PDA

View Full Version : Read if Vista freezes on you when using RAID

negev
08-12-2008, 02:28 PM
Okay I've just had the most annoying problem ever, but thankfully I think I've now fixed it *prays it doesn't break again just as I click submit on this post ;)*

Basically my system started freezing completely out of the blue, except that it wasn't like a hardlock it was just windows, the mouse still moved. This happened no matter what I did, even in safe mode, and seemed to start after I had been copying files around.

I use 3x1TB disks in RAID5 on the ICH9R raid controller on the Blackops. Apparently there is an incompatibility between Vista and the controller, and unless you have the latest version of the Intel Matrix Storage drivers, the power-saving functions in vista cause the system to freeze.

This is documented in greater detail here: http://www.flyingnerd.com/intel-raid-problem-under-windows-vista/

but I would advise anyone using this board to download the latest Intel Matrix Storage drivers, and install them in safe mode, as my system has worked fine for two weeks and this just suddenly started happening.

latest for vista64:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=2101&OSFullName=Windows+Vista*+64&lang=eng&strOSs=150&submit=Go!

Hope this post saves someone else from going through several very frustrating hours!

negev
08-13-2008, 03:08 AM
Seems I was wrong, i ended up reinstalling my entire system and still the error persists. I now think it's either a) broken motherboard or b) because i'm using the very latest intel chipset/raid drivers from intel.com and not the ones from foxconn.

Going to try one more reinstall using the drivers from foxconn and if its still freezing then the board is going back.

negev
08-13-2008, 12:52 PM
To anyone interested, this is now fixed by using the drivers from the foxconn website (not the quantum force website) and the Matrix Storage Manager from the CD that came with it.

The drivers that Fox Live Update now wants to download are the versions that caused my raid to break.

Rattle
08-14-2008, 12:17 AM
i had issues with raid 0 on certain versions of the intel matrix storage manager drivers. i would get system freeze, hard lock and bad ray array on boot. I just use the same driver all the time now and the problem is fixed.

negev
08-14-2008, 06:17 AM
Thankfully i didn't lose any data when it happened to me, but windows would lock up like you say. I would have cried if i did lose my array as i have over 1tb of data thats not backed up anywhere ;)

saaya
08-16-2008, 01:05 AM
thanks for the headsup negev! :toast:
what driver version does work fine and what driver version caused you guys trouble?

negev
08-16-2008, 01:23 AM
The one from the Blackops CD works fine, I had problems after upgrading my Chipset and Intel Matrix Storage Manager drivers to the latest ones provided by Fox LiveUpdate. I'm not sure if the chipset driver is relevant, i think it was more likely the IMSM that broke it.

alphakry
11-30-2008, 05:23 AM
hows this been working for you since?

I just started having this exact same issue, but using a different controller.

Drives: (3) Raid5 arrays of (5) 750GB Seagate 7200.10 drives
Controller: HighPoint RocketRAID 2340
Mobo: MSI Diamond P6N

The mouse moves fine but will freeze up not allowing keyboard input. This occurs immediately once windows starts - so i can't even enter the login password.
Symptoms started immediately upon installing Vista 64. Once i ran the update driver wizard and installed the latest highpoint drivers for one adapter, windows would sit stuck at the loading bar screen.
I loaded last known working configuration, got back into windows and noticed the device manager listed 2 adapters that needed drivers. I then did the above step with both instead of just one and was able to login and use it normally.
I got maybe a dozen normal expected uses out of it before it began this now constant freezing issue.

markm75
12-26-2008, 10:37 AM
I've had a similar issue, over 3 different motherboards used..

I'm beginning to think it is raid related as well, but dedicated raid in my case..

I'm using the 3ware 9650SE card under vista x64 with the latest drivers installed.

I have a raid5 array on this card.. i've had two different types of raid5, both exibit the same issue.. one was 4 x 500GB sata II's and now with 4x 1.5TB..

Frankly i'm out of ideas, short of using a single drive not on that raid card for awhile and see if the problem occurs again..

My main issue occurs either on boot up, where things are movable and often you can click and close windows, but task manager wont come up and you cant shut the system down gracefully.

It can also occur doing simple things like loading FSX (which is actually using the C drive, not the D drive array)...

safan80
12-26-2008, 08:50 PM
hows this been working for you since?

I just started having this exact same issue, but using a different controller.

Drives: (3) Raid5 arrays of (5) 750GB Seagate 7200.10 drives
Controller: HighPoint RocketRAID 2340
Mobo: MSI Diamond P6N

The mouse moves fine but will freeze up not allowing keyboard input. This occurs immediately once windows starts - so i can't even enter the login password.
Symptoms started immediately upon installing Vista 64. Once i ran the update driver wizard and installed the latest highpoint drivers for one adapter, windows would sit stuck at the loading bar screen.
I loaded last known working configuration, got back into windows and noticed the device manager listed 2 adapters that needed drivers. I then did the above step with both instead of just one and was able to login and use it normally.
I got maybe a dozen normal expected uses out of it before it began this now constant freezing issue.

I haven't had this problem with my asus X48, Evga x58, or GB x58. I did have it on my DFI x48 with a beta bios though. it must be a bios problem.

alphakry
12-29-2008, 01:13 PM
hmm. interesting. Works 100% fine using my XP 64 partition. Only Vista seems to have this issue.