PDA

View Full Version : Watercooling setup

Chris1985
08-11-2008, 05:11 AM
Hey everyone, new guy here :)

i'm planning on building a watercooled setup and i need some opinions on the watercoolingparts.

I'll be cooling the processor with the north- and southbridge in one loop.

PCparts are:
Intel C2D E8400
DFI Lanparty X38 T2R
ATi HD4870x2
Zalman MFC-2 fancontroller
and then some other random junk

The case i'll be building it all in is a Antec P182.
I'm planning on setting up the rad at the back (vertically).

The parts:
2 x EK-NB/SB 5
3 x Feser Tube 3/8 (13/10mm) - 1 meter (Clear)
1 x Yate Loon 120MM D12SL-12 Black 1350RPM
1 x 12V Laing DDC-1T Pro 10W met XSPC Acrylic Reservoir
6 x 10MM (3/8) Schroeffitting - G1/4
2 x 10MM (3/8) Schroeffitting 90 graden - G1/4
1 x XSPC RS240 Black
1 x EK Supreme CPU Block - Clear Plexi
1 x Revoltec Y-Splitter
1 x Feser One - F1 - Cooling Fluid - UV BLUE
1 x AC Ryan TWIN-10 CCFL Light 2x10cm UV & UV

Reason why i'm taking only one fan is that i already have a Yate on backorder, which i'll have at the end of this week.

Now, the questions:
What's the best way of flushing the rad? A friend of mine suggested putting it under the tap and blowing it out with a compressor after. Won't this damage the rad? It's able to cope with 8 bar, but i'm not sure...

How should i set up the rad? With the barbs at the top or at the bottom? Does it matter at all? If i doesn't, i was thinking about putting the holes at the bottom (won't need as much tubing then).
I'll be using the pre-cut holes, that are already present to guide the tubing in & out.

Are all parts there? Do i need any extra stuff?

Thanks for looking into this.
Chris

fatman
08-11-2008, 05:12 AM
quick question, why you going to cool the north and south just curious?

Bojamijams
08-11-2008, 05:21 AM
P182 is not the friendliest WC case from what I hear.

Did you look and see if other people did it and how?

Chris1985
08-11-2008, 05:26 AM
quick question, why you going to cool the north and south just curious?

i plan on overclocking the E84 and want to make sure everything keeps it's cool. Other than that i don't exactly like the big heatsink on the northbridge (too bulky).
Might drop the cooling on the southbridge though.
not 100% sure.

if you guys say it's no problem on oc'ing it on air, i'll drop it.

P182 is not the friendliest WC case from what I hear.

Did you look and see if other people did it and how?

True. Wish i had the Cosmos S, tbh
But already had this case from another setup and don't want to drop another 200 euro's on the Cosmos S.
I'll see if i can show you guys in paint or something (not exactly good at graphical stuff)

Chris1985
08-11-2008, 05:55 AM
Here's how it could look like. Mind you, as i've said before, i suck at taking pictures and at drawing.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/CplSmith/DSC00112Water.jpg?t=1218462619

that's what i'm planning on putting together.

:welcome: to XS......

I'm definately the most vocal proponent of the EK Supreme, but you're setup would be better served with a less restrictive block...

I suggest you run only the EK Supreme + NB, find a heatsink and fan for your SB...

I have the EK Supreme / NB / SB / MOSTETS, but I have 3 loops and 4 pumps....

Good Luck and have FUN....:up:

Thank you :)
i'll drop the SB-block.
What do you recommend as per cpu-block? a D-Tek Fuzion v.2?
Also, when overclocking, does the southbridge also heat up?
I generally thought it was only the cpu and northbridge

Bojamijams
08-11-2008, 06:02 AM
Yeah the southbridge is just related to SATA / PCI-E / USB etc so its not going to heat up when you overclock. Nothing that air flow through the case can't handle anyway.

And yes the Fuzion v2 would be better for you.

Unless you want to wait for the Swiftech GTZ and see how it pans out

Conumdrum
08-11-2008, 06:02 AM
The V2 is one of the other good ones, and it's flow rate is better. To cool the SB, many get an aftermarket HS, the Thermalright HR05 is very nice and usually good enuff to be passive. This one is also pretty good, and I'm actualy using it with no fan due to space restictions, with an 80mm up higher blow air on it.
http://www.petrastechshop.com/enslonfocoso.html

the SB does get hotter and if your running BIG gpu's with an OC, the data is pretty fast through there. So yes, it's not a bad idea.

