PDA

View Full Version : Dual CPU mobo for nehalem from foxconn?

s0lid
08-11-2008, 02:21 AM
Could u guys make an DP mobo for DP xeon nehalems if those cpus have OC capabilities for us dual socket fans in xs and other cpu bite crunching maniacs :D?

I'm certainly gonna get set of 2 nehalem xeons, mobo for them and couple gigs of ddr3 pretty soon after their release...

saaya
08-11-2008, 05:13 PM
mhhhh dual socket ocing is quite tricky... let me check into that with our engineers ok? :)

s0lid
08-11-2008, 10:52 PM
mhhhh dual socket ocing is quite tricky... let me check into that with our engineers ok? :)

Ok thx.
Far as i know the upcoming X58 chipset supports Dual prosessor option.

After the skulltrail publishemt Dual cpu comps won't be that rare as they used to be in normal desktop use... Just good OCing mobo needed :D

Hopefully this generation of DP xeons uses regular DDR3 and not DDR3 ECC or DDR3 FB-DIMM, would be much cheaper and they won't limit fsb like DDR2 FB-DIMM did.

E: After little wikipedia reading i found this out :P

Gainestown is the codename for DP nehalem Xeons, they are Quads with HT (4 physical cores, 8threads at same time), they use LGA1366 socket, supports DDR3 in triplechannel, TPD is 130W/chip and their relase is at Q3 2008.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nehalem_(microarchitecture)

Movieman
08-11-2008, 10:55 PM
Dual socket? I smelled this thread a mile away..:p:

s0lid
08-11-2008, 10:59 PM
Dual socket? I smelled this thread a mile away..:p:

Sure u did :p

saaya
08-12-2008, 09:12 PM
Dual socket? I smelled this thread a mile away..:p:i was surprised you didnt start a thread about this yourself about 2 motnhs ago or so :D :lol:

solid, the xeons will use ddr3 ecc, but no more fbdimm, at least as far as i know.
and x58 is essentially a server chipset, so yeah, its built for multi cpu configs.
but overclocking a single nehalem cpu is already quite tricky, ocing several in tandem will be quite a challange... but as i said, ill check if we can do it :)

Movieman
08-12-2008, 09:32 PM
i was surprised you didnt start a thread about this yourself about 2 motnhs ago or so :D :lol:

solid, the xeons will use ddr3 ecc, but no more fbdimm, at least as far as i know.
and x58 is essentially a server chipset, so yeah, its built for multi cpu configs.
but overclocking a single nehalem cpu is already quite tricky, ocing several in tandem will be quite a challange... but as i said, ill check if we can do it :)

I never considered that FoxxConn would do a dualie so I didn't ask.
I use their boards in my video surveylance units and they hold up nicely.
Here's one for you.
Today I was in a bank where I'd installed a system over a year ago.
PC based, Foxxconn board, P4-2660,3-320 gig drives..
They'd moved the system into a closed cabinet
The only openings were 2-2.5" holes for the elec wires and the cables for the 10 cameras. Those pretty much filled the holes.
Now here I am in this air conditioned room and I open the cabinet door and it's like a wave of heat that hit me.
Had to be close to 180F in that cabinet.
They told me their "handyman" put it in there in January to hide it.
I'm amazed that it didn't shutdown.
I put in a wedge to keep the door open and taped a note to the top not to close it.

On the memory, DDR3-1333 ECC is going to be the standard for the dual socket Gainstown systems.

Harshal
08-12-2008, 10:41 PM
Very interesting indeed. :)

STEvil
08-12-2008, 11:19 PM
Should have made a seaburg board so we dont have to fight with asus for bioses that work lol ;)

s0lid
08-13-2008, 12:05 AM
Should have made a seaburg board so we dont have to fight with asus for bioses that work lol ;)

Hehe yea :D
I'll wait info is this project possible and is the dual gainestown overclocking possible.

DDR3-1333 ECC should be enought fast for anything and cheap at gainestown release :)

saaya
08-13-2008, 06:17 PM
I never considered that FoxxConn would do a dualie so I didn't ask.who do you think is building all the server boards for the big guys like dell? ;)

about the pc thing, yeah, ive heard similar stories so many times...
the best was at cebit last year tho, enermax and some other company both build plexi glass boxes with running systems inside, without ANY holes for air moving whatsoever :rolleyes:

so on the second day they were busy drilling loads of holes into the plexi glass boxes :lol:

i checked, and we can def do it... but if itll be ocable is another thing... :/
you guys should be able to shut down ecc btw, which should give a small perf boost actually :D

s0lid
08-13-2008, 07:45 PM
who do you think is building all the server boards for the big guys like dell? ;)

the best was at cebit last year tho, enermax and some other company both build plexi glass boxes with running systems inside, without ANY holes for air moving whatsoever :rolleyes:

so on the second day they were busy drilling loads of holes into the plexi glass boxes :lol:

you guys should be able to shut down ecc btw, which should give a small perf boost actually :D

Neat :D
Let's us know does this project go anywhere from drawning board :D

zanzabar
08-13-2008, 09:47 PM
who do you think is building all the server boards for the big guys like dell? ;)

can we get 8phase digital (or more) for each cpu, and multi phase high volting power on the ram

HDCHOPPER
08-13-2008, 10:30 PM
:slobber: now yer talken :D

s0lid
08-13-2008, 10:35 PM
can we get 8phase digital (or more) for each cpu, and multi phase high volting power on the ram

Own 16 Phase digital for both Cpu and 4phase for ram :D
Now we're talkin :p

If the OCing is possible, don't for christ sake leave the vcore and other voltage controll too low :D
2.3vcore should be enought

Movieman
08-13-2008, 10:49 PM

ahh, remember, I don't look at Dell's that often..:rofl:
Now what I'd like to see in a dual is vcore and vdimm adjustments in the bios to 1.6 on the vcore and 2.3 on the vdimm
Then a board with 8 phase power minimum, 2 banks of 6 dimm slots,onboard vid, and most important, spacing between the cpu sockets that will allow the use of top HS's.
If the cpu sockets are right next to one another anyone that tries to use something like a TRUE is screwed.
That's what would work for me but to make it also something that would sell to the workstation crowd( a very tough sell to those people as they are devouted SM and Tyan buyers) is adding 2-ver2.0 PCI-e X16 slots, a pci-e X8 slot , and then last a pci 32 or a PCI-X slot.
Yes, PCI-X may be "old" but trust me, in that crowd it is still big.
now when you build this biatch send one here and don't forget the 2-3200EE's and the 6-1 gig sticks of DDR3-1333(or 1600) ECC memory.
I'll provide the rest..:rofl:

zanzabar
08-13-2008, 11:31 PM
Own 16 Phase digital for both Cpu and 4phase for ram :D
Now we're talkin :p

If the OCing is possible, don't for christ sake leave the vcore and other voltage controll too low :D
2.3vcore should be enought

it uses 3 channel ram so u would need 3 or 6 phase per set, so thats 32phase digital cpu and 12phase ram for what u are suggesting

s0lid
08-13-2008, 11:36 PM
ahh, remember, I don't look at Dell's that often..:rofl:
Now what I'd like to see in a dual is vcore and vdimm adjustments in the bios to 2.1 on the vcore and 2.8 on the vdimm
Then a board with 8 phase power minimum, 2 banks of 6 dimm slots,onboard vid, and most important, spacing between the cpu sockets that will allow the use of top HS's, LN2 pots and SS evaps.
If the cpu sockets are right next to one another anyone that tries to use something like a TRUE is screwed.
That's what would work for me but to make it also something that would sell to the workstation crowd( a very tough sell to those people as they are devouted SM and Tyan buyers) is adding 3-ver2.0 PCI-e X16 slots, a pci-e X8 slot , and then last a pci 32 or a PCI-X slot.
Yes, PCI-X may be "old" but trust me, in that crowd it is still big.
now when you build this biatch send ones here and to s0lid and don't forget the 2-3200EE's and the 6-1 gig sticks of DDR3-1333(or 1600) ECC memory.
We'll provide the rest..:rofl:

Corrected it a bit :rofl:
I'd recommend to sell this board as enthusiast board :)

Zytek_Fan
08-13-2008, 11:57 PM
Foxconn will make one, but for another company (Intel).

