PDA

View Full Version : Cooling 4870X2 with two blocks ?

Omarko
08-11-2008, 09:37 PM
hey guys

I am getting 4870X2 in next few days and I want to plug it into my loop.

now I know there are no blocks atm from the likes of EK ... BUT .... I was thinking of slapping 2 x Dtek Fuzion v2 GPU blocks on each of the individual GPUs ...

there seem to be the standard 4 holes around each GPU on the PCB ... and it appears to be standard size ... I think I'll just have to be careful not to squash the GPUs when putting the blocks on as there is nothing around them for further support.

can this work ? thoughts ?

PS: I already have 2 of these blocks on its way .... so .... heh ....

EDIT: lots of pics here , looks like standard 4870 hole distances - LINK CLICK HERE (http://www.anandtech.com/GalleryImage.aspx?id=3333)

dubtown
08-11-2008, 09:41 PM
you be the ginea pig :)

Omarko
08-11-2008, 09:44 PM
you be the ginea pig :)

haha ... well ... if nobody knows I guess I wont have a choice .. hahahahhaah :)

but seriously ... can someone suss out what the hole distances are on the 4870X2 ?

philbrown23
08-11-2008, 10:33 PM
the whole distances on the X2 cards are smaller than the regular single gpu cards, I have proof if ya'll need it ;)

Omarko
08-11-2008, 10:35 PM
the whole distances on the X2 cards are smaller than the regular single gpu cards, I have proof if ya'll need it ;)

please provide ... cheers

EDIT: I can see it does not work on the 3870X2 - LINK to PIC (http://images.hardwarecanucks.com/image/skymtl/GPU/HD3870X2/HD3870X2-77.jpg) but the 4870X2 looks different ....

EDIT2: LOOKS like MCW60 fits :) (http://www.xtremesystems.org/Forums/showpost.php?p=2776928&postcount=75)

Aldy402
08-12-2008, 08:38 AM
glad it uses ram plates as well....
this should def. help..

Nsomniac
08-12-2008, 09:19 AM
Has anyone come out with a full cover block for these? I didn't see any on EK or DD. My card arrives tomorrow, so I'll just remove the 8800gts from the loop in the mean time, but has any word come through that any will exist?

BTW anyone want an EK 8800gts 640 FC block? hehe

x0vash0x
08-12-2008, 11:33 AM
Has anyone come out with a full cover block for these? I didn't see any on EK or DD. My card arrives tomorrow, so I'll just remove the 8800gts from the loop in the mean time, but has any word come through that any will exist?

BTW anyone want an EK 8800gts 640 FC block? hehe

http://www.koolance.com/water-cooling/product_info.php?product_id=731

I want to OC this card, so I'm wondering how it will preform.

Nsomniac
08-12-2008, 11:49 AM
It will probably look like the 3870x2 block right. They don't have pictures up yet. I wonder how they are going to cool the memory chips on the back of the card. The cheap way would be to just re-use the backplate from the air cooled solution.

To be honest I'd rather go with an acetal look to match the rest of my system.

Omarko
08-12-2008, 01:04 PM
I would really like to see some pics of the stock HSF taken off and apart .... whether its possible to use the plates to keep cooling the ram, vrms etc ... and combine with two fuzion v2 blocks ...

Nsomniac
08-12-2008, 02:09 PM
it looks like it would be possible to re-use the back plate, if you had something to screw it into on the other side. You might be able to use a cutting wheel to remove the center pieces around the gpu's and put the fuzion block in there to cool the gpu and re-use parts of the stock cooler for ram and mosfet cooling.

See here OC club image of stock cooler removed. (http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/sapphire_4870x2/images/29a.htm)

You may need to find a solution for the bridge chip too.

I don't like cutting up the stock cooler though because you'll never be able to go back to air to sell it or re-use in a non-wc project.

Actually in this picture madshrimps (http://www.madshrimps.be/articles/ATIHD4870X2vsNVIDIAGTX280-High-EndVGACom-jmke-23975.jpg) It shows the separate copper heatsinks. Looks much easier there.

Omarko
08-12-2008, 02:14 PM
yeah .... I hate the idea of ANY cutting too .... kills the warranty as well ... I would only use the stock cooler plates if I dont have to mod them :( ...

btw the madshrimps pic does not work :(

Nsomniac
08-12-2008, 02:19 PM
Strange, well here's the link to that page http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&number=2&artpage=3653&articID=864

I think if the fusion blocks can be made to work within those holes you'd be set.