Chris1985
08-11-2008, 06:30 AM
Yeah the southbridge is just related to SATA / PCI-E / USB etc so its not going to heat up when you overclock. Nothing that air flow through the case can't handle anyway.

And yes the Fuzion v2 would be better for you.

Unless you want to wait for the Swiftech GTZ and see how it pans out

The V2 is one of the other good ones, and it's flow rate is better. To cool the SB, many get an aftermarket HS, the Thermalright HR05 is very nice and usually good enuff to be passive. This one is also pretty good, and I'm actualy using it with no fan due to space restictions, with an 80mm up higher blow air on it.
http://www.petrastechshop.com/enslonfocoso.html

the SB does get hotter and if your running BIG gpu's with an OC, the data is pretty fast through there. So yes, it's not a bad idea.

Got it. Fuzion v2 it is then.
I'll also be putting an HR05 on the southbridge.
Won't be coming from the same shop, but oh well

Thanks guys.

Also, as per my questions:
What's the best way of flushing the rad? A friend of mine suggested putting it under the tap and blowing it out with a compressor after. Won't this damage the rad? It's able to cope with 8 bar, but i'm not sure...

How should i set up the rad? With the barbs at the top or at the bottom? Does it matter at all? If i doesn't, i was thinking about putting the holes at the bottom (won't need as much tubing then).

Phat Korean
08-11-2008, 07:23 AM
here (http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=419172&highlight=antec+p182) are some pics over at OCF that show people wc'ing their p180 to p182. hope this helps give you a few ideas.

kinghong1970
08-11-2008, 08:47 AM
ha ha ha... 8 posts and everyone comments but fails to answer his questions...

OP, near boiling hot water, run it through, swish it a bit... and it should take care of most of your flux.

compressed air... nah... not worth the risk...
just run couple of passes of near boiling water... keep it there, swish it, drain, repeat a couple of times...

then rinse it out with distilled water... see if pours out nice and clean, if not, repeat.

heck, despite all the advice, i've even gone done a light vinegar solution and rinsed it with distilled... no probs either... but vinegar is not necessary any more...

stick to near boiling water...

wear oven mits, should help... but of course, if you are sloppy and soak your oven mitts in hot water... then you're in even more hotter water... ha ha ha... xcuse the pun...

skinnee
08-11-2008, 08:56 AM
RRR, when you actually get that EK Supreme running you can resume recommending it...until then...sshh! :D

IanY
08-11-2008, 09:05 AM
If you don't deal with boiling water straight out of the kettle/pot, it won't splatter that easily (let it sit for a few minutes). Fresh boiling water that's bubbling splatters like no tomorrow, even if you have super big oven mitts and pour the water carefully down a funnel. Be careful and don't burn yourself!

My son got boiling water that hit his lower arm. It hurts like crazy.

kinghong1970
08-11-2008, 09:06 AM
hence i told my wife, we need to go to chef central to pick up some of thems new silicone oven mitts...

needless to say, i'm trying real hard to burn holes on our current mitts...

IanY
08-11-2008, 09:09 AM
You can do it like me... go to the garage and fire up the pressure washer lol ***on the lowest setting for just a few seconds*** {full CYA disclaimer lol}

kinghong1970
08-11-2008, 09:17 AM
for oven mitts or wc'ing stuff?

kinghong1970
08-11-2008, 09:35 AM
couple of local stores, maybe.. but not really... internet is what i rely on... i heard that there was a microcenter in Long Island but i live in NJ so it's a bit out of reach for me...

we got chinatown... good place to find all kind of stuffs...

that's bout it...

B&H is a pretty decent retailer better than J&R and WorstBuy and your wonder retailer list... ha ha ha

IanY
08-11-2008, 10:17 AM
Hey Konghong,
You know that MicroCenter is in Patterson in North Jersey too, right? :) right? :)

kinghong1970
08-11-2008, 10:40 AM
my wife hates you now...

lol...

Chris1985
08-11-2008, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the explenation guys :up:

btw, does it matter on how the radiator is mounted?
with the in/outtake pointing upwards or downwards (verticaly)?

and can i submerge the rad entirely?
or will this damage and cause corrosion on the fins?
and are there any rads i can do this with?

IanY
08-11-2008, 12:28 PM
You should try not to submerge radiators. Their frames are usually made of steel (even though the pipes and fins are copper) and can potentially rust.

Doesn't quite matter how your orientate radiators as long as they are all properly bled and there are no air bubbles inside. I don't know about XSPC radiators, but many radiators have bleeding screws to help with the removal of air bubbles.

Chris1985
08-11-2008, 12:30 PM
Ok, thanks IanY :up: