2008, 03:14 PM
What I do is bend the tubing until it kinks, but still allows a little water to flow. Stop the fans, let the water hit 40-45deg Celsius and let it run like this for 20mins, and then the tubing will auto-dekink :) Just my 2 cents.

ROFLMAO

No comment to this.

MasterOfTheReal
08-13-2008, 03:28 PM
That's incredibily expensive for what it is though at the end of the day.
Suits some I suppose on larger budgets. At the end of the day VJ's gear its the more expensive option for a lot of things.

zuess
08-13-2008, 03:34 PM
Interesting product for those wanting it.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention Linus, that's what this forum is about
new ideas, products.

Lloyd
08-13-2008, 04:03 PM
ROFLMAO

No comment to this.

no, me either :shrug:

eXa
08-13-2008, 08:36 PM
It's kinda obvious the people here have never tried making preformed U-bend tubes. I see a lot of methods that will not work and one that might work once in several tries but only after going through a lot more $$$ Tygon and time than the price of a Viper Tend Bend Unit (from which you can cut two U-bends).

Wich one do u think might work then...?

Kibbler
08-13-2008, 08:43 PM
And more importantly can we trust it to keep that shape once it's reheated by warm water?

LinusTech
08-13-2008, 10:27 PM
And more importantly can we trust it to keep that shape once it's reheated by warm water?

Yes.

ViperJohn
08-13-2008, 11:19 PM
Guy I see a lot of ways people have tried to make tight U-Bends here and Ihave used them all myself over the last 20 years of WC'ing.

Face it Smart coils are uglier than dirt, are a time consuming pain in the ass to work with and worst of all increase vastly increase the tube bend stress on the nose barbs and water blocks. Just try them on a 1/2" tube ID U-Bend with the hose barbs only 2 1/2 to 3" apart center to center. That is typical of a CPU to NorthBridge jump or an SLI/CF pair of GFX card (where you do not want tube bend stresses at all).

Yes you could make a ghetto U-Bend with copper fittings but they to look like crap plus you now have (4) extra hose clamp connection on unbarbed fittings. That is four more places for a water leak to develope and kill something a heck of a lot more expensive than a Viper Tight Bend. Also unless you are using a pair sweep copper tube 90's (Long Elbows), which are about $3.00 each at McMaster, you are increasing flow restriction in the loop.

Yes you could try and make your own but assuming you did ever succeed in making a couple of 2 1/2 native hose barb spaced U-bends without a kink or ID reduction how much time and Tygon do you think you would go through trying???

You can cut two U-Bends for each Viper Tight Bend unit. At 14.95, which is the NCIX Canadian $$$ price BTW, that is $7.50 per U-bend. $2.00 of that is Tygon that you would have to purchase to try and make your own. Now how much of your time is worth $5.00 per bend to try and make em. Screw around for an hour and you lost 10 bucks worth of your time and you still, in all probability, will not have a usable part to plumb with.

The VTB's are fast to cut and install, as clean looking as you can, place little or no tube bend stress on the hose barbs/water blocks with no more chance of a leak than any other two clamps tube install. Used properly they will reduce the amount of tubing in your water loop and that means less $$$.

Viper

Movieman
08-13-2008, 11:25 PM
Guy I see a lot of ways people have tried to make tight U-Bends here and Ihave used them all myself over the last 20 years of WC'ing.

Face it Smart coils are uglier than dirt, are a time consuming pain in the ass to work with and worst of all increase vastly increase the tube bend stress on the nose barbs and water blocks. Just try them on a 1/2" tube ID U-Bend with the hose barbs only 2 1/2 to 3" apart center to center. That is typical of a CPU to NorthBridge jump or an SLI/CF pair of GFX card (where you do not want tube bend stresses at all).

Yes you could make a ghetto U-Bend with copper fittings but they to look like crap plus you now have (4) extra hose clamp connection on unbarbed fittings. That is four more places for a water leak to develope and kill something a heck of a lot more expensive than a Viper Tight Bend. Also unless you are using a pair sweep copper tube 90's (Long Elbows), which are about $3.00 each at McMaster, you are increasing flow restriction in the loop.