I wouldn't be surprised if Foxconn made some self branded Nehalem DP boards as well, due to how successful the Quantum Force brand has been.

Movieman
08-14-2008, 12:00 AM
Corrected it a bit :rofl:
I'd recommend to sell this board as enthusiast board :)

I think they'd run into an issue with Intel as Intel will be making a SkullTrail II based on Nehalem.
possible that Foxxconn will be making it for them I'd guess.
Lets see, dual Gainstown at 4000+..on air..
Yup, Permawood..:rofl:

s0lid
08-14-2008, 12:04 AM
I think they'd run into an issue with Intel as Intel will be making a SkullTrail II based on Nehalem.
possible that Foxxconn will be making it for them I'd guess.
Lets see, dual Gainstown at 4000+..on air..
Yup, Permawood..:rofl:

Permawood?
Well I think the main difference would be just ST2 has SLI and Foxconns one don't and price ofc :)
I don't see any problems with this anyways...
4500+ with SS Mmm :rofl:

Movieman
08-14-2008, 12:06 AM
Permawood?
Well I think the main difference would be just ST2 has SLI and Foxconns one don't and price ofc :)
I don't see any problems with this anyways...
4500+ with SS Mmm :ROFL:

Permawood= wood+permanent..:D
Yes, you may be right..Keep it a simple board and Intel should have no issues.

s0lid
08-14-2008, 12:25 AM
Permawood= wood+permanent..:D
Yes, you may be right..Keep it a simple board and Intel should have no issues.

I don't still get it :rofl:

Movieman
08-14-2008, 12:31 AM
I don't still get it :rofl:

HMM, how to explain this.
Over here the expression "wood" means that a certain part of the male anatomy has enlarged due to large amounts of blood being directed there.
This state usually occurs just before procreation..
Have I know explained this in a politically correct manner?:rofl:

s0lid
08-14-2008, 01:18 AM
HMM, how to explain this.
Over here the expression "wood" means that a certain part of the male anatomy has enlarged due to large amounts of blood being directed there.
This state usually occurs just before procreation..
Have I know explained this in a politically correct manner?:rofl:

Now i got it :ROTF:
Didn't get that because haven't heard that wood word were used that way :D
Sry for the fuzz

HDCHOPPER
08-14-2008, 01:25 AM
heheehehee he said wood :rofl:

saaya
09-09-2008, 03:51 AM
just a headsup, officially, intel is NOT making a skulltrail 2 system based on nehalem! :eek:
was quite surprised to hear that myself... but maybe they just dont wanna tell us and keep it secret... well see :D

ill check our own DP boards theese days when i have time :D

Movieman
09-09-2008, 04:09 AM
just a headsup, officially, intel is NOT making a skulltrail 2 system based on nehalem! :eek:
was quite surprised to hear that myself... but maybe they just dont wanna tell us and keep it secret... well see :D

ill check our own DP boards theese days when i have time :D

Make time..Now!:rofl:
:cord:

MomijiTMO
09-09-2008, 04:16 AM
Oh well. :(

Nehalem does have a short life so that could be a reason.

Movieman
09-09-2008, 04:37 AM
Oh well. :(

Nehalem does have a short life so that could be a reason.

Everything has a short life today but I guess that unless we are rich folks we look at what is offerred, decide on when and where we want to spend our money and then buy and be satisfied for X timeframe.
Even with top notch hardware there is always going to be something better "coming out" but if you keep waiting you never have anything "good"..
I'm currently doing 2-X5470's on a water cooled ST board and yes, Nehalem will be better but 8 cores at over 4000 should do me for awhile..:D
At least a day or two..:rofl:

saaya
09-09-2008, 04:53 AM
nehalem a short life?
nehalem is tick, tock will be the 32nm shrink and itll come in over a year... so thats not a short life :confused:
or are you having high hopes for havendale, the mainstream nehalem based chip? :D
i dont think itll compete in the very high end...