PDA

View Full Version : Sprint EvDO vs AT&T 3G/UMTS

strange|ife
08-11-2008, 11:40 PM
I have AT&T right now with a 2 year old flip phone..dont laugh ok lol

Im thinking of getting that new HTC Touch pro coming out for sprint on sept 2nd. Looks sick.

How is speed compared? I read good things about sprints mobile broad band, not so good about AT&T. But they apparently are still rolling out 3G especially sine iphone release. And according to the maps on their site, coverage is 80% in vegas.

anyway if anyone has either service chime in with what D/l speed and connectivity quality you are getting.

zanzabar
08-12-2008, 12:19 AM
they are the same, sprint, verizon and ATT all use the same 3G network for data the difference is pricing and sprint and verizon use cdma voice instead of GSM

so get the phone that u want

krogen
08-12-2008, 07:03 AM
they are the same, sprint, verizon and ATT all use the same 3G network for data the difference is pricing and sprint and verizon use cdma voice instead of GSM

so get the phone that u want

They're both 3G but the networks are different. Sprint uses EVDO while AT&T uses HSDPA. Sprint has a better coverage (since AT&T started a bit later rolling out their service), but AT&T has a higher theoretical bandwidth (3.1Mb EVDO rev.a vs 14.4Mb HSDPA download - according to Wikipedia).

zanzabar
08-12-2008, 09:09 PM
They're both 3G but the networks are different. Sprint uses EVDO while AT&T uses HSDPA. Sprint has a better coverage (since AT&T started a bit later rolling out their service), but AT&T has a higher theoretical bandwidth (3.1Mb EVDO rev.a vs 14.4Mb HSDPA download - according to Wikipedia).

but thats the way that they send and receive but the 3g towers are the same, its like tcp v udp, they go over the same lines but function differently

and were i am there is high speed 3g and 3g depending on the aria

strange|ife
09-02-2008, 08:30 PM
I think i I will be going with sprint, the New HTC devices should be on market this week. I had a chance to demo a PDA from a buddy who was on sprint, I was getting almost 2.5Meg from a speed test. From people I talked to at school who had/have verizon they said they avg less then a meg, of course they could be on during peak hours..pretty much either service is good i guess, but sprint has the better price/performance ratio this time.

thanks for the input though.

gr8golf
09-03-2008, 10:10 AM
That new HTC Touch Pro looks like a killer phone - will put one on my Sprint # the day of release. :up:

BlueAqua
09-05-2008, 02:04 PM
That new HTC Touch Pro looks like a killer phone - will put one on my Sprint # the day of release. :up:

When does it come out? Can you get it for Sprint?

I really need a Sprint phone and want one that works well and packs a lot of features.

The Nemesis
09-05-2008, 03:53 PM
I'm currently on the first HTC touch connected to the internet on my laptop via bluetooth using the touch.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/319006951.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

Now if I connect to is using the usb I get over 300KB. I love this phone. I'm @ work right now in a factory and when I can use the laptop the phone does everything the laptop does.

Circaflex
09-05-2008, 05:48 PM
When does it come out? Can you get it for Sprint?

I really need a Sprint phone and want one that works well and packs a lot of features.

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2008/08/sprintleak2.jpg

That is of course price of the phone without contract or upgrade discounts. Im getting one for sure.

Ashraf
09-05-2008, 05:56 PM
I am a Sprint subscriber. The device is BlackBerry 8830 World Edition smartphone. :up:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/319042511.png

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a379/AHossain/XtremeSystems/90455825.png

BlueAqua
09-05-2008, 06:23 PM
That is of course price of the phone without contract or upgrade discounts. Im getting one for sure.

Great! Thanks for the information. I couldn't find a solid date anywhere I looked. I'm sure I'll pick up two for my wife and I whenever it comes out. Thanks Circaflex.

Lestat
09-06-2008, 12:12 AM
wowwwww you guys are SERIOUSLY misinformed, big time.

Sprint and ATT use 2 entirely different frequencies for the cell phones and cellular data service.
if they all used the same stuff then you would never even be able to use your cell phone to talk on because of the massive collision you would have in the frequencies

Sprint
CDMA - SLOWEST, like trying to crap out a watermelon
EVDO - SLOW - like trying to crap out a cucumber
EVDO Rev A is the faster version of EVDO and you NEED to find out which is in your area. EVDO Rev A will give you around 1.5mb and if you are lucky 2mb.
Upstream is typically MUCH slower. about 128k, but i have seen some people reporting 1.5mb down and around 1mb up.

ATT
uses Edge and HSUPA (newer faster 3G released in China), and HSDPA, and 3G. ( i am not 1005 certain but i think HSDPA IS 3G.. but not for sure
3G is harder to come by so you need to make 1000% certain that you are has 3G becaus emost do not. if you have a 3G capable phone just open it and you will see the little 3G symbol on the screen.
if you do not see that symbol then you DO NOT have 3G in your area. and you will have ONLY Edge mode which is nothing more than 56k on a cellphone.