Yes you could try and make your own but assuming you did ever succeed in making a couple of 2 1/2 native hose barb spaced U-bends without a kink or ID reduction how much time and Tygon do you think you would go through trying???

You can cut two U-Bends for each Viper Tight Bend unit. At 14.95, which is the NCIX Canadian $$$ price BTW, that is $7.50 per U-bend. $2.00 of that is Tygon that you would have to purchase to try and make your own. Now how much of your time is worth $5.00 per bend to try and make em. Screw around for an hour and you lost 10 bucks worth of your time and you still, in all probability, will not have a usable part to plumb with.

The VTB's are fast to cut and install, as clean looking as you can, place little or no tube bend stress on the hose barbs/water blocks with no more chance of a leak than any other two clamps tube install. Used properly they will reduce the amount of tubing in your water loop and that means less $$$.

Viper

Hello John,
I wish these were around when I was watercooling my dual clover.
To get a bend to go from one cpu to the other wth Tygon I had to make the loop "long" enough that it extended just outside the side of the case.
Not an issue for me but your product would have solved the issue.
Good luck with this. Very reasonably priced for what it does.

Kibbler
08-14-2008, 12:02 AM
Viperjohn: I'm only a n00b. No one here doubts your experience and expertise, I'm sure of it. But there's no room for constructive discussion here if there are only two sides: One side speculating on how these bends are accomplished, and the other side telling us that our ideas are no good, buy my product instead.

I honestly agree that your VTBs are nice and fairly priced. But surely with 20 years of WC experience you can understand and appreciate the DIY spirit. No one's forcing you to share your trade secrets, people just want to try it themselves.

Ghetto is ghetto, and ghetto is ugly. But if out of the WC ghettos someone comes up with an effective DIY way to make tight bends, that's great for the community. There's no reason to discourage that. Besides, people are spending hundreds of $$ on rads, blocks, etc. Cost of Tygon as an example is not even in the same ballpark.

Just my humble n00b opinion.

eXa
08-14-2008, 12:44 AM
Ill take a picture of my friends tubing going around the cpu (2x mosfets, the cpu and the nb) All the thight bends were just cut a piece of tubing, shape it, boil it and let it cool down(just by it self, didnt even use cold water) firsts attempts. So no need to go through tons of tubing, it just was that easy.

But ill give u that though, we use masterkleer and not tygon. I guess its easier to work with then....
And im not saying ur product is an stupid idea, probably plenty who will buy it. Just saying it can be done quite easily by urself.

gazmtk
08-14-2008, 03:16 AM
I really love the Idea, its well priced for something we know WILL work! but for me its $7.50 per U bend, plus the $20 something for the shipping, kills the idea of buying it! stupid postage costs, why cant someone else pay for my shipping..... maybe bill gates, i hear he has money....

kinghong1970
08-14-2008, 04:25 AM
Viper,
you make some real nice stuff and nobody here doubts it...

perhaps some of the initial comments may have gotten to you... i know that i would be pissed...
knowing it's in Canadian Dollars makes more sense...

any thoughts of introducing elbows also?

eXa
08-14-2008, 04:32 AM
U can make elbows from it too...

Kibbler
08-14-2008, 04:42 AM
Viper,
you make some real nice stuff and nobody here doubts it...

perhaps some of the initial comments may have gotten to you... i know that i would be pissed...

any thoughts of introducing elbows also?
Lulz! As of today 1 US dollar = 1.057 CAD. It's almost the same dude...

MrMojoZ
08-14-2008, 05:44 AM
Lulz! As of today 1 US dollar = 1.057 CAD. It's almost the same dude...

Besides the point, things sold in Canada are often priced diffrently than things sold in the US.

Bojamijams
08-14-2008, 06:01 AM

Viper

AHHHHAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!

So THAT is why my damn bottom GFX block is being lifted off the chip!

Damn those smart coils. Okay.. placing an order for one of these now. Thanks VIPER!!!!!!

aspire.comptech
08-14-2008, 07:42 AM

$15 cad equals $14.08

The Canadian dollar isn't worth much less than the USD

kinghong1970
08-14-2008, 07:44 AM
ok ok ok... i forgot to put my brain in my head today... oK? i'm thinking in the past!

Geesh! give tha fool a break...

:D