Omarko
08-12-2008, 02:40 PM
I see the pic now ... if the holes are aligned and if the blocks fit and sit on the GPUs firmly it may be possible ...

too many IFs ... dont know if its worth spending all this money on 4870X2 ... might be just easier to get 2nd 4870 and crossfire the two ....

ripken204
08-12-2008, 02:44 PM
well last week the DD 4870X2 blocks went into production for testing, so assuming that all went well, they should be available soon.

Nsomniac
08-12-2008, 02:44 PM
Well I already spent it, card arrives tomorrow. I'll measure it up for you guys, I won't be doing the water cooling for a bit though...waiting on blocks for the new x48 board and then I'll do both at the same time.

Omarko
08-12-2008, 02:47 PM
yeah that would be awesome ... I am so tempted and go down the road and pick one up this morning ...

must ..... re .... si ... st ...

Dangals
08-12-2008, 02:51 PM
well last week the DD 4870X2 blocks went into production for testing, so assuming that all went well, they should be available soon.

Nice! Now all we need to know is when ek is going to bring theirs out and whoever has the best one will be going on mine when I get it!:up:

ripken204
08-12-2008, 03:01 PM
Nice! Now all we need to know is when ek is going to bring theirs out and whoever has the best one will be going on mine when I get it!:up:

ya but whats stupid is that they are designing the X2 block before the 4870 block.. so stupid

at least it caused me to wait and to most likely pic up an X2 instead.

Dangals
08-12-2008, 03:11 PM
ya but whats stupid is that they are designing the X2 block before the 4870 block.. so stupid

at least it caused me to wait and to most likely pic up an X2 instead.

tell me about it - I pre-orderded the 4870 block from my local last month when they said it would be about 7-10 days and I am still waiting for it....:shakes: makes me want to tell them to give my money back I will just order it from overseas and ship it here (which would be quicker:rofl:)

but if what you are saying is true then hopefully we shouldn't have to wait to long before they are out.:up:

Omastar
08-12-2008, 03:11 PM
How are you planning on cooling the PLX bridge chip?

ripken204
08-12-2008, 03:23 PM
tell me about it - I pre-orderded the 4870 block from my local last month when they said it would be about 7-10 days and I am still waiting for it....:shakes: makes me want to tell them to give my money back I will just order it from overseas and ship it here (which would be quicker:rofl:)

but if what you are saying is true then hopefully we shouldn't have to wait to long before they are out.:up:

well thats what DD told me in an email when i asked about their 4870 block:

We are actually designing up the X2 right now...and I'm hoping to have the first test part off the machines on Thursday. The regular 4870 should follow next week.

Thursday being July 31st

Omarko
08-12-2008, 03:25 PM
How are you planning on cooling the PLX bridge chip?

well if I used the stock heatsink without the two copper bits then that would cool the ram, vrms and the PLX chip ...

Nsomniac
08-13-2008, 06:20 PM
Well ok I got it, but for the life of me I can't get the cover off. I've gotten the back and front pieces off but can't remove the plastic duct piece that covers the copper blocks. I have a screwdriver small enough to fit, but can get enough grip on it without possibly stripping the screws. It doesn't look like the wholes are big enough for anything but southbridge chips to fit in there, unless the cover sits a bit lower and the blocks could overlap the portion that cools the ram. I'm going to wait for a full cover from ek or dd. At any rate, here's the dimmensions for the screws. 43mm x 43mm (62mm on the diagonal) measured from center of the hole. The whole on the face for the two copper blocks is smaller than the screwposts ...much smaller on one. I put it back together though when I couldn't get the cover off.

I really hope the ram doesn't need much cooling - that is a lot of chips under the backplate.

I re-seated the chips with new thermal paste - they used alot. It's just thermal tape (white stuff) on the ram and bridge chips. Same for power.

Omarko
08-13-2008, 07:47 PM
bummer ... it wont fit then ... cause the block alone is 50.2mm LINK (http://www.dtekcustoms.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=222)

we'll have to wait for the full cover block ...

my card has crazy temps though .. there is difference of 30C between GPU1 and GPU2 ... prol cause the first one gets a blow of cold air .. but the 2nd chip gets only hot one ... :down: